Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

Well, between terrible LTE coverage and now image compression, I am really having a hard time staying with Sprint. They seem to me like a company without direction. 

I have 4 more months on contract and if something doesn't change drastically I will move on.

Unlimited data sounds like a great deal, but if they compress it, or if it is not available then it means absolutely nothing. 

Well, between terrible LTE coverage and now image compression, I am really having a hard time staying with Sprint. They seem to me like a company without direction. 

I have 4 more months on contract and if something doesn't change drastically I will move on.

Unlimited data sounds like a great deal, but if they compress it, or if it is not available then it means absolutely nothing. 

In 4 months St. Louis will be an official Spark market, Band 41 should be widespread, Band 26 will be coming online, and more sites should have been completed to infill in areas where there is already congestion. 

In 4 months St. Louis will be an official Spark market, Band 41 should be widespread, Band 26 will be coming online, and more sites should have been completed to infill in areas where there is already congestion. 

But what about the rest of the markets? What about the more rural areas?

From my experiences, you get very far from any city and off the Interstates, you might as well use tin cans and string to make calls. Sprint;s footprint is minuscule and non-existent is a vast majority of the USA.

From my experiences, you get very far from any city and off the Interstates, you might as well use tin cans and string to make calls. Sprint;s footprint is minuscule and non-existent is a vast majority of the USA.

What about what markets?

Sprint is upgrading its entire footprint. If you fall outside of that footprint, well, Sprint's not for you.

Not sure why you're suddenly complaining about the rural footprint... 

I have not noticed with videos but have definitely noticed with images, especially on image sharing apps like Tumblr, Flickr, and Pinterest. 

Sprint does employ jpeg/gif compression on their network, see here: http://www.sprint.com/legal/open_internet_information.html 

It has been frustrating me for a while but I haven't seen it brought up too much. Some sites seem to compress more than others. Compression is generally much less apparent on 3G. On LTE, it can get ugly, definitely what I would define as "user perceptible loss of quality."

I am hoping that after NV is complete and Sprint has a more stable network, they will be able to scale back the compression a bit while still maintaining network quality. With LTE sites in some cases covering 1.5-2x the area they would be covering vs if all sites were upgraded, I can see why Sprint wants to provide a good overall user experience via compression.

This may sound silly, but are you using Google Chrome on your mobile device? They have a bandwidth saving setting that may be compressing on that end, too.

I don't have any problems with image quality/resolution on any site I browse on my iPhone 5s using Safari, but occasionally will see a slight quality hit on an image (use interfacelift.com, for example) if I'm in Chrome because it's trying to compress my images.

This, for the most part, is the biggest reason to stick around -- I can't even begin to imagine how great it'll be to have LTE reach into the Zoo, the science center (well, they do have free wifi), my office at Westport, etc.

And let's not forget about traveling to and from larger cities. The spacing should be optimal for interstate travel.

This may sound silly, but are you using Google Chrome on your mobile device? They have a bandwidth saving setting that may be compressing on that end, too.

I don't have any problems with image quality/resolution on any site I browse on my iPhone 5s using Safari, but occasionally will see a slight quality hit on an image (use interfacelift.com, for example) if I'm in Chrome because it's trying to compress my images.

No, there's a big thread on the Sprint forums about it. Its happening all over the place. I haven't seen it personally yet since I don't use my Sprint service much anymore since it never works.

No, there's a big thread on the Sprint forums about it. Its happening all over the place. I haven't seen it personally yet since I don't use my Sprint service much anymore since it never works.

I guess I'm lucky, then - I'm almost constantly surrounded by WiFi at work, and then covered with LTE on the way home, then back in my WiFi zone. I barely look at photos or videos while on the road - only really stream music/use maps/etc.

This statement is subject to change once the kids are of age to stream videos and junk in the backseat to keep them from killing each other.

I am using Google Chrome, but have checked and the "Reduce data usage" option is set to off.

I am certainly not complaining though. As everyone else has stated, desperate times have come to desperate measures for Sprint lately in our area. They are far enough into the upgrade to have LTE almost everywhere, but not far enough to have the site density needed for capacity yet. I am much happier to see them take an active role in preserving LTE quality in the interim so that I have usable data in most cases, even if the images look sloppy sometimes. This proves to me that Sprint is really trying to put emphasis on keeping the quality of mobile data services good, even throughout the rollout when network conditions aren't always favorable. They don't want to let this new network crash and burn (at least, not in cases where they can prevent it with a single 5 MHZ LTE carrier for now).

