What's your speed like RIGHT NOW?

My Sprint speeds have changed, now they are .35-.75 dl and .10-1.1 ul (near the edge of the house not fully inside) ....I have a friends Verizon iPhone 4S, that gets .40-.80 dl and .30-.70 ul....maybe I sould be reactivating my land line because this Verizon iPhone dropped a call here today too (I already knew this happened, thats why we don't have the "Nations Most Unreliable Network")....hopefully Sprint fixes the towers here soon, I never had this problem from Jan 2011-Nov 2011....what happened?

Edited by zmccaa

LTE signal at -107dBm and you are getting 4.03Mbps? You cannot complain about that. Sho 'nuff!!! I just cannot believe that Samsung has a -107dBm signal at 2 bars in the strength indicator. That is a little ridiculous.

Robert

I don't know if I should be happy that I am getting 4.03 Mbps at -107dBm, or pissed off that America's "Largest, Most Reliable Network" is only giving me -107 dBm of signal about smack dab in the middle of their LTE coverage area. The pin is on my address.

2i0burb.jpg

I don't know if I should be happy that I am getting 4.03 Mbps at -107dBm, or pissed off that America's "Largest, Most Reliable Network" is only giving me -107 dBm of signal about smack dab in the middle of their LTE coverage area. The pin is on my address.

2i0burb.jpg

This, in the middle where the river comes down is where my house is, best Talk, Text, 3G and 4G Coverage:

WVZWS.jpg

And these are the speeds I'm getting (I was getting curious day by day to see how VZW was out here...so I went out and found myself a VZW phone I could borrow, I edited out the IP so I don't show my friends IP address):

photo3.png

This, in the middle where the river comes down is where my house is, best Talk, Text, 3G and 4G Coverage:

And these are the speeds I'm getting (I was getting curious day by day to see how VZW was out here...so I went out and found myself a VZW phone I could borrow, I edited out the IP so I don't show my friends IP address):

You should retest to verify that speed. If there is a congestion problem, Verizon will be on it within a week. Their performance engineers monitor their network carefully and respond whenever they see a problem. If the speed persists beyond a day or two, call them and I'm sure they'll fix it immediately. A friend of mine is a performance engineer for them and he is evaluated by his network performance in his area-- they make sure to keep it a priority.

You should retest to verify that speed. If there is a congestion problem, Verizon will be on it within a week. Their performance engineers monitor their network carefully and respond whenever they see a problem. If the speed persists beyond a day or two, call them and I'm sure they'll fix it immediately. A friend of mine is a performance engineer for them and he is evaluated by his network performance in his area-- they make sure to keep it a priority.

What about Sprint? Maybe their performance engineers get bonuses depending how "low" the speeds can get? :rofl:

• Like 2

In this area, everyone (this is why my Sprint phone never works now) is switching to AT&T and Sprint because of this problem, 4G and Calling works great, so if in this area and have a 4G phone its good, but 3G has always been terrible here (I couldn't tell you why, plus I don't have VZW so I can't / won't call them) but even calls drop here and they tell everyone its their phones, not the network, but a friend of mine that works for VZW said they are going to be doing network upgrades in this area for 3G so hopefully that fixes it, I being with Sprint could care less, but I don't get why people put Verizon on a pedestal, I know a lot of places with slow 3G (granted I know more places that Sprint has slower 3G) but never the less VZW isn't perfect here, actually I do know that T-Mobile has great 2G coverage here but no 3G / "4G HSPA+" coverage here so that (might) throw them out of the picture...maybe

EDIT: I retested, VZW is up to .65 dl and .55 ul....with a 200 ping.... and Sprint is 1.15 dl and .55 ul....204 ping....hmm

I would half to say, congestion is a BIG part of the problem. but another big part is Sprint not doing anything about it, hopefully NV happens fast

Edited by zmccaa

What about Sprint? Maybe their performance engineers get bonuses depending how "low" the speeds can get? :rofl:

According to my Verizon friend, Sprint laid off all their performance engineers years ago-- only Ericsson maintains their network now. When they have a slow down on Sprint, they have no way to know until you call them to file a trouble ticket.

