Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

But when they hit the top end of XLTE capacity, and that bogs... Yeah, good luck with that Big Red.

It's already started here in NYC. In some parts of Brooklyn, XLTE is running at only 20Mbps as opposed to the 50Mbps I saw when it first launched. Of course 20Mbps is still better than what most Sprint users see on average, but the speeds dropped to less than half of what is was less than a year ago.

• Like 1

It's already started here in NYC. In some parts of Brooklyn, XLTE is running at only 20Mbps as opposed to the 50Mbps I saw when it first launched. Of course 20Mbps is still better than what most Sprint users see on average, but the speeds dropped to less than half of what is was less than a year ago.

Our VZW Band 4 "XLTE" here in Western South Dakota has dropped to 15-25 Mbps.  It's only 15MHz channels here, though.  But it started at 40-50Mbps last Fall.  But it is doing its job.  700MHz had dropped to 1-3Mbps before the additional band.  And with the 'XLTE' relief band, now the 700MHZ runs around 4-7Mbps.

But since the speeds of XLTE are steadily dropping, it makes me wonder about VZW options beyond Band 4.  Refarming some Cellular and PCS is next.  But they will be lucky to get 5-10MHz channels out of that.  They aren't going to be able to do 15-20MHz channels like they are doing in Band 4.  VZW's best LTE days are now.  Their speeds are going to drop and Sprint's are going up with B41.  It's about to become a much more competitive market regarding LTE performance.

Robert

• Like 5

Our VZW Band 4 "XLTE" here in Western South Dakota has dropped to 15-25 Mbps. It's only 15MHz channels here, though. But it started at 40-50Mbps last Fall. But it is doing its job. 700MHz had dropped to 1-3Mbps before the additional band. And with the 'XLTE' relief band, now the 700MHZ runs around 4-7Mbps.

But since the speeds of XLTE are steadily dropping, it makes me wonder about VZW options beyond Band 4. Refarming some Cellular and PCS is next. But they will be lucky to get 5-10MHz channels out of that. They aren't going to be able to do 15-20MHz channels like they are doing in Band 4. VZW's best LTE days are now. Their speeds are going to drop and Sprint's are going up with B41. It's about to become a much more competitive market regarding LTE performance.

Robert

I'll take "buy Dish Network". And no, I don't believe what Lowell McAdam says about not buying Dish. Bells copy each other, thought it would be strange to see Lowell copying Randall. In the Ivan Seidenberg days, it was usually AT&T copying off what VZW did.

I'll take "buy Dish Network". And no, I don't believe what Lowell McAdam says about not buying Dish. Bells copy each other, thought it would be strange to see Lowell copying Randall. In the Ivan Seidenberg days, it was usually AT&T copying off what VZW did.

Verizon has a debt load of $116B (at least it had when the vodafone transaction concluded). I don't know that they can afford another purchase until they can get that debt down. Dish won't come cheap. They can afford to buy some of Dish's spectrum however.

Verizon has a debt load of $116B (at least it had when the vodafone transaction concluded). I don't know that they can afford another purchase until they can get that debt down. Dish won't come cheap. They can afford to buy some of Dish's spectrum however.

VZW is wildly profitable. They will pay down the Vodafone debt load with or without Dish. I think this purchase makes sense for them as long as they can kick Ergen to the curb.

IIRC, Nokia is starting it's B41 rollout sometime in July when the new 8T8R panels become available. B41 is already pretty dense in Downtown Jax using old Clearwire Sites.

Is sprint and Nokia coming out and replacing the old clear equipment with the new 88ers or are they going to collocate on existing sprint sites that has no b41 at all then go back later on and swap out clear equipment?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yes they are but they had to increase their annual common stock dividend to $9B.

Is sprint and Nokia coming out and replacing the old clear equipment with the new 88ers or are they going to collocate on existing sprint sites that has no b41 at all then go back later on and swap out clear equipment?

Sent from my Nexus 5

The dual mode Clear equipment that is already broadcasting B41 LTE will probably be there for a while. In most cases, it probably (in my opinion) won't be replaced until the 8T8R equipment has been deployed on other sites.  

• Like 1

B26 on my shiny new LG G3 in South San Marco at the Metro Diner.

yma3u7ym.jpg

8umu6e9y.jpg

Love me some TriBand.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Have you connected to b41 yet?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Have you connected to b41 yet?

I get B41 at my condo in San Marco. I get about -108-110dBm downstairs and 90-100dBm upstairs. Because of my strong B26 and B25 signal here, I'm usually stuck between B25 and B26, though.

My B41 speeds are decent here. I'm seeing over 20mbps most of the time.

• Like 1

I get B41 at my condo in San Marco. I get about -108-110dBm downstairs and 90-100dBm upstairs. Because of my strong B26 and B25 signal here, I'm usually stuck between B25 and B26, though.

My B41 speeds are decent here. I'm seeing over 20mbps most of the time.

How's the coverage on b41? I don't pick it up as much because I'm running an older nexus modem for coverage the newer modem tends to not pick up LTE as much.

Sent from my Nexus 5

How's the coverage on b41? I don't pick it up as much because I'm running an older nexus modem for coverage the newer modem tends to not pick up LTE as much.

Sent from my Nexus 5

It's hard to say at this point. I get stuck on B26 most of the time with B25 a close second. I've only seen B41 pop-up a few time on it's own without cycling my connection.

I haven't altered my scan preferences yet as I'm not sure how to do it on the G3. I only know of one dialer code (##debug#) so far.

Just got my first taste of 800mhz CDMA here at my condo.

