Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Discounting the device itself is fine and happens all the time to push particular products for various reasons. But they're not doing that. They're discounting the cellular service which has nothing to do with the device.

Bro I seriously don't know how any one can help you with this. You seemed determined to believe Sprint is some how penalizing you and that is not the case. The plan is 60 dollars, they are offering a promotional discount if you buy the phone they want you to buy. If you buy a different phone you pay the regular price of the plan. If the plan price was 50 and they charge you 60 (all else being equal) to go with the phone you want then you would have a case for being penalized but that is not what is happening. My car example is perfect, if the dealership is offering 1000 rebate off one model and not the other no one in their right mind would say the dealership is penalizing you for going with the car you want. They simply don't have the rebate offer on the car you want.

But hey I guess some people need to be consumer martyrs.

• Like 3

Bro I seriously don't know how any one can help you with this. You seemed determined to believe Sprint is some how penalizing you and that is not the case. The plan is 60 dollars, they are offering a promotional discount if you buy the phone they want you to buy. If you buy a different phone you pay the regular price of the plan. If the plan price was 50 and they charge you 60 (all else being equal) to go with the phone you want then you would have a case for being penalized but that is not what is happening. My car example is perfect, if the dealership is offering 1000 rebate off one model and not the other no one in their right mind would say the dealership is penalizing you for going with the car you want. They simply don't have the rebate offer on the car you want.

But hey I guess some people need to be consumer martyrs.

I'm not a consumer martyr and I'm not a Sprint basher.  You also didn't address my counter-argument to yours at all.

Also, your car analogy is flawed because it wouldn't be a discount on the car, it would be a discount on the gasoline you're using to drive it for the rest of the vehicle's life.

Here's a silly analogy to illustrate my point:  Let's say Wal-Mart started a new promotion along the lines of "For a limited time, Republicans get 20% off their purchases."

Would you guys still be making the following arguments?

• It's perfectly fine.  It's not a fee for Democrats, it's a discount for Republicans.  Look at the phrasing!  It's not punishing Democrats, it's simply different prices for different political parties.
  • This is justified because it will bring in more Republican customers to Wal-Mart.  Wal-Mart can make a lot of money with this!
  • This is fine because it's a limited time only.
  • Republicans are more loyal to their retail stores, so this makes sense

We're not talking about a military veteran or student discount here.  It's iPhone vs. Android.

I think it would be more like Walmart offering a discount on BallPark franks but not Nathan's.  Maybe they are getting a better deal or more incentive with Ball Park.  This kind of stuff happens all the time.  It's a sale on one product.  Or like going to the Chevy dealer when you hear about the $5,000 factory rebate on all Chevys for model year closeout.  But you get there and find out it doesn't apply to Suburbans.  But you wanted a Suburban.  Such is life.

Sprint has an incentive to move more iPhones.  Also, since this is a lease deal, value on returned devices is critical.  And it is definitely true that iPhones hold their value more.  If Sprint can find a way to make money on expanding this plan to non iPhone devices, don't worry.  They'll do it.

• Like 4

I think it would be more like Walmart offering a discount on BallPark franks but not Nathan's.  Maybe they are getting a better deal or more incentive with Ball Park.  This kind of stuff happens all the time.  It's a sale on one product.  Or like going to the Chevy dealer when you hear about the $5,000 factory rebate on all Chevys for model year closeout.  But you get there and find out it doesn't apply to Suburbans.  But you wanted a Suburban.  Such is life.

Sprint has an incentive to move more iPhones.  Also, since this is a lease deal, value on returned devices is critical.  And it is definitely true that iPhones hold their value more.  If Sprint can find a way to make money on expanding this plan to non iPhone devices, don't worry.  They'll do it.

But your analogy has the same flaw as utiz4321's that I mentioned before.  They're not discounting the product in question directly, but rather discounting a service that goes along with it.  That may seem like nitpicking, but it's actually a crucial difference and the crux of my argument.

I'm not even personally affected by this since I don't use an unlimited plan, but I object to its principle.

