Analyst: iPhone 5 will show downside of Sprint’s network

I may sound like a noob but what's wrong with ATT? I thought big red were the evil ones that lock all the phones to prevent root.

Also, if sprint takes unlimited... Will I be grandfathered in? I been with them since the OG EVO

Big Red is only slightly evil. ATT invented evil. Also their coverage is not that great. Most of their map is still GSM/EDGE.

That is up to sprint if they decide to grandfather their customers. Tmobile did not grandfather customers, they just set a high cap(5Gbs). Of course, Tmobile then lowered it to 2Gbs for people who updated their plan in anyway. ATT originally grandfathered their customers, then followed Tmobile and set a high cap(3gb 3g/ 5gb lte). Verizon has let their customers keep unlimited, but at the cost of their subsidy.

Sprint will probably follow Tmobile and give grandfathered customers a high cap over grandfathering, then throttle them. Although, I believe Sprint will keep unlimited until Tmobile gives it up. I doubt they would want to let Tmobile have a huge differentiator.

Big Red is only slightly evil. ATT invented evil. Also their coverage is not that great. Most of their map is still GSM/EDGE.

That is up to sprint if they decide to grandfather their customers. Tmobile did not grandfather customers, they just set a high cap(5Gbs). Of course, Tmobile then lowered it to 2Gbs for people who updated their plan in anyway. ATT originally grandfathered their customers, then followed Tmobile and set a high cap(3gb 3g/ 5gb lte). Verizon has let their customers keep unlimited, but at the cost of their subsidy.

Sprint will probably follow Tmobile and give grandfathered customers a high cap over grandfathering, then throttle them. Although, I believe Sprint will keep unlimited until Tmobile gives it up. I doubt they would want to let Tmobile have a huge differentiator.

I wouldn't say AT&T invented evil.

I would say they both try to best each other in who is the most evilest company. Every time Verizon does something bad AT&T follows and everytime AT&T does something bad Verizon follows. They kinda live off each other. They wait for the other company to do something that makes more money for them and then they follow because they know people can't go to the other network to escape it. They know they own a large amount of the market.

IMHO, I've been with Verizon and AT&T and while Verizon's phone quality is better, AT&T's speeds in my area are usually way faster, at least in the areas I've lived.

I believe AT&T still offers single phone contracts, unlike Verizon which forces you to go to a Family Plan. So in my data experience, I would need a ton of data for myself, haha.

Edited by nocturnal

You just taught me something then man lol. I definitely can't go to Verizon or ATT, I love unlimited and sometimes... I do use 6gb of data. The overage alone will kill me

Unless we are talking about public wireless policy, I'd prefer if we didn't discuss politics in the S4GRU forums.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 7

You just taught me something then man lol. I definitely can't go to Verizon or ATT, I love unlimited and sometimes... I do use 6gb of data. The overage alone will kill me

I miss unlimited data.( current ATT customers saving up to switch) Tier data is how they get you. I basically have to control my usage so I do not go over my cap. And shared data is how they are really going to screw people. Now instead of worrying about your own data, you gotta worry about the whole family.

I miss unlimited data.( current ATT customers saving up to switch) Tier data is how they get you. I basically have to control my usage so I do not go over my cap. And shared data is how they are really going to screw people. Now instead of worrying about your own data, you gotta worry about the whole family.

That's what I'm saying... Its a clear trap! Yes, sprint sucks, but at least I don't worry about secret overage. Why should you have to share data anyways? That doesn't make sense to me at all

That's what I'm saying... Its a clear trap! Yes, sprint sucks, but at least I don't worry about secret overage. Why should you have to share data anyways? That doesn't make sense to me at all

I miss the lack of worry when using my smartphone. It was pretty great. Turning into a Data Nazi sucks. Sprint might suck, but they are improving. I think Sprint is going to have one of the best networks in a few years, especially if the acquire some regional players. Their plan is pretty much the best plan I have read from the big three, plus they have the spectrum( including clear wire) to make it happen.

• Like 1

Not to be a smartypants, but I went to high school during the time of payphones. I didn't get my first cell phone until I was in college. I don't think phones belong in schools. It is nice for after school activities, but it is a giant distraction in the classroom.

Hah! I didn't get my first cell phone until I was a member of the working class (the 99%ers)...it was the old Mitsubishi bag phone style ... the one with the corded handset!

Schools here are pretty strict about phones, my kids only have them because they have 2 working parents, after school activities and a frequently rotating carpool situation - I want to be able to be in contact should something abnormal happen after school where I might need to pick them up for whatever reason.

