Coverage map edited to not include off network roaming

I edited one of the coverage maps from here to make it easier to tell the difference from native Sprint coverage and roaming. Darker spots have no coverage at all.

Sprint-Coverage-edited-to-make-roaming-d

Edited by xmx1024
  • Like 3

And now with the recent changes, a lot more native coverage appearing with RRPP members. Bluegrass, Pioneer, Nextech, United, James Valley. Back on the upward swing!

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 7

yup, the ironic thing is I just moved out west to CO. From Salina, KS to just about Colorado Springs, CO you are roaming at 1x data. Barely enough for Waze mapping.

And now it is 3G EVDO again on Nextech from Salina to Limon, CO along I-70.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 1

Jeez, the network, when put like that, seems so... diminutive. 

Some of the coverage map is not accurate -- not overestimating but shortchanging Sprint.

California's Central Valley footprint, for example, appears to have been off for a long time now, probably since the Ubiquitel days.  While I have not been in the area in years, I honestly do not believe that the highway and rural Sprint sites in that exceedingly flat terrain produce just isolated lily pads of coverage with seemingly only 3-5 mile radii. 

Meanwhile, T-Mobile has an AWS site in the Texas Panhandle that its coverage map claims has something on the order of a 50 mile radius.  I do not believe that either.

AJ

• Like 1

California's Central Valley footprint, for example, appears to have been off for a long time now, probably since the Ubiquitel days.  While I have not been in the area in years, I honestly do not believe that the highway and rural Sprint sites in that exceedingly flat terrain produce just isolated lily pads of coverage with seemingly only 3-5 mile radii. 

AJ

Once you get out of the upper central valley it's about right since the site spacing once you get out of the UCV is very meh .

NW of Sacramento though is wrong since the only point that is not covered is a single 3G GMO site serving two small towns near Harrington. Other than that one can get almost ubuqitous LTE coverage from all the way south on i5 from Patterson, CA all the way to Redding, CA. 

Some of the coverage map is not accurate -- not overestimating but shortchanging Sprint.

California's Central Valley footprint, for example, appears to have been off for a long time now, probably since the Ubiquitel days. While I have not been in the area in years, I honestly do not believe that the highway and rural Sprint sites in that exceedingly flat terrain produce just isolated lily pads of coverage with seemingly only 3-5 mile radii.

Meanwhile, T-Mobile has an AWS site in the Texas Panhandle that its coverage map claims has something on the order of a 50 mile radius. I do not believe that either.

AJ

It is about right. The lower Central Valley along the i5 is pretty awful. I use to work for ubiquitel. It was a fun little company.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, T-Mobile has an AWS site in the Texas Panhandle that its coverage map claims has something on the order of a 50 mile radius.  I do not believe that either.

AJ

I don't know why it's the case, but it's actually pretty accurate for the Los Banos/Merced/Turlock/Modesto area - on the highways interconnecting those cities. Sprint drops out completely in many areas, and I end up roaming on Cricket's legacy CDMA network (which always makes me wince, Cricket coverage but not Sprint) and sometimes Verizon. I don't know if it's site spacing or an issue with antenna optimization or what, but this is one of the areas that could use new sites or Nextel converts.

Odd that the map still hasn't been updated to show the change to pseudo-native, yet LTE in nTelos land? Madness...  :hah:

• Like 1

I suppose I should get around to updating that map. So little free time these days.I

I'll post another thread with an edited image like the one here once you update yours!

When did that happen?  I just traveled I-70 from Salina to Limon, CO and it was 1x roaming the whole way.  This was on Sunday 17 May 2015.  Can pull my SingalCheck Pro logs for this.

Edited by Cataract2

When did that happen?  I just traveled I-70 from Salina to Limon, CO and it was 1x roaming the whole way.  This was on Sunday 17 May 2015.  Can pull my SingalCheck Pro logs for this.

It is actually EVDO roaming (possibly now native?), however you have to make sure you have it enabled. Sometimes it takes a PRL update, as I've noticed there is a tendency to grab on to Verizon 1x first for some reason, and then eventually changes to NexTech EVDO. If it grabs Verizon 1x, only a PRL update will get it to switch to NexTech.

The Nex-Tech EV-DO network never went away -- it was just removed from the Sprint PRL.  Now, it is back in the PRL.

So, your PRL is out of date, and you need to update it.

AJ

The Nex-Tech EV-DO network never went away -- it was just removed from the Sprint PRL.  Now, it is back in the PRL.

So, your PRL is out of date, and you need to update it.

AJ

My PRL shows 55025.  This is on an HTC One M8.  I certainly ended up on Verizon for a good chunk of the trip.  Verizons connection sucked.

• Like 1

My PRL shows 55025.  This is on an HTC One M8.  I certainly ended up on Verizon for a good chunk of the trip.  Verizons connection sucked.

As I mentioned earlier, last time I drove I-70 from KC to Denver, my brother's M8 ended up on Verizon 1x while my G3 was on NexTech EVDO (roaming). A PRL refresh on the M8 got it to latch onto NexTech EVDO. The PRL didn't necessarily change, but it did force the M8 to move over to NexTech. 

Wait, this is the map from November of last year. We need a map of today's coverage!

And here is an updated map without off-network roaming...

Or at least emphasizing the ON-NETWORK coverage --

Sprint-NOROAM-2015.png?_subject_uid=3865

Edited by grndslm