Make Spectrum Great Again - Group wants to put pressure on Dish

orangeblue

I remember when Dish was cheaper than DirecTV. Now it is just as expensive. People are starting to figure that out. Then add that AT&T has enough rural capacity at this stage to cut into DishNET and can bundle DirecTV and wireless together... That isn't a pretty picture. In cities, people are transitioning to OTT products and Sling has a competition with many alternatives there. They should have took Magenta's offer when they had the chance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Opinion: Dish should just lease this out at a reasonable price that way they get to keep the spectrum, they get #s to put on the income statement, and then carriers get extra spectrum to use at a cheaper cost than purchasing it outright

Opinion: Dish should just lease this out at a reasonable price that way they get to keep the spectrum, they get #s to put on the income statement, and then carriers get extra spectrum to use at a cheaper cost than purchasing it outright

That might be Dish's end game. That said, I think that Charlie might be disappointed he spent that money on spectrum when all he got was a lousy return off it. For all the spectrum haul he probably could have acquired CenturyLink or some landline provider like that for bundling services like AT&T has done now with DirecTV.

It looks that Dish Network is now the target of a short sell hedge fund and they launched

www.makespectrumgreatagain.com

today in an effort to bring the stock price of Dish down and to call attention to Dish's hoarding of spectrum. 

The name of that site... spectrum is already great, just that particular amount of spectrum is so yuggge, it could be put to better yuussse. The spectrums already great though.

Without delving into the radical political fray that our options for president apparently have in store, I suspect Uncle Charlie wants to wait until we elect the next President to determine what he does with it (hold and dare vs sell for less than it may be worth one day). He is a miser- a penny pinching curmudgeon. Unless he is paid a fancy premium on value, he is going to need a strong motive to rationalize his "loss"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The name of that site... spectrum is already great, just that particular amount of spectrum is so yuggge, it could be put to better yuussse. The spectrums already great though.

He thinks it's so great that he doesn't need DAS or small cells in his hotels for mobile service. True story, that's how the Legere-Trump beef started. 

To steer this back on topic, I suspect Verizon and Dish need each other in the end. I don't believe Verizon likes Charlie's price. 

• Like 2

To steer this back on topic, I suspect Verizon and Dish need each other in the end. I don't believe Verizon likes Charlie's price. 

While possible, I don't necessarily thinks that's true. I just think Verizon believes they're well stocked on spectrum. They got plenty of AWS-3, and the markets where they didn't get the J block they already have outstanding holdings. They just need to thin out CDMA like they've been saying and get band 2 live in higher capacity in more markets. 

Dish is gonna have to look at regional carriers and T-Mobile to dump this spectrum. T-Mobile still gets hit really hard in some markets, and since they'll need to buy B66 equipment anyway, buying/leasing AWS from Dish will help where it really hurts (Wisconsin, Phoenix, some California)

• Like 1

While possible, I don't necessarily thinks that's true. I just think Verizon believes they're well stocked on spectrum. They got plenty of AWS-3, and the markets where they didn't get the J block they already have outstanding holdings. They just need to thin out CDMA like they've been saying and get band 2 live in higher capacity in more markets. 

Dish is gonna have to look at regional carriers and T-Mobile to dump this spectrum. T-Mobile still gets hit really hard in some markets, and since they'll need to buy B66 equipment anyway, buying/leasing AWS from Dish will help where it really hurts (Wisconsin, Phoenix, some California)

Sprint could do well with the PCS-H block that Dish controls but otherwise Sprint is out. AT&T got their Band 30 coming online, and Verizon has plenty of Spectrum currently used for CDMA and is able to refarm it.  

Sprint could do well with the PCS-H block that Dish controls but otherwise Sprint is out. AT&T got their Band 30 coming online, and Verizon has plenty of Spectrum currently used for CDMA and is able to refarm it.  

Don't think so, I heard somewhere on the forum that AWS-2 (PCS H) causes interference with the rest of the PCS spectrum, so that's a no go. Maybe if we used IMT or DCS set up it would work but the US doesn't do that clearly. On top of this, AWS-2 would require yet another new band if there isn't one already, new networking equipment, and new cellphones. Not a lot of value for a 5x5 block!

Don't think so, I heard somewhere on the forum that AWS-2 (PCS H) causes interference with the rest of the PCS spectrum, so that's a no go. Maybe if we used IMT or DCS set up it would work but the US doesn't do that clearly. On top of this, AWS-2 would require yet another new band if there isn't one already, new networking equipment, and new cellphones. Not a lot of value for a 5x5 block!

