LTE is finally here, now what? (LTE uses)

And those people who support it are wrong. Authorized tethering comes with caps. They can use their data for whatever they want to up to their cap. Unauthorized tethering is not allowed and invites abuse of the network which will reduce performance for everyone.

Sprint is counting it can support smartphone unlimited data, but they cannot support unlimited tethering.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 2

And those people who support it are wrong. Authorized tethering comes with caps. They can use their data for whatever they want to up to their cap. Unauthorized tethering is not allowed and invites abuse of the network which will reduce performance for everyone.

Sprint is counting it can support smartphone unlimited data, but they cannot support unlimited tethering.

Of course am still right on that front. They are indeed pests.

I really like the idea of capped tethering and unlimited smartphone usage. After all, the only way to really abuse the network to such an extent is to tether it and use it as home internet (unless you're watching Netflix on your phone 24/7, which sucks). I'm hoping that Sprint will hold out for as long as they can without data caps, and this is probably the best way of doing so for everyone.

Am I the only one who thinks tethering is the temporary problem? Whats going to happen when everyone is streaming netflix to there TV at night through there phone to there tv Or what about someone who wants to download a large torrent? Crap, LTE is faster than my home internet so I'd be saving a ton of time grabbing that 5 Gig linux distro through my phones connection, and I'll get better quality on that netflix stream too.

Edited by userwhat

I really like the idea of capped tethering and unlimited smartphone usage. After all, the only way to really abuse the network to such an extent is to tether it and use it as home internet (unless you're watching Netflix on your phone 24/7, which sucks). I'm hoping that Sprint will hold out for as long as they can without data caps, and this is probably the best way of doing so for everyone.

Interesting post..maybe carriers should use GPS to prevent us from using the network while we are at home? That way we'd be force'd to use another connection and the network would still work great when we are mobile.

We are probably only a year or two away from being able to display netflix on our tv's through our phones wirelessly while also being able to play angry birds..

Edited by userwhat

Interesting post..maybe carriers should use GPS to prevent us from using the network while we are at home? That way we'd be force'd to use another connection and the network would still work great when we are mobile.

I think you're misunderstanding what I said, and I don't think I was clear. Sprint is never going to be able to offer completely unlimited data with unlimited tethering at a reasonable cost. However, I would rather have them keep unlimited mobile data and cap tethering plans than to have them cap everything like AT&T and Verizon are doing. And if you want to use Sprint as your home internet, then maybe there could be an expensive unlimited tier for tethering. And yes, I support offloading, but I think that we shouldn't have forced caps on everything, but it's difficult to offer unlimited tethering at a reasonable price. Another potential idea is to give a low free allowance of tethering for when you really need it, but otherwise just have am actual capped tiered tethering plan with unlimited mobile data. Hope that makes more sense.

I think you're misunderstanding what I said, and I don't think I was clear. Sprint is never going to be able to offer completely unlimited data with unlimited tethering at a reasonable cost. However, I would rather have them keep unlimited mobile data and cap tethering plans than to have them cap everything like AT&T and Verizon are doing. And if you want to use Sprint as your home internet, then maybe there could be an expensive unlimited tier for tethering. And yes, I support offloading, but I think that we shouldn't have forced caps on everything, but it's difficult to offer unlimited tethering at a reasonable price. Another potential idea is to give a low free allowance of tethering for when you really need it, but otherwise just have am actual capped tiered tethering plan with unlimited mobile data. Hope that makes more sense.

I understand what you're saying but I just don't think tethering is the problem as everyone thinks it is. The problem are activities that take up large amount of bandwidth and our mobile devices are going to be doing more of these things and putting more stress on the network than people who are tethering IMO, and the majority of this will take place when people are at home. I know many people who have no problem being at home without a wired internet connection as long as they can check there email and stream videos to there tv just using there phones.

I also wonder...will the sprint network be able to handle everyone streaming spotify or there favorite radio stations in there cars while there kids watch a show on hulu? I know more and more people doing activities like this. Verizon might have the right idea with there plans right now and its allowing them to Invest way more money in there network than providers like Sprint. I'm afraid we'll be playing catch up as people start doing more and more with there devices way before Sprint is ready for it.

Tethering is a problem. People who tend to unauthorized tether on the network tend do some very abusive things. It doesn't take many abusers per sector to ruin the experience for others.

Severe streaming is a problem too. Is it worse, or will be worse

• Like 1

I understand what you're saying but I just don't think tethering is the problem as everyone thinks it is. The problem are activities that take up large amount of bandwidth and our mobile devices are going to be doing more of these things and putting more stress on the network than people who are tethering IMO' date=' and the majority of this will take place when people are at home. I know many people who have no problem being at home without a wired internet connection as long as they can check there email and stream videos to there tv just using there phones.[/quote']

But tethering is the problem. At&t even said so in late 2010 when they started transferring everyone to data caps. As someone who has no home internet options, I was tethering from my iPhone when I needed a decent connection to the internet. I've done it on Sprint too when I really need it as a last resort. But tethering really is the problem. Streaming video may become the problem later down the road, but it isn't right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Paradigm 3.0 using Forum Runner

Also unauthorized tetherers do plenty of video streaming as well.

