LTE is finally here, now what? (LTE uses)

Didn't work for me on the GNex or LG Viper in the Waco FIT. I had to activate both to get them to work on LTE. Also, I have seen Sprint memos where they talk about cracking down on 3G and LTE unauthorized tethering.

You do know that AT&T will send a warning directly to a device in a notification when they detect unauthorized tethering, right? In the Sprint memo, it was discussing doing the same thing.

Robert

It's interesting that it works in some places but not others. The person who posted the videos showing that strange occurence was in the Kansas City market so it probably isn't related to the vendor as Waco also uses erricson.

As far as my at&t tethering goes, I'm safe only because I found a way to avoid detection. My method has been thoroughly tested and I'm sure very very few other people use it. I have been detected before in the way I used to do it (on a 3gs that was jailbroken with the $30 unlimited plan) It is extremely easy to get detected doing that.

This is all going to be coming to a close though as my line with AT&T (sister) is getting ported to straight talk. I don't tether all that often anymore anyway. My only possible venture back into tethering would be what I mentioned in the off-topic forum that I assume was controversial as no one replied so I edited it out.

It's interesting that it works in some places but not others. The person who posted the videos showing that strange occurence was in the Kansas City market so it probably isn't related to the vendor as Waco also uses erricson.

As far as my at&t tethering goes, I'm safe only because I found a way to avoid detection. My method has been thoroughly tested and I'm sure very very few other people use it. I have been detected before in the way I used to do it (on a 3gs that was jailbroken with the $30 unlimited plan) It is extremely easy to get detected doing that.

This is all going to be coming to a close though as my line with AT&T (sister) is getting ported to straight talk. I don't tether all that often anymore anyway. My only possible venture back into tethering would be what I mentioned in the off-topic forum that I assume was controversial as no one replied so I edited it out.

There will probably be ways to defeat Sprint's detection of tethering too. And it won't be a problem either, unless you use some sort of stratospheric amount. Although the memo didn't mention this, I do believe they will start looking at really high usage account (maybe greater than 30GB or more) and do a quick usage review. If the types of usage appear to be more than smartphone usage and the account doesn't have a tether plan, I believe Sprint will start sending out letters.

Robert

There will probably be ways to defeat Sprint's detection of tethering too. And it won't be a problem either, unless you use some sort of stratospheric amount. Although the memo didn't mention this, I do believe they will start looking at really high usage account (maybe greater than 30GB or more) and do a quick usage review. If the types of usage appear to be more than smartphone usage and the account doesn't have a tether plan, I believe Sprint will start sending out letters.

Robert

I just found this out and for my wants it could solve my tethering problems

http://tinyurl.com/9re3unr

I'm going to wait for the lte version but it gives me the broadband tethering I need. If 500mb isn't enough I'll just buy another (still worth it long term).

sent from my 3VO from another EVO

Dish Remote App. Allows me to get into my DVR and watch my recorded shows or live TV. (I believe DirecTV has something similar.) Pretty much unusable on a burdened 3G connection.

SiriusXM - This is usually ok 3G but will probably never buffer on LTE.

LogMeIn - Sometimes can be painful to use on a burdened 3G connection. Should work excellent on LTE. I use this to remote into my work and home computers.

Dish Remote app works great on LTE...however, I wish they had better control over data rates...it likes to run at a full 4mbps on me...that will blow through data (and battery!) crazy fast.

There seems to be a choice of dialup (sd) and no holds barred!

My problem with the personal hotspot is the 20/month fee. I don't use it often enough to justify that. If they had a 5/month plan I might use it more. The three times I've needed it I added it to my plan, then took it off.

As a general rule you can always defeat deep packet inspection by using a VPN tunnel, and you can defeat tethering checks by using a proxy to make the traffic appear to come from the phone, but that's too much effort for me. The freedompop thing looks interesting but has the problem of requiring an extra device to be carried around with you and charged.

My problem with the personal hotspot is the 20/month fee. I don't use it often enough to justify that. If they had a 5/month plan I might use it more. The three times I've needed it I added it to my plan' date=' then took it off.

As a general rule you can always defeat deep packet inspection by using a VPN tunnel, and you can defeat tethering checks by using a proxy to make the traffic appear to come from the phone, but that's too much effort for me. The freedompop thing looks interesting but has the problem of requiring an extra device to be carried around with you and charged.[/quote']

Sprint's hotspot fee is pro rated. Only need it for a day here and there? Add the feature online and use it. Then take it off. You only get charged for the days you had it active on your plan. I started doing this instead of tethering when a member suggested it last Spring.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

But... then why would he need to be rooted or jailbroken? And why is he talking like tethering is unlimited?

:angel:just me feigning innocence that's all

There are other legitimate reasons for rooting/jailbreaking. Enthusiasts who want to get the maximum performance out of hteir devices by over/underclocking the CPU, apps like Titanium Backup for recovery and storage, modifying system files to remove the camera shutter sound, etc.

Illegitimate tethering is only one small piece of the pie. Let's not get like Comcast and start blocking/slowing down ALL bittorrent traffic because one use isn't legitimate, or AT&T who just don't care about anything but their bottom line, screw the consumer every time.

