Network Vision/LTE - East Michigan Market (Detroit/Flint/Ann Arbor/Tri-Cities)

ReyBanz

Right after my post above I got 4g in Livonia on Middlebelt about 5 mile to 6 mile. I have not had a signal there before, even after Southfield went up. Have to try mapping out the Farmington area tomorrow.

I live in Southfield on 10 1/2 mile and from 12 mile to 9 mile you will have 4G but as soon as you pass 9 mile it goes back to 3g

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Got a decent signal in Inkster on Michigan Ave. for a bit. I drive though the area often and this is the first time I pick up something. So I would assume something new is around the area. I tried tracking it down on some of the mile roads to the south of it and didn't get anything.

I just talked to a crew from Henkels and McCoy who claimed they are contracted by General Dynamics working with Sprint that are doing the LTE upgrades he claimed for Eastern Michigan.

The sight being worked on is at 2203 Wadhams Rd Kimball, MI 48074, which is St. Clair County.

Not sure how much it has been announced, but he was told that the backhaul for the sight around here was supposedly complete already. He said it takes 2 to 3 days for them to finish usually.

Any idea when it usually comes online for us after this point. I realize there is usually site testing, but I got the feeling from other posts that sometimes we can also pick it up.

I'm excited; I work quite a bit in that area. This is the first crew I have seen doing upgrades.

Just discovered Sprint 4g LTE last night 3-21-2013, over by Grand River Rd and Orchard Lk Rd. Drove up Grand River to Power Rd and did some speed testing. Periodically topped out at 20 Meg/S down, over 10 Meg/S up. Fastest test was at approx. 17.5 MB/S down. I was impressed to say the least! Ran these tests with 2 bars, up to 3-4 bars up the middle of Grand River Rd. Lesser results on side streets 1.5 MB/S to 6 MB/S with almost no bars! Saw on the Sprint site that Ann Arbor is officially listed as having 4g LTE.

I live in Southfield and I was wondering if anyone know where the sprint tower is for Southfield or the closest tower

Can't you tell from the Sensorly map? It's in the no-man's-land between I-696 and M-10 (south of 11, west of Lahser).

Edited by nyxyxylyth

Just picked up 4G signals in Farmington Hills at 12 mile between Farmington Rd and Drake. I have done a sensorly plot when walking..I knew something was up when Llama picked up two new cell tower IDs for my home location...

Edited by nvwatcher

Just discovered Sprint 4g LTE last night 3-21-2013, over by Grand River Rd and Orchard Lk Rd. Drove up Grand River to Power Rd and did some speed testing. Periodically topped out at 20 Meg/S down, over 10 Meg/S up. Fastest test was at approx. 17.5 MB/S down. I was impressed to say the least! Ran these tests with 2 bars, up to 3-4 bars up the middle of Grand River Rd. Lesser results on side streets 1.5 MB/S to 6 MB/S with almost no bars! Saw on the Sprint site that Ann Arbor is officially listed as having 4g LTE.

Got a link to that exact page? I live in Ypsilanti, work in A2....the wife said we'd upgrade from the OG EVOs when LTE came to town, so I've been waiting with baited breath :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Just picked up 4G signals in Farmington Hills at 12 mile between Farmington Rd and Drake. I have done a sensorly plot when walking..I knew something was up when Llama picked up two new cell tower IDs for my home location...

What is the frequency of the 4G signal in that area? How is the signal strength? I only ask because I live there!

Nowhere in Michigan is LTE "officially" listed by Sprint as available.
it's too early, it will never be officially launch maybe if you're lucky until May. And I still would not hold my breath

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

to:

Joshmccullough

My bad. That was a network improvement list, not 4g LTE. However, while driving across I-696 over Telegraph Rd last night 3-23-2013, I ran a 4g speed test that ran up to 36 MB/s down. Due to the apparent multiple locations these signals are occurring, Sprint is obviously wiring the Detroit area for 4G LTE, officially listed or not. Granted, during this test phase, they're probably not capping throughput. The old WiMax protocol was having difficulties due to interference from a Canadian broadcast station, and Detroit is problably lucky they didn't employ WiMax, considering the changover complications.

• Like 1

My original discovery of a 4g signal was in my bed room on the 2nd floor of my apt building. I happen to be running an Airave 2.5 extender device due to the crappy voice reception at this location. I'm extremely curious whether or not the Airave was extending that signal, since supposedly those devices are unable to route 4g (from what I've read).

