LTE is finally here, now what? (LTE uses)

All,

I've been following Sprint's NV in the Chicagoland area since early this year, and now that we're seeing LTE, the question comes to mind, "What now?".

More specifically, what are some good uses for LTE? I know that I've struggled with buffering with internet radio and videos, but are there practical uses that require more than a stable 2-3 mbps connection? Please help build a list of ways to make use of our new LTE connections.

YouTube HD video

Skype video calls

Internet radio (Slacker, Pandora, Spotify)

VoIP calls

Thanks

Will be rooted Note 2 or jail broken iphone 5 and tether, tether, tether to my ipad while im at work. I chew through the gigs while on wimax I can't wait to use unlimited LTE while watching slingbox, netflix and of course online gaming while working!

Will be rooted Note 2 or jail broken iphone 5 and tether, tether, tether to my ipad while im at work. I chew through the gigs while on wimax I can't wait to use unlimited LTE while watching slingbox, netflix and of course online gaming while working!

Does Sprint not offer an authorized tethering app for these devices?

If you tether unauthorized, I hope Sprint discovers it, makes you stop or terminates your service. Unauthorized tethering is a violation of the Sprint contract, and burns up bandwidth shared by honest paying customers.

• Like 7

Dish Remote App. Allows me to get into my DVR and watch my recorded shows or live TV. (I believe DirecTV has something similar.) Pretty much unusable on a burdened 3G connection.

SiriusXM - This is usually ok 3G but will probably never buffer on LTE.

LogMeIn - Sometimes can be painful to use on a burdened 3G connection. Should work excellent on LTE. I use this to remote into my work and home computers.

sprint offers hotspot for $30 for 5 gigs, right?

edit: nice got to member lvl digital. is there a chart to see what the s4gru tiers are for posting?

Yes. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/page/index.html/_/announcements/s4gru-member-ranks-and-groups-r20

With the new equipment Sprint will be able to easily detect unauthorized tethering. Which is a good thing IMHO, even though I would like to tether.

Just out of curiosity, how will they do this? Will they see multiple IPs on a connection or something? Historically, I thought they did it by seeing the amount of data the phone was pulling down, but with phones being able to run BitTorrent apps these days, I’m not sure how they could keep distinguishing that way.

Most phones don't call home to windows update.

Phones won't have full fledged pc style http request headers either. All about deep packet inspection.

Ssh or vpn tunnel anyone?

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Spite. Judging by some of the juvenile posters in this this thread, the best use of LTE data, copious amounts of LTE data is for spite.

AJ

• Like 1

If you tether unauthorized, I hope Sprint discovers it, makes you stop or terminates your service. Unauthorized tethering is a violation of the Sprint contract, and burns up bandwidth shared by honest paying customers.

Oh relax, I'm not going to hog up all the data. I am going to use the hell out of it though. iPad with Sprint LTE tethered phones = goodness.

Oh relax, I'm not going to hog up all the data. I am going to use the hell out of it though. iPad with Sprint LTE tethered phones = goodness.

As long as you are talking about authorized Sprint tethering, then you are good to go. If you are discussing unauthorized tethering, then you are in violation of our posting guidelines: http://s4gru.com/ind...-aka-the-rulez/

:rulez:

Illegal, Unethical or Violative Content. It is not permissible to post content that helps to encourage or facilitate the breaking of, or circumvention of, laws, statutes, Terms & Conditions of U.S. domestic governments, companies or organizations. Some examples would include instruction how to break the law, evade law enforcement or how to bypass wireless companies network management controls.

Robert

• Like 2

Yep, you can "use the hell out of it" right up to 2 GB or 6 GB when you pay an extra $19.99/mo or $49.99/mo, respectively, for a mobile hotspot plan. Otherwise, your use is clear abuse.

AJ

• Like 8

Yep, you can "use the hell out of it" right up to 2 GB or 6 GB when you pay an extra $19.99/mo or $49.99/mo, respectively, for a mobile hotspot plan. Otherwise, your use is clear abuse.

AJ

But... then why would he need to be rooted or jailbroken? And why is he talking like tethering is unlimited?

:angel:just me feigning innocence that's all

• Like 2

There probably isn't security or monitoring of any kind on LTE. In fact unactivated LTE phones will let you use it without paying.

:blink:

There probably isn't security or monitoring of any kind on LTE. In fact unactivated LTE phones will let you use it without paying.

:blink:

Didn't work for me on the GNex or LG Viper in the Waco FIT. I had to activate both to get them to work on LTE. Also, I have seen Sprint memos where they talk about cracking down on 3G and LTE unauthorized tethering.

You do know that AT&T will send a warning directly to a device in a notification when they detect unauthorized tethering, right? In the Sprint memo, it was discussing doing the same thing.

Robert