Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

It's my understanding that some of the backhaul is complete, but they will bring up each island as a whole when all the sites are ready.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for the update, hopefully everything gets turned on soon.  At the PR sprint press event they mentioned that the VI market will get turned on in June so hopefully everything is still on track for that.

• Like 1

Voice and data has been virtually non existent today, I am in the havensight/yatchhaven grande area.

Anyone had issues last night in St.thomas?  From about 10pm to about 1am I had no coverage at all, I had to force roam both my devices(anna's retreat/ old tutu area).  

Hopefully this info is helpful to someone on the VI.

I am now on day 3 of no one being able to call my phone.  Phone rings, I can hear them but they can't hear me.  They only hear an echo of their own voice.

Long story short - Sprint in Puerto Rico tried to force my phone to use another tower via an update but that seems to not have worked yesterday.  Today I called again and they said they are still working on the towers and still may not be done as of tomorrow.

What I really wish was I would have known about calling Puerto Rico first instead of wasting my time with standard Sprint Tech support.  The number for Carib Care is 877-859-9696.  At least they could tell me what was going on instead of being told there are no issues in my area.

2 weeks ago I did take a picture of them working on the tower close to my house - above the armoury.  They were only up there for 1 day and I have not seen them since.

It's an extremely frustrating trying to conduct business when no one can call you on your main line.

Anyone had issues last night in St.thomas?  From about 10pm to about 1am I had no coverage at all, I had to force roam both my devices(anna's retreat/ old tutu area).  

Interesting. Since I'm guessing that VZW isn't there, who is Sprint's roaming partner(s) in the USVI?

Interesting. Since I'm guessing that VZW isn't there, who is Sprint's roaming partner(s) in the USVI?

Probably one of the local carriers, maybe innovative or choice communications I would assume.  Well I head back to atlanta in a few days so I won't have to deal with this any longer.  First though, I will be in St. Croix over the weekend hopefully things aren't as bad there.

• Like 1

Hopefully this info is helpful to someone on the VI.

I am now on day 3 of no one being able to call my phone.  Phone rings, I can hear them but they can't hear me.  They only hear an echo of their own voice.

Long story short - Sprint in Puerto Rico tried to force my phone to use another tower via an update but that seems to not have worked yesterday.  Today I called again and they said they are still working on the towers and still may not be done as of tomorrow.

What I really wish was I would have known about calling Puerto Rico first instead of wasting my time with standard Sprint Tech support.  The number for Carib Care is 877-859-9696.  At least they could tell me what was going on instead of being told there are no issues in my area.

2 weeks ago I did take a picture of them working on the tower close to my house - above the armoury.  They were only up there for 1 day and I have not seen them since.

It's an extremely frustrating trying to conduct business when no one can call you on your main line.

Where are you talking about exactly?

Probably one of the local carriers, maybe innovative or choice communications I would assume.  

It must be Choice as the devices on Innovative's website appear to be GSM. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

My issues are on the East End and at Tutu today.  I didn't get any calls when I was in town yesterday.

Not sure how things are out west but in town its basically the same as what you are experiencing.  

It's my understanding that some of the backhaul is complete, but they will bring up each island as a whole when all the sites are ready.

Question, when installing backhaul, can this cause the types of interruptions we are seeing on the island?

Here is the pic of the tower (the tower on the right with 2 guys on it) being worked on 2 weeks ago.  You can't see it in the picture but there is a big spindle of cable to the right of the tower.

May 23rd I took this pic.

Innovative is 100% GSM...I use them for prepaid.

post-18799-0-24657200-1370545149_thumb.jpg

Edited by buecker
  • Like 1

Here is the pic of the tower (the tower on the right with 2 guys on it) being worked on 2 weeks ago.  You can't see it in the picture but there is a big spindle of cable to the right of the tower.

May 23rd I took this pic.

Innovative is 100% GSM...I use them for prepaid.

From that pic, it looks like this is just west of IEKHS and the armoury going west towards the various marinas, if thats what this is then thats definitely not a sprint tower.  The sprint tower in that area is actually located in redhook on the hill right across the street from the redhook dock.

From that pic, it looks like this is just west of IEKHS and the armoury going west towards the various marinas, if thats what this is then thats definitely not a sprint tower.  The sprint tower in that area is actually located in redhook on the hill right across the street from the redhook dock.

If you are driving past the armoury heading away from red hook it does look like it is West but in fact it is directly due North of the High School.  I guess Choice must own it then.

i just did a speed test and i got 2mb down after days of strugglin..im east end also..the bars are blazing thru the roof! too....yesterday at this house..i had 1 bar and was roaming ..so something is happening i guess

Edited by D-Relo Pondebass
  • Like 1

If you are driving past the armoury heading away from red hook it does look like it is West but in fact it is directly due North of the High School.  I guess Choice must own it then.

Not sure who else it could be I just know where all the sprint ones are located for sure.

Question, when installing backhaul, can this cause the types of interruptions we are seeing on the island?

The actual backhaul install in and of itself would probably not cause a very long shut down. However, if they are working on provisioning and feasting the LTE or working on the switch/core for the USVI sites after the backhaul work is completed, that could effect things.

It is also possible that they switched over to new backhaul, but it's not configured correctly to the switch/core and these could be causing the issues. There's no way to say without more info. However, to read that someone came back to really fast speeds is a good indicator of backhaul upgrades.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

The actual backhaul install in and of itself would probably not cause a very long shut down. However, if they are working on provisioning and feasting the LTE or working on the switch/core for the USVI sites after the backhaul work is completed, that could effect things.

It is also possible that they switched over to new backhaul, but it's not configured correctly to the switch/core and these could be causing the issues. There's no way to say without more info. However, to read that someone came back to really fast speeds is a good indicator of backhaul upgrades.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for the clarification, this info is very helpful.

My peak speeds I get at certain hours havent increased but I get peak speeds more often through the day than before, so I don't have to wait till 6am to watch movies, I can watch it anytime(except during the daily slow down hours in my area which is 8pm to 11pm)

Edited by Austrie