Paynefanbro

Fed Ex gives away their 727 ships to Airport Fire Departments for training. Really is a great program, that not only the airport department benefits from, but other area rescue agencies. Police use them as well.

I believe fed ex is not phasing out the MD11, but anything bought new is 757+ I know that the Airbus planes are going to the grave yard. Fuel savings alone pays for new planes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Fed Ex gives away their 727 ships to Airport Fire Departments for training. Really is a great program, that not only the airport department benefits from, but other area rescue agencies. Police use them as well.

I believe fed ex is not phasing out the MD11, but anything bought new is 757+ I know that the Airbus planes are going to the grave yard. Fuel savings alone pays for new planes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

They are saying up to a 20 to 30 percent savings in fuel with the new planes. The 777's are replacing the MD-11's in the long routes.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

That looks more like a updated MD80. That did come out after the merger with MD.

Yes indeed. The 717 was built in Long Beach, CA in the same factory as the MD 80 series. The 717 was a great plane. Flown on it twice. It had upgraded cabins over the MD 80's and a completely updated all electronic flight deck like in the new 737 series.

The 717 had a great opportunity to take on the new extended regional jets. But Boeing never considered a shortened version in the 80-100 seat range. Instead, they tried to market it with the 737. The economies of scale of a 737 never made the 717 attractive, side by side. Missed opportunity.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I've not had any love for American since they terminated most of the flights coming out of the old TWA hub in St. Louis.

If this can lead to the old MD-80 fleet going away, however, I'm all for it. Unfortunately the consolidation of the airlines is irreversible at this point.

There is no such aircraft as a Boeing 717. It starts like this 707, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, and finally 787 then you have the McDonnell Douglas Merger which brings into play MD-90's , MD-10's AND MD-11' s. AirTrans has MD-90's and 757's and then there are the smaller jets which are Embraer's. There are also some Airbus 319's also.

Where in the heck did he get his info at about AirTran? Bigsnake is correct. They only have 717's and 737's. I flew on both of them 2 years ago and from MSP to ATL to RDU and back. I thought the 717 wasn't too bad. I am pretty sure AirTran never had 757's.

Where in the heck did he get his info at about AirTran? Bigsnake is correct. They only have 717's and 737's. I flew on both of them 2 years ago and from MSP to ATL to RDU and back. I thought the 717 wasn't too bad. I am pretty sure AirTran never had 757's.

Then you never been to Dulles where AirTrans does fly 757's into. They are used for Charters and parked near the Landmark Service area.

Next time I see one taxi in.

I really hope you can get a pic. According to AirTran's route map, they don't fly into Dulles. But since you did say Charter flights (which I looked into and no metion of 757's) the couriosity is killing me.

I really hope you can get a pic. According to AirTran's route map, they don't fly into Dulles. But since you did say Charter flights (which I looked into and no metion of 757's) the couriosity is killing me.

Could be contractor flying under AirTrans colors , not hard identifying a 757 from the other regional jets.

Could be contractor flying under AirTrans colors , not hard identifying a 757 from the other regional jets.

Does it just have AirTran colors or does it actually say AirTran on the plane? Hmmmmm.

If memory serves, AirTran purchased 757's for Hawaii service. It was the only bird they could get that could meet ETOPs for flying over water long distances. Now the Next Gen 737's meet ETOPs and can be used. I don't know if the Hawaii service was ever even implemented. Although, I may be getting AirTran and ATA confused.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Re: Airtran 757s, they don't exist. You may be thinking of North American Airways, which has a similar color scheme and flies 757s on charters.

Re: the US/AA merger, I'm looking forward to it. Any excuse to get old, worn-out M80s out of the sky. To be fair, the planes could fly for another ten years...Delta maintains their MD-88 fleet quite well and I had no issue flying one DEN-MSP last year...but American doesn't spend enough money on 'em to make you feel like you aren't flying a rustbucket.

Maybe I'm biased, but for good reason. The last two flights I've had on AA have gone wrong in some manner. The most recent one was delayed an hour...and everyone had to stay on the plane...on a 35 minute or so flight (DFW-AUS). The one-way before that, my force-checked bag (force-checked as I was entering the jetway in Orlando, no less!) got stuck in Miami, a four-hour flight from Denver. My bag showed up around 3am the next morning at my doorstep. AA fixed the problem in that case, though I didn't get my checked bag fee back.

For all of their IT woes, I wouldn't mind flying United again (I've flown them three or so times, not counting old Continental flights). Though the vast majority of my travel has been on Frontier or Southwest, with a little Delta (good experience, despite the congested mess that is ATL) and US Airways (good experience0 thrown in, in addition to American. Virgin America will be flying out of Austin soon, but I probably won't need to go to the Bay Area any time soon, so I won't be able to mess with all the tech on their planes.

VX is a great airline experience. Not so great for making money. Virgin first class experience is second to none for domestic service.

My big complaint on flying American MD 88's is the first class experience. Coach is 2+3, which is nice. But in first class they still squeeze in 2+2. The first class cabins in the M88's are so dated and the experience blah.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

VX is a great airline experience. Not so great for making money. Virgin first class experience is second to none for domestic service.

My big complaint on flying American MD 88's is the first class experience. Coach is 2+3, which is nice. But in first class they still squeeze in 2+2. The first class cabins in the M88's are so dated and the experience blah.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

VX is pretty damn great at what it offers...except at making money. With Frontier getting spinned-off, maybe a F9/VX merge can be in the cards? Only problem is that they offer different products in terms of service/rewards/etc.

VX is pretty damn great at what it offers...except at making money. With Frontier getting spinned-off' date=' maybe a F9/VX merge can be in the cards? Only problem is that they offer different products in terms of service/rewards/etc.[/quote']

There's another difference: Frontier is now pretty solidly profitable. VX...not so much.

There's another difference: Frontier is now pretty solidly profitable. VX...not so much.

I would like for JetBlue and Frontier to merge since they both use Airbus planes and their route tree does not have many overlaps.

Edited by bigsnake49

I would like for JetBlue and Frontier to merge since they both use Airbus planes and their route tree does not have many overlaps.

The A320 is a nice plane, except for the need to reset the flight computers occasionally, sometimes at the most inopportune time. Edited by bigsnake49