Sprint needs to crack down on these folks hard. Flat out block then and sent them to the page to purchase a tethering plan.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Sprint needs to crack down on these folks hard. Flat out block then and sent them to the page to purchase a tethering plan.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I support charging them per the MB when it is found. They could be the reason for the death of our unlimited plans. Sprints should also just plain end their service against the infringes.

I agree that tethering should be locked down, but I would like them to offer some sort of extremely limited amount of tethering, such as 250 or 500 mb a month, just for emergencies. I'm not sure if this would be too resource intensive, but I know that I would definitely appreciate it.

But tethering is the problem. At&t even said so in late 2010 when they started transferring everyone to data caps. As someone who has no home internet options, I was tethering from my iPhone when I needed a decent connection to the internet. I've done it on Sprint too when I really need it as a last resort. But tethering really is the problem. Streaming video may become the problem later down the road, but it isn't right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Paradigm 3.0 using Forum Runner

AT&T has agenda and has said lots of things that have been debunked. Tethering may be a problem (I still don't believe it), but we are starting to live in a postPC world. Our smartphones are almost capable of completely replacing the PC for many people. Everything you can do that might abuse the network can now be done on a smartphone. People can torrent from there cell phone, they watch videos, they can download large files. Really, there are very few reasons why anyone really needs to tether anymore.

You can block tethering but it will only lead people to doing the things they'd do from there PC to do them on computer. How many of us post on SG4U from our smartphones today vs what it would of been three years ago? In the end I think we'll see unlimited go away unless carriers start putting further restrictions on what kind of Apps we can use with unlimited.

Edited by userwhat

As I've said all along, I think Sprint postpaid's more likely to go the route of T-Mobile and the Sprint MVNOs: a generous "fair use" allowance (probably in the 10GB range) with throttling to 200-500kbit/s beyond the allowance. Really that would only substantially affect the people who refuse to offload to WiFi or use Sprint as their residential internet service in violation of the TOS.

AT&T has agenda and has said lots of things that have been debunked. Tethering may be a problem (I still don't believe it), but we are starting to live in a postPC world. Our smartphones are almost capable of completely replacing the PC for many people. Everything you can do that might abuse the network can now be done on a smartphone. People can torrent from there cell phone, they watch videos, they can download large files. Really, there are very few reasons why anyone really needs to tether anymore.

You can block tethering but it will only lead people to doing the things they'd do from there PC to do them on computer. How many of us post on SG4U from our smartphones today vs what it would of been three years ago? In the end I think we'll see unlimited go away unless carriers start putting further restrictions on what kind of Apps we can use with unlimited.

How can you say you don't believe it yet don't have any proof? Whereas att has done research and has the data to back it up. You do understand that the people using unauthorized are more likely to be using it as a home ISP. What part of someone using over 30 GB(a very conservative estimate) not effect network performance and degrade data service do you not understand?

AT&T has agenda and has said lots of things that have been debunked. Tethering may be a problem (I still don't believe it), but we are starting to live in a postPC world. Our smartphones are almost capable of completely replacing the PC for many people. Everything you can do that might abuse the network can now be done on a smartphone. People can torrent from there cell phone, they watch videos, they can download large files. Really, there are very few reasons why anyone really needs to tether anymore. You can block tethering but it will only lead people to doing the things they'd do from there PC to do them on computer. How many of us post on SG4U from our smartphones today vs what it would of been three years ago? In the end I think we'll see unlimited go away unless carriers start putting further restrictions on what kind of Apps we can use with unlimited.

One thing that wasn't debunked on at&t is the fact that I left at&t for Sprint due to them tacking on a new 2 year contract for no reason, and the whole tethering issue. I was in the top 20% of data users because I used my phone to tether. Since at&t wouldn't give me DSL, I was going to use my data for home internet.

They even sent out letters and emails to people right before they took their unlimited data plans away.

[Removed]

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Discussion of unauthorized tethering is prohibited.

I can respect the honesty, but please refrain from discussion of illegal activities, immoral activities or violations of the T&C's.

How can you say you don't believe it yet don't have any proof? Whereas att has done research and has the data to back it up. You do understand that the people using unauthorized are more likely to be using it as a home ISP. What part of someone using over 30 GB(a very conservative estimate) not effect network performance and degrade data service do you not understand?

It is just my opinion and I have yet to see any proof to say I'm wrong...can you source att's research?

The fact is that in 2011, the top 5% of users on att and verizon used on average less than 4GB / month , while the mean was around 3GB / month.

Maybe if everyone had there phone as an always on permanent internet connection replacing cable or dsl in there homes, constantanty connected to all the computers and xbox's in the house,..but I just don't see that happening very often.

I suspect that tethering is not done as often as we all think, and that it is done less and less each day. I'd also hypothesize that high bandwidth apps on phones are causing greater stress on Sprint's network than tethering today and they are more of what Sprint is concerned about than tethering. In fact - every post I've seen on the internet with someone using 30GB+ a month of data has stated they done so by streaming netflix/youtube/radio all day or downloading torrents all day through there phone..not yet by tethering.

