Way to ride B41 more often?

I have a Nexus 5 from the Google Play store. 

In band Priority settings, B25/26/41 are set to 1.  0 is also an option.  If i want to ride B41, is this the most that I can do?  And I assume 1 has more priority over 0, so set B25/26 to 0 and leave B41 on 1?

I find 41 to be annoying when it isn't a blanket here yet.  My phone will take a -90dBm or higher connection on B25/26 over B41.  Then it will drop B41 like a hot potato at -115dBm no matter what even though that is still an ok connection and the data link is much better than the other bands.  Sometimes it will connect to B41 really late, or drop B41 really early.  I can roll up onto a tower with B41 and it won't connect until I am right up on it, or I pass into another sector off that tower.

I wish I could just disable B25/26 and see what happens.  But all I can do is disable 26/41 that I am aware of. 

In band Priority settings, B25/26/41 are set to 1.  0 is also an option.  If i want to ride B41, is this the most that I can do?  And I assume 1 has more priority over 0, so set B25/26 to 0 and leave B41 on 1?

Band priorities only tell your device what band to look for in what order when it is seeking an LTE signal. It is nearly zero impact because as soon as your device finds an LTE signal, the network takes over and puts the device where it wants it to be.

• Like 2

I have a Nexus 5 from the Google Play store.

In band Priority settings, B25/26/41 are set to 1. 0 is also an option. If i want to ride B41, is this the most that I can do? And I assume 1 has more priority over 0, so set B25/26 to 0 and leave B41 on 1?

I find 41 to be annoying when it isn't a blanket here yet. My phone will take a -90dBm or higher connection on B25/26 over B41. Then it will drop B41 like a hot potato at -115dBm no matter what even though that is still an ok connection and the data link is much better than the other bands. Sometimes it will connect to B41 really late, or drop B41 really early. I can roll up onto a tower with B41 and it won't connect until I am right up on it, or I pass into another sector off that tower.

I wish I could just disable B25/26 and see what happens. But all I can do is disable 26/41 that I am aware of.

From what I've noticed with my Nexus 5 and 6 is that no matter what you set your priorities to the network will move you around automatically. I'm sure it's the same for any other triband device. All the scan priorities do is connect to that band first if its available. Then it will try the other 2 band until in finds a connection. When connected the Sprint network will move you around depending on your signal and the network load.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Poo.  It is just annoying right now I guess.  Maybe once more sites get it, it won't be as much an issue.  Higher chance of getting put on B41.

It is just annoying cause I can roll up on a tower (on the same sector) and won't connect to B41 until I am 50yrds away.  But then sometimes on that same tower, and sector, I can hook onto B41 1.5miles out.  This applies just not for this one tower example, but for every now that has B41 on it, the same rubbish happens on every single one of them. There are some towers that I may or may not connect to B41 even.  Sometimes it just passes right on up.

As far as network load, B41 is a clear freeway, so that should be given priority right there.  Then connection wise, I'd rather take a -115dBm B41 signal that pulls down 20Mbps then the -95dBm B25 signal that pulls in 1Mbps.  You'd think Sprint would be shoving B41 capable devices onto B41 as much as possible to lighten the load on 25/26.  

• Like 1

Poo. It is just annoying right now I guess. Maybe once more sites get it, it won't be as much an issue. Higher chance of getting put on B41.

It is just annoying cause I can roll up on a tower (on the same sector) and won't connect to B41 until I am 50yrds away. But then sometimes on that same tower, and sector, I can hook onto B41 1.5miles out. This applies just not for this one tower example, but for every now that has B41 on it, the same rubbish happens on every single one of them. There are some towers that I may or may not connect to B41 even. Sometimes it just passes right on up.

As far as network load, B41 is a clear freeway, so that should be given priority right there. Then connection wise, I'd rather take a -115dBm B41 signal that pulls down 20Mbps then the -95dBm B25 signal that pulls in 1Mbps. You'd think Sprint would be shoving B41 capable devices onto B41 as much as possible to lighten the load on 25/26.

Band 41 tends to not connect in close range. Also once band 41 gets added to more sites. You will find your device on band 41 more than band 25/26 when in range of band 41.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Poo. It is just annoying right now I guess. Maybe once more sites get it, it won't be as much an issue. Higher chance of getting put on B41.

It is just annoying cause I can roll up on a tower (on the same sector) and won't connect to B41 until I am 50yrds away. But then sometimes on that same tower, and sector, I can hook onto B41 1.5miles out. This applies just not for this one tower example, but for every now that has B41 on it, the same rubbish happens on every single one of them. There are some towers that I may or may not connect to B41 even. Sometimes it just passes right on up.

As far as network load, B41 is a clear freeway, so that should be given priority right there. Then connection wise, I'd rather take a -115dBm B41 signal that pulls down 20Mbps then the -95dBm B25 signal that pulls in 1Mbps. You'd think Sprint would be shoving B41 capable devices onto B41 as much as possible to lighten the load on 25/26.

You'll probably have to wait until your whole market is completed with 8t8r radios installations. I've noticed that Nokia has gone around and installed 8t8r around Texas, but leave them at low power which roughly gives the same coverage as Clearwire LTE. Once a market is complete, optimizations should help a ton.

New 8t8r equipment only goes as high as -82 dbm in my area, while they should be able to reach up as high as the upper -50s when fully optimized (as seen in places such as Las Vegas). I'm assuming once Clearwire equipment is taken off line, then people should be able to see the real strength of B41.

You'll probably have to wait until your whole market is completed with 8t8r radios installations. I've noticed that Nokia has gone around and installed 8t8r around Texas, but leave them at low power which roughly gives the same coverage as Clearwire LTE. Once a market is complete, optimizations should help a ton.

