Network Vision/LTE - SF Bay Market

breakaes

Does not work. At least not yet. I figured out how to get my phone on LTE only mode and that actually gets it to connect to B25.

I enabled B41 with my msl and drove to some clear sites in SF to see if I could get some TD-LTE love. No luck.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Keep us posted. Any good 800 love?

On a related note found my first 800 site on the west side of Daly city. Connected at my house. 6 miles away. Hopefully it creeps up north. 

Keep us posted. Any good 800 love?

On a related note found my first 800 site on the west side of Daly city. Connected at my house. 6 miles away. Hopefully it creeps up north. 

I don't normally hang out in CDMA800 accepted neighborhoods. When I get CDMA BC10, it's some freak occurrence or I'm visiting someone away from home. I'll be spending a day in Mountain View in a couple days so I'll keep an eye out for some 800MHz signals when I'm down there.

• Like 1

I don't normally hang out in CDMA800 accepted neighborhoods. When I get CDMA BC10, it's some freak occurrence or I'm visiting someone away from home. I'll be spending a day in Mountain View in a couple days so I'll keep an eye out for some 800MHz signals when I'm down there.

Yeah most of the CDMA 800 sites I've connected to have all been by chance and are not on the accepted maps yet.

The one I found just now at home was because I did a prl update. Now it's staying connected for hours. I got so excited cause I thought it was an sf tower. And that meant ANY work was being done in sf. But alas only Daly City.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

At least not yet. I figured out how to get my phone on LTE only mode and that actually gets it to connect to B25.

How's n5 dealing with b25 in the bay so far? Is it a beast like other people are reporting?

BTW.  Could B41 be working, but SignalCheck Pro is just not able to properly detect it?  I saw the following note that came out with the update today:

Version 4.171 (11/6/2013):
Removed recognition of Sprint LTE Band 41 connections. Feature will be improved and included in a future release.

How's n5 dealing with b25 in the bay so far? Is it a beast like other people are reporting?

I've been stuck on 3G most of the time when I'm out and about. I have noticed at home when I force it to LTE only, I will get LTE in places that I was never able to get it, like the back side of my house, and deeper in treasure island than I've ever been able to get it before. It's pretty impressive.

• Like 1

So I got some good news and some bad news.

Good news is, my LTE works. I was visiting a big company in Mountain View and figured I should try out the LTE while I'm there:

Screenshot_2013-11-08-20-21-26_zps416eca

Screenshot_2013-11-08-20-18-05_zps07564a

Screenshot_2013-11-08-20-16-58_zps6db034

Screenshot_2013-11-08-20-17-05_zps892607

The bad news is my phone could not connect to Band 41, no matter what setting I tried, it always picked Band 25.

Even more bad news, as I was driving home, my LTE cut out and would not come back on, pretty much the instant I hit the South San Francisco border. This is leading me to think there might be some weird LTE restriction based on geography or RF Switching center for TriBand devices. 

• Like 1

I tried to but by the time I found it it was dark out.

Ah that sucks. Haven't been there since kitkat came out. For a second I remembered it being b(uilding) 41 which would have been funny. But it's actually b44. I know they used to have new product showcases to employees on Friday nights. You should have peeked you head in. :)

So I got some good news and some bad news.

Good news is, my LTE works. I was visiting a big company in Mountain View and figured I should try out the LTE while I'm there:

The bad news is my phone could not connect to Band 41, no matter what setting I tried, it always picked Band 25.

Even more bad news, as I was driving home, my LTE cut out and would not come back on, pretty much the instant I hit the South San Francisco border. This is leading me to think there might be some weird LTE restriction based on geography or RF Switching center for TriBand devices.

Makes a lot of sense with the newfound development. It appears you will get only get 3g in areas that are not 3g NV upgraded (aka city of sf) . It's explained in the he nexus 5 thread. At least other parts of the bay market are 3g NV upgraded.

Ah. I have not followed that thread today. Well I hope the 3G upgrades start moving along in SF then.

I am up in benicia right now visiting family and my LTE started working when I got to Richmond. That makes the 3G upgrades make sense and correlates with my experience too.

You asked about 800mhz earlier. I am associated to an airave on the 3G, hence signal check showing full signal there, and 800mhz from the closest tower. Easily 15db better than any other phone I've tried. Posted Image

• Like 1

Ah. I have not followed that thread today. Well I hope the 3G upgrades start moving along in SF then.

I am up in benicia right now visiting family and my LTE started working when I got to Richmond. That makes the 3G upgrades make sense and correlates with my experience too.

You asked about 800mhz earlier. I am associated to an airave on the 3G, hence signal check showing full signal there, and 800mhz from the closest tower. Easily 15db better than any other phone I've tried. Posted Image

So basically anywhere you see purple markers are gonna be no lte anymore. (unless forced). Hope for more purple turning yellow soon. Not many yellows in sf proper. Like 2.

I guess I'm gonna hold off on this N5 til this gets sorted out.

Maybe the S5 will be out by then.

So basically anywhere you see purple markers are gonna be no lte anymore. (unless forced). Hope for more purple turning yellow soon. Not many yellows in sf proper. Like 2.

