Sprint shut down page

danlodish345

I thought it would be a fitting tribute to Sprint to establish a network shutdown page where people can report Sprint network service winding down. As much as I dislike them because of their inconsistent service here for the most part I loved them.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

I m talking about sprints native network being shutdown 

I'm confused.  What are you suggesting is the 'sprint native' network?  B25 and B41 will be transformed to tmobile - which I think will be mostly seamless to end users.  B26 will eventually be used by Dish, but I'd think that before that is done, Tmobile customers (and those formerly known as Sprint customers) will have full unfettered access to Tmobile B71.  So again, other than those people at the very limits of B26 coverage, I hope this will also go largely unnoticed.

• Like 1

I'm confused.  What are you suggesting is the 'sprint native' network?  B25 and B41 will be transformed to tmobile - which I think will be mostly seamless to end users.  B26 will eventually be used by Dish, but I'd think that before that is done, Tmobile customers (and those formerly known as Sprint customers) will have full unfettered access to Tmobile B71.  So again, other than those people at the very limits of B26 coverage, I hope this will also go largely unnoticed.
Band 25 and band 41 will be used by T-Mobile. They are not going to show off the mid and high band spectrum they have.T-Mobile's going to have a huge amount of band 41 for capacity. Besides they all need band 26. They have a good amount of band 71 for a coverage.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, danlodish345 said:

Band 25 and band 41 will be used by T-Mobile. They are not going to show off the mid and high band spectrum they have.T-Mobile's going to have a huge amount of band 41 for capacity. Besides they all need band 26. They have a good amount of band 71 for a coverage.

What?  T-mobile has B71, they quite literally have no need for B26 once B71 is deployed everywhere.  B26 is going to dish.

So I'll ask again... What are you suggesting is the 'sprint native' network that will be shut down? 

What?  T-mobile has B71, they quite literally have no need for B26 once B71 is deployed everywhere.  B26 is going to dish.
So I'll ask again... What are you suggesting is the 'sprint native' network that will be shut down? 
Everywhere in a lot of places Sprint's network will be redundant and in many places sprints 5G Network will be shut down sooner than later. And then CDMA will be decommissioned. T-Mobile won't be keeping two networks running with two different technologies that would be a waste of money and synergies. The reason why this merger took place in the first place is that Sprint as a company was unfortunately floundering and T-Mobile was able to purchase the company and merge with them. They get a huge boost and customers and spectrum. T-Mobile isn't going to be using band 26 because it doesn't want it. Band 25 and band 41 will be used by T-Mobile.

By the way this is meant to be a tribute for Sprint. There's already a T-Mobile Sprint merger page. This is just a tribute page for Sprint for all the years of service they had. Even though the service wasn't really good here they were the first company I had a cell phone with and I love them for that.

I get where dan is coming coming from. 

Sure the networks are "mergering" but it's really refarm Sprint's spectrum, shut down 3G, shut down 1x, give B26 to Dish, combine sectors, shut down towers, hand tower leases over to Dish, stop using Sprint's core, etc. etc. 

Eventually I'll stop connecting to current Sprint sites and what not.  Eventually EVDO will no longer be available. 

As these things happen, this seems like a place to put it. But it will also coincide on the flip side with "TMobile's New Network" page. 

3 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

I get where dan is coming coming from. 

Sure the networks are "mergering" but it's really refarm Sprint's spectrum, shut down 3G, shut down 1x, give B26 to Dish, combine sectors, shut down towers, hand tower leases over to Dish, stop using Sprint's core, etc. etc. 

Eventually I'll stop connecting to current Sprint sites and what not.  Eventually EVDO will no longer be available. 

As these things happen, this seems like a place to put it. But it will also coincide on the flip side with "TMobile's New Network" page. 

^^ This... the GCis and PCIs that we've all grown accustomed to tracking will likely start to disappear as redundant sites are taken offline and the overall spectrum is re-farmed to T-Mobile.

12 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

Dan just trying to be nostalgic bro.

Thank you for saying that.  Even though I was complaining here and there about their service. When I got out into the areas where they really did have service it was pretty good. I'm going to miss diving down into the MSL menus and turning off all sorts of carrier aggregation and bands just to mess with the phone.

On 4/23/2020 at 12:46 AM, danlodish345 said:

Thank you for saying that.  Even though I was complaining here and there about their service. When I got out into the areas where they really did have service it was pretty good. I'm going to miss diving down into the MSL menus and turning off all sorts of carrier aggregation and bands just to mess with the phone.

We have seen at least two networks shut down here and there is a plague. Let's enjoy the best moments and frens we have made in all that process. We all know what you mean man.

