Network Vision/LTE - SF Bay Market

breakaes

Thanks last night I was trying to use the Cell ID against the maps but was confused why they didn't match up.

Yeah unfortunately, GCIs don't reliably map to Site IDs. In some markets there's a formula to get a site id from a GCI, but not here. 

Well that sucks. Anyway I'm happy that B26 has started deployment because schools about to start and coverage is beyond horrible

Are you talking about the east bay coverage?  Besides UC Berkeley, LTE is mostly available on most sites in the east bay.

Are you talking about the east bay coverage? Besides UC Berkeley, LTE is mostly available on most sites in the east bay.

No I was talking about the coverage at my school is beyond horrible. Weirdly there's a tmobile site right in the middle of the campus [emoji107] and a Verizon site a block away.

I take it that he's in Alameda. Dat site spacing. Eugh.

Yeah I'm in Alameda but live on Bayfarm and get amazing speeds on an underutilized B25 site. Most people here have Verizon/AT&T here so I get amazing speeds when I'm at home but I'd rather use my Comcast 50+ MBs wifi

• Like 1

There's no way to do it from the GCI alone. You have to do some detective work, get close to sites (~-70dm) and note down which GCI you're getting as a site note in SCP. Some markets with more members crowd source this and have extensive GCI to site mappings, but we don't really have the manpower out here. 

Is there an existing spreadsheet for any GCI mappings in this market? If so, there are a few sites I can add in Emeryville, Berkeley, and Oakland.

• Like 1

Is there an existing spreadsheet for any GCI mappings in this market? If so, there are a few sites I can add in Emeryville, Berkeley, and Oakland.

No but feel free to start one! We can just start with a simple Google spreadsheet, you can put a few GCI -> Site ID mappings there and we can expand from there. Add it to the Sponsor thread that dbsynergy runs, and we'll start contributing. 

Yeah unfortunately, GCIs don't reliably map to Site IDs. In some markets there's a formula to get a site id from a GCI, but not here.

It's not actually a formula. Once you have collected a good number of GCIs and matched them to their sites, a pattern should develop allowing you to predict (roughly) the remaining.

Sent from my LG G3

It's not actually a formula. Once you have collected a good number of GCIs and matched them to their sites, a pattern should develop allowing you to predict (roughly) the remaining.

Sent from my LG G3

In Chicago for B41 Clear sites there is an actual formula to map GCIs to Site IDs (don't know if this is a unique to Chicagoland thing, or a unique to Clear thing, or both), it involves some simple hexadecimal math and a bit mask. tommym65 discovered it.

In Chicago for B41 Clear sites there is an actual formula to map GCIs to Site IDs (don't know if this is a unique to Chicagoland thing, or a unique to Clear thing, or both), it involves some simple hexadecimal math and a bit mask. tommym65 discovered it.

Ah, that. For Sprint sites anyway, no formulas needed.

Sent from my LG G3

I'm at the same spot where I found B26 the other day but I'm only connecting to B25 from the same site [emoji17]

Edit: Just connected to B26 from the same site and I have a hunch that it's coming from the site on Alameda hospital. But I haven't figured out that sites Cell ID and physical ID yet.

• Like 1

How is the new custer launch in SF?  Are things getting better out there?  I am going to SF at the end of the month, hopefully all those cluster launched sites get LTE.

How is the new custer launch in SF?  Are things getting better out there?  I am going to SF at the end of the month, hopefully all those cluster launched sites get LTE.

eCSFB was a bitch when i drove by yesterday. Hopefully Ericsson gets off their butts and push the software updates quickly. 

How is the new custer launch in SF? Are things getting better out there? I am going to SF at the end of the month, hopefully all those cluster launched sites get LTE.

Seems like everywhere I go, it's still just 3G. The density of LTE towers is low, so when I do get it, it's maybe 2Mbit with towers overloaded. We made progress, but need another 6 months of work.

eCSFB was a bitch when i drove by yesterday. Hopefully Ericsson gets off their butts and push the software updates quickly.

eCSFB was working fine this morning, but all that happened is I picked up a very distant B41 tower with slow speeds.

South San Jose launch is a joke. Maybe if they had B26 there, it wouldn't be as bad. I bet 3G works great there with all the phones fighting over scraps of LTE. :)