In this area, everyone (this is why my Sprint phone never works now) is switching to AT&T and Sprint because of this problem, 4G and Calling works great, so if in this area and have a 4G phone its good, but 3G has always been terrible here (I couldn't tell you why, plus I don't have VZW so I can't / won't call them) but even calls drop here and they tell everyone its their phones, not the network, but a friend of mine that works for VZW said they are going to be doing network upgrades in this area for 3G so hopefully that fixes it, I being with Sprint could care less, but I don't get why people put Verizon on a pedestal, I know a lot of places with slow 3G (granted I know more places that Sprint has slower 3G) but never the less VZW isn't perfect here, actually I do know that T-Mobile has great 2G coverage here but no 3G / "4G HSPA+" coverage here so that (might) throw them out of the picture...maybe

I'm starting to see a lot of holes in Verizon's coverage in my travels. There are several places that I drop down to 1xRTT for miles on major highways. I have had dropped calls. I never had this with Sprint unless I was off Sprint's grid. I used to have 3G the entire drive to work with Sprint. Now with Verizon it is a mix of 4G 3G 1X and no coverage. It seems like they spaced the towers out as far as they possibly could and still barely provide coverage.

According to my Verizon friend, Sprint laid off all their performance engineers years ago-- only Ericsson maintains their network now. When they have a slow down on Sprint, they have no way to know until you call them to file a trouble ticket.

I'm 99% sure you're correct on the trouble ticket aspect. I got a call last week from the head RF Engineer for the Baton Rouge market and it seems to jive with what you say. It was a pretty depressing phone call to say the least.

I'm starting to see a lot of holes in Verizon's coverage in my travels. There are several places that I drop down to 1xRTT for miles on major highways. I have had dropped calls. I never had this with Sprint unless I was off Sprint's grid. I used to have 3G the entire drive to work with Sprint. Now with Verizon it is a mix of 4G 3G 1X and no coverage. It seems like they spaced the towers out as far as they possibly could and still barely provide coverage.

I find here...Sprint swithes a lot to and from 3G and 1X.....but so does Verizon....the thing that gets me is there is a VZW tower not a mile away...nobody around here has VZW, in the Town a lot but out here nobody has VZW due to this tower, everyone has AT&T and Sprint....and the one person that still has VZW keeps complaining about it...idk whats happening...

The Galaxy Nexus's CDMA baseband processor is not Qualcomm and does have some issues in marginal coverage areas-- that is a known issue. The 4.0.4 software had a radio upgrade that was supposed to stabilize the EVDO connection, but the hardware does have some issues compared with the Qualcomm CDMA gear in all the other phones. The Droid Charge which used the same non-Qualcomm chip had some similar issues noted in its user forums.

I find here...Sprint swithes a lot to and from 3G and 1X.....but so does Verizon....the thing that gets me is there is a VZW tower not a mile away...nobody around here has VZW, in the Town a lot but out here nobody has VZW due to this tower, everyone has AT&T and Sprint....and the one person that still has VZW keeps complaining about it...idk whats happening...

One person? Maybe they are getting insane speeds and want everyone else to stay off their tower. LOL.

• Like 1

I'm 99% sure you're correct on the trouble ticket aspect. I got a call last week from the head RF Engineer for the Baton Rouge market and it seems to jive with what you say. It was a pretty depressing phone call to say the least.

Yeah-- I talked with them many times-- and everytime they were shocked at how poor the tower was doing. They have no idea what's going on with their own network-- and can only relay that Ericsson tested out the tower as acceptable or that they did adjustments. I argued with their executive care that they need to send SPRINT employees to survey the market themselves to see if Ericsson was really doing anything because the network performance was abysmal as always. I don't worry now-- big red is solid in BR!

Yeah-- I talked with them many times-- and everytime they were shocked at how poor the tower was doing. They have no idea what's going on with their own network-- and can only relay that Ericsson tested out the tower as acceptable or that they did adjustments. I argued with their executive care that they need to send SPRINT employees to survey the market themselves to see if Ericsson was really doing anything because the network performance was abysmal as always. I don't worry now-- big red is solid in BR!

