T-Mobile gets ready to launch LTE and HD Voice

kckid

I assume unlocked GSM/LTE devices with Band 4LTE would not attach in LTE only mode. I'm tempted to find used MetroPCS SIII lol.

Such a device could be interesting for testing purposes, but I think that VZW band 4 only LTE would be an underwhelming experience. Expect sporadic AWS footprint for years to come, as VZW adds AWS to select sites for capacity but not coverage.

AJ

AT&T is already getting ready to deploy LTE over Cellular in the future (some devices already support it) and its only a matter of time and competition before we see VZW do the same.

I believe AWS, PCS, and Cellular will become THE roaming bands for North America in the next few years due to widespread overlap between carriers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Where did you read that AT&T is getting ready to deploy LTE over Cellular? I would think that AT&T would deploy LTE over PCS and WCS spectrum before refarming Cellular. AT&T needs to keep GSM as long as it can until VoLTE is usable.

Also I agree with you that I see Cellular, AWS and PCS bands as the LTE roaming bands in the US given that all carriers have PCS and most have AWS (except Sprint) and Cellular (sprint and tmobile would rely on LTE roaming on the big 2) to increase their service.

AT&T needs to keep GSM as long as it can until VoLTE is usable.

Not really. AT&T needs to keep GSM going for a few GSM only MVNOs and for machine-to-machine connections. But nearly all AT&T voice traffic is running over W-CDMA by now.

AJ

Where did you read that AT&T is getting ready to deploy LTE over Cellular? I would think that AT&T would deploy LTE over PCS and WCS spectrum before refarming Cellular. AT&T needs to keep GSM as long as it can until VoLTE is usable.

Also I agree with you that I see Cellular, AWS and PCS bands as the LTE roaming bands in the US given that all carriers have PCS and most have AWS (except Sprint) and Cellular (sprint and tmobile would rely on LTE roaming on the big 2) to increase their service.

Some AT&T devices support LTE in that band.

Here is an article about the first one (Pantech smart phone)

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=9493

Some AT&T devices support LTE in that band.

Here is an article about the first one (Pantech smart phone)

http://www.phonescoo...icle.php?a=9493

Interesting but the article is dated over a year ago so plans may have changed especially with the FCC approving WCS spectrum for LTE. AT&T also have some high end phones (ex SGS3) where it supports AWS LTE support and we have yet to see AT&T even come out about deploying LTE in AWS spectrum so I take this with a grain of salt. The T-mobile breakup fee really hurt AT&T since AT&T gave up some nice valuable AWS spectrum which it already didn't have that much to begin with. I see AT&T abandoning AWS spectrum in the future and focus on its other bands it already has near nationwide coverage of.

AT&T should have more spectrum in the PCS band and its approved WCS band for LTE. I would think that AT&T should focus on adding capacity like Verizon is doing and deploying LTE on PCS next would be the wisest choice over Cellular and WCS. I just think that AT&T will probably refarm Celluar spectrum last since it can keep the nice range of HSPA+ in Cellular and PCS while slowly refarming spare PCS spectrum and WCS spectrum for LTE.

But I can see AT&T deploying LTE on Celluar quicker if Verizon starts deploying LTE on its Cellular spectrum since they tend to follow each other.

Such a device could be interesting for testing purposes, but I think that VZW band 4 only LTE would be an underwhelming experience. Expect sporadic AWS footprint for years to come, as VZW adds AWS to select sites for capacity but not coverage.

AJ

Oh that would be purely for testing purposes :)

Interesting but the article is dated over a year ago so plans may have changed especially with the FCC approving WCS spectrum for LTE. AT&T also have some high end phones (ex SGS3) where it supports AWS LTE support and we have yet to see AT&T even come out about deploying LTE in AWS spectrum so I take this with a grain of salt. The T-mobile breakup fee really hurt AT&T since AT&T gave up some nice valuable AWS spectrum which it already didn't have that much to begin with. I see AT&T abandoning AWS spectrum in the future and focus on its other bands it already has near nationwide coverage of.

AT&T should have more spectrum in the PCS band and its approved WCS band for LTE. I would think that AT&T should focus on adding capacity like Verizon is doing and deploying LTE on PCS next would be the wisest choice over Cellular and WCS. I just think that AT&T will probably refarm Celluar spectrum last since it can keep the nice range of HSPA+ in Cellular and PCS while slowly refarming spare PCS spectrum and WCS spectrum for LTE.

But I can see AT&T deploying LTE on Celluar quicker if Verizon starts deploying LTE on its Cellular spectrum since they tend to follow each other.

I think its all about coverage. Their 700 licenses simply don't cover some relatively major areas of their network where they need LTE to stay competitive (thanks to vzw). Cellular 850 can cover like 700 does in areas they lack those licenses.

Kind of off topic, but it would be interesting to see how much pcs and cellular spectrum at&t and verizon have deployed in the major markets across the country.

That is no problem with my spectrum analyzer. And I charge only $500 per day plus travel expenses. So, who wants first?

;)

AJ

• Like 4

What? No takers? I come complete with references from Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and Pojoaque.

I can sometimes even be convinced to work for tacos and red chile.

AJ

• Like 1

Not really. AT&T needs to keep GSM going for a few GSM only MVNOs and for machine-to-machine connections. But nearly all AT&T voice traffic is running over W-CDMA by now.

