Network Vision/LTE - SF Bay Market

breakaes

1x800 in SF too. No signs of CSFB yet though, so still no LTE for tri-band handsets.

Posted Image

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Where in sf did you get 800? I get it routinely in sf but the signal comes from Daly City for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

A couple blocks from Ghirardelli Square.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My guess is that's a signal from the other side of the bay, probably Albany or Sausalito. Your Ec/Io is pretty terrible in that screenshot.

Were you just visiting or are you from there? I don't have a table of SID NID BID like some others here do, so I can't tell you what tower you are connected to.

If you want to see which tower you are connected to, this is a decent app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.parizene.netmonitor&hl=en The geo locations are not usually 100% accurate, but they give you a rough idea. 

I have been getting HD Voice with a friend here in the bay who owns a G2 and it sounds amazing. FYI it doesn't always connect the first call. I will be connected for a few seconds and the call will go silentt w/o HD. Then I hang up and call back and HD will be engaged. Not sure if this is just a glitch between phones or the network here in the bay. Only an observation at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice huge 800 update today. Too bad nothing for sf proper. I was in diamond Heights in sf near twin peaks and I got 800 1x from Oakland and Alameda. 3 different towers.

is 800 still spotty in that area? When I was in Hayward and Union City I struggled to maintain 800 but LTE was really good.

is 800 still spotty in that area? When I was in Hayward and Union City I struggled to maintain 800 but LTE was really good.

No site in the city of San Francisco is 800 accepted yet. So I mainly get 800 1x from the south in daly city. Today is the first time I got it from the East bay. Well at least that I noticed. The market as a whole got hundreds of 800 1x sites accepted today. South Bay too. But none in sf.

No site in the city of San Francisco is 800 accepted yet. So I mainly get 800 1x from the south in daly city. Today is the first time I got it from the East bay. Well at least that I noticed. The market as a whole got hundreds of 800 1x sites accepted today. South Bay too. But none in sf.

I haven't connected to any sites in the south bay. Was in San Jose yesterday for hours and nothing. Not even on the drive on 680 south and north. I only get 800 when i'm in the Bart station in Livermore or at some relatives in Union City and Hayward.

The bay area except for SF and Palo Alto is coming along pretty nice.

I haven't connected to any sites in the south bay. Was in San Jose yesterday for hours and nothing. Not even on the drive on 680 south and north. I only get 800 when i'm in the Bart station in Livermore or at some relatives in Union City and Hayward.

You're only gonna connect to 800 when you lose weight 1900. Unless you force it with a prl update or some other method.

And Berkeley.

But it does look pretty nice. Once they cluster launch sf it'll be great. Hope it's soon.

I think it might be soon. Over the last couple days, my phone has spent a considerable amount of time on 1X. My hope is that they are testing the EVDO equipment.

Yesterday morning the Bay Bridge was all 1X and kicked on EVDO when I got into the city. Then in the evening the reverse was true. 

Judging by how long it took other markets to progress, I doubt SF, PAMPA (Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Atherton) and Berkeley can just be flipped on.  Maybe Robert can comment, but I think it's unlikely many sites would flip from brown (no NV), to green (3G/800/LTE).  I'd imagine a minimum of 6 months at the earliest before SF could be announced.

Judging by how long it took other markets to progress, I doubt SF, PAMPA (Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Atherton) and Berkeley can just be flipped on.  Maybe Robert can comment, but I think it's unlikely many sites would flip from brown (no NV), to green (3G/800/LTE).  I'd imagine a minimum of 6 months at the earliest before SF could be announced.

You're basically correct.  Except that with Samsung, they started a push in early Fall working on getting the hardware installed at all sites in their areas.  We have seen huge clusters of Samsung sites go live.

Usually what happens with these new Samsung clusters is all the 3G is turned on at once.  Then they go back and fire up all the LTE at sites that also have upgraded backhaul.  Then they pick up all the remaining sites one at a time as backhaul arrives.

However, the City/County of San Francisco may not be a cluster launch this way.  It seems there is something else holding up everything there.  Getting Band 41 fired up there will help a lot.  But even that is not happening in a big way.  It almost feels like a Doctor Who episode.  As if there is some alien villain living off the Sprint network that prevents it from being upgraded.

doctor-who.jpg

If the Tardis shows up, maybe it's a sign that the Sprint San Francisco problem may soon be nigh.

Robert

• Like 2

I think it might be soon. Over the last couple days, my phone has spent a considerable amount of time on 1X. My hope is that they are testing the EVDO equipment.

Yesterday morning the Bay Bridge was all 1X and kicked on EVDO when I got into the city. Then in the evening the reverse was true. 

If I understand you correctly, I think you are saying that your reception is sooo bad that they must have something up their sleeve for the better?  I'm not sure if I disagree with that statement but I find it comical (I think the same way) that it is so bad, that it must be because something really good is going to happen. 

I hope you're right.  I'm a few weeks away from switching to TMO since they pay my ETF now.  Still would not want to but I really have no choice.

If I understand you correctly, I think you are saying that your reception is sooo bad that they must have something up their sleeve for the better?  I'm not sure if I disagree with that statement but I find it comical (I think the same way) that it is so bad, that it must be because something really good is going to happen. 

I hope you're right.  I'm a few weeks away from switching to TMO since they pay my ETF now.  Still would not want to but I really have no choice.

I used a tmobile SIM for a couple months to try out their network. It's pretty good in SF however I did have some problems with it when visiting family out of town and I had zero signal on a while traveling I-5 on a road trip I did to Las Vegas last week. 

I used a tmobile SIM for a couple months to try out their network. It's pretty good in SF however I did have some problems with it when visiting family out of town and I had zero signal on a while traveling I-5 on a road trip I did to Las Vegas last week. 

T-Mobile should be called MetroPCS becuase their network stops to be useable outsite any major metro area. MetroPCS had LA to LV covered with their slow 4GLTE but Tmo has not been able to convert it along the I-15 yet

That's one thing I think about when switching which is why I haven't switched so already.  I would argue that although Sprint has service in all areas, at times it's as useful as having no service at all.  I was on a phone call from San Fran to the airport and was disconnected 4 times on 280/101.  Very frustrating...maybe I should go to the evil ATT.

That's one thing I think about when switching which is why I haven't switched so already.  I would argue that although Sprint has service in all areas, at times it's as useful as having no service at all.  I was on a phone call from San Fran to the airport and was disconnected 4 times on 280/101.  Very frustrating...maybe I should go to the evil ATT.

Don't give up so fast.  Your call was dropped most likely because of Sprint's aggressive, yet seemingly random tower upgrades being performed in SF and its neighboring cities.  One of the drawbacks of the 'Network Vision' investment is the incompatibility of seamless call transfers from a cell tower with old equipment to one that has been upgraded.  Your call was most likely dropped from SF to Daly City and then from Daly City to South SF.  Just hang in there. In the end, we're still getting a much better bang for our buck than ATT subscribers.

Just connected to another 1x 800 about 2 miles north of the last one on noriega and 33rd. This might be the real thing folks!

Let's hope! That first one is already accepted with NV equipment, so it may just be they finally flipped 800 on, or you finally were able to connect. Is the second site also accepted already?