Roaming with 4G

I thought this was interesting that I could roam and have a 4G connection?

Yeah...I had that happen in Ft. Worth at one point. Roam on 1x while on Sprint LTE.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

How is that possible i could see that on wimax but on LTE shouldn't he be in a Sprint 3G 1x coverage area

My Viper has been known to stay connected to Sprint 3G and roam on 1x. Couldn't access 3G data speeds, but the phone showed it was there.

Sometimes when you start roaming, it can be hard to get your device to go back to native. However, your LTE may start scanning and find something before your 1x does.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

You can be roaming on 1x and be on sprint EVDO. This is exactly how the PRL is designed.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Wow, the things I learn are invaluable. I figured it was a fluke.

• 1 month later...

This happened to me last week. I saw both the "Roaming" and "4G" icons in my status bar at the same time. I thought it must have been some kind of glitch, but there was some compelling evidence to the contrary.

For one, the “Phone info” menu stated that I was roaming:

8145374341_90ef9d090b_c.jpg

I also happened to be logging in Sensorly while it happened. It was the first time I had ever seen the phone record more 4G points than 2G and 3G points:

8145404740_880c0c67c4_c.jpg

This happened to me last week. I saw both the "Roaming" and "4G" icons in my status bar at the same time. I thought it must have been some kind of glitch, but there was some compelling evidence to the contrary.

For one, the “Phone info” menu stated that I was roaming:

You were simultaneously roaming on another carrier's CDMA1X network and connected to Sprint's LTE network. That can happen. But you were not roaming on another carrier's LTE network.

AJ

• Like 1

You were simultaneously roaming on another carrier's CDMA1X network and connected to Sprint's LTE network. That can happen. But you were not roaming on another carrier's LTE network.

AJ

Agreed, This has happened to me in Texas. I went over and checked the band and channel assignment and confirmed that I was on another network for 1x. I remained on Sprint LTE.

Robert

AJ

Holy crap dude... I just quoted a post you made in the other thread pointing you here! You beat me to it 1 minute before I got the chance to even direct you here! Someone's on their game...

Oh yeah, I know that these phone's can't roam on LTE, but I thought it was still strange that I was roaming on 1X while connected to LTE.

Holy crap dude... I just quoted a post you made in the other thread pointing you here! You beat me to it 1 minute before I got the chance to even direct you here! Someone's on their game...

Oh yeah, I know that these phone's can't roam on LTE, but I thought it was still strange that I was roaming on 1X while connected to LTE.

Not really strange. It can happen on 3g as well. Sprint designed the PRL to search for Sprint Evdo while connected to roaming 1x.

• Like 1

Not really strange. It can happen on 3g as well. Sprint designed the PRL to search for Sprint Evdo while connected to roaming 1x.

This happens frequently on the LG Viper, because its 1x reception usually runs 10dBm worse than the EVDO.

Robert

I had this happen last week in Chicago. Was inside a building and started roaming, made a call and then went by a window and the phone connected to LTE while roaming on US Cellular. The GS3 displays an R instead of the little triangle when connected to LTE and 1x roaming.

I had this happen last week in Chicago. Was inside a building and started roaming, made a call and then went by a window and the phone connected to LTE while roaming on US Cellular. The GS3 displays an R instead of the little triangle when connected to LTE and 1x roaming.

I had this same issue. Roaming when on Sprint EVDO shows a triangle, but roaming when on Sprint LTE shows a superscript R. Weird.

Robert

This happens frequently on the LG Viper, because its 1x reception usually runs 10dBm worse than the EVDO.

Must be that genuine "Qwalcom" chipset that LG used for the CDMA1X side...

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Could the Sprint voice be swamped and force someone into roaming... This thread just got me thinking...

I imagine it is very rare that voice is overloaded. But I don't believe Sprint would do this. From a financial point of view, that would cost them more money- roaming on Verizon is not free, and certainly not cheap for Sprint.

Yes, but if Sprint were at capacity... I would expect them to push them to another Sprint tower. I was just wondering if they had the means to technically hand them off to a roaming cell under these conditions. I know it would not be their choice, but if it were that or drop the call.... could they do it?