AJ

You are right. AT&T moved most everyone over to W-CDMA without anyone really noticing. I don't see them deploying VoLTE in the near future. I even asked an at&t store about VoLTE and they said they aren't planning for it in the short term as they have W-CDMA for voice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Where I see T-Mo succeeding in their LTE deployment is the fact that they already have the backhaul in place, and if they are not going the RRU route, and simply dropping in LTE cabinets and lighting them up on the same backhaul, they can deploy at a much faster rate.

Does anyone know if HSPA/+ has full soft handoff capabilities similar to eHRPD for EVDO/LTE?

Where I see T-Mo succeeding in their LTE deployment is the fact that they already have the backhaul in place, and if they are not going the RRU route, and simply dropping in LTE cabinets and lighting them up on the same backhaul, they can deploy at a much faster rate.

Does anyone know if HSPA/+ has full soft handoff capabilities similar to eHRPD for EVDO/LTE?

According to Tmonews the average time to upgrade a site it roughly 3 days and that they'll likely be following a similar deployment schedule for their HSPA+ Network Modernization for LTE. They've announced Las Vegas later this month and shortly afterwards Kansas City.

According to Tmonews the average time to upgrade a site it roughly 3 days and that they'll likely be following a similar deployment schedule for their HSPA+ Network Modernization for LTE. They've announced Las Vegas later this month and shortly afterwards Kansas City.

Deployment should be hella fast for them, since they are just slapping up an integrated panel and running a fiber line to the cabinet. Put in a carrier card in the existing cabinet and hook up to their existing backhaul. They should be able to overlay most of their HSPA+ network pretty easy. This is good for Tmo. Anything the little 2 does to better compete with the big 2 is good for all consumers. Plus I want to try out my Nexus 4 on some Tmo LTE. ;)

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Deployment should be hella fast for them, since they are just slapping up an integrated panel and running a fiber line to the cabinet.

I am not sure that it will be that fast, since raising the new integrated panels seems like it would still be the most labor intensive step.

In related news, crane operators around the country are flush with cash, buying houses, cars, and boats.

AJ

• Like 3

Deval, can you clarify what you are asking? Soft handoff is a CDMA1X (and W-CDMA) function that allows connection to multiple sites/sectors simultaneously. That is different from network reselection or handdown from, say, LTE to eHRPD. I think that you are asking about the latter but am not certain.

AJ

Deval, can you clarify what you are asking? Soft handoff is a CDMA1X (and W-CDMA) function that allows connection to multiple sites/sectors simultaneously. That is different from network reselection or handdown from, say, LTE to eHRPD. I think that you are asking about the latter but am not certain.

AJ

I think I was a little low on coffee when I posted that.

I was referring to the network reselection process, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't eHRPD allow for session continuity between LTE and EVDO?

Ah, now that your original assertion has been shown wrong, I see that you are moving the goalposts, just throwing out logical fallacies in an attempt to salvage your position. Nice try.

Sprint is decommissioning the legacy Nextel iDEN network. That is separate from Network Vision. Do not conflate the two. But Sprint is not decommissioning CDMA2000 sites. And the TD-LTE network has not even been built yet, so your speculation is just idle. Never mind that the TD-LTE network is intended for "hotspot" offload coverage, not continuous coverage, since the Sprint LTE network will provide that.

Regardless, Milan is correct. No other carrier "has such a granular plan on deploying to almost all sites, nationwide." VZW's strategy of LTE deployment lacks the site density, Release 10 compatibility, and RRUs of Network Vision. It is not comparable to Network Vision in scale or degree. Trust us, S4GRU knows. We have the plans, and Sponsors/Premier Sponsors can view those plans.

Look, you moved on from Sprint. If you want to stick around here and be an apologist for other carriers, that is fine, but at least get your facts right.

AJ

I guessing Sprint will offer something like VZW'S home fusion in the near future which uses a outdoor antenna. Would Sprint use TD-LTD with a outdoor antenna since it don't penetrate through buildings as well?

I was referring to the network reselection process, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't eHRPD allow for session continuity between LTE and EVDO?

Correct. LTE and W-CDMA also support session continuity through the network reselection process. In fact, if a UE is actively using LTE data, then goes to make a voice call, the data session will be handed down to W-CDMA along with the voice call on W-CDMA because few, if any 3GPP devices support SVLTE.

AJ

I guessing Sprint will offer something like VZW'S home fusion in the near future which uses a outdoor antenna. Would Sprint use TD-LTD with a outdoor antenna since it don't penetrate through buildings as well?

Building penetration is basically airlink agnostic. So, TD-LTE is not a problem. Rather, BRS/EBS 2600 MHz spectrum faces some propagation challenges.

AJ

I don't anticipate Sprint offering an in-home LTE service. If they ever do, it would likely be on LTE 2600 only.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Deployment should be hella fast for them, since they are just slapping up an integrated panel and running a fiber line to the cabinet. Put in a carrier card in the existing cabinet and hook up to their existing backhaul. They should be able to overlay most of their HSPA+ network pretty easy. This is good for Tmo. Anything the little 2 does to better compete with the big 2 is good for all consumers. Plus I want to try out my Nexus 4 on some Tmo LTE. ;)

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I am thinking of picking up a Nexus 4 from them as well. Do you think they'll issue a software upgrade to enable LTE or will we have to plan around with the APN settings?

I am thinking of picking up a Nexus 4 from them as well. Do you think they'll issue a software upgrade to enable LTE or will we have to plan around with the APN settings?

Nexus 4 has LTE baseband chipset, LTE Transceiver, LTE capable PA/filters, and only on Band 4, waiting to be used. If anything, Google could make the attempt to disable this feature since it's not approved by FCC... Nexus works really well on LTE on Canadian operators.

• Like 1