My original discovery of a 4g signal was in my bed room on the 2nd floor of my apt building. I happen to be running an Airave 2.5 extender device due to the crappy voice reception at this location. I'm extremely curious whether or not the Airave was extending that signal, since supposedly those devices are unable to route 4g (from what I've read).

I run an Airave 2.5 too. Airaves don't actually extend the signal from the tower. They broadcast their own signal from your broadband and in essence are a mini cell tower - not a repeater or booster. Airave 2.5 is only 3G capable. Any LTE signal you are receiving at your house is coming from a Sprint tower.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know the frequencies used nor how to find them. However, sensorly reveals 2-3 bars in that stretch.

What is the frequency of the 4G signal in that area? How is the signal strength? I only ask because I live there!

Got a link to that exact page? I live in Ypsilanti, work in A2....the wife said we'd upgrade from the OG EVOs when LTE came to town, so I've been waiting with baited breath :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Sensorly.com or app is really your best friend in this case. Couple that with a sponsorship to this site and you'll get coverage updates and info on an almost real time basis. At least more real time than you will get even from Sprint.

While Sprint has only announced the Tri-Cities as LTE coming soon, coverage is fairly widespread, though sporadic, across the lower half of the state. Take into consideration that Michigan sites just started going live with LTE in January.

• Like 1

This link from Sensorly clearly indicates the extent to which Sprint is building out 4G LTE throughout the Detroit area. You might note as in my previous post about 36MB/s down at 696/telegraph and the strength and concentration of towers in that area.

http://sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint#q=48336

• Like 1

Sensorly.com or app is really your best friend in this case. Couple that with a sponsorship to this site and you'll get coverage updates and info on an almost real time basis. At least more real time than you will get even from Sprint.

While Sprint has only announced the Tri-Cities as LTE coming soon, coverage is fairly widespread, though sporadic, across the lower half of the state. Take into consideration that Michigan sites just started going live with LTE in January.

It is interesting that Sprint is playing their cards so close to the vest when you have so many subscribers impatiently awaiting the arrival of (and paying for) 4G LTE. You'd think they would be happy to say Detroit is under development at this time. Come on Sprint, throw us a carrot!

I run an Airave 2.5 too. Airaves don't actually extend the signal from the tower. They broadcast their own signal from your broadband and in essence are a mini cell tower - not a repeater or booster. Airave 2.5 is only 3G capable. Any LTE signal you are receiving at your house is coming from a Sprint tower.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Which is exciting news because I received that marginal 4g signal (1 bar) while employing the Airave 2.5! From what I'm seeing, the reach of 4g LTE signals is quite impressive.

It is interesting that Sprint is playing their cards so close to the vest when you have so many subscribers impatiently awaiting the arrival of (and paying for) 4G LTE. You'd think they would be happy to say Detroit is under development at this time. Come on Sprint, throw us a carrot!

Very true. I had to talk a friend out of going to tmobile. He lives in Ferndale and is surrounded by it and didn't know. We drove to royal oak so hevis giving them another month

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not a marketing person, I don't play one on TV, I'm not Unfrozen Caveman Marketeer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night so I'm not going to even try to figure out their strategy or armchair quarterback their moves.

However, with my limited and novice insight, I could see a press release in the near future announcing the launch of GR, Metro Detroit, Flint and possibly TC, A2 and Lansing along with the Tri's already announced as Coming Soon considering the speed and breadth off the rollout thus far.

Also of note is the fact that I'm seeing decent download speeds (1.5-7 MB/s) even with barely 1 or even no bars! Anybody know what frequencies these signals broadcast on?

Everything for the eastern michigan market(3g and 4g lte) operates in the 1900mhz frequency band. Eastern michigan in the exclusion zone for sprint to set up 800mhz until an agreement with Industry Canada and the FCC.

I'm not a marketing person, I don't play one on TV, I'm not Unfrozen Caveman Marketeer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night so I'm not going to even try to figure out their strategy or armchair quarterback their moves.

However, with my limited and novice insight, I could see a press release in the near future announcing the launch of GR, Metro Detroit, Flint and possibly TC, A2 and Lansing along with the Tri's already announced as Coming Soon considering the speed and breadth off the rollout thus far.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express a few nights ago. Does that count? What is the half-life of your Holiday Inn Express superpowers, anyway? Is it just 24 hours? I've always wondered. :)

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD