Sprint/T-Mobile Merger Poll

JThorson

Which carrier will you choose?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If the Sprint/T-Mobile merger is successful, which carrier will you choose to be on?

• Verizon
    • AT&T
    • New T-Mobile
    • Project Fi
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

I would do the New T-Mobile initially because I would be excited to watch the progress.  And since I am already a Tmo customer, it would just happen by default.  However, if they started jacking up pricing and VZW or AT&T were less expensive, I would consider a switch.  I do not have any unnatural loyalty to the new Sprint/T-Mobile merged company.  They will have to keep at it to keep my business in the long run.

Robert

• Like 15
  • Love 2

I was hoping Sprint mobile

But I'll have to go with the new evil T-Mobile for now. Simply make adjustments as I go. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nowerlater said:

The real question is what will S4GRU change its name to?

2019 is still a ways off.  We would need to see some major hurdles toward approval need to be cleared.  It would have to be more imminent than AT&T/Tmo got.  After all, that one never went forward.

Robert

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

2019 is still a ways off.  We would need to see some major hurdles toward approval need to be cleared.  It would have to be more imminent than AT&T/Tmo got.  After all, that one never went forward.

Robert

Hypothetically 

I will stay with New T-Mobile for now. I wonder how this will affect our plans. When will we be able to use the T-Mobile towers & will we keep Hulu?

Our one and only Sprint tower still hasn’t switched to LTE yet & just last week Sprint told me they have no idea when or if that will happen. 

The real question is how will they merge the carriers networks for consumers. 

IMO Google Project fi has done a successful job in this, well they take note and follow suit. It would be practical at least in my observation to keep both Networks intact. 

I suspect that many (most?) current high-end Sprint smartphones are fully capable of using both networks, and are only blocked from doing so by firmware/software. If T-Sprint or S-Mobile were to push out updates to all reasonably current devices capable of using both networks during the transition, should they merge, that would be a good first step.

My biggest concern, of course, is will I be able to keep my grandfathered Sprint plan... (SERO)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The real question is what will happen to all those prepaid brands, MetroPCS, Virgin, Boost. Would they just continue just under the new network or would we see them end Sprints prepaid brands in favor of its own. One thing i'm surely looking forward to is seeing that 600, 700, and 800 all deployed together combined with 1.9, 2.1, and of course 2.5. Especially in rural areas, and by rural I don't mean some place far out with one house and 200 miles around of nothing but land, but small towns, that today aren't served by T-Mobile or Sprint, and in many places I've found, included my own (not happy about it) no major carrier options. No Verizon, No AT&T, No T-Mobile, and No Sprint. With this, that would finally change, with the added spectrum, better financial position, and T-Mobile's already aggressive network expansion, that would finally end in so many places. I just hope that the skeptics don't end up killing a deal that could be incredibly positive.

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, Tomas said:

I suspect that many (most?) current high-end Sprint smartphones are fully capable of using both networks, and are only blocked from doing so by firmware/software. If T-Sprint or S-Mobile were to push out updates to all reasonably current devices capable of using both networks during the transition, should they merge, that would be a good first step.

My biggest concern, of course, is will I be able to keep my grandfathered Sprint plan... (SERO)

Tomas!  Welcome back.  :wavey:

Robert

• Like 3

I'm watching Verizon promotions now.  I will have nothing to do with any company under the management of those who currently operate the present-day T-Mobile.  I think the company is shady, dishonest, and worse.  As a Sprint user since 2003, I hope this merger sinks.

A possibly interesting viewpoint from Gizmodo.com ...

T-Mobile CEO John Legere has been attempting to hype up the merger by claiming it will “create a fierce competitor” with the ability to deliver “lower prices” and “more innovation,” but basically everything we know about these types of deals tells us the exact opposite will happen.

Look no further than Canada, which has three major carriers that have no interest in competing with one another. The country is home to some of the priciest phone bills in the world. The National Post explains, “...Canadian telecoms are in a situation in which there’s no real incentive to undercut each other. The three companies know they are better off when Canadians are paying among the world’s highest rates for cell phone usage.”

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tomas said:

A possibly interesting viewpoint from Gizmodo.com ...

Wow. Lazy Journalism at it's finest. Canada =/= USA.

Canada is tremendously huge, yet has a fraction of the population that we do. Canada has around 38 Million residents to be split among three carriers. Sprint alone has way more subscribers than that! 

Why not use Mexico as an example? They went from four national carriers to three and competition is still good. They don't have unlimited data (and never have), but price for data has gone down considerably as time goes by. 

• Like 1

Weird.  I literally just signed up with Sprint again last saturday due to the "$200 in accessories deal!".  I found out a week later about this merger.   Hmmmmm.   Well we'll see how this goes.  I'm not very enamored of Verizon and their "we'll meter the daylights out of your existence" - I like the Sprint unlimited everything but we start getting "you'll get x hundreds minutes of talk time and this many text messages and this much data" for more money per month I'm not sure what I'll do then.  

I honestly think this thread poll / question is a bit premature in the fact that for the merger to be successful, that implies that it is signed sealed and delivered. If historical content is any indication, that could take 1-2 (or more) years to be finalized. Especially in terms of sites operational with all bands and devices. But lets say that time is now, if the transition over to TMO and the service is good, and the quality stays the same or better, then I may stay with the new TMO. If not, then Verizon it will be.