T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

It's happening (maybe).

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3j8qgd/looks_like_tmobile_is_starting_to_throttle/

Please read the link because the short title does not give the whole story.

Also, here's the first known instance of the tethering crack down

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3j8nm1/just_received_this_message_from_tmobile_so_much/

Geez, I thought the warnings would go out weeks/months from now. Yes, this is similar to the problem my friends had and actually a dispute my company had with AT&T. VPNs were giving what we considered false positives of tethering but we require VPNs for a LOT of our network use on phones so the very real data usage was being masked and therefore popping up on whatever stupid system they use to try and detect this. AT&T backed down because we are owned by a fairly large corporation but I just chatted with one of our IT guys about this over lunch. Talk about topical.

• Like 1

Well, he's stating he's torrenting movies on his phone...so he's abusing the system anyways, even if he's not using smartphone hotspot.

So John just threw out the tethering as a example but he's sweeping across the board it seems like then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The person on Reddit who got the notice from T-Mobile, claims to at most, used 70gb one month on 3g VPN.

The whole thing is getting ridiculous!

I realize many here have differing opinions on what defines "data abuse", and all the terms involved, etc. Yet, its these carriers that need to come to some consensus about over-usage. It is a bit frustrating to see a carrier take out a vague public statement, then go after customers not even violating that public statement. Granted, if the person on Reddit is being honest.

As for me, I'm hoping the Sony Xperia Z4V is available on Verizon in a few days. I was hoping on waiting to get back onto Sprint with the new Sharp device, but I really don't want to keep T-Mobile much longer. I absolutely hate the company.

Hopefully those users don't jump over to Sprint because they're getting thrown on 1GB plans. I hope Sprint does the same thing to them.

This is exactly what I fear will happen. And worse. They'll get in on an unlimited data for life plan.

Sent from my M8

They have a mindset that sprint is crap so let's keep that mindset. Don't come this way.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hopefully those users don't jump over to Sprint because they're getting thrown on 1GB plans. I hope Sprint does the same thing to them.

It is possible they may. I'm not even being targeted, though I can understand the frustration of some of these users. Not the 2TB monthly users, but those being unfairly targeted just for using a VPN. More reason why carriers need to be more upfront on what is allowed and not allowed, and not have a CEO almost always clamoring how great and data strong his network is, and how customers should take advantage of video streaming on his network all they want. Only then to implement a 21gb soft cap and now finding other ways of hunting down legit users among the very few abusers.

The public attention to this, shows it is shady and leads me to believing people on Reddit who are starting to complain of being targeted for normal usage under what John Legere told them they could go ahead and do. These customers likely will take their business elsewhere and likely it'll be Sprint. I think Sprint will be fair to them, meaning the decent customers being targeted currently by John Legere. Regarding those 2TB users, I'm not even sure I believe Legere about that, at this point. He just keeps making himself look like a scam artist liar with his business decisions, he just isn't believable to me.

First they came for the Abusers, Hackers and VPN users, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not an Abuser, Hacker or VPN user.

Then they came for the 100GB+ Users, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a 100GB+ User.

Then they came to prioritize traffic for people using 20GB, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not using 20GB each month.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
  • Like 6

Well, he's stating he's torrenting movies on his phone...so he's abusing the system anyways, even if he's not using smartphone hotspot.

:confused: I read through the posts and it didn't look like anybody admitted to torrenting. Which thread are you referring to?

I used 140 GB last month, and then I got deprioritized.  Do I look like a man who has had all the "unlimited" data he can eat?

AJ

• Like 2

:confused: I read through the posts and it didn't look like anybody admitted to torrenting. Which thread are you referring to?

The OP in the second thread.  He mentioned he was downloading movies through Putlocker.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3j8qgd/looks_like_tmobile_is_starting_to_throttle/

The OP in the second thread.  He mentioned he was downloading movies through Putlocker.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3j8qgd/looks_like_tmobile_is_starting_to_throttle/

Further down MrBamHam specifically asked him if he torrented the movie and he said no. /shrug

And we must keep in mind that abusers are honest people who can be trusted.  They never do anything wrong.  They will always be honest with us.  I think we can take them at their word.

Seriously, though.  Why do we ask abusers what they are doing?  They are being excessive, they feel entitled, they do things in secret to hide their sins...why would we even think they would be honest?  They are going to paint themselves as victims.  We have seen it hundreds of times.  Mean 'ol Johnny is picking on them.  Unlimited should mean unlimited, after all.  Everything I can consume, even if it makes it so no one else can use it.  It's all mine.  I paid for it!!!

• Like 4

First they came for the Abusers, Hackers and VPN users, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not an Abuser, Hacker or VPN user.

Then they came for the 100GB+ Users, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a 100GB+ User.

Then they came to prioritize traffic for people using 20GB, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not using 20GB each month.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Excellent post!

I think there is an unfair push against people using data by companies that offer it at the rate and terms they do it at, which in this case is T-Mobile. I see this becoming more of a problem as 4k streaming comes into place. Already, it seems fairly confirmed the Sony Xperia 5 Premium will have a 4k screen. In that case, T-Mobile will have some problems, as the Sony likely will be compatible on T-Mobile's networks.