I guess I'm gonna hold off on this N5 til this gets sorted out.

Maybe the S5 will be out by then.

Robert explains this whole situation here.  It looks like it will not matter what phone you use, if it is tri-band then there is going to be issues until it is sorted out.

Anyone having any issues with 3g data today in or around sf? It's not even slow 3g data for me. Intermittent 3g data for me. Cuts off for minutes or much longer. Then it's fine. This is on my s3. Not in 4G today. I hope this is related to upgrading to 3g NV.

Anyone having any issues with 3g data today in or around sf? It's not even slow 3g data for me. Intermittent 3g data for me. Cuts off for minutes or much longer. Then it's fine. This is on my s3. Not in 4G today. I hope this is related to upgrading to 3g NV.

Oh I hope so. I got so sick of the Sprint CSFB LTE/1x issue that I went and got a T-Mobile Sim card last night. Popped that in my nexus 5 and been using that until Sprint works out this nightmare.

Oh I hope so. I got so sick of the Sprint CSFB LTE/1x issue that I went and got a T-Mobile Sim card last night. Popped that in my nexus 5 and been using that until Sprint works out this nightmare.

Damn. I hear ya. I was thinking when I get a n5 to also have a tmo SIM as a backup too.

I don't know if you're following the g2 thread. But a couple of users have connected to b41. So maybe you might have some luck around town too using their methods. Good luck!

While sitting at home in sf I connected to another cdma 800 site in Daly City. This time 8 miles away. The previous one I connected to was 6 miles away in DC.

I saw someone was mapping on a flight out of sfo on sensorly. Tsk Tsk.

• 2 weeks later...

As more people move to LTE, I find my WiMax speeds on the ol' Galaxy SII are much faster than the overburdened LTE in downtown SF.

ure7a9ed.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My friend was showing off his new iPhone 5s from tmo the other day. As a former Sprint customer, he was raving about their network. We ran a speed test in downtown SF and he was getting similar speeds to that on 4g (grrrrr).

My friend was showing off his new iPhone 5s from tmo the other day. As a former Sprint customer, he was raving about their network. We ran a speed test in downtown SF and he was getting similar speeds to that on 4g (grrrrr).

I have their sim and lte is pretty good wherever I go. Now they're also releasing their next 4g lte generation and saw speeds of 70 MBPS  +. It's on Instagram too.

We'll see how Sprint does whenever this is completed.

I have their sim and lte is pretty good wherever I go. Now they're also releasing their next 4g lte generation and saw speeds of 70 MBPS  +. It's on Instagram too.

We'll see how Sprint does whenever this is completed.

Hearing this will be the final nail in the coffin with me and Sprint - although I probably don't need 70+ mbps speeds just yet.  Totally understand the "pardon the dust" concept but they need to show some signs of improvement over the course of over a year.  Slow data is one thing, but unusable data is another.  

To be fair, TMO's data speeds have to slow down (or does it?) as they continue to add users from the competition.

This is a good case study of poor implementation/setting expectations.

Hearing this will be the final nail in the coffin with me and Sprint - although I probably don't need 70+ mbps speeds just yet.  Totally understand the "pardon the dust" concept but they need to show some signs of improvement over the course of over a year.  Slow data is one thing, but unusable data is another.  

To be fair, TMO's data speeds have to slow down (or does it?) as they continue to add users from the competition.

This is a good case study of poor implementation/setting expectations.

Yeah it slowed down a lot when I entered SF from the Bay Bridge. Full bars LTE was a joke.

I popped my Sprint Sim card soon after and I was able to use LTE. I didn't get Spark which I thought I would have since it's suppose to be available in downtown SF.

I heard Verizon also has very bad LTE in SF. All carriers are having slow data issues in the city from what I seen on my friend's phones (AT&T and Verizon).

I was in SF on a Friday because of the Autoshow so it was pretty crowded. The LTE from Sprint was usable and at times more reliable than T Mobile. I'm only using the T mobile sim card because it has LTE in the Central Valley and it's really good in this area.

We'll see what happens in the next couple of months.

Unfortunately, on workdays Sprint's data is unusable in downtown SF (Financial district) like 50% of the times. And when I say unusable, I mean no data at all. The phone is timing out when trying to resolve DNS on LTE. If I switch to 3G, I get speeds that are embarrassingly close to zero (0.15 - 0.05 Mbps). And in general, you need to do constant airplane mode, power cycle etc. to get data to work. Other carriers might be slower at times / locations, but nothing as bad.

I am seeing it even while on the street.

In fact, I once noticed it just when I was in front of the Sprint store on market st. So I decided to walk in and check how other phones are doing, to eliminate an issue with my phone. The guy there told me I don't need to try. They are all getting the same (close to zero) speeds that I do.. 

The problem is not slow speeds. The network is just unreliable at the moment. There are also voice issues: lots of dropped calls. 

I really hope that things will get better soon enough, but right now the service in downtown SF is just bad. 

By the way, SF does not have spark. It doesn't even officially have LTE yet.