Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Can you elaborate on this ATT halted work you speak of?

http://wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#DirecTV

http://wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#capex_freeze

http://wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#Westower (Might actually have to search for this one as the Westower anchor appears to be missing. Search for June 26, 2014.)

http://wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#fat (Might actually have to search for this one as the fat anchor appears to be missing. Search for July 29, 2014.)

http://wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#DirecTV

http://wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#capex_freeze

http://wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#Westower (Might actually have to search for this one as the Westower anchor appears to be missing. Search for June 26, 2014.)

http://wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm#fat (Might actually have to search for this one as the fat anchor appears to be missing. Search for July 29, 2014.)

Wow ATT  :td: .  Feel bad for those getting laid off because of ATTs actions.

• Like 1

Hi everyone. I have a small question. I spoke to a executive analyst in the regulatory services department. I was told I would be given the option to option out of my contract early with no etf. Do you guys think I should take it? I told the person I would get back to them by early next week..

Hi everyone. I have a small question. I spoke to a executive analyst in the regulatory services department. I was told I would be given the option to option out of my contract early with no etf. Do you guys think I should take it? I told the person I would get back to them by early next week..

Why do you want out? If you have found another, better, less expensive plan (Sprint or someone else), by all means you should move to it.  Otherwise, it is not clear what you are trying to do.

Why do you want out? If you have found another, better, less expensive plan (Sprint or someone else), by all means you should move to it. Otherwise, it is not clear what you are trying to do.

I guess I feel as if sprint has had MORE than enough time to fix it's network and it's still not up to par.. Band 26, just came online about 2 months ago, and I'm still having reception issues at places with this new band that's supposed to help fix things. I have an iPhone 5c.. So the radios in my phone are strong.. Sprints network is apparently not living up to the hype... I find new charges in the bill that make the service not worth the price..

• Like 1

I guess I feel as if sprint has had MORE than enough time to fix it's network and it's still not up to par.. Band 26, just came online about 2 months ago, and I'm still having reception issues at places with this new band that's supposed to help fix things. I have an iPhone 5c.. So the radios in my phone are strong.. Sprints network is apparently not living up to the hype... I find new charges in the bill that make the service not worth the price..

I am not trying to convince you to stay with Sprint, as you must do what is personally best for you.  My wife has a 5C, and it seems to pick 1x800 voice sometimes, but I have never seen it on B26.  I recently bought a Samsung GS5, and also have had a Zing hotspot for about a year, and have picked up B26 over much of the area on both devices.  For whatever reason (and I don't have a clue what that reason might be), I think that the 5C is just not tuned correctly to easily switch from B25 to B26, even where B25 has lousy reception.  My GS5 will be happily humming away on B26 while right next to it, her 5C is barely holding on to B25.

I am not knowledgeable about iPhones or LTE coverage on other carriers in Chicagoland, so cannot suggest what your experience on any of them might be.  I'm also not sure where in the area you live/travel.  In the ultra-far Northwest where I am, B26 ceases to exist from Algonquin and Crystal Lake anywhere further north or west.  In much of the rest of Chicagoland, B26 (and the 2nd B25 carrier from the US Cellular spectrum acquisition) have been reported to be quite strong in many places.

Hope that was helpful.

• Like 1

The problem for me is, I have really only seen my phones get switched over to band 26 for capacity once, maybe twice, and that was months ago. I'm thoroughly convinced Sprint plans on not enabling that band for capacity in the Chicagoland area because we have two band 25 carriers, or they're taking their sweet time with it. I'm always being bounced around both band 25 carriers while sitting still, so I know that's a capacity switchover. I'm pretty sure Chicago is Sprint's #1 market as far as subscribers, and they really need all three 5x5's humming along perfectly asap to keep up with the demand in this market. Also, I'm noticing less and less band 41 everyday, and I'm not sure why. Maybe they're turning off clear sites so that they can do a mass clear/8t8r turn on? Who knows.

• Like 1

I am not going to tell you to stay with sprint neither, yet as premier member you know they aren't even totally done with band 26. Also that they haven't even turned up the power all the way on the 800 sites yet. I have a feeling when they do, it will be great. You know sprint's network is going to be one of the best networks around in a few months. But again, do what is best for you.

If it doesn't meet your needs, then go. Period. We certainly won't be trying to get you to stay. We neither sell or advocate Sprint service. But Sprint service in Chicago is not bad anymore. But if you want something else, then give it a try.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

The problem for me is, I have really only seen my phones get switched over to band 26 for capacity once, maybe twice, and that was months ago. I'm thoroughly convinced Sprint plans on not enabling that band for capacity in the Chicagoland area because we have two band 25 carriers, or they're taking their sweet time with it. I'm always being bounced around both band 25 carriers while sitting still, so I know that's a capacity switchover. I'm pretty sure Chicago is Sprint's #1 market as far as subscribers, and they really need all three 5x5's humming along perfectly asap to keep up with the demand in this market. Also, I'm noticing less and less band 41 everyday, and I'm not sure why. Maybe they're turning off clear sites so that they can do a mass clear/8t8r turn on? Who knows.

Vince I feel the same way. It's like they are just taking their sweet time and it's getting old quick you know??

• Like 2

Despite having a second carrier in Chicago I still think they should set it up so it will get used for capacity when both PCS carriers fill up (which will happen). I did see a capacity switchover to B26 once a few weeks ago on Lakeshore Drive. I guess time will tell.

And I don't quite understand why they skipped us with enabling the second carrier in Lake County. It's on in Porter and Laporte county!