• Like 1

But your analogy has the same flaw as utiz4321's that I mentioned before.  They're not discounting the product in question directly, but rather discounting a service that goes along with it.  That may seem like nitpicking, but it's actually a crucial difference and the crux of my argument.

I'm not even personally affected by this since I don't use an unlimited plan, but I object to its principle.

Goods or services...it does not matter.  I bet I pay a different DirecTV rate than everyone else here.  And it's a service.  I'm not even an iPhone user and this does not bother me one iota.  And if I want to participate, I can buy an iPhone.  Or a Ball Park frank.  Or a Tahoe instead of a Suburban.  Maybe the Ford dealer has an even better deal?  It's just the free market.

If this is a problem for Sprint, they'll see it in Android user churn when they cite one iPhone plan is cheaper and it's unfair.  But that's not going to happen.

I also don't think many Android users are interested in leasing their devices from Sprint for a fee and giving it back.  It's quite a different demographic in many ways.

• Like 5

But it's not so simple.  From my perspective it's penalizing Android users, punishing 50% of Sprint customers with a 20% "Android tax", even though the device should be completely decoupled from the service in a fair world.

It's a bonus deal/limited time offer, no different that Verizon giving a free iPhone 6 when trading in.

really sprint is screwing themselves even more than android customers.

there does not appear to be any term limits to the 'discount' which is in fact not a discount, but a *completely separate plan*.

So instead of discounting the DEVICE, they are 'discounting' the service, which is a recurring discount for the period that the customer is using an iphone device.

If they would have discounted the device, it would have been a fixed cost. However with the SERVICE discount, they are losing $10 a month per customer essentially forever or as long as they keep an iphone.

The fact that customers with android devices can not get the same plan or 'discount', is the very definition of discrimination.

If were a racial discount, people would be up with pitchforks & witches stakes.

• Like 1

really sprint is screwing themselves even more than android customers.

there does not appear to be any term limits to the 'discount' which is in fact not a discount, but a *completely separate plan*.

So instead of discounting the DEVICE, they are 'discounting' the service, which is a recurring discount for the period that the customer is using an iphone device.

If they would have discounted the device, it would have been a fixed cost. However with the SERVICE discount, they are losing $10 a month per customer essentially forever or as long as they keep an iphone.

The fact that customers with android devices can not get the same plan or 'discount', is the very definition of discrimination.

If were a racial discount, people would be up with pitchforks & witches stakes.

Okay, I will make a deal with you and I say this as a Nexus 5 user: 

You get all Android users to be more loyal to their current carrier and match the staying power of iPhone users and then Sprint can drop your bill $10 a month. Otherwise you are a HIGHER COST customer because as an Android user you tend to have higher churn. 

I don't have a problem with this at all because a more apt comparison is Soft(Bank, get it?) is giving iPhone users a better deal based on the lower level of risk much like an actual bank does for people with higher credit ratings when they need a mortgage. 

On the other hand, if you don't like it you can always buy a Nexus 5 for $349 (14.5/mo over 24 months) and pay $60/mo. For $74.50 you are paying less than an easypay iphone user and also own your phone at the end of 2 years. Oh and employer discounts also apply to your plan unlike the iPhone plan so @25% discount you would pay $22.5 ($30x.75)+ $30 for talk and text portion + $14.5 = $67/mo which is LESS than an iPhone for life plan!

• Like 3

Can someone else confirm that new customers can't get a iPhone on the regular $60 plan?

Both the main & my school's discount website only allow purchase with the $50 plan. Personally, I wouldn't keep a phone for longer than a few months & with the discount, It'll be cheaper to get the $60 plan. 

Okay, I will make a deal with you and I say this as a Nexus 5 user: 

You get all Android users to be more loyal to their current carrier and match the staying power of iPhone users and then Sprint can drop your bill $10 a month. Otherwise you are a HIGHER COST customer because as an Android user you tend to have higher churn. 

Wow talk about generalizations.

So, instead of making all 'higher cost' customers pay more for service, you want to generalize the entire android userbase as higher cost and less loyal, and not worth of the same 'discount', based simply on the OS of a phone?

