International roaming in Netherlands

Hi guys,

like the title says, I am travelling to the Netherlands and am curious about people's experience with the international roaming passes. 

Firstly, are they unlimited data, or are they limited with deprioritization?

Secondly, what are the speeds like?

I have asked around but have gotten mixed answers.

Thanks!

You get unlimited data at 2G speeds for free. You can buy high-speed data on a per-day or per-week basis. More info here:

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/global-roaming.html

Speeds depend on the international carrier's network/coverage. I've personally never had speed issues in Europe. 

On the plus side, data passes run at full LTE speed, and include unlimited tethering. On the downside, traffic is airpinned back through the US (so you get a few hundred ms higher latency) and the carrier Sprint has a partnership with in your area may not be the best carrier there (though for Belgium at least it actually is the primary AFAIK).

• Like 1

On the plus side, data passes run at full LTE speed, and include unlimited tethering. On the downside, traffic is airpinned back through the US (so you get a few hundred ms higher latency) and the carrier Sprint has a partnership with in your area may not be the best carrier there (though for Belgium at least it actually is the primary AFAIK).
You can sometimes force it to use a different carrier. It worked for me in January in Costa Rica, but I'm in Spain now and while Sprint has roaming agreements with all 4 carriers here, it will only use the biggest one (Movistar). I can auth onto the others, but as soon as data tries to pass it overrides the manual network selection, goes back to automatic, and switches to Movistar.

So they may have changed something recently, or it could just be country specific, but you can sometimes pick a different carrier. https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/international/international-roaming-partners.html#S

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, ingenium said:

You can sometimes force it to use a different carrier. It worked for me in January in Costa Rica, but I'm in Spain now and while Sprint has roaming agreements with all 4 carriers here, it will only use the biggest one (Movistar). I can auth onto the others, but as soon as data tries to pass it overrides the manual network selection, goes back to automatic, and switches to Movistar.

So they may have changed something recently, or it could just be country specific, but you can sometimes pick a different carrier. https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/international/international-roaming-partners.html#S

The setup appears to differ depending on the country. In Serbia I switched to the non-primary roaming partner Sprint has there, and it worked like a charm (manual network selection). I swapped back to the primary later, likewise with no issue. In Belgium I was locked to one network AFAIK; no other network would auth. In the UK I *think* I could only access one network basically the entire time, but oddly enough someone else here reported that they roamed on a completely different network. Odd...

The setup appears to differ depending on the country. In Serbia I switched to the non-primary roaming partner Sprint has there, and it worked like a charm (manual network selection). I swapped back to the primary later, likewise with no issue. In Belgium I was locked to one network AFAIK; no other network would auth. In the UK I *think* I could only access one network basically the entire time, but oddly enough someone else here reported that they roamed on a completely different network. Odd...

It could be region based, sort of like T-Mobile roaming. Or set that if it sees a certain network to always prefer it. I know Movistar is definitely a preferred partner is all countries, but I've roamed off of them before. Maybe in more rural areas there is more roaming flexibility. At least in Barcelona, Movistar does have a more dense network it seems, and has 50% of subscribers, so it's fine. I'm using an Orange SIM now, and despite 20+20+10 (sometimes 20+20+10+10) FDD CA, it feels congested often.