If Sprint doesn't provide coverage where you need, but Verizon does, then you should go. But please, do not go to AT&T! If I ever had to leave Sprint, I would go with VZW. There are a few places in this country where AT&T has good coverage, but VZW and Sprint do not. God, I hope I never live in those places.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I will never go back to AT&T. I was with them before Sprint. Their service in my area is significantly worse. Their customer service is abysmal.

I'm holding on as long as I can. I'm hoping we get some news about the OC soon. I'd love to be able to see an improvement in service and go buy everybody in my family a new LTE phone.

• Like 1

You know it's funny that I knew who the so-called analyst for this article was before I even clicked on the link just from the description: http://www.marketwat...2?siteid=yhoof2

I hate quoting myself, but I'm simply amazed at how full of s__t Muppett is. From the quoted link this morning (10/2/12):

"Now, Sprint is left at the altar and is facing what is almost certainly a more challenging industry structure," Moffett wrote, adding that the rumored deal would be positive for both MetroPCS and T-Mobile, a unit of Deutsche Telekom.

Yet on 5/5/12: http://blogs.wsj.com...a-monkeys-body/

One analyst has come out to blast the idea of MetroPCS merging with T-Mobile.

Sanford Bernstein’s Craig Moffett all but laughs off the report under a note entitled: “Oh My, What an Ugly Baby.”

“What a combination between T-Mobile and MetroPCS would not be, however, is a solution to either company’s problems.” He goes on to call the proposal a “logistical nightmare” and says the two are emblematic of the industry issues outside of giants AT&T and Verizon Wireless.

So exactly what has changed in the last 5 months that now makes this deal a "positive" for both parties according to this buffoon?

• Like 4

I hate quoting myself, but I'm simply amazed at how full of s__t Muppett is. From the quoted link this morning (10/2/12):

Yet on 5/5/12: http://blogs.wsj.com...a-monkeys-body/

So exactly what has changed in the last 5 months that now makes this deal a "positive" for both parties according to this buffoon?

Because he can take another swipe at Sprint about their failed merger with MetroPCS. He is a dirty jack-wagon. But now, Tmo is the belle of the ball. What a buffoon.

Robert

• Like 2

I think in this day and age, consistency is what people really want, not necessarily who has the fastest ______ phone. If I was able to stream Pandora or Spotify everywhere, with no interruption for buffering, I'd be a happy guy. That's pretty low bandwidth usage, and there are places where I can't even that.

• Like 1

Because he can take another swipe at Sprint about their failed merger with MetroPCS. He is a dirty jack-wagon. But now, Tmo is the belle of the ball. What a buffoon.

Robert

He was speaking of Leap, not T-Mobile. Of course, I'd say that Leap is so poor in service quality that if Sprint bought them, it would almost be of a total and complete spectrum play. I don't know if it is a good idea for Sprint to be dealing in AWS spectrum unless the end game would be to make themselves more attractive as a merger partner for NewCo. Cricket is an extreme pile as it is, unfortunately.

As far as his early comments go, I'm sure someone as short-sighted as him didn't realize right away there's more convergence in the T-Mobile/MetroPCS network evolution paths than people think. Maybe someone whispered that in his ear. Remember people like him are their to serve clients. What amazes me is when journalists quote analysts with said conflict and don't let people know what the conflict of interests are. Moffett discloses them, but journalists don't? That's really pathetic for the journalists.

He was speaking of Leap, not T-Mobile. Of course, I'd say that Leap is so poor in service quality that if Sprint bought them, it would almost be of a total and complete spectrum play. I don't know if it is a good idea for Sprint to be dealing in AWS spectrum unless the end game would be to make themselves more attractive as a merger partner for NewCo. Cricket is an extreme pile as it is, unfortunately.

As far as his early comments go, I'm sure someone as short-sighted as him didn't realize right away there's more convergence in the T-Mobile/MetroPCS network evolution paths than people think. Maybe someone whispered that in his ear. Remember people like him are their to serve clients. What amazes me is when journalists quote analysts with said conflict and don't let people know what the conflict of interests are. Moffett discloses them, but journalists don't? That's really pathetic for the journalists.

The evolution path is pretty simple.

T-mobile is going to gradually shutdown MetroPCS and transition customers over to its network, then use MetroPCS spectrum assets for its own LTE transition.

T-mobile also gets listed on the stock exchange, and DT gets to spin them off and exit the US market.

T-mobile also gets listed on the stock exchange, and DT gets to spin them off and exit the US market.

If you want to consider DT owning 75% of NewCo as exiting the US market. Even though it's a reverse merger, it's still favoring DT in almost every-way.