SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Don't LTE sites broadcast their BSID's? Maybe cross reference that info with the NV maps in the sponsors' section at S4GRU

You'll have to get a group of folks to cross reference them and make the connection.  Then how do you keep up with that on all the sites in the US.  It's a tough enough job just for the locals to do in their own market. 

My recommendation is start a spreadsheet and track them down yourself like many of us have done in other markets.  I can drive around town and look at my 1X PN, EVDO PN, and LTE serving cell and know instantly which site I am connected to down to which sector I am on.  All by looking at our market spreadsheet.

• Like 1

You'll have to get a group of folks to cross reference them and make the connection.  Then how do you keep up with that on all the sites in the US.  It's a tough enough job just for the locals to do in their own market. 

My recommendation is start a spreadsheet and track them down yourself like many of us have done in other markets.  I can drive around town and look at my 1X PN, EVDO PN, and LTE serving cell and know instantly which site I am connected to down to which sector I am on.  All by looking at our market spreadsheet.

SignalCheck Pro has the signal info, S4GRU has the Sprint towers info. Maybe combine the two. Suggestion: pay one-time in-app fee to support the app and this site.

I can drive around town and look at my 1X PN, EVDO PN, and LTE serving cell and know instantly which site I am connected to down to which sector I am on.  All by looking at our market spreadsheet.

Not to hi-jack, but I've been wanting to do this in our market since we're new, but I think it's going to be hell to get the contribution.

SignalCheck Pro has the signal info, S4GRU has the Sprint towers info. Maybe combine the two. Suggestion: pay one-time in-app fee to support both.

The information your phone creates is different than what is on S4GRU maps. Your phone creates an integer, S4GRU uses the actual site ID number.

• Like 1

SignalCheck Pro has the signal info, S4GRU has the Sprint towers info. Maybe combine the two. Suggestion: pay one-time in-app fee to support the app and this site.

That is where you are mistaken.  We don't have all the LTE serving cells from Sprint, it's all been reverse engineered with rubber on the road in the markets where it has been done.  If you can get this data from Sprint I'm sure mikejeep would be glad to integrate it into the app though.

Not to hi-jack, but I've been wanting to do this in our market since we're new, but I think it's going to be hell to get the contribution.

I recently implemented a new format of the spreadsheet in the NOLA market to make things easier to track, update, and even update on the road.  Hit me on PM and I'll help you get started.

• Like 2

i work in tech support so thorough troubleshooting is what i do :) right now i'm running MeanBean 3.09 which is based on the latest RRU and android 4.1.1. and unless i've messed something up i'm running the latest radio update too (baseband is 1.12.11.1210 and build # is 3.16.651.3 CL147243). last night i tried two other ROMs too, Viper's and Evilution, they both did the same thing as well.

From what i can tell it appears to be one behind. so if they both match, and field trial updates to a new one signalcheck will still be showing the old one. its not always just one behind though. sometimes they will match and i will see field trial show two different new ones and signalcheck will still show the old one, for example if they are both on 1 and field trial shows 2 and then settles on 3 signalcheck is still on 1. 

i'm starting to think its something with my phone though, so far today it has been fine (did a nandroid last night before trying other roms and then restored the nandroid) but since i've installed signalcheck it will eventually start lagging real bad and not responding to trying to get to the menu or going back to the home screen and if i can't get it to exit it will then show the not responding message asking if you want to wait or close.

as to the airplane mode, that makes sense to me, just wasn't for sure if that was normal or not since it was really fast and it seemed like i had to do it 2-3 times in order to really see the connections reset.

thanks for all your hard work on this! :D

It's not your device, or MeanBean... I just made myself a custom testing setup so I could watch what SignalCheck saw for an EVDO sector ID on my computer, and watch the engineering screen on my EVO LTE to see what that sector ID was on a 1-second refresh.. mine are not always the same either! It looks like the app only sees a new sector ID when the PN changes. But even then they don't always match. I have no idea why they don't match, since my code is pulling it out of the HTC routines. And I have no idea how to confirm which one is correct. Ugh!

EDIT: No consistency as to when the app sees an update compared to the engineering screen..

-Mike

• Like 1

It's not your device, or MeanBean... I just made myself a custom testing setup so I could watch what SignalCheck saw for an EVDO sector ID on my computer, and watch the engineering screen on my EVO LTE to see what that sector ID was on a 1-second refresh.. mine are not always the same either! It looks like the app only sees a new sector ID when the PN changes. But even then they don't always match. I have no idea why they don't match, since my code is pulling it out of the HTC routines. And I have no idea how to confirm which one is correct. Ugh!

EDIT: No consistency as to when the app sees an update compared to the engineering screen..

-Mike

thanks for confirming i'm not crazy! :D i went out for a drive over lunch (found my first tower with new panels getting installed!!!!) and kept an eye on the app and the only time it would update was when i reset the data connection, or one time i lost 3G and when it came back it showed a new ID that matched.