• Like 1

There are other legitimate reasons for rooting/jailbreaking. Enthusiasts who want to get the maximum performance out of hteir devices by over/underclocking the CPU, apps like Titanium Backup for recovery and storage, modifying system files to remove the camera shutter sound, etc.

Illegitimate tethering is only one small piece of the pie. Let's not get like Comcast and start blocking/slowing down ALL bittorrent traffic because one use isn't legitimate, or AT&T who just don't care about anything but their bottom line, screw the consumer every time.

Can't remember but I think I read somewhere that in a lot of places disabling the camera shutter is illegal or some one wants to make it illegal , sighting privacy concerns. Anyone that can expand on this.

Sprint policy is that the camera shutter sound cannot be turned off for privacy reasons so any subjects of a photograph, willing or unwilling, would know they were being photographed. This policy does not restrict users from installing other applications to add this functionality.

Oh, I've rooted (and installed various custom firmwares on) every Android-based device I've owned, and a few more. I was simply saying in my post, in a sarcastic manner, that he must be talking about non-Sprint-approved tethering, as regular tethering doesn't require rooting at all. And isn't unlimited.

Sprint's hotspot fee is pro rated. Only need it for a day here and there? Add the feature online and use it. Then take it off. You only get charged for the days you had it active on your plan. I started doing this instead of tethering when a member suggested it last Spring.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I can't even do that online my account cant be changed online and if I call in too much they might realize that I'm not a RadioShack employee anymore :-X

• 2 months later...

But... then why would he need to be rooted or jailbroken? And why is he talking like tethering is unlimited?

:angel:just me feigning innocence that's all

Just to be clear that I am not breaking the posting rules, the text that follows is based on fact, not my personal opinion.

Unauthorized (aka illegal) tethering requires rooting and uses your phones unlimited data plan, thus sending all its data through the same port that your phone usually would if you were using it for Internet. Authorized tethering by sprint uses a different port so they can track how much you use of it and does not require rooting. The penalty for illegal tethering is typically cancellation of the account.

Now for a question:

Would I be able to (without breaking any laws) use an app to project my phone's screen onto my computer and from there to my tv? When 4g gets out here my idea was to stream Netflix on the phone, but just show it elsewhere (for the obvious reason that my home Internet could be better). I don't see it as tethering technically, but I'd like the community's opinion

Just to be clear that I am not breaking the posting rules, the text that follows is based on fact, not my personal opinion.

Unauthorized (aka illegal) tethering requires rooting and uses your phones unlimited data plan, thus sending all its data through the same port that your phone usually would if you were using it for Internet. Authorized tethering by sprint uses a different port so they can track how much you use of it and does not require rooting. The penalty for illegal tethering is typically cancellation of the account.

Highlight next to the angel emote :P I already know that. For sure.

Now for a question:

Would I be able to (without breaking any laws) use an app to project my phone's screen onto my computer and from there to my tv? When 4g gets out here my idea was to stream Netflix on the phone, but just show it elsewhere (for the obvious reason that my home Internet could be better). I don't see it as tethering technically, but I'd like the community's opinion

Display Mirroring is not tethering, and doesn't break the ToS. Sprint actually advertises certain HDMI-out phones as well as things like AllShare Cast and MHL adapters. So, do it!

That being said, if you have WiFi available, might as well offload anyways.

• Like 2

I can't even do that online my account cant be changed online and if I call in too much they might realize that I'm not a RadioShack employee anymore :-X

This post basically says, "I have to cheat the system because if I call in too often, Sprint might realize that I am cheating the system another way, too."

What a great attitude.

AJ

• Like 1

What a condescending post.

I'm amazed by the irony of your response. Flabbergasted.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 2

The battle of tethering reminds me of when internet providers used to try to charge customers per computer on there home network. Does anyone remember this? First computer would be $X and each additional computer would be an additional $Y. Savvy users at the time would just buy their own router but some actually paid per computer.

I think in the end unlimited will have to come to an end as some users are doing over 100GB just streaming netflix to there tv through there phone. I for one would like to see more reasonable limits. 250MB is only enough for someone who doesn't know how to use their device and 5GB can easily be reached by streaming music and not by abusing the connection. I'd like to see 5GB limits increased to something more reasonable like 30-50GB or even 100GB. This would still feel like unlimited to many but would limit the abusers and allow them to pay more.

Alternatively, I'm also not opposed to throttling to just lesser 4G speed too.

Android also has tethering built into it and you can also enable it w/o rooting on some devices. I think they are already tracking it as I can see usage on my Sprint.com account but with no charges. Will be interesting to see what Sprint does.

Edited by userwhat

Can anyone that believes in "Free tethering" enlighting me on why you are so entitled to a service you do not pay for. Please tell me how a company should be forced to go along with what you define as acceptable usage. Without any regards to their bottom line, as if they are not in the business of making money.

Can anyone that believes in "Free tethering" enlighting me on why you are so entitled to a service you do not pay for. Please tell me how a company should be forced to go along with what you define as acceptable usage. Without any regards to their bottom line, as if they are not in the business of making money.

