Real world T-mobile LTE speed test - Chantilly, VA

danielholt

I filmed this morning on my way into office.

That's a big improvement over Tmo WCDMA upload speeds. Gotta like that.

Robert

• Like 1

Pretty much the same I get on Sprint LTE with a tower that has no problems (I get sub 1 mbps on some other towers).

Does that mean they are also using 5 x 5 MHz ?

I don't think so, I've been hitting 40/20's.... I think they are 10x10 in the DC area. Maybe tmo4gru.com will have more info?

13 - 1.png

photo.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think so, I've been hitting 40/20's.... I think they are 10x10 in the DC area. Maybe tmo4gru.com will have more info?

Sigh. I actually typed that in thinking there was a tmo4gru.com. I saw a truck coming South on I-35 today with about 12 T-Mobile LTE antennas. I've been shocked how much faster T-Mobile is rolling out LTE in Austin than Sprint. They have absolutely surpassed Sprint here in S. Austin even though Sensorly does not show it. I've been really impressed by T-Mobile's progress so far.

• Like 1

Sigh. I actually typed that in thinking there was a tmo4gru.com. I saw a truck coming South on I-35 today with about 12 T-Mobile LTE antennas. I've been shocked how much faster T-Mobile is rolling out LTE in Austin than Sprint. They have absolutely surpassed Sprint here in S. Austin even though Sensorly does not show it. I've been really impressed by T-Mobile's progress so far.

I'm not shocked at all. They have an entire WCDMA network with backhaul in place. All they are doing is adding LTE to their existing network. If they couldn't do that fast, that would be an epic failure. Sprint does not have their own high speed network and backhaul to piggy back on.

If you think about the Sprint Network Vision overhaul, it's the same scope of work as a new carrier starting service nationwide. All new switches/cores, all new backhaul, all new site equipment from top to bottom. The amount of work Sprint is doing in a short time is unprecedented and is 5x more work than what Tmo is doing right now. And that doesn't even count that Tmo LTE will end at the city limits for years, where Sprint is going nationwide. It's 3x more work than Verizon or AT&T is doing. And getting it done in 24-30 months nationwide is beyond amazing.

Comparing Tmo LTE deployment to Sprint Network Vision is nowhere near an apples to apples comparison.

Robert

• Like 7

Yeah DC is 2x10Mhz T-Mobile market. Baltimore is 2x5Mhz.

I'm not shocked at all. They have an entire WCDMA network with backhaul in place. All they are doing is adding LTE to their existing network. If they couldn't do that fast, that would be an epic failure. Sprint does not have their own high speed network and backhaul to piggy back on.

If you think about the Sprint Network Vision overhaul, it's the same scope of work as a new carrier starting service nationwide. All new switches/cores, all new backhaul, all new site equipment from top to bottom. The amount of work Sprint is doing in a short time is unprecedented and is 5x more work than what Tmo is doing right now. And that doesn't even count that Tmo LTE will end at the city limits for years, where Sprint is going nationwide. It's 3x more work than Verizon or AT&T is doing. And getting it done in 24-30 months nationwide is beyond amazing.

Comparing Tmo LTE deployment to Sprint Network Vision is nowhere near an apples to apples comparison.

Robert

Ever since joining this site I understand now that Sprint's Network Vision is very very ambitious and bold. And now, I want to stay for hopefully another 11 years...or until Sprint does away with unlimited data.

Judging by Daniel's LTE speeds and the spectrum situation in Raleigh-Durham, it looks like T-Mobile took DC-HSPA+ out of service in order to deploy 10 MHz FDD LTE. That is a pretty shoddy move on the part of T-Mobile, as it now leaves the W-CDMA users with one HSPA+ carrier in AWS and one HSPA+ in PCS -- the latter of which many of them cannot access because they have AWS only devices.

AJ

Wait, are Daniel's speed tests coming from Raleigh-Durham or Washington?

AJ

I honestly believe it will come down to geography. If you live in a metro area like dc a tmobile would work GREAT. if you travel a lot then Verizon would be good. I still don't know where I see Sprint fitting in.

Edited by danielholt

I honestly believe it will come down to geography. If you live in a metro area like dc a tmobile would work GREAT. if you travel a lot then Verizon would be good. I still don't know where I see Sprint fitting in.

I get people asking me a few times here and there if I have heard of Tmobile. My response is how many people do you know that have their service. The answer is always nobody.

Sent from my little Note2

"Ain't nothin' in the world like a big eyed girl,

Make me act so funny, spend my doggone money..."

AJ

I get people asking me a few times here and there if I have heard of Tmobile. My response is how many people do you know that have their service. The answer is always nobody.

Sent from my little Note2

I have a tmobile account, they sold me an unlimited data account for 60 bucks a month... it works well at my wake forest office w/ fauxG, works amazing at my chantilly office w/ LTE.... i've been with tmo since the black and white sidekick days (and modular addon camera).... tmo does not work well outside of town, which is the only disappointment for me.

Where T-Mobile works, it works great. I love having a secondary device on another network as a backup and novelty. But in rural areas, Sprint works great in most areas and even getting better.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Where T-Mobile works, it works great. I love having a secondary device on another network as a backup and novelty. But in rural areas, Sprint works great in most areas and even getting better.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Looks like T-mo has a strong presence in Albuquerque

Saw this today in my quest for due diligence in some other areas.

T-Mobile Customer Relations

P.O. Box 37380

Albuquerque, NM 87176-7380.

Looks like T-mo has a strong presence in Albuquerque

Saw this today in my quest for due diligence in some other areas.

T-Mobile Customer Relations

P.O. Box 37380

Albuquerque, NM 87176-7380.

So does Sprint. New Mexico is a great place to set up Customer Service Centers. About half of the population here are fluent English/Spanish speakers. It's the only place in the country that has a huge population of English speakers with little to no accent, but also speak Spanish fluently. Great for customer service.

Robert

So does Sprint. New Mexico is a great place to set up Customer Service Centers. About half of the population here are fluent English/Spanish speakers. It's the only place in the country that has a huge population of English speakers with little to no accent, but also speak Spanish fluently. Great for customer service.

Robert

I don't have an accent :P J/k everyone in Miami has an accent XD

-Luis

I don't have an accent :P J/k everyone in Miami has an accent XD

-Luis

hell, everytime i went to miami, >>I<< too had an accent. personally, i loved the burger king in south beach w/ the menu in spanish #ohbaxtor

"Ain't nothin' in the world like a big eyed girl,

Make me act so funny, spend my doggone money..."

AJ

"Oh baby, LTE is what I like!"

Robert