Paynefanbro

They are a match made in heaven, I can't stand either of them. I have flown on US airways quite a few times and I would say that 75% of the times there was always a delay of some sort and american airlines have some of the worst looking planes not to mention their maintenance record is poor. Hell, just last month I flew from atlanta to miami on american and after the plane had landed I just so happen to look outside at the wing and noticed that there was about a 10 to 12 inch section of the flaps that had broken off. Now I am not an aeronautical engineer but that can't be safe at all. I took a picture of it and as I was getting off the plane I showed it to the pilot and he just kind of shrugged it off like it was no big deal. Anyway I hope both airlines can turn things around and get back on the right track.

• Like 1

They are a match made in heaven, I can't stand either of them. I have flown on US airways quite a few times and I would say that 75% of the times there was always a delay of some sort and american airlines have some of the worst looking planes not to mention their maintenance record is poor. Hell, just last month I flew from atlanta to miami on american and after the plane had landed I just so happen to look outside at the wing and noticed that there was about a 10 to 12 inch section of the flaps that had broken off. Now I am not an aeronautical engineer but that can't be safe at all. I took a picture of it and as I was getting off the plane I showed it to the pilot and he just kind of shrugged it off like it was no big deal. Anyway I hope both airlines can turn things around and get back on the right track.

I would love to see said picture

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

IMAG0318_1.jpg

I would love to see said picture

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Here you go, I took this pic last month.

• Like 1

I avoid both of them like the plague. US Airways has more modern planes. American has the MD 80/88 fleet that's like a noose around their necks. They also have way too many other plane types, making maintenance difficult and mistake prone and expensive. I hope they get to modernize their fleet.

Pilot was right, something that small will cause no impact to flight at all.

even so, there is no way that the rest of the flap where the piece came off is not at the least slightly damaged, making the possibility for other pieces to fail pretty likely. I would be flipping a nut if I saw that in my aircraft. Maybe that is just my paranoid engineer self, but still. I'm sure faa would love to see that pic.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Pilot was right, something that small will cause no impact to flight at all.

Something that small? It may be small in relation to the over all size of the wing but that is still very significant. Also if they blatantly left it like that who knows what else is wrong with the plane? These things cruise at 550 mph, why take that kind of chance with peoples safety?

• Like 1

Something that small? It may be small in relation to the over all size of the wing but that is still very significant. Also if they blatantly left it like that who knows what else is wrong with the plane? These things cruise at 550 mph, why take that kind of chance with peoples safety?

Yes, small. It is on the back edge of the wing where it has pretty much no wind resistance. Remember the planes that still flew with a huge chunk missing from the cabin? Planes can take more then you think they can. But yes, I would be concerned about this too though.

I avoid both of them like the plague. US Airways has more modern planes. American has the MD 80/88 fleet that's like a noose around their necks. They also have way too many other plane types, making maintenance difficult and mistake prone and expensive. I hope they get to modernize their fleet.

Ah, yes...aviation. My second favorite subject beyond wireless. I love the DC-9/MD-80 series. The 2+3 seating is very convenient. However, these planes are really old and very inefficient. Time for something new.

The last I heard the Bombardier C series was a 2+3 seater. Bombardier is the maker of the CRJ and is expanding into the larger 100-130 seat class narrow body jet category.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

IMAG0318_1.jpg

Here you go, I took this pic last month.

Very cool. I work as a crash/rescue fire fighter at an airport, and am always eager to see stuff like this. Do you happen to know what type of plane it was? 737? Looks low enough to the ground to be a 73. I will keep my eyes open, see if i notice anything like it.

Not to mention pilots having to be trained/certified on different aircraft.

Southwest operates the Boeing 737 and that's it. Saves money all the way around. It will be interesting to see what they do going forward since the merger with Air Tran.

I'm lucky, Southwest has a big presence here in RI and offers direct flights to Fort Lauderdale (I winter in Hallandale a lot.) as well as Tampa and Vegas .

Jet Blue just started flying out of PVD and it's been great since they created fare wars between the two.

My last purchase was 140.00. R/T.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk.

Very cool. I work as a crash/rescue fire fighter at an airport, and am always eager to see stuff like this. Do you happen to know what type of plane it was? 737? Looks low enough to the ground to be a 73. I will keep my eyes open, see if i notice anything like it.

Yeah, it was a 737. When I saw it I was like wtf? Maybe it wasn't that big of a deal to them but it definitely gives the wrong impression when a passenger looks outside and see a section of the wing missing. I love to fly, I probably fly 60k miles a year and this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this.

it's possible that it got dinged up somehow and this was maintenance's answer to a quick repair. The edge looks too clean and rounded. There is concern about asymmetrical flap deployment, on a small aircraft, that might be of concern but on a larger, not so much.

I hate all airlines, but they are necessity of life for some. I spent about 4 years flying around the country for work (mostly up and down the east coast) Glad I only time I fly now is in my friend's Platus PC-12.

Not to mention pilots having to be trained/certified on different aircraft.

Southwest operates the Boeing 737 and that's it. Saves money all the way around. It will be interesting to see what they do going forward since the merger with Air Tran.

I'm lucky, Southwest has a big presence here in RI and offers direct flights to Fort Lauderdale (I winter in Hallandale a lot.) as well as Tampa and Vegas .

Jet Blue just started flying out of PVD and it's been great since they created fare wars between the two.

My last purchase was 140.00. R/T.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk.

AirTran only flies Boeing 737 and 717 and they will get rid of the 717s.

AirTran only flies Boeing 737 and 717 and they will get rid of the 717s.

There is no such aircraft as a Boeing 717. It starts like this 707, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, and finally 787 then you have the McDonnell Douglas Merger which brings into play MD-90's , MD-10's AND MD-11' s. AirTrans has MD-90's and 757's and then there are the smaller jets which are Embraer's. There are also some Airbus 319's also.

There is no such aircraft as a Boeing 717. It starts like this 707, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, and finally 787 then you have the McDonnell Douglas Merger which brings into play MD-90's , MD-10's AND MD-11' s. AirTrans has MD-90's and 757's and then there are the smaller jets which are Embraer's. There are also some Airbus 319's also.

You might want to read this link:

http://www.airtran.com/aircraft/new_717_jets.aspx

You might want to read this link:

http://www.airtran.c...w_717_jets.aspx

And if you go there, the only other aircraft listed is the 737-700

According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirTran_Airways

Airtran only has 737 and 717s

Edited by bigsnake49

That looks more like a updated MD80. That did come out after the merger with MD.

Yes it is but they did not make very many of them and the program was terminated soon after.

Edited by bigsnake49

We are phasing out our 727's, A300's , A310's, MD-10's amd MD-11's and replacing them with 757's and 767's and the 777's we have are being used for international routes.

We are phasing out our 727's, A300's , A310's, MD-10's amd MD-11's and replacing them with 757's and 767's and the 777's we have are being used for international routes.

Who is we?