Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

I'm still debating myself. I have until next Saturday until I can exchange my EVO for an S3. I like my Evo so I'm leaning more towards keeping it, since what I'm seeing with the S3 isn't worth the $40 difference I'd have to pay at Best Buy. I do still wonder about that extra gig of RAM and if I'll miss it within the next couple of years.

And Deval, good seeing you on here :-)

I'm still debating myself. I have until next Saturday until I can exchange my EVO for an S3. I like my Evo so I'm leaning more towards keeping it, since what I'm seeing with the S3 isn't worth the $40 difference I'd have to pay at Best Buy. I do still wonder about that extra gig of RAM and if I'll miss it within the next couple of years.

And Deval, good seeing you on here :-)

By that time, would it be safe to say you would be able to use your upgrade again? so then you wouldnt miss it

So I went to the tasting room (to put it fancily) at Coors today, an area notorious for being a cell signal black hole, at least for T-Mobile and Sprint.

My Epic had a hard time staying connected to the cell network there, and would flip to roaming/no signal. The GSIII did some of the same thing, but I was able to place a clear call from within the room, send/receive text messages and even update my GMail without too much of an issue, depending on where I was standing.

So, subjectively, I won't say that the phone is a significant improvement RF-wise over the Epic (I didn't have the Epic with me as well to test). But I think it was at least a marginal improvement.

What's funny is that there is a cell site just a couple blocks away from the brewery (810 East Street). My phone is bouncing between that site and one closer to me right now. I guess brewing equipment...and Coors' building...make for excellent 1900MHz blockers.

So I went to the tasting room (to put it fancily) at Coors today' date=' an area notorious for being a cell signal black hole, at least for T-Mobile and Sprint.

My Epic had a hard time staying connected to the cell network there, and would flip to roaming/no signal. The GSIII did some of the same thing, but I was able to place a clear call from within the room, send/receive text messages and even update my GMail without too much of an issue, depending on where I was standing.

So, subjectively, I won't say that the phone is a significant improvement RF-wise over the Epic (I didn't have the Epic with me as well to test). But I think it was at least a marginal improvement.

What's funny is that there is a cell site just a couple blocks away from the brewery (810 East Street). My phone is bouncing between that site and one closer to me right now. I guess brewing equipment...and Coors' building...make for excellent 1900MHz blockers.[/quote']

And cell signal makes delicious beer

Sent from my Jelly Bean Toro using Forum Runner

Ok I got mine and so far it's not to far off of signal reception from my Photon -DBM wise. I bearly get a signal in my house but i can make calls as with the Photon. They at this point are real close in signal strength the Photon, and the GSIII. The photon being a bit stronger no question about it signal wise. I checked -dbm's in many areas and they are close. Wierd that in the Sprint store location it had -57 dbm while my Photon hads a -65 dbm while the EVO 4G LTE had a -79dbm.

So far I love the feel and look of pebble blue. The screen is way better than the Photon. Some times the signal when low swithes between cdma a or b or 1xrt:6....whats that 1Xrt:6.

The fact that all of my Google settings were saved on my SD from the Photon when I signed into Goggle it started down loading all apps. I had 40% battery, and when the down loads were complete I was almost out of juice. The back of the phone gets hot when down loading it seems.

As Aaron from Phone dog says the way that you can get the pull down screen to show wifi blue tooth, and air plane mode for control is great

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

I've had to stop using the Sprint Connections Optimizer. If I have it on and drive away from WiFi at my home, office, church...anywhere...about half the time it will not connect to data services on the macro network when I get out of WiFi range.

No 1x, no 3G. Nothing. Cycling through mobile network on/off, airplane mode and rebooting will not restore mobile data connectivity. However, in about 15 minutes it will finally come back on its own.

I disabled the Sprint Connection Optimizer and haven't had the problem since. I can break with WiFi now and it goes right to 3G data.

Anyone else notice this with the GS-III?

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I've had to stop using the Sprint Connections Optimizer. If I have it on and drive away from WiFi at my home' date=' office, church...anywhere...about half the time it will not connect to data services on the macro network when I get out of WiFi range.