No, I'm saying the main RF Engineer for Ericsson in the Baton Rouge market called me. Not the ticket escalation guys in Oklahoma City.

One person? Maybe they are getting insane speeds and want everyone else to stay off their tower. LOL.

I wish, I'm not kidding when I say 1 person, thats probably why they are not servicing it. The last people out here I know that had VZW switched to AT&T...and now enjoy 6-8mb down on their "4G HSPA+" iPhones..I would get AT&T but I use way too much data to have them.....oh well...I can live for now I guess...I wish I had my own, working, cell phone tower...back in 2006 when I first had Sprint....it worked great out here...then we jumped to AT&T...which we let go of them due to throttling...back to Sprint in Jan 2011....It was great here at that time...what has happened Sprint...but I will half to say..Sprints worse (not .00-.25...) about .35-.40 on Sprint is still faster than AT&T throttling me at .15.....those were very sad months...

Edited by zmccaa

I can pretty much believe this...two days after the trouble ticket

425750bb-5b44-9340.jpg

Sent from my awesome iPhone 4S using Tapatalk!

425750bb-5b44-9340.jpg

though thats at 7am there....try again around 3-5pm and see if that holds...

though thats at 7am there....try again around 3-5pm and see if that holds...

I def will...but every morning i (used) to stream pandora until recently...i couldnt even get on 3G it was always 1x...this is the first morning with 3G and pandora...lets hope it does

I def will...but every morning i (used) to stream pandora until recently...i couldnt even get on 3G it was always 1x...this is the first morning with 3G and pandora...lets hope it does

oh well then thats an improvement then...Good to know you tested it at same time of day...Thats something a ton of ppl tend to forget to do when comparing speeds...Can't tell you how many times ppl on xda or other sites have thought an update has boosted their speeds, but what they were in fact seeing was the higher speeds at the off peak hours...gotta test same location and same time to get fair comparisons.

Those are great speeds for Sprint-- if I got those speeds at any time other than 3am, I would've never left Sprint. I've never seen an upload speed that fast on Sprint anytime. But the download speed would've kept me happy if only Sprint could've made their network perform here... sadly, our speeds here were less than 1/10th of those download speeds-- quite often around 1/100th of those speeds for about 2 years.

I've been on the phone with Sprint for months and months about the terrible speeds I was getting at home and here at work. I finally had a tech tell me that my area has 14 data speed increases, which I though was pretty sweet. They told me the trouble is network congestion, which I can believe because of the surge of new customers Sprint has gotten over the last couple of years. That can really strain a network like crazy, especially one as aging as Sprints. They did begin work on the upgrades a few days ago and I've already noticed a huge jump. Before the 20th my speeds here at work were anywhere between nothing to .28Mbps....now check the pic. :D6c6aca18-8589-cfdd.jpg

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

I have never, before my iPhone and troubles never have gotten service...always 1x extended for 1 and a half years here...this is the first or second time ive ever seen Sprint here...(all the other times on 3g it was 0.00 - 0.05 down)...now look at these speeds (im in here everyday at the same time)...now i can use 3G...the wifi here is also slow and half of the www is blocked

425750e9-87e3-9163.jpg

Edited by zmccaa

I have never' date=' before my iPhone and troubles never have gotten service...always 1x extended for 1 and a half years here...this is the first or second time ive ever seen Sprint here...(all the other times on 3g it was 0.00 - 0.05 down)...now look at these speeds (im in here everyday at the same time)...now i can use 3G...the wifi here is also slow and half of the www is blocked

Sent from my awesome iPhone 4S using Tapatalk![/quote']

800k is a usable speed. I only need 500k-600k for most of the things I do. Congrats.

Robert, Roberto, Admin, Hey You! Its all good! But this was posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I have the same issue with Verizon coverage here. However, its the same for me with Sprint. In my area, Sprint and Verizon are co-located together at most sites. At least until I get north of Espanola. Then they aren't colocated any more, because Sprint doesn't have coverage.

Robert, Roberto, Admin, Hey You! Its all good! But this was posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner