Network Vision/LTE - Philadelphia Metro Market (including Lehigh Valley/Reading)

HappyHappy

All towers even legacy towers should have 3g already.  You must be in a fringe area or roaming or something.  Don't get me wrong I'm not saying legacy 3g is great and you can still get 1980's speeds or worse with legacy 3g sites but every sprint tower supports 3g.

Not all of Sprint's network is EVDO. The old iPCS areas were 1x. Regardless, western PA was also all 1x and recently got EVDO upgrades so they will convert these areas.

Are 1xRTT towers ever going to get at least 3g?

All towers even legacy towers should have 3g already.  You must be in a fringe area or roaming or something.

Well, CDMA1X is "3G," so both of you mean EV-DO.  And, yes, some rural sites in iPCS affiliate markets never got the EV-DO overlay.  Parts of Nebraska and Pennsylvania are the two areas that immediately come to mind.  With Network Vision, those sites will go directly from CDMA1X only to CDMA1X/EV-DO/LTE.

AJ

Not all of Sprint's network is EVDO. The old iPCS areas were 1x.

While iPCS did drag its feet on EV-DO, it was just a few areas that were left CDMA1X only.  Seemingly, most iPCS legacy sites did get EV-DO before Sprint acquired iPCS.

AJ

Are 1xRTT towers ever going to get at least 3g? Anything above I-78 west of Allentown (Jim Thorpe, Hazleton, Pottsville) is horribly slow, and always has been. Not sure what market they are, but just curious if it'll be 1980's speed data forever.

Just to clarify, all three towns listed are part of the Central Pennsylvania Market. As a sponsor you can see the breakdown of the different PA markets here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/705-network-vision-site-map-pennsylvania-markets/

Looking at Sensorly it appears that most of Hazelton, PA has 3G now.

Not much has happened in the Lehigh Valley lately. Maybe 1 or 2 sites in the past two weeks. I've been in areas where, according to the maps, there are several adjacent live LTE sites and it doesn't seem as seamless as I thought it would be. But I guess I shouldn't expect that until the area is at least announced as launched.

• 2 weeks later...

Has the philadelphia market upgrades stalled? I haven't noticed any improvements over the last month or more. And not much is being said. Also the % completion hasn't changed on the forum for a long time.

Over the last 30 days the Philadelphia Metro market has had 62 4G and 34 3G acceptances. I am not sure that is stalled.

As for the completion percentage, it probably won't be updated until Robert has completed his move.

Has the philadelphia market upgrades stalled? I haven't noticed any improvements over the last month or more. And not much is being said. Also the % completion hasn't changed on the forum for a long time.

The market is having the most updates it ever has. Seeing as you're a member, you should be looking at the Completion Map and not the running list.

The market is having the most updates it ever has. Seeing as you're a member, you should be looking at the Completion Map and not the running list.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll check out the completion map.

Picking up 800 1x on some towers in Southern Chester County.

I was also picking up a 800 signal from a Hazleton tower when I was nearby a couple of weeks ago.

Testing or a solid 800 signals?

West Grove is solid since yesterday morning.  Spent a few hours in Hockessin yesterday, I was picking up 800 off a Landenberg tower,  That was solid while I was there.

The one in Hazleton.  I don't know.  I wasn't actually in Hazleton, just nearby.  It was a reach and I had to switch my prl so I could use a closer tower.

• Like 1

West Grove is solid since yesterday morning.  Spent a few hours in Hockessin yesterday, I was picking up 800 off a Landenberg tower,  That was solid while I was there.

The one in Hazleton.  I don't know.  I wasn't actually in Hazleton, just nearby.  It was a reach and I had to switch my prl so I could use a closer tower.

It seems like they are doing a lot of work on 800 in the Mid-Atlantic markets recently.

Got my first taste of LTE in Reading today, specifically the Wyomissing area. I'm assuming they're just in the preliminary testing phase, but the connection was remarkably stable all afternoon. So far I am pleasantly encouraged.

Got my first taste of LTE in Reading today, specifically the Wyomissing area. I'm assuming they're just in the preliminary testing phase, but the connection was remarkably stable all afternoon. So far I am pleasantly encouraged.

I seen this to. I tried to map with sensorly except my GPS was not working on my phone so i mapped nothing. I was over near the Crown Plaza hotel. Hopefully this will be turn on soon.

I'm happy to report that as of last night, Ardmore went live. I'm in Wynnewood, and am getting some pretty decent speeds (~8-12mbps) and I took LTE readings up Lancaster Avenue. Ardmore was in the 3-4mbps range, and then it faded into 3G by Ardmore Avenue. No more LTE from there on up, though I didn't get any further west than Wayne.

I get consistently inconsistent results in Ardmore. Along Lancaster Ave sometimes I get 4G, sometimes not.  I've been watching closely between Cricket Ave/Station Rd and Wynnewood Plaza (Peace a Pizza to Panera Bread).  May have learned today that if you'r emoving it's slower to switch from 3G to 4G, 

After looking at the Sensorly maps, I watched as I drove through Narberth on Montgomery Ave today. Pulled into the Staples parking lot and had only 3g. But after about two minutes it switched to 4G, did a few speedtests and saw 18-23 down/8-10 up.  Driving west, lost 4G at McClenaghan Mill Rd.

Whoever is gathering the results for the Sensorly maps gets better results than I do. 

Some time in the past week Sprint turned on expanded 4G coverage in Ardmore, in and around Suburban Square and along Montgomey Ave.  Prior to this I got spotty 4G coverage on Lancaster Ave only, now there's a strong 4G signal all over Suburban Square.

Did a speed test while sitting in Corner Bakery today and got 25 Mb down and 12 Mb up.  Where I work durign the week it's about 16 down and 8 up. I'm impressed, especially so since their plain voice signals had gone from full five bars and crystal clear to non-existant to mid range for the past three months. 

By my house LTE is still spotty, a mile up the road I get it everywhere. I do believe there are a lot of towers near me but it seems only a few have been upgraded. Though honestly I would prefer 1x800 over LTE at my house that's what WiFi is for.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Read a police report today about some "copper bus bars" stolen from a Sprint site on Route 100 in Lowhill Township (about 5 miles north of Fogelsville).  That's what they called it in the article.  What exactly are they??  It said they were unbolted and removed.

Also, I drove by the site on Route 863 in Lynn Township that's supposed to be 4G accepted twice and neither time I got my phone to connect to LTE... hm...

Read a police report today about some "copper bus bars" stolen from a Sprint site on Route 100 in Lowhill Township (about 5 miles north of Fogelsville).  That's what they called it in the article.  What exactly are they??  It said they were unbolted and removed.

Also, I drove by the site on Route 863 in Lynn Township that's supposed to be 4G accepted twice and neither time I got my phone to connect to LTE... hm...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busbar

• 2 weeks later...