This is not necessarily my viewpoint but it is really simple. Many people pay for data and that feel they should be able to use that data however they want. As our phones are increasingly capable, the point of tethering will soon turn mute as we'll be able to just plug our phones into some laptopesque device and use it as any computer.

I wouldn't be surprised if sprint, verizon, att, etc.. will want to just start limiting what kinds of Apps we want to use on our phones depending on what plans we have. Think of different tiers of Internet. This is actually what the whole net neutrality argument revolves around too.

Edited by userwhat
  • Like 1

This is not necessarily my viewpoint but it is really simple. Many people pay for data and that feel they should be able to use that data however they want. As our phones are increasingly capable, the point of tethering will soon turn mute as we'll be able to just plug our phones into some laptopesque device and use it as any computer.

I wouldn't be surprised if sprint, verizon, att, etc.. will want to just start limiting what kinds of Apps we want to use on our phones depending on what plans we have. Think of different tiers of Internet. This is actually what the whole net neutrality argument revolves around too.

No, this is exactly your viewpoint otherwise you wouldn't agree. You mistake the purpose of Net Neutrality and the logistics of cell phone networks. First off, do you know what would happen to Sprint's network if just 1/4 of its subs use unauthorized tethering anytime they wanted? Even post NV we would be exactly where we are now maybe even worse considering NV has a lower threshold before a sector is overloaded. Also maybe you should take a closer look at the contract you signed or your term of service agreement.

I shall never understand where this entitlement comes from. You say " many people...feel they should be able to use that data however they want." It doesn't matter what they feel what matters is the agreements they sign. Your agreement says you may use as much data for your PHONE as you like not ANYTHING you like. If you don't like it then don't buy it or agree to the tos. Its not like everyone carrier has this policy. ATT and Verizon would be more than happy to add you to a mobile share or share everything plan.

Another point you make comes from Net Neutrality and honestly you kind of make my point but am not sure you see that. Net Neutrality( now named NN for short) is related to content. Its purpose is to ensure sites like Amazon can't pay an ISP to make its web page load faster than a mom n pop page, and for that I agree; BUT, this does not apply to what we are talking about. NN simply doesnt apply because sprint isnt restricting what you use your connection for. It restricts a capability on your phone not the internet itself. Now if you want to make an agreement on how companies shouldn't restrict anything on THEIR products then please do so. The point that really mutes NN is the fact that Sprint isnt an ISP and nor do they have any intention of becoming one because they don't have the network to support it. I was going to go into further detail but just looking at this post I think its long enough.

No, this is exactly your viewpoint otherwise you wouldn't agree. You mistake the purpose of Net Neutrality and the logistics of cell phone networks. First off, do you know what would happen to Sprint's network if just 1/4 of its subs use unauthorized tethering anytime they wanted? Even post NV we would be exactly where we are now maybe even worse considering NV has a lower threshold before a sector is overloaded. Also maybe you should take a closer look at the contract you signed or your term of service agreement.

I shall never understand where this entitlement comes from. You say " many people...feel they should be able to use that data however they want." It doesn't matter what they feel what matters is the agreements they sign. Your agreement says you may use as much data for your PHONE as you like not ANYTHING you like. If you don't like it then don't buy it or agree to the tos. Its not like everyone carrier has this policy. ATT and Verizon would be more than happy to add you to a mobile share or share everything plan.

Another point you make comes from Net Neutrality and honestly you kind of make my point but am not sure you see that. Net Neutrality( now named NN for short) is related to content. Its purpose is to ensure sites like Amazon can't pay an ISP to make its web page load faster than a mom n pop page, and for that I agree; BUT, this does not apply to what we are talking about. NN simply doesnt apply because sprint isnt restricting what you use your connection for. It restricts a capability on your phone not the internet itself. Now if you want to make an agreement on how companies shouldn't restrict anything on THEIR products then please do so. The point that really mutes NN is the fact that Sprint isnt an ISP and nor do they have any intention of becoming one because they don't have the network to support it. I was going to go into further detail but just looking at this post I think its long enough.

You don't know me so who are you to know if this is my viewpoint or not? When did I agree? Tethering is actually part of my plan so I'm not breaking the rules.

I'm explaining to you what many people think...you may not agree with it and you may be perfectly right but it doesn't change how people think. Also, the NN debate also covers what you said and much much more.

http://arstechnica.c...tethering-apps/

http://www.muninetworks.org/content/verizon-wireless-busted-violating-network-neutrality

Edited by userwhat

You don't know me so who are you to know if this is my viewpoint or not? When did I agree? Tethering is actually part of my plan so I'm not breaking the rules.

I'm explaining to you what many people think...you may not agree with it and you may be perfectly right but it doesn't change how people think. Also, the NN debate also covers what you said and much much more.

http://arstechnica.c...tethering-apps/

http://www.muninetwo...work-neutrality

I have to apologize( for saying you agree). I can get pretty combative at times. I reread your post with a clear mind and noticed that you didn't support it but just gave an explanation on why some people do.