Network Vision/LTE - Western & Central Pennsylvania Markets (Lancaster, Scranton, Erie, State College, Williamsport)

jeremyandrew

Great find, think it is the first find in the market!

There are several more in the area. I will be visiting ay least 6 sites in and around state college today.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

There are several more in the area. I will be visiting ay least 6 sites in and around state college today.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome post what your find!

Sent from my EVO LTE using Forum Runner

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea when any of these sites will be up and testing. I assume they'll have LTE as soon as they are flipped on?

At this time, I don't believe we have that information. However, if the market follows that pattern of other markets, you will likely only see 3G improvements for several weeks, up to a couple of month before LTE starts to go live on the upgraded sites. However, once a site has had 3G improvements, it is a fairly quick process to bring up LTE.

Any idea when any of these sites will be up and testing. I assume they'll have LTE as soon as they are flipped on?

Many of the sites in western and central PA will not initially have LTE as they are ground mounted. The city of Pittsburgh will, but it will be one of the last clusters completed. Now don't be dismayed, every site will have EVDO and sufficient backhaul for it to be very useable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Many of the sites in western and central PA will not initially have LTE as they are ground mounted. The city of Pittsburgh will, but it will be one of the last clusters completed. Now don't be dismayed, every site will have EVDO and sufficient backhaul for it to be very useable.

I completely forgot when I first read this that many of these sites didn't even have EVDO prior to this so that is very good news. Always annoyed me that pretty much the full length of I80 was 1XRTT.

Shentel even has a ground mounted site with LTE live in Mont Alto, PA using legacy panels and ground mount RRU's. Works quite well.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

You'd think they'd be chomping at the bit to get the upgrade finished and in-place. Verizon's had LTE in State College for 2.5 years and AT&T just flipped on LTE in State College last week. I can see what's coming but I must admit as a Sprint customer its getting rather hard to get excited about a company that always seems to be bringing up the rear but then again as of now there isn't even a Sprint Store in town either. The one at the mall went under after Christmas. Want service you have to drive to Altoona. Seems silly to me. I wonder if these guys are taking this market seriously.

You'd think they'd be chomping at the bit to get the upgrade finished and in-place. Verizon's had LTE in State College for 2.5 years and AT&T just flipped on LTE in State College last week. I can see what's coming but I must admit as a Sprint customer its getting rather hard to get excited about a company that always seems to be bringing up the rear but then again as of now there isn't even a Sprint Store in town either. The one at the mall went under after Christmas. Want service you have to drive to Altoona. Seems silly to me. I wonder if these guys are taking this market seriously.

I think for the most part that sprint has been doing quite a good job at deploying LTE across the nation. Maybe not the fastest deployment Ive seen, but for a carrier who had the first "4G" network in the U.S(WIMAX), which really set sprint back a few steps, since LTE was being adopted by other carriers and WIMAX didnt seem like it could compete, and even after the whole WIMAX mess, sprint got back up and picked up momentum once again with their new LTE network. Give them time, and im sure you wont be dissappointed in what sprint does within the next year.

You'd think they'd be chomping at the bit to get the upgrade finished and in-place. Verizon's had LTE in State College for 2.5 years and AT&T just flipped on LTE in State College last week.

You can bet they are chomping at the bit. They want this to go as fast as possible, but an infrastructure overhaul of this scale take time, no matter how fast you think it should go. There are always unforeseen problems, as we have seen lately. If you take a look at the article that Robert posted on the wall today, you can see that Sprint is really wanting this project to go quickly, and they are doing everything they can to make that happen.

I think for the most part that sprint has been doing quite a good job at deploying LTE across the nation. Maybe not the fastest deployment Ive seen,

I challenge you to find another network of Sprint's scale that has committed to overhauling their entire network in just over 2 years. The difference is Sprint is allowing connections to each tower as it is complete, whereas other carriers wait until the entire region is complete before launching, which makes it seem like their rollout is quicker.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

FYI - migrations are starting for Western PA later this month

I am still fairly new to this and i know this is a stupid question to ask.. What exactly is a migration? I think i have an idea but im not sure if im correct or not.

I am still fairly new to this and i know this is a stupid question to ask.. What exactly is a migration? I think i have an idea but im not sure if im correct or not.

When you change from the legacy equipment to the new equipment, hence the name.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, the first few clusters in Western PA are live. They are in Western ans South Eastern Erie county, Warren county, Bradford county and Allegany County Maryland(it's considered part of western PA)

• Like 1

FYI, the first few clusters in Western PA are live. They are in Western ans South Eastern Erie county, Warren county, Bradford county and Allegany County Maryland(it's considered part of western PA)

Thanks for the info. Allegany county, Md sure needed all the help possible. That is a very very hard area to cover properly due to the mountains. Do you know if the 800 service is operational yet?? If not, do you know the reason why it is not being activated locally??

They sure need 800 more than most areas. I hope this is not ground mount installs as they need the boost of top mount RRU's too.

Thanks for the info. Allegany county, Md sure needed all the help possible. That is a very very hard area to cover properly due to the mountains. Do you know if the 800 service is operational yet?? If not, do you know the reason why it is not being activated locally??

They sure need 800 more than most areas. I hope this is not ground mount installs as they need the boost of top mount RRU's too.

All of the western pa market is GMO.

Are you sure they are broadcasting? I had my brother check for 3g in fairview last weekend without success.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Are you sure they are broadcasting? I had my brother check for 3g in fairview last weekend without success.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I'm positive of it, had to troubleshoot one of them yesterday. DO isn't available just yet, still waiting on additional backhaul, but it should be here shortly.