Network Vision/LTE - East Michigan Market (Detroit/Flint/Ann Arbor/Tri-Cities)

ReyBanz

I can't wait for their 4G coverage to be everywhere, because I plan on streaming HD Netflix and using tons of my unlimited 4G just because I can (to make up for all the stuff I wish I could have downloaded over my first year with sprint). I also find those root wifi tether apps very interesting...

Do not push your luck, little man. Unlimited data is not for you to abuse, and tethering is against Sprint Ts and Cs -- not to mention, discussion of it is against S4GRU rules.

Shame on you...

AJ

• Like 3

Just got LTE, two bars, in AA up on North Campus of umich. I was on the roof of a building though so idk if it could've been from the Plymouth site(the Space Research Building is by Plymouth rd) but tht seems unlikely

Edited by codemaster
  • Like 1

Just got LTE, two bars, in AA up on North Campus of umich. I was on the roof of a building though so idk if it could've been from the Plymouth site(the Space Research Building is by Plymouth rd) but tht seems unlikely

Those signal bars do not indicate your LTE signal strength they show your 1x connection which is usually used for voice. Use the engineering screen of your phone or download the "signalcheck" app. Congrats on the LTE!

• Like 1

Those signal bars do not indicate your LTE signal strength they show your 1x connection which is usually used for voice. Use the engineering screen of your phone or download the "signalcheck" app. Congrats on the LTE!

I'm on an iPhone though, not android

Sorry, i spoke too soon. Good thinking apple! I wish android handsets would adopt Apple's idea.

No, I wish it had both voice and data signals. But alas people are too stupid to realize what is what and they get confused. If you loved in an area that had marginal LTE signal the people would complain that Sprint signal sucks even though they had a -60ish signal on voice.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 1

Sorry, i spoke too soon. Good thinking apple! I wish android handsets would adopt Apple's idea.

If you're into custom roms and rooting, cyanogenmod shows correct LTE signal strength when connected like an iPhone does. I personally love it over the tedious engineering screen.

• Like 1

Sorry' date=' i spoke too soon. Good thinking apple! I wish android handsets would adopt Apple's idea.[/quote']

Many stock based roms also show correct signal strengths

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forum Runner

Do not push your luck, little man. Unlimited data is not for you to abuse, and tethering is against Sprint Ts and Cs -- not to mention, discussion of it is against S4GRU rules.

Shame on you...

AJ

I'd suggest getting a tethering plan for that, its $19.00 for 2Gb /month. That's what I do when I go on road trips.

• Like 1

Those speeds are my average 4G. Since Sprint 4G towers are so far and few between, I'm usually in the 1-2 bar range. The fastest I've ever seen is about 12mb down (Considerably slower than my friends on verizon at 20 meg) but that's fast enough in my book. I can relate to you with my first 4G speeds (300k down), but they are making fast progress and by summer there should be more consistant coverage.

I can't wait for their 4G coverage to be everywhere, because I plan on streaming HD Netflix and using tons of my unlimited 4G just because I can (to make up for all the stuff I wish I could have downloaded over my first year with sprint). I also find those root wifi tether apps very interesting...

Bottom line: I'm good with Sprint's progress so far and I hope they can improve by the time my contract is up so that they'll be as competitive as Verizon.

Don't steal from your carrier dude. Go to Verizon.

Don't steal from your carrier dude. Go to Verizon.

There is no stealing being described, but that is not good customer ethics. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forum Runner

There may be no stealing per se, but it is clearly against the terms and conditions set forth by Sprint Nextel, Inc.

Any more talk of using Sprint services against terms will draw out permanent citations and said posts being deleted. End of discussion.

I haven't been on the site forever but I can't even count how many posts there are of someone being fussy because they don't have LTE with the more informed members giving explanations that seem to fall on deaf ears.

I'm pissy because I don't have LTE here. :P In the 'area,' I've seen consistent progress in the last six months but I'm worried about the tower nearest here, a former IPCS tower. It just got 3G data five years ago. Six miles away in every direction is a 10MB LTE signal but here, nooooo.

Disclaimer: I'm on the border of the East Michigan/West Michigan markets so I follow both.

I'm pissy because I don't have LTE here. :P In the 'area,' I've seen consistent progress in the last six months but I'm worried about the tower nearest here, a former IPCS tower. It just got 3G data five years ago. Six miles away in every direction is a 10MB LTE signal but here, nooooo.

Disclaimer: I'm on the border of the East Michigan/West Michigan markets so I follow both.

