HughesNet?

DanielB

Hi all! Not sure where to post this - so posting here. :) Anyway, anyone here ever have any experience with HughesNet's satellite Internet service? Is it as fast as they claim? We are so tired of Comcast, just looking at potential ways to terminate our Comcast relationship. :)

Do not I repeat do not get hughsnet unless its all that is avail... You will smack yourself. Trust me on that one. Their data caps are horrid. And they overcharge. Plus you have to sign a contract as well. Its pretty fast at first then comes the 10gig data cap... I'd suggest you stick with Comcast. Plus on cloudy/stormy days you lose connectivity all the time.

• Like 2

Id rather go back to dialup than go with satellite internet. It has improved some from what I hear. But oings are really high, as well as prices, and data caps.

• Like 1

Any latency-sensitive application (such as multiplayer gaming or VoIP) will not work well with any service whose pings are over 100ms, as is always the case with satellite.

Comcast doesn't have a usage cap in most of their markets, but even in those that do, it's still significantly greater than what you'll be able to get with satellite.

Satellite is only an option that should be considered by those in rural areas who are unfortunate enough to not have access to either a wired ISP (DSL, cable, or fiber) or a WISP. They get to pick their poison between dial-up (slow as molasses, but typically better pings) and satellite (decent bandwidth, but low usage cap, and reliability that varies with the weather).

If price is the issue, you're better off repeatedly calling their Retention department until you find a rep who will give you a promotion you like. If that somehow fails, then follow through with canceling and rely on 3G/4G for just long enough for them to send an offer in the mail begging you to come back, which usually takes less than a month.

• Like 1

I had Hughes net for 29 day's. I would do without if that's your only choice. Stay with Comcast I wish Comcast was a option for me but for me it's either dial-up or low cap wireless. Verizon wireless is the only 4g option at my house.

• 3 weeks later...

I had hughes net for about 25 days.  Luckily a WISP came in and rescued me.  The high costs coupled with the caps and the speeds before were awful.  I too am waiting for the day that I can get DSL/cable.  I am only about 5-10 miles outside of town but don't see anything coming my way so I am sticking with my WISP

I had hughes net for about 25 days. Luckily a WISP came in and rescued me. The high costs coupled with the caps and the speeds before were awful. I too am waiting for the day that I can get DSL/cable. I am only about 5-10 miles outside of town but don't see anything coming my way so I am sticking with my WISP

How do you find a wisp?

How do you find a wisp?

You do not find a wisp.  The wisps find you...

AJ

• Like 1

How do you find a wisp?

Whenever I saw a truck for a company that said they did internet, I would go home and look them up.  The first one was a newer startup and the guy stopped by our house.  It was awful as soon as they had customers.  Speeds were slow. The new one I have is better but still not perfect.