Network Vision/LTE - SF Bay Market

breakaes

Hard to say. The third rack from the top might have something, but I really can't say. If you can get some tighter shots of each level we can probably get a much better idea.

Thanks it's not terribly important I was just being curious. This is the site that I connect to when I'm at home and I get amazing B25 speeds so I'm not super concerned for B41.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

I would say no.

Never seen a site quite like that before.

It's right behind the local fire station in Bayfarm/Harbor Bay Alameda. I'm guessing it has all the carriers here because this part of town is all houses and the HOA probably don't want towers in their developments. So this means there's around 3 towers servicing the entire area. There actually building a light post tower in the baseball field in a nearby park. I'm guessing it's AT&T's but I could be wrong.

Thanks it's not terribly important I was just being curious. This is the site that I connect to when I'm at home and I get amazing B25 speeds so I'm not super concerned for B41.

Not a problem. The panels and RRUs are fairly distinctive when seen close up.

That is certainly an interesting site. Unless you got the angle just right it appears that all but one of the carriers have deployed only 2 sectors on that site.

I just checked some reference, according to this site:

http://specmap.sequence-omega.net/

Sprint's market ownership in San Francisco Bay market for SMR is 818-824MHz, 863-869MHz. That's only a 6x6MHz block of spectrum.

The system San Francisco is using is a Motorola Type II SmartZone, Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface running on 851-857MHz.

Looks like it doesn't overlap Sprint's license, but only gives them the ability to deploy a 3x3MHz LTE config in addition to a 1x800MHz channel.

I just checked some reference, according to this site:

http://specmap.sequence-omega.net/

Sprint's market ownership in San Francisco Bay market for SMR is 818-824MHz, 863-869MHz. That's only a 6x6MHz block of spectrum.

The system San Francisco is using is a Motorola Type II SmartZone, Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface running on 851-857MHz.

Looks like it doesn't overlap Sprint's license, but only gives them the ability to deploy a 3x3MHz LTE config in addition to a 1x800MHz channel.

They only show above 818MHz and higher on that site based on how the FCC was listing spectrum data back when it complied the data for its maps. Use the Premier Sponsor 800 spectrum map for more complete SMR spectrum info for Sprint.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I think Clearwire is currently much faster converting their Wimax sites to LTE as Sprint with their normal NV in the Bay Area

Well it's not really hard to be faster than a complete standstill. 

• Like 1

So are permits the only thing holding up Sprint here or is it something else?

There are many many sites permitted anywhere from 2 years ago to a few months ago that aren't moving either (at least in SF). East Bay progress is actually quite far along, but I'm not sure why there's been no change there in forever either (probably backhaul restraints). 

I just find it so odd that SF is one of the only major markets that hasn't officially launched. Luckily I live in the east bay where there's actual progress. But there's huge holes that only B26 can fill or a PRL update for iPhone's to actually use SMR…

I just find it so odd that SF is one of the only major markets that hasn't officially launched. Luckily I live in the east bay where there's actual progress. But there's huge holes that only B26 can fill or a PRL update for iPhone's to actually use SMR…

Sacramento MTA a little up i80 says hi!

• Like 1

Sacramento MTA a little up i80 says hi!

I do envy your hard work on those maps for the Central Valley though :). dbsynergy does some great work, but theres not enough of us down here all the time to get that kind of data. 

What is the holdup in our markets? Grahh Sprint. 

Oh yeah I forgot about Sacramento…mostly just Northern California is really far behind

The Samsung market that's the furthest behind actually. 

I do envy your hard work on those maps for the Central Valley though :). dbsynergy does some great work, but theres not enough of us down here all the time to get that kind of data. 

It takes a lot of time and dedication to get one of these maps that some of us run.

He does great work on his permit tracking but doing what I and a few others do for a market as huge as San Francisco and the bay area is a multi person endeavor that would require dozens of dedicated members out there. Shame that isn't a case in our Samsung regions in Cali but it is what it is.

Side note from what I understand it's a mixture of inept contractors, sprint not paying contractors enough for them to give a damn, government red tape (especially in the bay), local associations like Nimbys and HOAs not giving access to contractors etc.   

• Like 1

Thanks!

Permitting isn't the issue in San Francisco. They finished the permits for 94 of the 117 sites in San Francisco in 2012. Since Jan 1 2013, there have been only 16 permit applications from Sprint for NV 1.0. Many of the sites that have permits issued have not ever been worked on. 

I wish I knew what the holdup was. The lack of progress drove me to T-Mobile for the time being. If you look on Sprint forums, they will tell you 3 months, but they've been saying that since 2013.

• Like 1

So at Giants games I usually just use the stadium wifi due to a lack of accepted NV sites, but I forgot to connect to it this time. I was on 3G when i got there, but then out of no where my phone switched to band 41 LTE and stayed for a while. I'm hoping this means SF is closer to a cluster launch of NV equipment.

• Like 1

Feels like something might be coming soon. In the past week or two it seems that 3G service has gone from slow to really slow, but I've had some luck toggling airplane mode and picking up LTE.

A couple of sites around golden gate park got updates on network.sprint.com

I count about 6 sites in Richmond and sunset that are on the sprints map that are not on ours. Is this an imminent sign? I never really followed the Sprint map. Does "data capacity upgrades" usually mean band 41?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I count about 6 sites in Richmond and sunset that are on the sprints map that are not on ours. Is this an imminent sign? I never really followed the Sprint map. Does "data capacity upgrades" usually mean band 41?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Probably just 3G accepting the cluster. Exciting, but hardly groundbreaking. Typically 1 data speed upgrade is 3G and two data speed upgrades are LTE.