I joined Sprint because they offered unlimited, family plan pricing and nice devices. They were a domestically operated company at the time, wholesome and based in the mid-west. Wimax was rolling out and so were a bunch of us trying to squeeze every bit of data we could out of it, if we were just lucky enough to spot it in the right place at the right time and optimal frame of mind I suppose.

That sent a bunch of us off learning and asking, bantzing online, getting cool devices and the want to build cool stuff. I bought a series of cameras to get out, get photos and in turn I was fortunate to meet other Americans that like to build stuff like towers and radios and backhaul, it was all amazing! I brought pizza so it was easy. I am not kidding that gets you into the hut. I let my device spend more time logging or flashing or TTL DUN in this file after entering an unstable baseband FW that turned out to be not at all what I needed  After I promptly jacked it up the nice person at the store would explain how not to do what I just did; then repair or replace and charge me a fee for service. Early on they did not mind device ownership and what we really did to them within reasonable noise limits.

Conventionally we have done been told and debated and pontificated unlimited and it's meaning. So sidestepping that mess, I always wanted to see if my X handset could compete with my current expensive option. Being more forward thinking with the knowledge I picked up here, I knew we would come to rely on wireless internet for service where we want to live. That became magics unto itself with components like sims, plans and pricing. Tethers, radios and firmware. I could go on for days, I have here and that is great.

Tonight I am cleaning up a bunch of project waste in the lab from cool LTE tasks I like to build. Might even add another 14$ lamp so I can take moar better pictures of what part of the house I am running an antenna to this season. I have always been a device value and ownership advocate, I was able to explore that on the Sprint Network. 

I actually found my old Netgear 6100D(Band 41!). This was my first real LTE routing device and it was surprisingly stable for a Sprint branded product. This was unfortunately not replicated in the femtocells, as demonstrated in the related threads with endless Q's about how to service what Gen of which Rave or Box that worked until a month ago or somehow just showed up at random. Sprint was innovative, but liked to inflict those product ideas on their user base in beta. A LOT. So we learned.

xK7YIFj.jpg 

Anyway that old thing is going in the bin, unless T-mo will take it for trade in value that may appear in 3 billing cycles.

Either way it has to go.

I gotta make room. 

fUTGrys.jpg

An Official Shiny And New Five(5) Gee(G) Embedded Radio (with New Radio!) got here today from the nice communists over at Quectel on the mainland and once again I am bypassing lame carrier hardware. This time I am just building my own for the network of the future. I may wish I knew as much last time but I am thankful for the experience gained by doing so.

I am just an exceptionally common American 🇺🇸 that likes to build things and I appreciate what got me to what I am doing now as an enthusiast and 𝓅𝓇𝑒𝓂𝒾𝑒𝓇𝑒 shitposter. Thank you for sharing @danlodish345  I remember many fond memories of your exploding Samsung phones and that tower near your home, did they ever upgrade that to triband? Mine is still GMO band 25 in 2020 lol. The local Sprint site is a jalopy still, and the abandoned SprintShak in town has a microcell on top that got turned off with the power so it is kind of lights out around here. It is happening. Fast. I wish I was able to experience Wimax, L41 and other variations of BRS intentions at home, we are still here for the next try.

It is also a grinding recession all of sudden where everyone needs to get connected, recently furloughed I find this set of skills useful to have. Imagine what I would have done if I listened to everyone who told me not to get as much as I could out of my Sprint connection? I am glad to have met ya'll and keeping me challenged, I learn so much.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

Do you happen to know which Quectel modem is in that router?

Which router? I am about to build the RM500Q-GL into a custom router.

The T-Mobile home internet box has an SoC cat. 16 radio, it is basically a Nighthawk with an extra RJ45 plus an RJ11 port, minus USB C.

4 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

Which router? I am about to build the RM500Q-GL into a custom router.

The T-Mobile home internet box has an SoC cat. 16 radio, it is basically a Nighthawk with an extra RJ45 plus an RJ11 port, minus USB C.

Oh, it didn't click with me that those are two different things.  I saw that and assumed "oh wow, that tmobile router is made by Quectel!". 

What are you gonna put that RM500 into out of curiosity?  I have been thinking about doing an LTE router or just dropping a modem into my pfsense box for backup purposes.

My first Sprint phone was the Evo 4G, in LA/North OC it actually wasn’t bad. I was even able to pick up WiMAX in my house! How many can say that? I used Clearwire WiMAX home internet from 2011 until they shut down service, installed a yagi antenna on my roof pointed towards the tower. Still have the old Clear modem in a box in my garage, along with my Netgear Zing I used after the WiMAX shutdown (before finally getting cable internet). BTW that tower STILL has the old dual mode WiMAX/B41 LTE panels installed by Clear to this day.

