T-Mobile gets ready to launch LTE and HD Voice

kckid

As a slight aside, I swapped my T-Mobile data card SIM for a microSIM on Monday, allowing me to use T-Mobile service with my third-gen VZW iPad, which has no AWS support of any kind. Here in Austin, it appears as though T-Mobile has a single HSPA+ carrier in PCS, but almost no one is using it, so I've been able to hit 12-14 Mbps down, 3.5 Mbps up...the upload speed is better than I've ever seen on either T-Mobile or AT&T HSPA+ in their default bands, DC-HSPA+ included.

A Nexus 4 (8GB) will be coming in the mail a week or two from now, so in addition to checking out PCS HSPA+ deployments I'll be one of the first to know when my area gets AWS LTE with T-Mo.

Lest I be mistaken for a T-Mobile fanboy after the above, my T-Mobile bill is around $44 (5GB of data). That's higher than my Verizon bill but lower than my Sprint bill. Primarily because,I don't like 40 kbps speeds in an area that I spend 10%+ of my time.

• Like 2

Here in Austin, it appears as though T-Mobile has a single HSPA+ carrier in PCS, but almost no one is using it, so I've been able to hit 12-14 Mbps down, 3.5 Mbps up...the upload speed is better than I've ever seen on either T-Mobile or AT&T HSPA+ in their default bands, DC-HSPA+ included.

DC-HSPA+ peak uplink speeds will be no greater than those of HSPA+ because both are limited to HSUPA (max 5.76 Mbps). In other words, though DC-HSPA+ uses both carriers on the downlink, it still uses only one of the two carriers on the uplink.

AJ

• Like 1

DC-HSPA+ peak uplink speeds will be no greater than those of HSPA+ because both are limited to HSUPA (max 5.76 Mbps). In other words, though DC-HSPA+ uses both carriers on the downlink, it still uses only one of the two carriers on the uplink.

AJ

I always wondered why that was.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I always wondered why that was.

Yeah, it is interesting that DC-HSPA+ downlink speeds are pretty much on par with those of 5 MHz FDD LTE. Of course, DC-HSPA+ requires twice the spectrum bandwidth to achieve those speeds, so it is not as efficient as LTE, which also pulls way ahead in uplink speeds.

AJ

Yeah, it is interesting that DC-HSPA+ downlink speeds are pretty much on par with those of 5 MHz FDD LTE. Of course, DC-HSPA+ requires twice the spectrum bandwidth to achieve those speeds, so it is not as efficient as LTE, which also pulls way ahead in uplink speeds.

AJ

It's almost like that one corollary of Moore's Law is taking effect...

As a slight aside, I swapped my T-Mobile data card SIM for a microSIM on Monday, allowing me to use T-Mobile service with my third-gen VZW iPad, which has no AWS support of any kind. Here in Austin, it appears as though T-Mobile has a single HSPA+ carrier in PCS, but almost no one is using it, so I've been able to hit 12-14 Mbps down, 3.5 Mbps up...the upload speed is better than I've ever seen on either T-Mobile or AT&T HSPA+ in their default bands, DC-HSPA+ included.

A Nexus 4 (8GB) will be coming in the mail a week or two from now, so in addition to checking out PCS HSPA+ deployments I'll be one of the first to know when my area gets AWS LTE with T-Mo.

Lest I be mistaken for a T-Mobile fanboy after the above, my T-Mobile bill is around $44 (5GB of data). That's higher than my Verizon bill but lower than my Sprint bill. Primarily because,I don't like 40 kbps speeds in an area that I spend 10%+ of my time.

Get on the 5GB 30 dollar prepaid plan, much better value.

I see the EXACT same thing in Boston. The DC-HSPA+ carrier is completely loaded and I get 1-3mbit down vs. the HSPA+ carrier on PCS I FLY at over 10mbit. I am frustrated because I have no idea how to make the nexus 4 stick only on PCS.

For uploads on t-mobile, I can't get over 3.6mbit, ever. Faster downloads on DC-HSPA+ have been about 28mbit.