I noticed that HD voice calls to my wife's iPhone 5c won't initiate unless I'm on 1x800. Has anybody else experienced this?

6abu5yne.jpg

No usually if my wife and I both are on an upgraded site we have HD calls. She has a iPhone 5s and I have a nexus 5. This was before we started connecting to 1x 800.

Sent from my Nexus 5

No usually if my wife and I both are on an upgraded site we have HD calls. She has a iPhone 5s and I have a nexus 5. This was before we started connecting to 1x 800.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Both phones are sitting next to each other. It's possible that one phone is connected to a different site than the other, but all of the sites around here are upgraded to NV1.0. HD voice seems hit-or-miss, although it sounds amazing when it works.

Is HD voice supposed to work via WiFi calling?

Both phones are sitting next to each other. It's possible that one phone is connected to a different site than the other, but all of the sites around here are upgraded to NV1.0. HD voice seems hit-or-miss, although it sounds amazing when it works.

Is HD voice supposed to work via WiFi calling?

I'm not sure my wife and I doesn't have WiFi calling

The tower on Betty Holzendorf Dr off Kernan Blvd on UNF campus has a tower with NV panels. I know it's on the maps but I don't have access anymore. Co-worker has iPhone 5S and gets LTE on sprint....i just have a 5. I can't recall reading anywhere here where B26 is active before B25? I get about one or two dots 3G where I sit in the building...my co worker..gets almost all dots or less one one LTE. I'm jealous.

Edited by Faction

Just talked to a tower person fixing a broke tmobile sector he straight bashed Sprint said they are the worst in Orlando and Jax compared to the competition I said what Sprint phone do you have and he said a iPhone 5. I said of course Sprint will suck without a triband device. He said at&t and Sprint is the hardest to do upgrades for. I asked why and he said because it's Ericssons ruu setup and panels suck. He said Sprints Samsung equipment is much better. Tmobile already uses Nokia in these areas and he said there equipment is great. He told me to expect band 41 8r8 deployment by the 3rd quarter though.

• Like 1

That's very broad. What makes them suck? I thought sprint was getting better and better in Jacksonville from what I heard... I know Orlando has a little bit of a way to go, but I wouldn't say sprint sucks here. That and Tmobile has "wideband LTE" deployed here in Orlando. Of course they're going to be faster...for now.

He also doesn't have the luxury of b26. So, really a very biased opinion based on the fact that he has a phone that can't even utilize a network he is currently working on installing. Not surprised to hear that Sprint's upgrades are the hardest, because they involve the most work.

• Like 2

It isn't exactly a secret that most workers prefer working on Samsung and Nokia equipment compar d to alcatel-lucent and Ericsson...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just talked to a tower person fixing a broke tmobile sector he straight bashed Sprint said they are the worst in Orlando and Jax compared to the competition I said what Sprint phone do you have and he said a iPhone 5. I said of course Sprint will suck without a triband device. He said at&t and Sprint is the hardest to do upgrades for. I asked why and he said because it's Ericssons ruu setup and panels suck. He said Sprints Samsung equipment is much better. Tmobile already uses Nokia in these areas and he said there equipment is great. He told me to expect band 41 8r8 deployment by the 3rd quarter though.

Well honestly, he sounds like an idiot or a liar. Sprint is beating the other three in just about every metric right now, in Jax. I'm constantly making my ATT and Verizon friends' service look bad, especially now that I have a triband phone. Plus, I actually have devices that run on those other networks so I know first-hand how Sprint compares. TMO is a total joke here, BTW. They might be somewhat fast, but only if you can actually get an LTE signal. Their coverage is crap for data and voice. I've said this before: Every person I know that switched to TMO hates it. Literally every single one. A lot of them switched back, some have decided to stick it out due to money.

Moving on now.

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking the guy doesn't seem educated enough. He was impressed by how much I knew though. I guessaybe we take this network upgrade thing to seriously. He reminded me of a rep that only knew half of what he was talking about yet they have him installing equipment

Well honestly, he sounds like an idiot or a liar. Sprint is beating the other three in just about every metric right now, in Jax. I'm constantly making my ATT and Verizon friends' service look bad, especially now that I have a triband phone. Plus, I actually have devices that run on those other networks so I know first-hand how Sprint compares. TMO is a total joke here, BTW. They might be somewhat fast, but only if you can actually get an LTE signal. Their coverage is crap for data and voice. I've said this before: Every person I know that switched to TMO hates it. Literally every single one. A lot of them switched back, some have decided to stick it out due to money.

Moving on now.

I'm always amazed how little tower crews know about networks and bands, etc. If you think about it, most tower crews didn't work in the business prior to the LTE boom and they have been given very specific training in what they do. Everything beyond this very narrow trianing, they pretty much have as much understanding as the average citizen.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

That's what I was thinking the guy doesn't seem educated enough. He was impressed by how much I knew though. I guessaybe we take this network upgrade thing to seriously. He reminded me of a rep that only knew half of what he was talking about yet they have him installing equipment

It's no wonder some of these installs get screwed up; doesn't surprise me in the least. This guy obviously has zero clue about what's really going on, because he's trying to tell you Sprint sucks on his iPhone 5 and he's not smart enough to realize he needs a triband phone to totally take advantage of the network (a network that he's supposedly worked on).

With that said, I had great service on my single-band iPhone 5. Was it as good as my triband G3? Of course not. But I had B25 in most places and it was decently fast and always usable. My lowly iPhone 5 still got better service than the TMO subs around here. With triband, TMO doesn't even come close.

• Like 4