A possible solution for John Legere would be to have a flat rate $35 monthly per line for Unlimited Talk and Text, then charge $1 per gb of high-speed data. That would get rid of all the confusion over unlimited and tethering. Then give the option for data sharing, possibly at an additional $10 monthly per line, for those who want it. At least give those options, which have far less confusion than their current plans.

And we must keep in mind that abusers are honest people who can be trusted. They never do anything wrong. They will always be honest with us. I think we can take them at their word.

Seriously, though. Why do we ask abusers what they are doing? They are being excessive, they feel entitled, they do things in secret to hide their sins...why would we even think they would be honest? They are going to paint themselves as victims. We have seen it hundreds of times. Mean 'ol Johnny is picking on them. Unlimited should mean unlimited, after all. Everything I can consume, even if it makes it so no one else can use it. It's all mine. I paid for it!!!

If only John Legere were honest about his network and not encouraging the abuse. Yet, he encouraged it, right along with criticizing his competition (particularly Sprint) for not being able to provide what his network could. He made music streaming free, speedtests free, and went right along telling people they could stream to their hearts content.

I'll feel bad for the TM abusers way before feeling badly for John Legere. Though I suspect much of John Legere's claims of this to be a farce.

• Like 3

If only John Legere were honest about his network and not encouraging the abuse. Yet, he encouraged it, right along with criticizing his competition (particularly Sprint) for not being able to provide what his network could. He made music streaming free, speedtests free, and went right along telling people they could stream to their hearts content.

I'll feel bad for the TM abusers way before feeling badly for John Legere. Though I suspect much of John Legere's claims of this to be a farce.

It's like the car salesman that sells you on a speedy car, but you won't ever get to drive it faster than 75 on a highway...Legally, at least.. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It's like the car salesman that sells you on a speedy car, but you won't ever get to drive it faster than 75 on a highway...Legally, at least.. :rolleyes:

John Legere is so shady that if he were a car salesman promising a speedy car, he'd likely even offer to pay the speeding ticket if his clients ever got busted. Then when they show up at the dealership to collect, he tries to run away and hide until his boss catches up to him, then John Legere denies ever offering such a deal.

• Like 2

And we must keep in mind that abusers are honest people who can be trusted. They never do anything wrong. They will always be honest with us. I think we can take them at their word.

Seriously, though. Why do we ask abusers what they are doing? They are being excessive, they feel entitled, they do things in secret to hide their sins...why would we even think they would be honest? They are going to paint themselves as victims. We have seen it hundreds of times. Mean 'ol Johnny is picking on them. Unlimited should mean unlimited, after all. Everything I can consume, even if it makes it so no one else can use it. It's all mine. I paid for it!!!

Well, can you define "abuser"? Because T-Mobile sure didn't. At what data threshold does one become an abuser? I cannot blame the users if T-Mobile was being very gray about this entire thing. First it was Unlimited, then tiered, then back to truly Unlimited, then soft cap on congested areas at 21 GB, and now....we'll, who knows. T-Mobile still hasn't fully released a specific set of standards on what defines an 'abuser', so until they do this, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I've used up to 400 GB in one month over WiFi, so I can easily see some people doing the same over cellular in places with no ISPs. They wouldn't be abusers under the vague T-Mobile rules they had, especially if their towers were uncongested.

• Like 2

Well, can you define "abuser"? Because T-Mobile sure didn't. At what data threshold does one become an abuser? I cannot blame the users if T-Mobile was being very gray about this entire thing. First it was Unlimited, then tiered, then back to truly Unlimited, then soft cap on congested areas at 21 GB, and now....we'll, who knows. T-Mobile still hasn't fully released a specific set of standards on what defines an 'abuser', so until they do this, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I've used up to 400 GB in one month over WiFi, so I can easily see some people doing the same over cellular in places with no ISPs. They wouldn't be abusers under the vague T-Mobile rules they had, especially if their towers were uncongested.

Why do you care what I define as an abuser?  I don't set policy.  And John Legere doesn't care what I think.  It's his definition that matters here.  It is the subject at hand.  And Legere says customers can use unlimited amounts of data when used on their smartphones, but when they are tethering beyond their allotments and masking their actions, that's abuse.  So it is the people who he is deeming as abusive that I am referring.  Let's not make this about me.

• Like 2

They have a mindset that sprint is crap so let's keep that mindset. Don't come this way.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yeah they'll probably say that throttled TM is faster than Sprint.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

For the most part they have, they defined what you couldn't do, p2p, hide tethering etc in the TOS. What does seem to be iffy is hitting people who use vpn's or modify their apn. I've done both at times, the vpn for getting into my home network and the apn to force an ipv4 address as frequently the ipv6 address borks ftp connections. I didn't mind the 21gb soft cap, I don't mind them clamping down on people bypassing tethering but they need to be careful not to target legitimate uses. 

Legere states we can use netflix all day long every day and if you arent on a congested tower you wont even be deprioratized, but if they start banhammering folks for legitimate use thats light then they will likely lose customers, and decent ones at that. 

As for the 2TB comments, that actually came from some muppet on HF who actually complained his unlimited connection stopped at 2TB. So there is at least one chump out there who did abuse the network that much, although most abuse is probably in the hundreds of GB  \ typical home isp range.  Seriously 2TB, that is a lot of fapping...