I empathize for the most part. Samsung contractors seem be to employing the strategy of focusing on metro areas and freeways statewide. IMHO, Michigan is lucky to have the widespread deployment that is going on here that doesn't appear to be focused on one particular region. I've watched site go live that ring around my area. I've mapped a couple of these and let's say it's not just around my corner.

That being said, no one should lose focus on the fact that LTE first went live in Michigan mid-January. It's only now mid-April. I haven't counted in a couple weeks but my estimation is Michigan has ~100 live LTE sites now entering the 4th month of deployment. Last update shows site completion percentage still in single digits. It's coming but people need to relax. I'm excited as anyone other Sprint slappy.

What really frosts me, and it caught me in a grumpy mood the other day, is the holier-than-thou attitude. I'm not singling out any one person since it's sitewide and nationwide. But what makes someone in Hart or Howell or Big Rapids or Clare or Outer Nowheresville less important than someone in Metro Detroit or other large metro area? Just because you live in a big city? BFD! I mean, really, so what? About 90% of the sites in Michigan do not have live Sprint LTE. We're all waiting for it. Cripes, I mean really, it just got started.

So, relax. Sprint has their reasons and methodologies for deployment. Some are known, some are speculation. We simply wait until it's our turn. Then when it hits our local tower, we map the s**t out of it on Sensorly. We're all in this together.

I don't blame people for being frustrated at all. I just want them to deal with Sprint customer service when it comes to the bad. The more people that call in, the more data that Sprint can use to improve their networks. And, if Sprint shows disrespect and disregard, and people come back and tell us about it, at that point we can make more disturbing conclusions.

But what makes someone in Hart or Howell or Big Rapids or Clare or Outer Nowheresville less important than someone in Metro Detroit or other large metro area? Just because you live in a big city? BFD!

Yeah, I'm good with that. I'm just boggled by which towers get it over others; there doesn't seem to be a pattern around here. Lansing seems to have 1/10 of the towers done but the Potterville area is rife with LTE from Charlotte to Dimondale. Like I said in my other post, I'm just worried about the tower I can see from here since it seems to be the bastard of the area.

But then, maybe if I had a decent phone (Viper) I could see a difference.

But what makes someone in Hart or Howell or Big Rapids or Clare or Outer Nowheresville less important than someone in Metro Detroit or other large metro area?

I half agree and half disagree with what I think you're saying. One the one side, hitting the tower in the middle of Big Rapids would immediately give everyone in town (all the students at Ferris State) LTE, compared to a single tower in downtown Detroit that would immediately be saturated by users and give much slower speeds than anyone wants. The small town towers give better immediate results because they cover their full range and blanket everyone there with what completed NV will give them.

On the other hand, the highway towers work the opposite way. They're probably never saturated, which is why they are no more tightly spaced on the busiest interstate routes than they are on the rarely used (but still main), 2 lane freeways up north. But as luck would have it you can now commute from Bay City to Big Rapids with LTE almost the whole way, for all 3 people that make that commute a week. Meanwhile traveling from Lansing to Detroit (capital to biggest city) you get LTE for 5-10% of your trip. For highways, hitting the most used interstates simply gives more people the full NV benefit for the 6-10 miles of road each tower covers.

And yes, I understand they aren't purposely choosing US-10 over I-96; it's just where the work has been approved and where they can get crews. But it's frustrating that it's not working out in the favor of very many commuters. I-94 has less than 1 mile of coverage from mile marker 1 to marker 100.

I think this thread should be for the CELEBRATION of LTE coming online at various sites in the East Michigan Market!! We should celebrate each and every one of them!! For every cell site that comes online with LTE, it's another site closer to having the market completed!! Don't sweat the small stuff! For I have seen the LTE coming and it is not an empty promise like WIMAX was! Rejoice in it!! Celebrate it!!

• Like 3

Back to regularly scheduled programming....

It appears work has been completed for a few days at the site on the north side of Fenton. Watching like a hawk watching for this one to go live.

drove by a site in Canton that it looks like work began on. it is on Canton Center road by the post office on the electrical transmission lines. They were digging a trench from the telephone lines to the equipment at the base of the tower.

Also, 4g dead spots in the Middlebelt I96 area by my work were not there today. Did the wind blow just right or did anyone notice anything new in the area?

Just drove by the tower at Grand Blanc Rd and I-75 and it appears NV panels have been installed on the Sprint rack. Can anyone in the Flint/Grand Blanc area confirm?