Vince I feel the same way. It's like they are just taking their sweet time and it's getting old quick you know??

Then leave.

No one's going to stop you if you feel like this is all getting old even with the knowledge that your premier sponsorship grants you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Please consult our Rules/Posting Guidelines: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1197-s4gru-posting-guidelines-aka-the-rulez/

We do not host Sprint complaints. People don't come to S4GRU to read about that you don't like it. They can read complaints at the dozens of other sites that host Sprint complaints.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure it's NYC.

and... Que the Chicago vs NYC posts in 3...2...1...  :P

I visited Chicago last year on a Flyertalk seminar and while there I really didn't have any issue with Sprint. I also became friends with a few Chicagoans at the seminar who also have Sprint. Since then one of them left Sprint and went with AT&T, another to Verizon, and like I always say the Grass may look greener on the other side, but that's because it is fertilized with bullshit. They eventually returned back to Sprint since they had issues with the AT&T and Verizon services be it data or voice.

TS

• Like 5

and... Que the Chicago vs NYC posts in 3...2...1...  :P

I visited Chicago last year on a Flyertalk seminar and while there I really didn't have any issue with Sprint. I also became friends with a few Chicagoans at the seminar who also have Sprint. Since then one of them left Sprint and went with AT&T, another to Verizon, and like I always say the Grass may look greener on the other side, but that's because it is fertilized with bullshit. They eventually returned back to Sprint since they had issues with the AT&T and Verizon services be it data or voice.

TS

I don't know anyone whose service work flawlessly here, there are trouble spots, times, places for all the carriers.  To me its about pinpointing your needs vs. known good/bad spots.  My parents house in south burbs is an ATT deadzone, Sprint is not great in the Loop, TMobile is 2G after you pass Elgin/Aurora/Joliet, VZW was handing people down to 3G like crazy until recently.  The list goes on and on.  These are things I have come to know.  As our contracts expire or we are up for phone upgrades we all need to figure out what makes sense for us individually. 

• Like 4

That's the problem with cell service in Chicagoland, everybodies good but not great. You already outlined the pitfalls of each carrier. As much as I don't care for Sprints little hiccups everywhere, I remind myself of the other three's pitfalls and keep picking Sprints poison but I'll be examining things closely In a month when our contracts end.

This is unlike every other part of the country I've traveled. In southwest, CO AT&T is pretty much the go to carrier and Verizon is an excellent choice too, in TX AT&T hands down, in KC it's Sprint and TMO.

That's the problem with cell service in Chicagoland, everybodies good but not great. You already outlined the pitfalls of each carrier. As much as I don't care for Sprints little hiccups everywhere, I remind myself of the other three's pitfalls and keep picking Sprints poison but I'll be examining things closely In a month when our contracts end.

This is unlike every other part of the country I've traveled. In southwest, CO AT&T is pretty much the go to carrier and Verizon is an excellent choice too, in TX AT&T hands down, in KC it's Sprint and TMO.

Same here, my contract expires in 6 weeks.  I am not sure which direction I want to go.  I travel a ton now for work, that plays into my decision. 

Same here, my contract expires in 6 weeks.  I am not sure which direction I want to go.  I travel a ton now for work, that plays into my decision. 

You can continue service without a contract, there is no need to rush.

Further, most of the other carriers have no-contract plans available, so even if you do switch, there is no reason why you couldn't switch back later, aside from device cost.

I've thought about heading back to at&t. They've fixed just about every problem that plagued my phone and this area back 2 years ago, including fix dead spots and improve voice quality. I'm not sold on that idea because they're still weak at my house and It's an LTE dead zone including part of my town. If T-Mobile didn't drop from LTE to Edge just 15 miles south of me and lack coverage in rural places I'd jump to them in a heartbeat. I was thoroughly impressed with their LTE coverage in Lake County and Chicago (everywhere except my house where they haven't upgraded the local tower yet)

OTOH our Sprint plan is cheaper then anything out there now, their coverage is more consistent then att and works indoors unlike TMO, the LTE coverage needs to improve though. The only one I haven't test driven yet is Verizon, but I do know where their towers are, and I wouldn't mind having their rural coverage at my disposal.

I think the main driving factor will be whether they push us off our grandfathered EPRP plan at upgrade time or not to something more expensive. If that's the case I won't hesitate to pull the trigger on porting away.

You can continue service without a contract, there is no need to rush.

Further, most of the other carriers have no-contract plans available, so even if you do switch, there is no reason why you couldn't switch back later, aside from device cost.

This is what I have been thinking about.  I have been enamored with the N5 and Vince has even offered to sell my the one he never uses.  I know its a SIM based and global phone.  I travel out of the country a lot and want a phone I can SIM swap to a local carrier.  I also know with such device I can go month to month with TMobile or Sprint and just swap sims if I feel like changing carriers.  I think that kind of flexibility is exactly what I am looking for, though I do prefer Samsung's hard buttons for home/back/menu vs. the digital ones on the N5.

I am not going to tell you to stay with sprint neither, yet as premier member you know they aren't even totally done with band 26. Also that they haven't even turned up the power all the way on the 800 sites yet. I have a feeling when they do, it will be great. You know sprint's network is going to be one of the best networks around in a few months. But again, do what is best for you.

That's interesting tidbits about B26 power level.... I look forward to when they turned up the power all the way which hopefully wlil help improve the lousy reception on my HTC One Max....

alas... premier sponsor access is (for me) a bit too costly  :(