Actually it was that Dish was concerned about PCS-H interference to it's AWS-4 spectrum but the FCC shut them down:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/special-reports/aws-2pcs-h-block-spectrum-auction-guide

Unlike you, I believe that Sprint should do well to acquire PCS-H since it clearly is deficient in mid-band spectrum. I also would not mind some of Dish's AWS-3 spectrum.

Does anybody think, looking back, that maybe Sprint would have been better off with Dish rather than SoftBank?

Actually it was that Dish was concerned about PCS-H interference to it's AWS-4 spectrum but the FCC shut them down:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/special-reports/aws-2pcs-h-block-spectrum-auction-guide

Unlike you, I believe that Sprint should do well to acquire PCS-H since it clearly is deficient in mid-band spectrum. I also would not mind some of Dish's AWS-3 spectrum.

Does anybody think, looking back, that maybe Sprint would have been better off with Dish rather than SoftBank?

I just personally don't think that AWS-2 would be worth it given the process required to get it up and running vs cost. If Sprint acquired all of Dish's AWS-3 and AWS-4 holdings however, that would be interesting and I would be zen with it!

He thinks it's so great that he doesn't need DAS or small cells in his hotels for mobile service. True story, that's how the Legere-Trump beef started.

Verizon will need all the help they can because their service here in New York City is getting crippled. My Verizon Galaxy Note is dropping to 3G like crazy in many places while my Sprint iPhone stays solid on band 41.

I have never seen Verizon service struggling like this, maybe it's the strike or but the capacity crunch problem is there. So yes they will need Dish spectrum sooner or later.

Verizon will need all the help they can because their service here in New York City is getting crippled. My Verizon Galaxy Note is dropping to 3G like crazy in many places while my Sprint iPhone stays solid on band 41.

I have never seen Verizon service struggling like this, maybe it's the strike or but the capacity crunch problem is there. So yes they will need Dish spectrum sooner or later.

They have not fully reformed their cellular and PCS holdings yet. Plus AWS-3.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

I think that the PCS H Block would be awesome for Sprint. It will give them 10x10 in every market (the PCS H Block is adjacent to the PCS G Block) and possibly 15x15 or 20x20 in markets where Sprint holds the PCS C Block. Additionally, I don't believe sprint will need new antennas/RRUs due to the proximity between the PCS G and H blocks. I think that Dish's AWS would be a waste though because it would require a whole new rollout of equipment and everything.

I think that the PCS H Block would be awesome for Sprint. It will give them 10x10 in every market (the PCS H Block is adjacent to the PCS G Block) and possibly 15x15 or 20x20 in markets where Sprint holds the PCS C Block. Additionally, I don't believe sprint will need new antennas/RRUs due to the proximity between the PCS G and H blocks. I think that Dish's AWS would be a waste though because it would require a whole new rollout of equipment and everything.

It would need new equipment. Band 25 does not include H block because the H block is not PCS, it's AWS-2. It would require it's own band or another superset band and new hardware.

VZ's likely going to go very hard with Nokia Flexi cells in that area though. With an estimated $12 billion in capex to blow, they can do a whole lot. I wouldn't be shocked to see Verizon replace AlLu there starting this year. Especially since the new Nokia equipment is miles better.

It would need new equipment. Band 25 does not include H block because the H block is not PCS, it's AWS-2. It would require it's own band or another superset band and new hardware.

The PCS/AWS-2 H block is considered both PCS and AWS -- hence, the "H" nomenclature and slash.  You also could say that the PCS G block is not exactly PCS, since it was not part of the original band plan, not to mention, most PCS devices do not include PCS G block compatibility.  But you are correct that the PCS/AWS-2 H block would require a new 3GPP band and new infrastructure.

AJ

• Like 1

The PCS/AWS-2 H block is considered both PCS and AWS -- hence, the "H" nomenclature and slash. You also could say that the PCS G block is not exactly PCS, since it was not part of the original band plan, not to mention, most PCS devices do not include PCS G block compatibility. But you are correct that the PCS/AWS-2 H block would require a new 3GPP band and new infrastructure.

AJ

I understand the new LTE band but couldn't Sprint tweak their current RRUs and antennas to support the H block? It wouldn't be optimal but it would be a band aid fix until they are able to roll out new RRUs and antennas...

I understand the new LTE band but couldn't Sprint tweak their current RRUs and antennas to support the H block? It wouldn't be optimal but it would be a band aid fix until they are able to roll out new RRUs and antennas...

If the equipment was not built with H block support, there's not much "tweaking" that can be done. Same goes for Band 5 (850-A). Adjacent to Band 26 (and included, superset) but the Sprint equipment is not compatible.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 1