Now, if image compression is happening on B41 once I get the Spark update for my N5, I will complain/make a stink then  :)

This tower that is at Westport is pissing me off. It has unofficial LTE active with no eCSFB. So everyday to and from work that tower kicks me to 3G. It has been that way for almost 3 months now. My phone will then take about 30 seconds to a minute just to pick up the 3G service. Is this something I can call Sprint about?

This tower that is at Westport is pissing me off. It has unofficial LTE active with no eCSFB. So everyday to and from work that tower kicks me to 3G. It has been that way for almost 3 months now. My phone will then take about 30 seconds to a minute just to pick up the 3G service. Is this something I can call Sprint about?

You can try. Various rates of success with customer support on these kinds of technical issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm running into the same issues. I walk out of my building at Page Ave. & Ball Dr and it shows LTE, then 1x, then after a REALLY long time, I'll get 3G that's kinda but barely useful.

Arnold has the same issue too, still.

I'm running into the same issues. I walk out of my building at Page Ave. & Ball Dr and it shows LTE, then 1x, then after a REALLY long time, I'll get 3G that's kinda but barely useful.

There is some b41 along page there between shuetz and lindbergh which may be exasperating the problem

I used to work where the Talx building is there at page & lackland (before it was talx).

Ok, there is a new pipe sticking up from the billboard with 3 smaller ones about the size of a antenna panel mounted at 120 degree spacing around it but not panels yet.
Its not actually Zumbehl and 94, Port West is closer but it only goes off to the side of 94 across from the billboard site and the rental storage place it's just outside of. They are putting up the panels right now in the snow and freezing rain. Cool, you go guys. Now to make from the car to the apartment without falling on my butt. Sent from my SPH-L900
  • Like 1

Its not actually Zumbehl and 94, Port West is closer but it only goes off to the side of 94 across from the billboard site and the rental storage place it's just outside of. They are putting up the panels right now in the snow and freezing rain. Cool, you go guys. Now to make from the car to the apartment without falling on my butt. Sent from my SPH-L900

Props to those guys. I seriously respect them for doing that. I can't imagine being up in the air trying to attach big heavy panels to a pole in this weather. It is cold, windy, wet, icy, and basically everything that is miserable. I know I wouldn't want to do that.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There is some b41 along page there between shuetz and lindbergh which may be exasperating the problem

I used to work where the Talx building is there at page & lackland (before it was talx).

There's a nice flagpole B41 site at Old Olive St. Rd. and Lindbergh by the Fusz car dealerships that I spotted with the MiFi; I wonder if that's it?

Props to those guys. I seriously respect them for doing that. I can't imagine being up in the air trying to attach big heavy panels to a pole in this weather. It is cold, windy, wet, icy, and basically everything that is miserable. I know I wouldn't want to do that.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

When people bitch about NV progress in the Missouri market, I hope they remember posts like this. The freezing rain/sleet/snow and they're still pushing forward.

Just imagine how much will get done when it's actually warm again!

• Like 1

It sounds like Sprint won't meet your needs at all then no matter how their network is performing. You probably should go to AT&T or Verizon, whomever provides better coverage where you go. But you probably should avoid Tmo since their rural coverage is even less, their rural coverage is even slower EDGE or GPRS where they do and Tmo doesn't offer the generous roaming coverages or limits that Sprint does.

AT&T and Verizon have both lowered their pricing recently, so it has never been less expensive to use them. Good luck.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I got jobbed by Sprint on my Framily plan inclusion -- my wife made it in to someone's Framily, but I was left out. Someone snuck in and grabbed that 9th spot, so they only moved over one of my two lines.

Anyone got a Framily I can move two lines to? Or, would anyone be interested in starting a new Framily? I'd much rather have people I know/trust from this site and this thread in the Framily than some randoms from Reddit or FramilyCodes.com

Thanks!

Which site in in progress? So i can mark it on the sheet.

Sprint probably has the smallest native footprint around St. Louis. Indeed, I live outside of that footprint. What rural areas do you need coverage in? If you need rural coverage in Illinois, go to Verizon. If you need rural coverage in Missouri, look to AT&T. TMo has more rural coverage around St. Louis than Sprint but the catch is that coverage is usually EDGE.

I think Sprint should add some towers in Southern Illinois since it is an effectively two player market with the death of Alltel, but that's a different topic.