My only solution so far is to get a HTC DNA :)

• Like 1

I see the EXACT same thing in Boston. The DC-HSPA+ carrier is completely loaded and I get 1-3mbit down vs. the HSPA+ carrier on PCS I FLY at over 10mbit. I am frustrated because I have no idea how to make the nexus 4 stick only on PCS.

For uploads on t-mobile, I can't get over 3.6mbit, ever. Faster downloads on DC-HSPA+ have been about 28mbit.

I hear putting the phone in LTE mode also forces PCS HSPA.

I hear putting the phone in LTE mode also forces PCS HSPA.

It does temporarily but it reverts to AWS randomly. I can tell the difference in speedtest because DC-HSPA+ is reported as "cell" while HSPA+ is reported as "hspa".

The $30 plan, last I checked, doesn't include tethering, and probably wouldn't work in my aircard or iPad. Hence why I haven't switched to it already.

EDIT: Got a tracking number for my Nexus 4 last night. Nothing has shown up on it quite yet, but I'm guessing it'll be here sometime next week. :D

The $30 plan, last I checked, doesn't include tethering, and probably wouldn't work in my aircard or iPad. Hence why I haven't switched to it already.

EDIT: Got a tracking number for my Nexus 4 last night. Nothing has shown up on it quite yet, but I'm guessing it'll be here sometime next week. :D

It works for all mobile devices that are tethered. Such as, in my case, a sprint phone or iPad tethered to it. All PC devices are blocked and receive a T-Mobile nag screen instead of internet access.

You can't just stick the sim into your ipad or aircard? Isn't the plan attached to the SIM and not the device?

You can't just stick the sim into your ipad or aircard? Isn't the plan attached to the SIM and not the device?

Right. I have a $40 5GB data plan from pre-DC-HSPA+ days (I still have my Huawei Rocket around somewhere). Punch in the epc.tmobile.com APN and I'm good to go on whatever device I choose to use. Including my iPad or aircard. Or a Nexus 4. No voice though, and I think that text messages sent by the device cost a fair chunk of change apiece.

Since I want to continue using the SIM directly in the iPad/aircard, I'm not going the $30 route...I don't want a nag screen, and I do want to be able to use the connectivity on a non-phone screen without needing to tether if I don't want to tether.

Right. I have a $40 5GB data plan from pre-DC-HSPA+ days (I still have my Huawei Rocket around somewhere). Punch in the epc.tmobile.com APN and I'm good to go on whatever device I choose to use. Including my iPad or aircard. Or a Nexus 4. No voice though, and I think that text messages sent by the device cost a fair chunk of change apiece.

Since I want to continue using the SIM directly in the iPad/aircard, I'm not going the $30 route...I don't want a nag screen, and I do want to be able to use the connectivity on a non-phone screen without needing to tether if I don't want to tether.

I know on my nexus 4 the google hotspot works fine out of the box. No special hotspot plan is required with the nexus, just counts against my 5gb plan.

On verizon, I know you can put any sim into a ipad/mifi and have it work just fine with a phone plan but haven't tried on T-Mobile. What sort of nag screen do you get?

Keep in mind that DNA is only 14.4mbps capable so you'll be maxing at about 11mbps or so. A1428 might be a better option if you don't mind iOS.

Also cell and HSDPA in your test results appear to be completely random. Tested these on my HTC DNA, same location, only 1900Mhz WCDMA capable, taken two minutes apart same default APN, one displays cell other hsdpa.

JmZgRMjl.png

xfvUiOil.png

It does temporarily but it reverts to AWS randomly. I can tell the difference in speedtest because DC-HSPA+ is reported as "cell" while HSPA+ is reported as "hspa".

This is very interesting.

On Nexus 4, I'm keeping it in LTE/GSM auto PRL mode, but still I'm rarely seeing "hspa" here in NYC.

Try adding APN: fast.t-mobile.com and APN protocol to v4/v6. That's reported to be internal LTE testing APN in Kansas, although, it looks like your account has to be provisioned as well... and v6 seems to slow down the throughput to about 14.4mbps at least here.

*EDIT* Actually, upon checking out my iPhone 5, most of my test show "Cellular" not hspa.