No 1x, no 3G. Nothing. Cycling through mobile network on/off, airplane mode and rebooting will not restore mobile data connectivity. However, in about 15 minutes it will finally come back on its own.

I disabled the Sprint Connection Optimizer and haven't had the problem since. I can break with WiFi now and it goes right to 3G data.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner[/quote']

Haven't had those particular issues, though I have had instances where I could swear WiFi was turned off before but magically turned on sometime afterward. Going to disable the optimizer to see whether that fixes the issue, since if I know I'm not going to be in an area with WiFi I don't want to waste energy looking for it.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII-32GB using Forum Runner

I have issues where it wont reconnect to a remembered network. For example....I walk to get the mail...lose connection...walk back to the house...3G has taken over....wifi is still on....wont reconnect. I have to turn wifi off, then back on again to reconnect. Sometimes have to forget the network and let the phone rediscover it all over again.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

I've had to stop using the Sprint Connections Optimizer. If I have it on and drive away from WiFi at my home, office, church...anywhere...about half the time it will not connect to data services on the macro network when I get out of WiFi range.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I don't have the GSIII, but my OG Evo got the update with the connection optimizer in it the other day and I experienced the exact same symptoms. Turned it off, and all has been well for the last day or so.

Has anyone received the LF9 software update? Do you know what it fixes?

Yes, and no. I do know that, after the firmware update and a Google Wallet update, Wallet started working for me...which it didn't when I got the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII-32GB using Forum Runner

I hate being an employee when it comes to new phones, I'll say it again :(

That being said, I'm actually on the fence on what device to go with. I have 2 rebates that are unused, one which I'm holding off for the new iPhone, and the other, well, it depends on what's coming out. I have an EVO LTE at work that I've been playing around with, and can't seem to put it down, but I want to see the GS3 in person.

That girl on the phone said the same thing about having to wait on a phone. I called to see if I could buy out my upgrade a month early, she told me there was no option for that. But she wanted to get the S3 also, but she had to wait 6 months

Well I just placed an order for an S3 from Bestbuy since my upgrade kicked in 01JUL12. Here's to hoping for a quick turn around. I got a chance to play with the EVO LTE in the Sprint store a bit, but figured I'd get the S3 and see how it was. I can always return it for the EVO since they seem to be in abundance.

So far the main difference between the EVO LTE and SSGS3 is the screen, especially outside, EVO wins

I don't notice any difference in quality in screen at all. However, that may be my older eyes. I do notice a difference outside, unless I take the auto bright off and crank it up. It's easy to read in my Gazebo, though, outside of direct sunlight.

Robert

• Like 1

manual prl update...whenever you feel like.......

NO MSL REQUIRED!!!

CDMA workshop IS NOT Required!!

Step 1) DOWNLOAD THE PRL OF YOUR CHOICE

Step 2) rename the prl as TEST.prl (TEST needs to be in caps i think)

Step 3)place on the root of your SD card.

Step 4) Go to Phone and do ##data#

Step 5)SELECT VIEW (not edit!)

YOU WILL SEE a PRL Write area,

(Step 6) Click PRL Write

Step 7) Click PRL Write (again)

Your phone will now reboot and use that prl you placed on the root of your SD CARD. ENJOY

• Like 1

manual prl update...whenever you feel like.......

NO MSL REQUIRED!!!

CDMA workshop IS NOT Required!!

Step 1) DOWNLOAD THE PRL OF YOUR CHOICE

Step 2) rename the prl as TEST.prl (TEST needs to be in caps i think)

Step 3)place on the root of your SD card.

Step 4) Go to Phone and do ##data#

Step 5)SELECT VIEW (not edit!)

YOU WILL SEE a PRL Write area,

(Step 6) Click PRL Write

Step 7) Click PRL Write (again)

Your phone will now reboot and use that prl you placed on the root of your SD CARD. ENJOY

I guess you haven't seen my posts about this around the forums. :)

Robert

• Like 1

I'm noticing an improving battery life in my GS-III. Maybe a 25% improvement in life after 6 days?

Robert

• Like 1