Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I wonder why people aren't using wifi as much.

data caps on home wifi is a big one for me. My home internet is capped at 250Gb. I am a gamer so having 15gb updates take up a lot of that. It is sad that the internet is getting capped every place now. I think that could be a good reason why sprint and T-Mobile will continue adding subscribers. As long as their networks aren't garbage, then people will flood to them once caps are enforced on their home internet.

• Like 3

Wifi is often overloaded and, in my experience, incredibly slow, often to the point of being entirely useless. Even in my apartment my Sprint b41 connection yields 50 - 70 Mbps while wifi is often crawling but still usable. That said, I remain on my wifi and refuse to hog Sprint's bandwidth when I don't need to. So should everyone else so long as wi-fi is still usable.

• Like 5

It used to work well on Galaxy S5. Never tried it on my Nexus because Google Messenger has become so much smoother and Textra has a glitch on MMS where the phone gets stuck trying to resize images/videos.

Get this. I was talking to a friend today telling him about this, and he sent me an MMS while we were talking (he uses ATT). I got a Textra error notification after a while saying it couldn't download an MMS. Then I went into settings and re-enabled prefer wifi. And what do you know, a few minutes later it downloaded the picture! That's awesome if it doesn't cause issues when I'm not on wifi.

Get this. I was talking to a friend today telling him about this, and he sent me an MMS while we were talking (he uses ATT). I got a Textra error notification after a while saying it couldn't download an MMS. Then I went into settings and re-enabled prefer wifi. And what do you know, a few minutes later it downloaded the picture! That's awesome if it doesn't cause issues when I'm not on wifi.

It is awesome, yet sad, that we can use third party apps to enable simultaneous talk and MMS, even if it is just via wifi.

Just a heads up though. My Nexus 5x was acting up with Textra. If an image or gif had to be resized, Textra would get stuck trying to send it and MMS wouldn't work until the hiccup corrected itself. It's the only reason why I left textra and started using Google Messenger. Now that Google Keyboard has native support for GIFs and Android 7.0 allows quick reply, I don't miss Textra.

• Like 1

Its surprising to me just how bad some public wifi really is. Every so often when there is work going on around the townhouse I stay at, I sometimes neeed to leave because the work is loud and/or distracting in some way where it puts my health at risk from falling, due either to a sudden loud noise, or shaking of the floors, etc.

When this happens, I need to leave home for a hotel, where I stay at nice $149-$300 a night hotels, to ensure my safety. I'd say this happens about 4-6 times every year, so it isn't too much, yet it frustrates me my health is so bad that this even is necessary.

However, when I do leave home which my mother takes me to these hotrls I stay in two-room suites she stays with me during this time, yet she still leaves to run errands. It is crucial for me to have working internet. Yet, even at these nice hotels, often get no more than a few mbps, if even that. I've ended up having to connect my smartphone via usb tethering using my AT&T Unlimited Data plan, which works great, but of course I use a lot of data during these stays, as I'm not at home connected to Uverse.

Optimally, 1.5mbps is good for 360p. I found a link to an article containing some really good charts showing what I believe is fairly accurate information.

http://www.lighterra.com/papers/videoencodingh264

Their info of 480p HQ is listed at 2.5mbps. I'd say best is 3.0mbps. I use to believe 3.0mbps was good for 1080p, which while its generally sufficient, its not optimal. No, My opinion is 360p at 1.5mbps, 480p at 3.0mbps, 720p at 6.0mbps, 1080p at 9.0mbps, 1440p at 12.0mbps, and 2160p at 18.0mbps.

That website is making some general suggestions about bitrates for resolutions. Even within the h264 codec ecosystem there are encoders which can produce significantly better results at a lower bitrate than others. Netflix spent a fortune (literally buying companies) on their h264 encoding. It saved them money by being able to offer the same experience for less mbps used. 480 with a decent encoder is more than possible at 1.5mbps, 720p is even reasonable in many use cases at 1.5mbps with  a sufficiently advanced encoder. h265 should improve on this some more, especially as the encoders become more advanced. I don't think it unrealistic to see 1080p at around 2mbps and maybe even 1.5mbps as the encoders improve. 

• Like 1

Well I just saw this on Marcelo 's Twitter feed, Sprint is now 1/3rd owner into Tidal, probably see it come up on Sprint News later. Talking about something coming out of left field.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

That website is making some general suggestions about bitrates for resolutions. Even within the h264 codec ecosystem there are encoders which can produce significantly better results at a lower bitrate than others. Netflix spent a fortune (literally buying companies) on their h264 encoding. It saved them money by being able to offer the same experience for less mbps used. 480 with a decent encoder is more than possible at 1.5mbps, 720p is even reasonable in many use cases at 1.5mbps with a sufficiently advanced encoder. h265 should improve on this some more, especially as the encoders become more advanced. I don't think it unrealistic to see 1080p at around 2mbps and maybe even 1.5mbps as the encoders improve.

