Network Vision/LTE - SF Bay Market

breakaes

I think the white pins only appear when ppl post pictures of the towers. So more white pins in an area may just mean more members taking pics there, not necessarily more actual tower development going on. 

White pins or not, I can attest that LTE is still unusable in downtown SF.  Although I have seen a very slight improvement in 3g as it is usable now.  Don't know if that is due to some tower upgrade or if it is due to people leaving Sprint for another carrier, or a combination of both.  I signed up for Tmobile after I could not use my iPhone a few Friday's ago but returned the phone once my head cooled down.  I'm going to tough it out as I can't see myself paying $350 for the ETF then paying almost $400 for a new phone.

The way I see it now, it can't get any worse...or can it...

I think the white pins only appear when ppl post pictures of the towers. So more white pins in an area may just mean more members taking pics there, not necessarily more actual tower development going on.

I think the white pins in certain cities were also permits that were various stages of approval. I think that was the case for the city of sf and their white pins. They've been around since almost the beginning of the map. It's funny cause most of the cell sites in sf now are approved. So I guess there should be alot more white pins on the board. But looks like not much movement going on in the city. I've visited a couple of sites with permit approvals and I've seen no new equipment or sign of work being done. So who knows what's going on in sf.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes!!! Downtown Mountain View site finally got accepted! Only with 3G/4G (not 1x800 yet), but I'll take that!

Isn't there free citywide wifi in Mountain View?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Isn't there free citywide wifi in Mountain View?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

It's super fast too. But handoffs are fair/poor. And not everywhere. Even at the Google campus the wifi isn't everywhere. So if you're stationary and can get it, it's great!

• 2 weeks later...

Still completely unusable in almost the entire downtown SF area.  I work in FiDi and live on the far West edge of Union Square.

I only have beginning knowledge of how this 4G rollout process goes, but I'm starting to get really frustrated.  I've had my phone set to CDMA only for probably 4 months now due to it being unusable when it seems to think it has 4G service.  Every so often I get hopeful and flip it back to CDMA/LTE, only to be met with endlessly spinning loading icons.

-Sean

Still completely unusable in almost the entire downtown SF area.  I work in FiDi and live on the far West edge of Union Square.

I only have beginning knowledge of how this 4G rollout process goes, but I'm starting to get really frustrated.  I've had my phone set to CDMA only for probably 4 months now due to it being unusable when it seems to think it has 4G service.  Every so often I get hopeful and flip it back to CDMA/LTE, only to be met with endlessly spinning loading icons.

-Sean

EVO LTE?

Still completely unusable in almost the entire downtown SF area. I work in FiDi and live on the far West edge of Union Square.

I only have beginning knowledge of how this 4G rollout process goes, but I'm starting to get really frustrated. I've had my phone set to CDMA only for probably 4 months now due to it being unusable when it seems to think it has 4G service. Every so often I get hopeful and flip it back to CDMA/LTE, only to be met with endlessly spinning loading icons.

-Sean

Half the sites in the downtown area have lte live and the other have doesn't. I think and samsung should either turn off lte or quickly upgrade the towers that have not been, to avoid people in sf getting a bad tast in their mouth with sprint lte.

So I've been reading this thread and checking sensorly. I'm from Southern AZ and going to be visiting all the touristy places in San Fran proper and be staying in San Rafael in a hotel. Would you think I would get 4g around most of the city? Is San Fran lit up mostly with 4g?

So I've been reading this thread and checking sensorly. I'm from Southern AZ and going to be visiting all the touristy places in San Fran proper and be staying in San Rafael in a hotel. Would you think I would get 4g around most of the city? Is San Fran lit up mostly with 4g?

There are several places in the bay area where the LTE is great but San Francisco in not one of them. There has not been any progress in San Francisco in months. Downtown you will get a strong LTE signal but don't try to use it during the morning commute through the evening commute. It won't work. The Castro, Noe Valley, and Mission districts don't have any LTE at all.

I know there is a working 4G tower near the fisherman's wharf. In some of the areas without the tall buildings, the LTE works most of the time. Golden gate park and city zoo has LTE in some spots.

