Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

Sprint is CDMA, and Tmobile & At&t are GSM. I really dont think the HTC One or the S4 support it. Its just like the iphone which has a sim card for LTE use. If there was any other carrier using the same 1900 LTE frequency as Sprint then you could probably unlock the phone put their sim in and have a LTE only phone. Unless you flash it to the other company. But no other companys support the same frequencys so I highly doubt it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The sprints version of the htc one and the gs4 are cdma devices yes but they both have a removable sim for lte.  If you remove the sim in either of your Sprint One or GS4 you won't be able to connect to sprints's lte service. Both these devices are also world phones so I can remove the sim card in my Sprint HTC One and put another carrier sim in it and the phone will work on that GSM network if the corresponding frequencies(for voice and 3g data) are supported.  Now obviously lte won't work on any other carrier but you will have voice services and basic data services.  It has already been reported over on xda that some users have already managed to get their Sprint One to work on tmobile.  No flashing to another company is required, once your sim is unlocked, you just put whatever sim in it and go.  Again though, service may not be as consistent but it does work.  The sim unlock process is a little different with the sprint version being that there is no way for you to enter a sim unlock code.  At one point sprint didn't even know how to unlock the phone, the steps that they took you through didn't work. Since then they have refined the process and now its working so to unlock your One you have to contact sprints international department.  This is meant for use when travelling overseas but some that have already gotten it unlocked were able to also get it work on tmobile.

If you have time read these, its pretty lengthy but has a lot of useful information:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2308572

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2243724

• Like 1

yeaaa my boy muff man on point today..ive been rooting for those guys even testing ****!..lol..but yea..i teared down thing htc one...all the radios are in the phone...sprint blocked a lot of them...the thing around here tho is out att here is 1900...same as lte frequency for sprint....and i saw them talkin about bringin 800...which probly wont make sense...cant go thru concrete walls..lolllllll..thats why they threw our 850..down here....anyway..sorry for strayin everybody away for a bit...back to sprint and this "forever process" of lte...im roamin right now

Service normal in stx, I just vex AT&T geh LTE before us

Yeah, you should have seen the look on my face last night when I was using my sisters ipad.  She was showing me something online and as I was reading I looked up and noticed the lte symbol, I was like WTF?!!!!!!!!!! My sister looked at me like I was crazy.  So I took her iphone 5 and ran a few speed tests off of it.

Also, in todays paper there is an article about some of sprints issues on the island which they are saying has been cause because of some equipment failures between here and PR. Not much else as far as details go though.

EDIT:  My 1700th post!!!!!

• Like 2

hahaha...well i see they got some sort of sim unlock goin!..im jumpin in on this ****..imma test once the guy say he is ready..hahaha...im on spending limit on sprint soo..i cant sim unlock thru them

Based on what has been discussed so far on xda(the same two threads a linked to a few posts up), I don't think there is any other way to sim unlock the Sprint One other than going through sprint themselves so if someone told you that they can then more than likely they are mistaken, trust me on this one.

the thing around here tho is out att here is 1900...same as lte frequency for sprint....and i saw them talkin about bringin 800...which probly wont make sense...cant go thru concrete walls..lolllllll..thats why they threw our 850..down here...

Not 100% sure what you're saying, but it's doubtful that AT&T is exclusively using 1900MHz to provide service there since they have 700MHz, cellular, PCS, AWS, and WCS spectrum there.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=43011770&postcount=293

look there bro..lolol..yo behind!!!..im next inline!!

I have been following that thread, the post you linked to is from a person who is in Croatia, they're not using a sprint One.  From what I have read so far it doesn't appear to me that anyone has gotten this to actually work on the sprint variant,  its still a work in progress(you are more than welcome to prove me wrong though).  Even though I don't post much on xda, I do spend a ridiculous amount of time there. 

Not 100% sure what you're saying, but it's doubtful that AT&T is exclusively using 1900MHz to provide service there since they have 700MHz, cellular, PCS, AWS, and WCS spectrum there.

the htc one for att..dont even support 700...only the tmobile.one...so u tellin me..the  tmo one will work..haha...while still sayin tmobile...hmm..i should look into this...and once he is rsady..ill test my phone with sim unlock..woot woot

doesnt say so here on att site..

If you knew what you were talking about, you would know that band 17 is Lower 700 MHz B and C blocks.

AJ

• Like 2

Also, in todays paper there is an article about some of sprints issues on the island which they are saying has been cause because of some equipment failures between here and PR. Not much else as far as details go though.

EDIT: My 1700th post!!!!!

Sounds like a problem connecting ton the Bayamon switch/core. It sure would have been nice if USVI had it's own MSC. Do you have a link to the article? I would love to read it.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

what does ur post have to do with me living in the vi with shitty everything bro?..lololol

My post has nothing to do with that.  It just corrects one of your many inaccurate assertions.

AJ

• Like 1

My post has nothing to do with that.  It just corrects one of your many inaccurate assertions.

AJ

then if it doesnt then go have a seat..the name of the thread is clearly named..."pr and virgin islands" for a reason..wecant compare to nobody in the mainland...dunno why ppl keep doing that..our technology here sucks!

then if it doesnt then go have a seat..the name of the thread is clearly named..."pr and virgin islands" for a reason..wecant compare to nobody in the mainland...dunno why ppl keep doing that..our technology here sucks!

I am a contributing author and adjunct moderator here at S4GRU.  I can go wherever I please, including this thread.

No matter the topic of the thread, if you post erroneous information, it needs to be corrected.  You do not seem to be equipped with the knowledge to correct yourself, so someone else has to do it.  And that is where I come in.

AJ

• Like 5

OK...since people want to hear it from the horse's mouth...here is the backhaul plan at USVI Sprint sites from the Sprint Playbook from May 2012.

Master backhaul for USVI sites is provided by an AAV vendor in USVI. It is not coming from Puerto Rico. That AAV vendor likely is connected to fiber to one of the underwater fiber connections from the islands to the Bayamon switch/core.

Only about 1/3 of the USVI sites are connected with AAV backhaul. The rest are microwave connected to one of the AAV sites. So every USVI site has microwave. Either they receive backhaul via microwave from a donor site with AAV, or they have AAV and provide backhaul to a recipient site via microwave.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Robert any idea whom the AAV is in the VI? I believe the VI was not a part of the national bidding process Sprint put out at the start of Network Vision...

Everyone else needs to remember what the topic of this for forum is. If you don't recall this topic is about the "Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market". If you want to bicker and argue go elsewhere. If you want to add something about the NV rollout in this market, post on.

-Eliezer P

Posted from my LG Optimus G.

Robert any idea whom the AAV is in the VI? I believe the VI was not a part of the national bidding process Sprint put out at the start of Network Vision...

Everyone else needs to remember what the topic of this for forum is. If you don't recall this topic is about the "Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market". If you want to bicker and argue go elsewhere. If you want to add something about the NV rollout in this market, post on.

-Eliezer P

Posted from my LG Optimus G.

The documents I have on the USVI are from May 2012, and the backhaul vendor was not contracted at that time.  So I do not know who the successful bidder was or when it actually was bid.  I just know the plan from that time.

Robert

Not sure if I answered what you where talking about, I understand less than 1/4 of what you write!

Yeah, same, I guess that's the intended goal when you write like you're a pre-teen and you add lolol at the end of every other sentence tho... But it's getting kinda tiring, pretty detrimental to the thread IMO.

On-topic, LTE around the San Patricio area is still pretty hit-or-miss... Seems like sometimes my EVO LTE will connect immediately at some spots and not at all in other occasions.

Edited by Impulse
  • Like 2