I was surprised by the differing opinions I found when doing a search about what people think are the best workable streaming speeds based by resolution. There certainly are different factors based on the encoding, the quality of the video itself besides the resolution, etc.

Through reading these, which I chose that particular site for its extensiveness, despite it missing 4k information, and figuring out the numbers I would use as a basis for my streaming speed cap ideas, I came to these conclusions as I believe they would make for fair streaming speed caps based on moderate to high quality streaming content, not lower quality or even standard quality.

Many people thought the past T-Mobile Uncarrier announcement was going to feature a streaming speed increase implementation from the current streaming speed at 1.5mbps. I believe the next Uncarrier could feature the announcement of this, since T-Mobile now has taxes included in its plans, which was the popular idea back when T-Mobile decided to announce Binge-On.

If T-Mobile increases the streaming speed, I believe it is likely to go up to 3mbps. In a move to balance the increased network load such an increase would cause, as Binge-On certainly has resulted in plenty of added toll to T-Mobile's network, I also believe T-Mobile might make that an across-the-board speedcap, not just a speedcap on streaming, but every form of online usage. This likely will replace the T-Mobile One Plan as it is currently, while the Premium upgrade would offer daily passes for unlimited high-speed data, in a form similar to what the current HD Daily Passes do.

If T-Mobile does this as I expect them to do, I imagine Sprint will follow with a similar deal that likely would remove the current audio streaming speed limits that I despise very much, despite still being at the 3mbps speed limit on the main, non-premium plan, unlimited speed when day pass is in effect. It'll also be interesting if Sprint uses the included fees and taxes in with their plans just as how T-Mobile has done with theirs.

• Like 1

Let's see what kind of a offer we are able to get for Tidal. I would gladly sign up for the service. I used it in the past but wasn't sold on it so maybe just maybe I'll be sold on it now. If the price is right. But wow 33% owner?? My question is was this 100% Sprint or is SB behind it?

Allegedly Tidal is worth 600mil. This could be situation where Sprint user are offered the service at a cheaper rate which then increases subs for Tidal and Sprint could recoup their investment and then some back.

It's too early to tell. I need more info on this partnership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1/ Big partnership news! Today, @Sprint is acquiring 33% of @TIDALHiFi bit.ly/2jT9Gyohttp://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-acquires-33-percent-of-tidal-and-creates-game-changing-partnership.htm?linkId=33676352

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint would have been better off doing either of the following with the $200 Million it sunk into Tidal:

Put the $200 Million into CapEx

Or

Pay off $200 Million of Debt

This investment defies explanation and in my opinion is a total waste of money.

• Like 9

The earnings next Tuesday will tell the whole story. Whether Sprint is confident to actually spend money again or this could be a reckless spend.

However, the $200 million is actually a good bargain for 3 million users and the company is worth at 600 million.  If they were later sold to another company for 2 billion or more, this will be a prudent investment by Sprint and Marcelo. 

• Like 3

However, the $200 million is actually a good bargain for 3 million users and the company is worth at 600 million.  If they were later sold to another company for 2 billion or more, this will be a prudent investment by Sprint and Marcelo. 

That 3 million number is reportedly inflated and the actual number could be closer to 1 million.

• Like 2

Sprint Coverage Map was updated (1/21/2017):

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

The maps are very unreliable. Texas has some squares (literally) of LTE plus, but I know for a fact that B41 doesn't reach that far. LTE plus coverage is very deceitful. Voice seems to be the only honest coverage on that map. It's almost dead on accurate.
  • Like 1

If Tidal ever sells to a company like Apple, it'll be a big payday for Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I think Sprint ought to do this as soon as it can, dince its a really good idea to make a quick major influx of cash and give Apple a great start into something I've read about lately regarding Apple's interest into possible exploring the idea of HD music streaming.

Besides this purpose, I don't understand why else Sprint did this. Despite my being a supporter of HD music streaming, I'm not particularly fond of Tidal itself, though I still use it as its the only HD music streaming service currently available here in the U.S., other than Deezer, but Deezer limits HD music streaming to the Sonos platform, not available through Android.

Also, Sprint will need to have some sort of exception given to Tidal for Sprint customers, as non-Premium Unlimited Freedom subscribers won't be able to stream Tidal HiFi, due to the ridiculous, totally unnecessary speed cap on audio streaming. So much for the "Freedom" part, unless you're "Premium".