Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

Smith Bay here.. been following this crap since I moved here a year ago. Last couple weeks been awful for service. Dropped calls. No data. Constant roaming.. people I know on AT&T have the same issues. Heard a story bout someone cut a line and knocked the east end out for days.. I'm back now but very slow. Sprint did credit my account for the time out of service but I don't want that. I want truthful honest updates of progress and truthful honest estimations of when I should experience the 4g I've been paying for but not enjoying for over a year .. my phone has 4g in its name! Have yet to enjoy it at all... I truly appreciate this thread and the work put into it but there's got to be a way to figure out what is exactly being done and at what pace its being done at. Hundreds of dollars a month and I know nothing! I'm about to scream. If one worker or someone involved that actually gave a crap about us would blog or tweet the honest truth about our situation I'd be thrilled.. Gimmie my service and/or information!

i heard att got 4g on rock..i vex my bro doin 14mb downnn!!

Is that with lte or with hspa+?  You have to remember that att considers both to be 4g.  Also keep in mind that if this is true then this is something that can't be no more than a few weeks old.  ATT as well as every other service provider in the VI including sprint, innovative, choice all had the same issue which was lack of backhaul.  If att is getting those speeds now which is capable on both hspa+ and lte that means they just got their backhaul connected which will allow for those faster speeds.  If thats the case then sprint has to be right around the corner.

EDIT:  

I also have to add that for the last couple of years many att hspa+ capable phones will show 4g in the signal bar when connected to hspa+ but weren't actually gettting speeds to match at least not in the VI.  So it could show 4g but when you run a speed test you will be lucky to get 1.5 megs down under the most optimal conditions.

EDIT 2:

I don't follow att as much as I used to but they did announce a couple months ago that they will have the Virgin Islands covered in lte sometime over the summer.  

Now all you guys should know better, nothing works right in the VI...........nothing.  It will get here soon enough.

Now all you guys should know better, nothing works right in the VI...........nothing.  It will get here soon enough.

Exactly, not even the brains of the people who resident here work right(except me :)).

yea i dont think we're far behind...im waiting for a call back

The only thing thats is needed is getting the backhaul connected, but obviously they are running in to issues here and there.  I hope things get squared away though because I will be back in St. thomas next week for several weeks.

The only thing thats is needed is getting the backhaul connected, but obviously they are running in to issues here and there. I hope things get squared away though because I will be back in St. thomas next week for several weeks.

Yea that's wuts been said since February

Yea that's wuts been said since February

Now I know you have noticed all the fiber they been laying(and still laying) all over the island for the longest, everyone's backhaul and not just sprint is dependent upon that.  This is something that should have been done years ago but like we already know, when it comes to tech, the VI will always be last. 

Now I know you have noticed all the fiber they been laying(and still laying) all over the island for the longest, everyone's backhaul and not just sprint is dependent upon that. This is something that should have been done years ago but like we already know, when it comes to tech, the VI will always be last.

So we're waiting on the fiber optic?

So we're waiting on the fiber optic?

Well basically yeah thats what they been putting down all over the island which I am sure will run through puerto rico.  I mean look at any home or business internet option in the VI and speeds range from as low as 512kbps to maybe 5 meg down, that is simply pathetic and thats because there hasn't been any advancement in that area.  Puerto Rico, Vieques and Culebra are literally a stones throw away yet they been getting way better speeds for years now(both mobile data and home/business internet plans) and thats because their infrastructure is far more advanced than ours.  Thats why if you are using mobile data on sprint, att, choice or innovative, its slow as hell.  I know its frustrating and sprint is getting a lot of hear but it really isn't their fault, these issues are common place for all communication businesses there.

• Like 1