It isn't a generalization though. The fact that iPhone users are more loyal to their carrier as a whole has been documented a few times. I'm on mobile right now so googling it is kind of a pain but I thought it was common knowledge just like how iPhone users spend more on accessories and apps.

Drawing in higher spend customers with discounts is fine by me. The $60 unlimited plan is still the best in the entire industry, right?

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the case anymore. But in the past, iPhones also use less carrier data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can agree with this still. In all the time I was using an iPhone I was going up to 4 gigs MAX and then the month I switched to my Nexus 5 I used 9 gigs of data without even realizing it. That may change with the iPhone 6's larger screen though. 

• Like 1

iPhones are unique in the way they hold their value. And since Sprint gets these phones back and can monetize that, it's enough to make the difference right there.

EDIT: In some ways, it's like the next device owner is paying the $10 a month difference for you. Because they are the ones driving up the cost on iPhone resale.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You all are comparing paying for a car (phone) as to compared to paying for service.  Two different things. I choose and pick my car(phone) by my needs and what I can afford. If you give me money off or a rebate for a certain car (phone) great!.  But I should not be taxed more for roads, if I'm driving a  different style of car (phone) going the same places on the same roads. Why should I be penalized for access to the road just because I a Honda civic instead a Ford Focus?

• Like 2

iPhones are unique in the way they hold their value. And since Sprint gets these phones back and can monetize that, it's enough to make the difference right there.

EDIT: In some ways, it's like the next device owner is paying the $10 a month difference for you. Because they are the ones driving up the cost on iPhone resale.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I sold my iPhone 5S on eBay, carrier unlocked by Sprint for International use, for $600.

$600.

Thanks, random Japanese guy. Thank you so, so much.

• Like 9

I don't think anyone would care if sprint had discounted the iphone 6 anywhere from $100 to $150, which more than likely would have done a much better job of bring in new customers and keeping old ones.

The discount would have been on the device, not the service.

So now, not only is there disparity in service prices for the EXACT SAME SERVICE, for different devices of the same class (I can hope we can all agree that iphones and androids are of the same class), but now sprint is actually out at least $240+ (2+ years recurring cost) instead of a fixed device 1 time only cost.

Heck, all this talking about the cost/savings over time, makes me want to get an iphone without even waiting for the next nexus or better device.

Drawing in higher spend customers with discounts is fine by me. The $60 unlimited plan is still the best in the entire industry, right?

Uhm, no the obviously cheaper $50 unlimited plan is, which android users can not get.

Enough! 

If you want an Android and are pissed off at Sprint for charging you too much, find a better plan on another carrier and LEAVE! 

If you want to pay less and stay on Sprint,  get an iPhone! 

This discussion has become ridiculous. Sprint is participating in a free market.  They are free to set prices wherever they want. You are participating in a free market.  You are free to buy whatever phone/plan that is your best fit.  If it ain't on Sprint,  so be it. 

So stop whining.  I have multiple Androids.  Other family members have iPhones. We are all on Sprint. We are happy.  We are tired of your bitching. 

• Like 20

I don't see why people are so pissy about this. It's 10 bucks. Seriously, that's not something to get your panties in a wad for. That's 240 bucks over 2 years. Most of you will spend more than that just on the phone you're going to get.

I'm seeing the same people complaining about this discount that were complaining about how they won't switch to the new plans because it would only save them 10 bucks or so. Now you're all up in arms about an iPhone user saving 10 bucks a month? Seriously? Get over it. Go to McDonald's one less time a month and there's your cost savings right there. Move on.

-Anthony

• Like 12

You guys can bitch and moan all you want but the public loves it. Im personally doing 80% of my iphone sales on iphone for life. I can count on my hands how many 2 year contract iphone 6s ive sold and i work in a top 200 A store. Plus Ive not heard one person complain about a price break,in stead they are excited. Im switching over tons of ATT and Verizon people because sprint is giving them an iphone for zero dollars today and again every 2 years another for zero down and the plan is $70 which is about a $30ish price break and they dont have to shell out $200 up front.

• