Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

That looks like a nice phone. Just promise not to complain next year about the lack of carrier aggregation, B4/12 roaming, or domestic carrier unlocking if you get it :)

Wait the GS5 sport can't be unlocked?  But the regular GS5 can?  I was planning on unlocking the device and popping in a local SIM if/when I travel internationally.

And OK I won't complain about the phone not having carrier aggregation, I will just buy a new phone if I feel I really need it like a normal person.

Wait the GS5 sport can't be unlocked?  But the regular GS5 can?  I was planning on unlocking the device and popping in a local SIM if/when I travel internationally.

And OK I won't complain about the phone not having carrier aggregation, I will just buy a new phone if I feel I really need it like a normal person.

Domestic unlocking will only be guaranteed for phones that launch after February 2015. All of the phones that Sprint sells with a removable UICC have a GSM/W-CDMA radio and can be unlocked for international use. I am sure that it is technically possible for current handsets to be unlocked for domestic GSM/W-CDMA networks, but you basically have to hack the phone to do so- Sprint won't do it for you. The Nexus 5 is your only option if you want that degree of flexibility today.

Domestic unlocking will only be guaranteed for phones that launch after February 2015. All of the phones that Sprint sells with a removable UICC have a GSM/W-CDMA radio and can be unlocked for international use. I am sure that it is technically possible for current handsets to be unlocked for domestic GSM/W-CDMA networks, but you basically have to hack the phone to do so- Sprint won't do it for you. The Nexus 5 is your only option if you want that degree of flexibility today.

Got you, I see the GS5 sport supports:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900   CDMA 800 / 1900 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

So I assume if I unlock the phone and travel to Brazil where they use GSM I can pop in a local carriers micro-sim and get service.  Thats really all I am looking for, I know there won't be LTE support internationally or on other domestic carriers.

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900   CDMA 800 / 1900 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

So I assume if I unlock the phone and travel to Brazil where they use GSM I can pop in a local carriers micro-sim and get service.  Thats really all I am looking for, I know there won't be LTE support internationally or on other domestic carriers.

Yes, that should work.

Don't forget that sprint has wi-fi calling now too, so you can use your phone over seas to call phone over wi-fi for free :)

• Like 1

Don't forget that sprint has wi-fi calling now too, so you can use your phone over seas to call phone over wi-fi for free :)

Have they enabled international use yet? I thought I read it was only domestic until further notice.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Have they enabled international use yet? I thought I read it was only domestic until further notice.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Am I able to make calls from international locations with Wi-Fi Calling?

Wi-Fi Calling supports calling from 200+ countries / territories. Wi-Fi Calling is not supported in select countries including:  Australia, China, Cuba, North Korea, India, Iran, Singapore, Sudan and Syria.  Sprint Subscribers are not authorized to use the service in countries where Wi-Fi Calling is prohibited by law. http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_WiFi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91f67

• Like 2

Just cuz Im a rockstar I am going to Argentina and Uruguay too!! I see the networks are very similar in terms of technology and frequency. Good for me.

If they refused to unlock your phone .a cheap moto E or G ($119/159) GSM international will do the job,plus a good backup phone

Just cuz Im a rockstar I am going to Argentina and Uruguay too!! I see the networks are very similar in terms of technology and frequency. Good for me.

If they refused to unlock your phone .a cheap moto E or G ($119/159) GSM international will do the job,plus a good backup phone

I have a crappy iPhone4 unlocked from ATT with a nice cracked screen, still works though.  I have used this as my intl backup phone in the past, but I really want just one device I can unlock and pop in an intl sim when I am abroad. 

I have a crappy iPhone4 unlocked from ATT with a nice cracked screen, still works though. I have used this as my intl backup phone in the past, but I really want just one device I can unlock and pop in an intl sim when I am abroad.

I still think a nexus 5 is your best bet. Other than the lack of expandable storage. Just get the 32gb, and cloud storage the rest of your stuff. This way, you can sample triband Sprint in Chicago, or go to tmo/AT&T prepaid or postpaid at will. It's cheap, too.

Sent from my iPhone 6

I still think a nexus 5 is your best bet. Other than the lack of expandable storage. Just get the 32gb, and cloud storage the rest of your stuff. This way, you can sample triband Sprint in Chicago, or go to tmo/AT&T prepaid or postpaid at will. It's cheap, too.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Says the dude trying to sell me his Nexus5.  I like the phone a lot, its got the carrier and band flexibility i need, but I told you the no expandable storage is a deal breaker for me.  I have 32GB of music alone I like to keep on my phone for all my coast to coast and long intl flights and such. 

Says the dude trying to sell me his Nexus5. I like the phone a lot, its got the carrier and band flexibility i need, but I told you the no expandable storage is a deal breaker for me. I have 32GB of music alone I like to keep on my phone for all my coast to coast and long intl flights and such.

I sold the phone months ago. Probably right after you said no. My post wasn't sales pressure. It's simply the only phone that would let you freely switch between Sprint/gsm/international gsm without any hoops to jump through. I'm just throwing ideas out there because you're still not set on a provider.

Sent from my iPhone 6

I sold the phone months ago. Probably right after you said no. My post wasn't sales pressure. It's simply the only phone that would let you freely switch between Sprint/gsm/international gsm without any hoops to jump through. I'm just throwing ideas out there because you're still not set on a provider.

I know man I was giving you $hit.  I am still enamored with the GS5 Sport.

They are starting to turn on b41 8t8r spark sites in Chicago!! A good time to start thinking about upgrading your membership to have access the maps in Premier section. For the premier members feel free to click the link in my signature and fellow the new map that Tommy, David, Kyle and I have started. Also If you can't upgrade due to money or things going on. But want to help out, feel free to message me your scp logs. Anything helps :)

• Like 3

They are starting to turn on b41 8t8r spark sites in Chicago!! A good time to start thinking about upgrading your membership to have access the maps in Premier section. For the premier members feel free to click the link in my signature and fellow the new map that Tommy, David, Kyle and I have started. Also If you can't upgrade due to money or things going on. But want to help out, feel free to message me your scp logs. Anything helps :)

I didn't even know there was a premier map for 8t8r sites?  Did I miss this?  I know we have been struggling with updates to B41 maps, but this is huge.  Def worth the $$ for Chicago ppl.

• Like 1

I didn't even know there was a premier map for 8t8r sites? Did I miss this? I know we have been struggling with updates to B41 maps, but this is huge. Def worth the $$ for Chicago ppl.

Robert said there is a major update coming sometime soon for b41 sites and b26. In the tens of thousands!

Sent from my iPhone 6 on Crapatalk

• Like 1

I didn't even know there was a premier map for 8t8r sites?  Did I miss this?  I know we have been struggling with updates to B41 maps, but this is huge.  Def worth the $$ for Chicago ppl.

David started building the map on Monday, so it is really new. I realized that some people may not know about it and I know a lot check in here also. It is way over due, I have had thought it would be cool to do this for awhile. I am glad others did as well, now happy to be helping and be working together up with some really great guys on this. It could even turn out to be better looking then Columbus map :D

• Like 1

The camaraderie in these forums are like no other anywhere on the Internet. People willing to assist other markets with their map building is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Actually makes you realized, there are still some good people out in this world still :D

• Like 1