Network Vision/LTE - SF Bay Market

breakaes

I had no idea we had any B41 in Alameda :twitch:  but I have a 5S so I wouldn't know anyway. I'm just "patiently" waiting for some B26 or if someone found a way to change the band priority on iPhones like you can do on Androids. I kinda regret switching back because Sprint androids get all the fun nerdy stuff like Signal Check :td:  oh well you can't win everything

I had no idea we had any B41 in Alameda :twitch:  but I have a 5S so I wouldn't know anyway. I'm just "patiently" waiting for some B26 or if someone found a way to change the band priority on iPhones like you can do on Androids. I kinda regret switching back because Sprint androids get all the fun nerdy stuff like Signal Check :td:  oh well you can't win everything

There are only 2 Clear sites on Alameda getting upgraded to B41. You can see where they are here:

http://www.clear.com/coverage

Was this baseband .15?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes. I only use baseband .15 now :) When I'm in SF, I put my phone in 3G mode to stop it from trying to connect to LTE, but when I need to download something and I know I'm near a B41 site, I'll click on the LTE and go nuts.

Those Clear coverage maps are much nicer than the Sprint coverage maps....

Yeah, they really are. Sprint should seriously dump the coverage maps they're using now. They were probably cool a decade ago when mapquest had the same features, but now they're just old looking.

Yeah, they really are. Sprint should seriously dump the coverage maps they're using now. They were probably cool a decade ago when mapquest had the same features, but now they're just old looking.

I think Sprint needs a major brand overhaul along with a new website this year. Also the tower spacing here is pretty bad or I always happen to be between 2 or more sites...

Those Clear coverage maps are much nicer than the Sprint coverage maps....

Oh yeh.  I never even use the Sprint coverage map because it annoys the hell out of me. Drag--Wait to load-- Drag--Wait to load. On top of that, the box is smaller than your average smart phone screen.

I think Sprint needs a major brand overhaul along with a new website this year. Also the tower spacing here is pretty bad or I always happen to be between 2 or more sites...

I was told that Sprint has a major site overhaul a few years ago....but in internet terms that is thousands of years. The tower spacing doesn't look horrible over there. 800 Mhz will definitely help with those in-between fringe areas with your 5S.

Oh yeh.  I never even use the Sprint coverage map because it annoys the hell out of me. Drag--Wait to load-- Drag--Wait to load. On top of that, the box is smaller than your average smart phone screen.

I was told that Sprint has a major site overhaul a few years ago....but in internet terms that is thousands of years. The tower spacing doesn't look horrible over there. 800 Mhz will definitely help with those in-between fringe areas with your 5S.

The only problem is for whatever reason Sprint iPhones I believe (from experience and from posts on this site) they prefer to hold onto a very weak PCs signal rather than use SMR or roam on Verizon. This means that you have an almost useless phone that dies very quickly  :td:

The only problem is for whatever reason Sprint iPhones I believe (from experience and from posts on this site) they prefer to hold onto a very weak PCs signal rather than use SMR or roam on Verizon. This means that you have an almost useless phone that dies very quickly  :td:

Well LTE is network controlled. Hopefully the network will realize that you are on a unstable and slow b25 and prioritize b26 for you while you are in that area. From what I also understand, once you connect to b26 you will stay on it until you drop it.

That's good to hear but I was referring to 3G because PCS LTE doesn't even have a chance in the buildings I'm in most of the time. It dies off almost instantly when you step on campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With 800 Mhz B26  you won't even have to worry about switching to 3g. That is, when it is launched in your area. It's the same in my area. If I am not about 1 mile or less from the tower, as soon as I step inside a building it goes right to 3g or 1x.

Yes. I only use baseband .15 now :) When I'm in SF, I put my phone in 3G mode to stop it from trying to connect to LTE, but when I need to download something and I know I'm near a B41 site, I'll click on the LTE and go nuts.

What do you do about phone calls and texts? Groove IP and google voice?

What do you do about phone calls and texts? Groove IP and google voice?

Most of my friends use Hangouts for chatting so I normally do that. I leave my phone in 3G mode though in SF so I can get and place phone calls. 

Most of my friends use Hangouts for chatting so I normally do that. I leave my phone in 3G mode though in SF so I can get and place phone calls.

Oh duh, now I see what you mean. I hate that on the s3 you need to reboot to go into 3g only mode.

I'm going to SF next week with a Nexus 5.  When I visited last year, CSFB wasn't working in SF.  Has there been any progress on CSFB in the city proper?

Not really unfortunately. There's been some progress in the Richmond district, but the city proper is pretty stagnant still, with 3G clusters still not being accepted for e/CSFB usage. 

I'm going to SF next week with a Nexus 5.  When I visited last year, CSFB wasn't working in SF.  Has there been any progress on CSFB in the city proper?

From my point of view, there has been zero progress in SF. In fact, some areas may be a little worse than before but maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me.  

If you are coming to SF with a Nexus 5, install the .15 baseband discussed in the LG Google Nexus 5 thread and leave your phone in 3G mode. When you are in the financial district, turn it over to LTE mode, and enjoy the B41. It's nice!

Not really unfortunately. There's been some progress in the Richmond district, but the city proper is pretty stagnant still, with 3G clusters still not being accepted for e/CSFB usage.

Richmond district is still stagnant. It's the sunset that's been getting the love.

Has anyone else noticed issues with 1x 800 in the area? In Emeryville ever since they turned on 1x 800 around Thanksgiving, my call quality has been horrible (cutting out constantly) and texting very unreliable (get stuck sending, sending multiple copies, etc). I have a non-triband Galaxy S4, so it's not a CSFB issue. I verified that calls were indeed using the HD voice codec as well.

I modified my PRL to prioritize 1900 over 800 for SID 4183, and the problems went away. My phone is connecting to the same towers as it did for 1x 800 according to Signal Check Pro. So the only difference is 1900 vs 800.

Is anyone else seeing this? What could be the reason for it?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Has anyone else noticed issues with 1x 800 in the area? In Emeryville ever since they turned on 1x 800 around Thanksgiving, my call quality has been horrible (cutting out constantly) and texting very unreliable (get stuck sending, sending multiple copies, etc). I have a non-triband Galaxy S4, so it's not a CSFB issue. I verified that calls were indeed using the HD voice codec as well.

I modified my PRL to prioritize 1900 over 800 for SID 4183, and the problems went away. My phone is connecting to the same towers as it did for 1x 800 according to Signal Check Pro. So the only difference is 1900 vs 800.

Yes I noticed the same thing in Emeryville and Oakland near the Bay Bridge. You should contact Sprint's customer support. Tell them you are having audio quality issues and you want to file a ticket.

I'm having the same exact issues with 1x 800 in San Francisco. Ever since it's been turned on its been bitter sweet. Glad to see work being done. But a lot of my calls get dropped now. Multiple times a day. Whereas before I never dropped calls. Texts are sporadic too. But I blame Google voice for that more than anything.

I hope it gets better once it's all fine tuned.