Would be nice to have updating real time but having the shortcut to field trial saves me from dialing so don't waste too much time on it :)

Hey Mike, is there anyway you could increase the data connection reset time? It's like instant with no pause right now, wondering if you could add at least a 5sec pause in there?

Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hey Mike, is there anyway you could increase the data connection reset time? It's like instant with no pause right now, wondering if you could add at least a 5sec pause in there?

Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I started thinking about that after talking about the reset feature earlier.. I had it at 4 seconds a few versions ago, and it didn't seem to do any better/worse.  I think I will add an option for users to set their own preferred time period.

-Mike

• Like 1

I started thinking about that after talking about the reset feature earlier.. I had it at 4 seconds a few versions ago, and it didn't seem to do any better/worse.  I think I will add an option for users to set their own preferred time period.

-Mike

When I do a data reset (airplane mode), I wait until the phone shows no service, otherwise I find it doesn't ways work. It takes less time on the ONE than it did on the EVO LTE, and far less time than it did on the GS3, but it still takes several seconds to actually reset. 

When I do a data reset (airplane mode), I wait until the phone shows no service, otherwise I find it doesn't ways work. It takes less time on the ONE than it did on the EVO LTE, and far less time than it did on the GS3, but it still takes several seconds to actually reset.

That delay must strictly be Rom based as I am able to go into airplane mode in under a second on the LTEVO running CM 10.1

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The next version of my app will improve the reset function; the delay will be set a bit longer than it is now, but it will be user-configurable.  It will be in testing for a few more days.. lots of other fixes/tweaks will be in there as well.

-Mike

• Like 3

Is there a bug if it is under -40 db?  The status bar does not show the signal level.  Once it was above -40 db it then shows up.

eeKMqvOl.png

Hello everyone,

I have this Signal Check Pro app. Today I was driving and noticed that I had EVDO signal but my phone was only connected to 1XRTT. I have had this happen in the past when the EVDO was not strong enough, but this time was different. I had almost full service of EVDO just that my phone could not connect. I drove past this area a few hours later to check it again but there was no EVDO. Is this an error in the app or could Sprint be working on the tower and blocking people from connecting to EVDO? This is an area that the service is only 1XRTT and always has been.

Hello everyone,

I have this Signal Check Pro app. Today I was driving and noticed that I had EVDO signal but my phone was only connected to 1XRTT. I have had this happen in the past when the EVDO was not strong enough, but this time was different. I had almost full service of EVDO just that my phone could not connect. I drove past this area a few hours later to check it again but there was no EVDO. Is this an error in the app or could Sprint be working on the tower and blocking people from connecting to EVDO? This is an area that the service is only 1XRTT and always has been.

Well, part of NV is upgrading 1x only sites to NV standards 1x/EVDO/LTE. So it's possible you were seeing a new EVDO signal from a recently upgraded site.

Is there a bug if it is under -40 db?  The status bar does not show the signal level.  Once it was above -40 db it then shows up.

eeKMqvOl.png

-40 eh?  The few rare times you have that great of a signal there isn't a need to look at the icon ;)  I think it is due to the app not having the icon with a number for that high of a signal. 

-40 eh?  The few rare times you have that great of a signal there isn't a need to look at the icon ;)  I think it is due to the app not having the icon with a number for that high of a signal. 

Very possible.It did it to me too the other day.

Tc7lkM8.png

Maybe above -40 dBm, instead of displaying the numerical signal level, it could display a message:  DUCK AND COVER!

:P

AJ

• Like 2

Very possible.It did it to me too the other day.

Tc7lkM8.png

How did you get below -30? I was in front of the antenna getting lowest -30 db. Imagine TD-LTE 40 Mhz at this level, we can push easy 90+Mbps.

Maybe above -40 dBm, instead of displaying the numerical signal level, it could display a message:  DUCK AND COVER!

AJ

Haha great idea!

My phone was 2 feet from the antenna.

I probably would not recommend that.  In most instances, your handset has to deal with signals that are up to 80 dB (100,000,000x) weaker.  Subjecting it to a -25 dBm signal might overload its RF front end.

AJ

I probably would not recommend that.  In most instances, your handset has to deal with signals that are up to 80 dB (100,000,000x) weaker.  Subjecting it to a -25 dBm signal might overload its RF front end.

AJ

Yea, good point.

Maybe above -40 dBm, instead of displaying the numerical signal level, it could display a message: DUCK AND COVER!

AJ

I think Mike should just put the little nuclear radiation icon with anything better than -50.

• Like 1

I think Mike should just put the little nuclear radiation icon with anything better than -50.

2edrtwj.jpg

...or would that symbol be only for a roaming signal greater than -50 dBm?

;)

AJ

• Like 1