If anything, Sprint should really raise all of our prices as the data connection on our phones is even more valuable and we can now do more through it than ever before.

Edited by userwhat

The thing is even if people stream to much or hammer the data network, if they are properly paying Sprint has more revenue to add more sectors and/or more bandwidth to each site, unauthorized tethering means more costs to them without the revenue or just let their network get hammered. I hate the fact I know a ton of Sprint customers that take advantage of deals Sprint employees give them, that they shouldn't get or ones that only root to tether.

It's already been stated Sprint can detect tethering so any loss revenue to them is something they are currently acceptable with. I'd hope they've done the math and came to the conclusion that the current policy currently benefits Sprint the most.

Sprint makes it difficult to tether. Apps required to do so are not on the market and you often need to be rooted. Again, I think unauthorized tethering is done much less than we all think.

Does anyone here really think that growth in data usage from the mobile connections is due to mostly tethering?

Edited by userwhat

People who unauthorized tether tend to be heavy users. It only takes a couple of these people per sector of a site to absolutely destroy the experience for everyone.

If they were tethering and just using Facebook, it wouldn't be a problem. That's why Sprint enacted caps on even authorized tethering. I have a VZW hotspot and if I just use it for casual browsing and S4GRU usage, I use 2-3GB per month. I once let my kids watch Netflix on it and it used almost 3GB in 90 minutes.

The problem is abusers. Abusers tend to abuse. Granted, smartphone streaming may end up being a long term problem too. But it is currently allowed. And Sprint will be able to sustain it for awhile if people only use it when actually mobile. Smartphone streaming using LTE in your home is irresponsible in my opinion when you have WiFi available. But that is a whole 'nother subject.

It is just my opinion and I have yet to see any proof to say I'm wrong...can you source att's research?

The fact is that in 2011, the top 5% of users on att and verizon used on average less than 4GB / month , while the mean was around 3GB / month.

Maybe if everyone had there phone as an always on permanent internet connection replacing cable or dsl in there homes, constantanty connected to all the computers and xbox's in the house,..but I just don't see that happening very often.

I suspect that tethering is not done as often as we all think, and that it is done less and less each day. I'd also hypothesize that high bandwidth apps on phones are causing greater stress on Sprint's network than tethering today and they are more of what Sprint is concerned about than tethering. In fact - every post I've seen on the internet with someone using 30GB+ a month of data has stated they done so by streaming netflix/youtube/radio all day or downloading torrents all day through there phone..not yet by tethering.

If anything, Sprint should really raise all of our prices as the data connection on our phones is even more valuable and we can now do more through it than ever before.

lol am sorry to laugh at you but your arguments are becoming comical. You admit your argument has no validity by saying its nothing more than your opinion. THEN, you go own to add even more unproven or fact based data based on your OPINION. You try to use reverse logic as if it makes sense. I could say their are other infinitely small universes inside my bowl of cereal this morning they are just to small to see. No one has proved me wrong otherwise so I must be right. However, thru all of that I think one of the funniest thing about your post is the fact that you say tethering is done less and less. Maybe you should go back to page 3 and 2 when YOU yourself say that as the capabilities of phones increase people will want to tether MORE.

But here is another thing to think about. Sprint is obviously not in a position to charge as much as the big 2 which is why the have unlimited now as a market strategy. Do you think if they could really afford to allow phones to tether an unlimited amount without network performance issues, wouldn't they do so? This would be a major marketing point just behind unlimited data.

Am sorry to tell you this but tethering is a problem for Sprint otherwise like Robert said they wouldn't be addressing it and trying to stop it.

However, thru all of that I think one of the funniest thing about your post is the fact that you say tethering is done less and less. Maybe you should go back to page 3 and 2 when YOU yourself say that as the capabilities of phones increase people will want to tether MORE.

When did I say people would want to tether more? I've been saying the entire opposite this entire time. Also. just because something is my opinion does not make it more right or wrong than anything you've said. You state things as fact yet are able to provide no sources to back it up. You talk like you know what you are talking about but the truth is your statements are actually just an opinion just like mine.

People who unauthorized tether tend to be heavy users. It only takes a couple of these people per sector of a site to absolutely destroy the experience for everyone.

If they were tethering and just using Facebook, it wouldn't be a problem. That's why Sprint enacted caps on even authorized tethering. I have a VZW hotspot and if I just use it for casual browsing and S4GRU usage, I use 2-3GB per month. I once let my kids watch Netflix on it and it used almost 3GB in 90 minutes.

The problem is abusers. Abusers tend to abuse. Granted, smartphone streaming may end up being a long term problem too. But it is currently allowed. And Sprint will be able to sustain it for awhile if people only use it when actually mobile. Smartphone streaming using LTE in your home is irresponsible in my opinion when you have WiFi available. But that is a whole 'nother subject.

Robert - how often do a couple of tether's destroy the experience for other users? How many Sprint customers are receiving poor experiences directly because of tethering at any given time? IF we could have some hard facts like this then we could talk about it being an issue.

Edited by userwhat