Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

many of the sites are atill stuck running older Clear equipment not capable of working with newer radio equipment, nor can it work with some of newer LTE technologies present on the Sprint sites that have the newer radio equipment, which to further the problem for Sprint, is that many of the Sprint sites do not have this equipment.

That was a long post, I only want to address your comment on Clear sites. The vast majority (all?) of Clear sites still on air are running 2xCA B41, and I've seen some of the best results (130-140Mbps) from Clear sites in the KC area. Clear sites that did not support 2xCA have been replaced with Nokia mini-macros. These sites are still providing beneficial coverage for the network. I do not feel this is a major issue for Sprint to address at this point in time.

As additional capacity is required (3 or more carriers), they'll be replaced with Sprint equipment. Right now Sprint needs to focus on getting B41 on more sites, and increasing capacity through small cells. Not replacing already functional sites.

Sent from my LG G5

• Like 2

That was a long post, I only want to address your comment on Clear sites. The vast majority (all?) of Clear sites still on air are running 2xCA B41, and I've seen some of the best results (130-140Mbps) from Clear sites in the KC area. Clear sites that did not support 2xCA have been replaced with Nokia mini-macros. These sites are still providing beneficial coverage for the network. I do not feel this is a major issue for Sprint to address at this point in time.

As additional capacity is required (3 or more carriers), they'll be replaced with Sprint equipment. Right now Sprint needs to focus on getting B41 on more sites, and increasing capacity through small cells. Not replacing already functional sites.

Sent from my LG G5

do you think that the new mini macros have to be replaced. On clear conversions when more carriers are needed or could they put up more mini macs on the site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go back and listen to the quarterly reports. They said again and again that the new network cost less and that was why CAPEX was lowered. Only in the last one did they change their story and they continued to mislead people on the subject of their small cell roll out.

I listened to the call... and sprint said the cause for the lower capex was they couldn't get enough permit approvals. That would go up this year as more sites get approvals

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

When Sprint does VoLTE, and markets come to a point they can be supported by a single 1x carrier, do we think they will shut down 1x/EVDO on PCS and have just a single 1x800 carrier? So EVDO will be more phased out market by market, or do we think they will do a tandom 1x/EVDO shutdown across SMR/PCS?

Also, do we know/can expect if Sprint will do 4x4MIMO on EBS/BRS this year? 

When Sprint does VoLTE, and markets come to a point they can be supported by a single 1x carrier, do we think they will shut down 1x/EVDO on PCS and have just a single 1x800 carrier? So EVDO will be more phased out market by market, or do we think they will do a tandom 1x/EVDO shutdown across SMR/PCS?

Also, do we know/can expect if Sprint will do 4x4MIMO on EBS/BRS this year?

I'm just hoping they get the VoLTE very soon or they will be losing a lot of customers. At least do the simultaneous voice and data like all the other 3 national carriers

• Like 2

I wonder if Sprint also turned on LTE roaming for other unlocked phones (Moto G4, Moto X, Nexus 6/5x/6P)? Not adding LTE roaming support for devices that have the ability to do so would be a very "Sprint" thing to do at this point.

But then again, Sprint does seem to neglect support for BYOD devices more so than their competitors. Everytime I call Sprint to switch between my Nexus and iPhone, I am always told the Nexus isn't supported and that I am eligible for an upgrade (drives me insane!). It usually takes a supervisor to get the device activated again. Why can't they just allow a simple SIM swap??? It's possible with the new SIM kits. This added later of having to call and deal with customer service is a waste of my time and their money.