6Ltdrl.pngPzWpol.jpg

I believe you can attach the $15 hotspot option to the prepaid $30 plan. I haven't, since I really haven't found the need to do any tethering lately (all hail the spread of free wi-fi).

This is very interesting.

On Nexus 4, I'm keeping it in LTE/GSM auto PRL mode, but still I'm rarely seeing "hspa" here in NYC.

Try adding APN: fast.t-mobile.com and APN protocol to v4/v6. That's reported to be internal LTE testing APN in Kansas, although, it looks like your account has to be provisioned as well... and v6 seems to slow down the throughput to about 14.4mbps at least here.

*EDIT* Actually, upon checking out my iPhone 5, most of my test show "Cellular" not hspa.

6Ltdrl.pngPzWpol.jpg

Those are some great speeds on T-Mobile.

I've always thought them to be a viable option to Verizon or AT&T if I were to ever leave Sprint.

I've always thought them to be a viable option to Verizon or AT&T if I were to ever leave Sprint.

They're great! .......Until you go 10 miles outside a major city.

• Like 3

They're great! .......Until you go 10 miles outside a major city.

Indeed, T-Mobile can be a great option for city dwellers who rarely, if ever leave the city or simply fly to other cities.

But at least two problems persist:

1. T-Mobile still has way too much 2G GSM only native coverage remaining.
  2. GSM based carriers in the US play together nicely only selectively.

T-Mobile subs who live outside of major metros or travel by car will find themselves frequently with 2G GSM only coverage -- if that. The second problem is a worse version of the first. GSM based carriers here in the US cannot seem to cooperate. So, coverage may be available from AT&T, et al., but T-Mobile does not have a roaming agreement to use that coverage. Thus, large areas of the country have no usable (non emergency) coverage for T-Mobile subs.

Sprint, for all of it warts, largely avoids both of these problems. Sprint's network is almost entirely updated to EV-DO and will be likewise to LTE. Plus, Sprint has the most comprehensive roaming agreements in the industry. If there is a CDMA1X signal to be had, Sprint probably has a roaming agreement and has included it in the PRL so that you can use it.

AJ

• Like 5

Indeed, T-Mobile can be a great option for city dwellers who rarely, if ever leave the city or simply fly to other cities.

But at least two problems persist:

1. T-Mobile still has way too much 2G GSM only native coverage remaining.
  2. GSM based carriers in the US play together nicely only selectively.

T-Mobile subs who live outside of major metros or travel by car will find themselves frequently with 2G GSM only coverage -- if that. The second problem is a worse version of the first. GSM based carriers here in the US cannot seem to cooperate. So, coverage may be available from AT&T, et al., but T-Mobile does not have a roaming agreement to use that coverage. Thus, large areas of the country have no usable (non emergency) coverage for T-Mobile subs.

Sprint, for all of it warts, largely avoids both of these problems. Sprint's network is almost entirely updated to EV-DO and will be likewise to LTE. Plus, Sprint has the most comprehensive roaming agreements in the industry. If there is a CDMA1X signal to be had, Sprint probably has a roaming agreement and has included it in the PRL so that you can use it.

AJ

I agree, that's why I'm a Sprint customer, and have been long before I started with the company.

I use both.

HSPA+ is everything I wanted Wimax to be and more in overloaded Sprint areas (Sprint speed was good now its meh and getting worse). Its also super cheap for what it is, $30 for 5gigs of data and having a second GSM line to try unlocked phones on.

Sprint in rural areas and on interstates is very fast where band aid fixes have been applied (almost everywhere) and has excellent coverage where T-Mobile doesn't.

Between the two if them its an excellent experience.

• Like 1

Sprint in rural areas and on interstates is very fast where band aid fixes have been applied (almost everywhere) and has excellent coverage where T-Mobile doesn't.

And lynyrd tips his cap. He secretly wishes for SoftBank to bring about SprinT-Mobile.

AJ

• Like 1

US SprinT-Mobile Cellular actually ;)

Well, now, that would be very convent for a resident Tulsa, where US Cellular holds one of its rare major market Cellular 850 MHz licenses. But, no, that could not be an ulterior motive for lynyrd...

;)

AJ

• Like 2