Outside of the city, you'll find the bay area is coming along nicely except for Berkeley. San Rafael should have good coverage.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Its not just him. I have the same troubles downtown.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Me 3. In sf I can only use lte in the Richmond and sunset neighborhoods. Imagine a year ago when these first started popping up how excited we were. Ah memories.

Seriously I wonder what the hell the holdup is. It's almost comical how useless it's been downtown.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

I suspect that the Clearwire 2600 network is up around SF.  If you have a tri-band phone, give it a whirl.  It might work well outside.  Frequently, the LTE towers in downtown are overloaded or signal is weak, but your phone still picks it up.  In those cases, i turn off LTE and use 3G which works fine - certainly better than 3G in Omaha, Nebraska.

I suspect that the Clearwire 2600 network is up around SF.  If you have a tri-band phone, give it a whirl.  It might work well outside.  Frequently, the LTE towers in downtown are overloaded or signal is weak, but your phone still picks it up.  In those cases, i turn off LTE and use 3G which works fine - certainly better than 3G in Omaha, Nebraska.

The problem with this is that tri-and phones are locked out of non-1900 lte until an OTA updat arives "early 2014"

Me 3. In sf I can only use lte in the Richmond and sunset neighborhoods. Imagine a year ago when these first started popping up how excited we were. Ah memories.

Seriously I wonder what the hell the holdup is. It's almost comical how useless it's been downtown.

So you can get full LTE signal and still not be able to use data? That's insane...

So you can get full LTE signal and still not be able to use data? That's insane...

Completely useless. Can't even ping anything. Full lte signal. I will walk around the whole block where the site is located and nothing. Several sites. Been like that for weeks. Even been on higher floors with LOS and nothing.

At this point one or 2 sites won't even help that much. They almost have to turn all of the remaining sites on at the same time. Triband phones can't come soon enough.

• Like 1

Completely useless. Can't even ping anything. Full lte signal. I will walk around the whole block where the site is located and nothing. Several sites. Been like that for weeks. Even been on higher floors with LOS and nothing.

At this point one or 2 sites won't even help that much. They almost have to turn all of the remaining sites on at the same time. Triband phones can't come soon enough.

Yes very true. When I went to downtown Frisco by the westfield mall and union square area I was getting full bars LTE but it was completely useless. I was getting speeds of like 1.60 mbps. I was kinda bummed :wacko:

Yes very true. When I went to downtown Frisco by the westfield mall and union square area I was getting full bars LTE but it was completely useless. I was getting speeds of like 1.60 mbps. I was kinda bummed :wacko:

1.60? Must've been a weekend or after hours. That's great speeds weekday business hours! I literally can't even ping or connect to anything. Just hangs.

1.60? Must've been a weekend or after hours. That's great speeds weekday business hours! I literally can't even ping or connect to anything. Just hangs.

Haha yeah it was a Saturday back in June or July. Wow it gets worse than 1.60 on full bars lte?? :/

Hmm... I don't get it. I went to SF like 4 months ago and came away extremely impressed with the 4g speed and courage downtown. Has speed tapered off since a few months ago? Perhaps this is mirroring what is happening in Chicago? I'm surprised there is no press release if this turns out to be true.

Haha yeah it was a Saturday back in June or July. Wow it gets worse than 1.60 on full bars lte?? :/

Yeah July and August was where it started getting completely unusable during the day.

Hmm... I don't get it. I went to SF like 4 months ago and came away extremely impressed with the 4g speed and courage downtown. Has speed tapered off since a few months ago? Perhaps this is mirroring what is happening in Chicago? I'm surprised there is no press release if this turns out to be true.

Yeah it has gotten a lot worse since 4 months ago. The main difference between Chicago and sf is that sf is not even half way built out. Not one new lte tower in the city in at least 2 months. So more lte handsets added everyday but no new capacity. Some neighborhoods aren't bad. But downtown is just completely logjammed.

If I can ever get over 1mb in downtown sf I would literally pass out in happiness. Hope sf one day gets on sprints radar for improved or just even usable lte in the near future.