New 8t8r equipment only goes as high as -82 dbm in my area, while they should be able to reach up as high as the upper -50s when fully optimized (as seen in places such as Las Vegas). I'm assuming once Clearwire equipment is taken off line, then people should be able to see the real strength of B41.

I've noticed this at some tower also.... I was literally across the street from one tower yesterday and I couldn't get a signal better than -80dbm.  thinking this maybe a down angle issue (thinking i was below where the antenna was pointing) I tired moving around a bit further away only make the signal worse

I've noticed this at some tower also.... I was literally across the street from one tower yesterday and I couldn't get a signal better than -80dbm. thinking this maybe a down angle issue (thinking i was below where the antenna was pointing) I tired moving around a bit further away only make the signal worse

I have no clue why this happens. My best guess is so they won't interfere with the old Clearwire equipment or maybe they just won't optimize them until the entire market is covered with 8t8r B41.

Diasble band 25/26 then your device will only search for band 41. It works on my nexus 6. I notice better speeds also with higher dbm -120dbm or higher and still pulls 8-20mpbs which I also would rather have than a great band 25-26 signal with terrible capacity. T-Mobile band 4 behaves similar. I can easily load a HD or even full HD video on a 120dbm signal.

• Like 1

Diasble band 25/26 then your device will only search for band 41. It works on my nexus 6. I notice better speeds also with higher dbm -120dbm or higher and still pulls 8-20mpbs which I also would rather have than a great band 25-26 signal with terrible capacity. T-Mobile band 4 behaves similar. I can easily load a HD or even full HD video on a 120dbm signal.

I don't think many phones outside of the Nexus allows the option to disable Band 25. I know the GS5 only allows Band 26 and Band 41 to be disabled, but there is no option to disable B25.

Which is quite a bummer since I also experience the same thing you do. I had a tower outage once that brought B25/26 offline, but Clear LTE was unaffected. B41 was still working along ~-120 and the download was a solid 5-6 Mbps. Much better than B25 and B26, that's for sure.

Edited by greenbastard

I don't think many phones outside of the Nexus allows the option to disable Band 25. I know the GS5 only allows Band 26 and Band 41 to be disabled, but there is no option to disable B25.

Feels good to be on Team Nexus[emoji41]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Band 41 tends to not connect in close range. Also once band 41 gets added to more sites. You will find your device on band 41 more than band 25/26 when in range of band 41.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I've been connected to b41 all day and I'm close to the site. I can't seem to shake it lol

I find it pretty cool how Sprint has it set up.

• Like 1

I new here so sorry if this has been answered, try as I might I can't find the answer I'm looking for. What kind of range should band 41 be able to achieve? I find that I loose it .5 miles away from the site, I basically have to be right on top of the site to connect? This image is across the street from a band 41 tower it's the best band 41 signal I ever see in town. e228c978c8964e588f90833eb22c1bd5.jpgd30b5961277d692b8875c4947635deb6.jpg

I know i have a single tower in my town not upgraded to lte, is it possible that the area is not optimized? Thanks

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I new here so sorry if this has been answered, try as I might I can't find the answer I'm looking for. What kind of range should band 41 be able to achieve? I find that I loose it .5 miles away from the site, I basically have to be right on top of the site to connect? This image is across the street from a band 41 tower it's the best band 41 signal I ever see in town.

I know i have a single tower in my town not upgraded to lte, is it possible that the area is not optimized? Thanks

Nick

Are you in a Clearwire LTE market?

Are you in a Clearwire LTE market?

no clearwire it is a small market, only 5 towers in town.  4 towers are band 41 active, one is 3g only.  only one tower has good range with band 41, 2.5 miles outside, 1-1.5 (depending on building type) inside.  the other three band 41 towers have very short range .5 miles, never better than -100 or worse...  my guess is one tower is full blast and the other 3 are low power untill the 3g tower is upgraded they the optimize them all together? not even sure if that's how it works

Nick

I new here so sorry if this has been answered, try as I might I can't find the answer I'm looking for. What kind of range should band 41 be able to achieve? I find that I loose it .5 miles away from the site, I basically have to be right on top of the site to connect? This image is across the street from a band 41 tower it's the best band 41 signal I ever see in town.

Nick

You have an iPhone 6. That's your problem. That's all of our (iPhone users') problems.

To elaborate, Apple/Sprint released something called a Carrier Bundle Update to our devices. Carrier Bundles determine what bands our phones connect to, when it scans for them, how the antenna's in our devices work, etc. And this update that was released around the time that iOS 8.4 came out completely ruined the iPhone's ability to connect correctly to the Sprint network. Therefore, it's more than likely the iPhone's fault that you are dropping the signal so quickly. (Or, of course, it could be that that one tower isn't optimized.)

-Anthony

You have an iPhone 6. That's your problem. That's all of our (iPhone users') problems.

To elaborate, Apple/Sprint released something called a Carrier Bundle Update to our devices. Carrier Bundles determine what bands our phones connect to, when it scans for them, how the antenna's in our devices work, etc. And this update that was released around the time that iOS 8.4 came out completely ruined the iPhone's ability to connect correctly to the Sprint network. Therefore, it's more than likely the iPhone's fault that you are dropping the signal so quickly. (Or, of course, it could be that that one tower isn't optimized.)

-Anthony

thanks Anthony, i just thought it was weird that one tower seems fine and the other towers seem to be weak, i just discovered the Iphone 6 thread talking about carrier bundle update... hope they figure out its a problem and fix it soon, it kinda makes the sprint network look bad not terible just slower and with less LTE coverage... thanks for the info

• Like 1