(Before I am bombarded with "you should do it online" comments, I can't. Everytime I try to activate a phone I automatically get a page telling me to start a chat. It won't even let me attempt to choose from old phones or enter an MEID. Sprint's customer service has really gone to shit and their website only got cosmetic upgrades, not functionality upgrades)

On postpaid Sprint has good BYOD if it does supports CDMA bandclasses and, their LTE bands. On prepaid that's another story.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

I'm just hoping they get the VoLTE very soon or they will be losing a lot of customers. At least do the simultaneous voice and data like all the other 3 national carriers

After reading through the T-Mobile threads about how bad volte sometimes is, im totally fine with waiting until sprint is confident it's ready.
  • Like 3

After reading through the T-Mobile threads about how bad volte sometimes is, im totally fine with waiting until sprint is confident it's ready.

Ya I agree... well at least send out a carrier settings update allowing for simultaneous voice and data then like what The other carriers have

• Like 1

Ya I agree... well at least send out a carrier settings update allowing for simultaneous voice and data then like what The other carriers have

T-Mobile is GSM I though there was fallback from VOLTE? Or they just not as reliable as at&t.

do you think that the new mini macros have to be replaced. On clear conversions when more carriers are needed or could they put up more mini macs on the site?

I'm not entirely sure if that would work or not. I don't think it would, but I can't say for certain. I expect the route would be to replace the mini-macros with 8T8R equipment as needed.

Sent from my LG G5

Yeah, VoLTE hasn't helped their talk scores on rootmetrics.  However, ATT/VZW have had greater success with their deployment.

Anywhere one gets wifi (home, work, school, gym...Most everywhere), one does have simultaneous voice and data. And no one needs to be browsing the web and conducting a voice call while operating a motor vehicle (the only place one likely does not have wifi). So I absolutely do not get why this would be a deal breaker for anyone.
  • Like 3

Anywhere one gets wifi (home, work, school, gym...Most everywhere), one does have simultaneous voice and data. And no one needs to be browsing the web and conducting a voice call while operating a motor vehicle (the only place one likely does not have wifi). So I absolutely do not get why this would be a deal breaker for anyone.

If you're a passenger in a motor vehicle, a pedestrian, etc

• Like 3

Yes you can talk and surf over wifi. No wifi at my Gym to. Home and, work I do. My data usage is Lower cause of work wifi.

If you're a passenger in a motor vehicle, a pedestrian, etc

There is no carrier settings update that can be sent out to allow simultaneous voice and data. Existing devices that are hardware capable would need to be recertified and new firmware pushed once VoLTE went live. You could always use an older device like the HTC Evo LTE if you absolutely need voice and LTE/evdo data at the same time, or use an over the top solution like Google Voice, Hangouts, Facebook etc.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

The only scenario where no simultaneous voice and data frustrates me is mms not working over wifi. When I'm at home, on wifi, I can do anything I want when I'm talking on the phone except send or receive MMS. Thankfully there is FB Messenger (aka the devil) or email for sending or receiving pics.

The only scenario where no simultaneous voice and data frustrates me is mms not working over wifi. When I'm at home, on wifi, I can do anything I want when I'm talking on the phone except send or receive MMS. Thankfully there is FB Messenger (aka the devil) or email for sending or receiving pics.

Weird I don't have that problem.

Weird I don't have that problem.

Depends on the phone and Texting app. Textra allows you to route MMS over wifi instead of mobile data on most phones, but you lose RCS. Google Messenger app doesn't allow MMS over Wifi (or at least there's no option).

Depends on the phone and Texting app. Textra allows you to route MMS over wifi instead of mobile data on most phones, but you lose RCS. Google Messenger app doesn't allow MMS over Wifi (or at least there's no option).

Isn't it carrier-dependent as well? I didn't think Sprint supported MMS over Wi-Fi period. I use Textra, so I'll try enabling that. I'm using a Nexus 5X.

Isn't it carrier-dependent as well? I didn't think Sprint supported MMS over Wi-Fi period. I use Textra, so I'll try enabling that. I'm using a Nexus 5X.

It used to work well on Galaxy S5. Never tried it on my Nexus because Google Messenger has become so much smoother and Textra has a glitch on MMS where the phone gets stuck trying to resize images/videos.