Honestly I can’t say that I’ve ever been completely satisfied with Sprint service, and there were times where I cursed them in my head (in the big box store, in my head, “f***in Sprint”) but what I can say is that I never desired to be a T-Mobile or Verizon customer. So I guess Sprint wasn’t that bad after all.

Farewell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

My first smartphone was the EVO 4G as well! That was actually the first phone that I bought myself. Before that I just had a prepaid flip phone from T-Mobile that my parents paid for. 

I was able to pick up WiMax in my house in KC too, my family used Clearwire for home internet for several years after I won a modem at some tent they had set up, I think it was like at Best Buy or something. Upgraded to the EVO 4G LTE too quickly and got stuck on 3G for several weeks before they launched LTE 😂.

The Clearwire antennas finally came down summer of last year when they put up a dual 800/2500 antennas next to the original 800/1900 NV antennas. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

My first smartphone was the EVO 4G as well! That was actually the first phone that I bought myself. Before that I just had a prepaid flip phone from T-Mobile that my parents paid for. 

I was able to pick up WiMax in my house in KC too, my family used Clearwire for home internet for several years after I won a modem at some tent they had set up, I think it was like at Best Buy or something. Upgraded to the EVO 4G LTE too quickly and got stuck on 3G for several weeks before they launched LTE 😂.

The Clearwire antennas finally came down summer of last year when they put up a dual 800/2500 antennas next to the original 800/1900 NV antennas. 

The HTC EVO 4G LTE, and the HTC One released afterwards we're the best designed devices during that time frame.

• Like 2

For me it’s like I’ve come full circle. I had T-mobile from 2006-2009 which was a flip phone (possibly a Samsung)l flip phone). In 2008 I went to a different work location and T-mobile service was dreadful at my work location (so bad only way I could send a text was putting it in drawer texting at a very awkward angle). So I ended up switching to Sprint in late 2009, getting Sprint’s Everything Data 1500 plan and went with the BlackBerry Curve 8330, which I would consider my first smartphone. Only issue with the Curve was that the trackball would wear out easily and pop out. But this was at the time when Dan Hesse was CEO and you could upgrade your phone after just one year and decided to get the HTC Evo 4G (WiMAX version). Not gonna lie it was frustrating that Sprint could never get around to watching WiMAX in the San Diego area, but 3G speeds were satisfactory. But I remember how fast when I traveled to Chicago and New York City when I was able to connect to WiMAX in those two cities & how speedy WiMAX was about (8–10Mbps download) compared to 3G. Unlimited data was a big deal to me back then since I had a Slingbox to watch tv on the go. Then in 2012, I ended up upgrading to the Samsung Galaxy S3, Sprint had basically waved the white flag around this time on WiMAX and had to start from scratch and build their own LTE network. It was around this time I joined S4GRU, and followed the Network Vision-San Diego market thread and remember how exciting it was to first get a crumb of LTE on I-5 by La Jolla Village Drive nearby the Mormon Temple. Probably within a year or 2 after that crumb of LTE, LTE became widespread. Then in 2014, I ended up getting the Samsung Galaxy 5, and then in 2016, I thought I was going to have the Samsung phone that would last me more than 2 years which was the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 which I upgraded in August of 2016. This particular phone at the time had the best smartphone camera at that time I’ve personally ever had which took photos in less than ideal conditions. Sure enough 4 weeks later, the exploding battery issue came to fruition (fortunately something I did not personally experience) and in November of that year, I swallowed some pride and gulp, went with the iPhone 7 Plus which I still have nearly 3 years later. For me anyways with all the struggles Sprint had and there were some here and there but they were satisfactory and will be bummed to see them go. Here is the attached photo I took with my Samsung Note 7 which blew my mind.fc062fc5e8e8a57409b20ef4077a60a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

My first smartphone was the EVO 4G as well!

Ah, nostalgia.  My first smartphone (which pales to call it that by comparison to today) was the old HTC Fuze WinMo 6 phone when I was still on AT&T.  My first true (by modern standard) smartphone was when I switched to Sprint - the beloved Samsung Epic 4G QWERTY slider.  

I've long since left behind any regrets of not having physical keyboard options when you get down to it, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that didn't still miss those days.

• Like 4

My first smartphone was the EVO 4G as well!

My first smartphone was a brick compared to the EVO 4G! [emoji23] It really was a brick - the PPC 6700 with Windows Mobile 5! (I still have it actually) I loved that phone, but grew tired of the landscape slider keyboard's width. Next was a Treo800W. That's where my love of physical keyboard phones began. I still can't type worth a dang on these giant slabs of glass!! [emoji2959]

• Like 2