What's your speed like RIGHT NOW?

Im looking forward to the great improvements that the 800mhz frequency will bring too. Although, keep in mind, with the new tower setup/design Sprint is rolling out with Network Vision... the current signal/coverage will see a nice little boost right away.. even the 1900mhz. So I like to think that will tie me over till LTE on 800 gets here, down the road.

First off, trust me... I live in one of the last places that NV will hit. Pittsburgh metro will probably get it first, and I know that eventually every tower will have LTE... but there are very few towers here, and the only significant help will come in the form of a better, further traveling, and better penetrating signal.

But also, I guess I'm just worried that with the large push for LTE, there will be a lot of people on the network slowing it down... it will probably never be as slow as even a 'good' 3g connection is now, but if all we get after being loyal customers for years is 2+Mb/s on an overcrowded LTE channel, there will be SIGNIFICANT amounts of people that will not wait for LTE 800Mhz. And not making the LTE phones capable of using the future multi-band LTE (800/1900/2500/Dish?) will leave many people frustrated...

First off, trust me... I live in one of the last places that NV will hit. Pittsburgh metro will probably get it first, and I know that eventually every tower will have LTE... but there are very few towers here, and the only significant help will come in the form of a better, further traveling, and better penetrating signal.

Don't be so sure about that. In each market, Network Vision has two Phases. Phase 1 covers mostly urban and some rural. Phase 2 completes the remaining urban and rural. You would be surprised at the rural sites that get into Phase 1. You could be lucky and be one of those Rural Phase 1 sites. Ask the folks in Wamego Kansas, Marlin Texas, Freehold New Jersey and Oxford, Mass why they are in the first round. They couldn't tell ya. But happy that they are.

But also, I guess I'm just worried that with the large push for LTE, there will be a lot of people on the network slowing it down... it will probably never be as slow as even a 'good' 3g connection is now, but if all we get after being loyal customers for years is 2+Mb/s on an overcrowded LTE channel, there will be SIGNIFICANT amounts of people that will not wait for LTE 800Mhz. And not making the LTE phones capable of using the future multi-band LTE (800/1900/2500/Dish?) will leave many people frustrated...

Sprint cannot get 800 LTE ready now, not on the device side, nor on the network side. They either had to choose between delaying all LTE device until next year, or just going with 1900 LTE now. In my estimation, with one 5x5 LTE 1900 PCS LTE carrier, Sprint will be able to serve even it's busiest sites for 12 to 18 months without significant decrease in performance. And even at 18 months, only 15% to 25% of their sites would be over burdened.

This just isn't a big problem in the short term, IMO. It wasn't worth waiting another year for Sprint to hold LTE devices. That would have sunk Sprint. They just didn't have many choices. They are making the best decision for the circumstances they are in.

By the time capacity gets to be an issue at some sites, Sprint will be able to deploy 800LTE and 2500 TD-LTE and the devices that will benefit from it.

Robert

• Like 1

These are the speeds I am seeing today. Yesterday I was averaging about 0.21 mbps up/ 0.02 mbps down. Sprint speeds around here vary greatly from day to day and I usually test in the same place. Upload speeds always seem to be horrible. 42575407-c8ad-d15b.jpg

These are the speeds I am seeing today. Yesterday I was averaging about 0.21 mbps up/ 0.02 mbps down. Sprint speeds around here vary greatly from day to day and I usually test in the same place. Upload speeds always seem to be horrible.

Welcome to S4GRU! :welc:

Yeah, 600k speeds are average. There are many members who would love to get up to that speed. On average I get around 1.3Mbps where I live.

Thanks for your first post I hope to see you around.

Robert

These are the speeds I am seeing today. Yesterday I was averaging about 0.21 mbps up/ 0.02 mbps down. Sprint speeds around here vary greatly from day to day and I usually test in the same place. Upload speeds always seem to be horrible.

Download speeds are pretty good for that test sample, but those upload are not good at all. Slow upload speeds can be just as frustrating as slow download. Welcome to the site!

sitting in my office (dreamin of the One XL / Jet / EVO HD LTE or whatever they gonna call it)...

ping 242ms

down 233kbps

up 121kbps

little better than the other day when i was topping out at less than 150kbps down...

my last 4G test was 5.6Mbps down...not the best but i'd be happy with that on a regular basis and not just on the one street in my city that seems to have a 4G tower

Welcome to S4GRU!

Yeah, 600k speeds are average. There are many members who would love to get up to that speed. On average I get around 1.3Mbps where I live.

Thanks for your first post I hope to see you around.

Robert

Thanks Robert,

I have been following your Facebook page for a while and have been lurking on this forum for the past few days.

• Like 2

Thanks Robert,

I have been following your Facebook page for a while and have been lurking on this forum for the past few days.

You are going to love what we announce in chat tonight at 9:30 PM Mountain.

- Robert

• Like 2

RM3_20_12.jpg?w=75b256e6

I use RootMetrics for more consistency. With Speedtest the servers change so much I never get a reliable reading. One day may be Phoenix, the next may be Tucson or Pima or maybe even LA. Anyway this is pretty much the norm for me in east Mesa, AZ

Denny

• Like 1

RM3_20_12.jpg?w=75b256e6

I use RootMetrics for more consistency. With Speedtest the servers change so much I never get a reliable reading. One day may be Phoenix, the next may be Tucson or Pima or maybe even LA. Anyway this is pretty much the norm for me in east Mesa, AZ

Denny

Why i fix on the same server in speedtest app and always test from same location...if I'm not at normal location I test 3-4 servers...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

RM3_20_12.jpg?w=75b256e6

Denny

I too like RootMetrics and use their app a lot. I'm also a major contributor to their site. Kevin at RootMterics is a stand up guy, to boot. I enjoy promoting them.

Robert

• Like 1

Got ya beat!

ad870891-f2d1-c4b2.jpg

I was wondering if you could tell me the reasoning behind using the "Automatic Task Killer"? They're super bad for the system, plus Android as a whole hasn't "needed" them since Froyo was released. Not flaming, just curious.

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

Up on my roof:

photo2.png

In my house in the window:

photo.png

I still don't know about the ping...but these are the speeds I'm getting, and I don't get calls or texts in my house either...only on the roof! Its cold up there in January in NY. But at least my roof is easy access from my window.

Edited by zmccaa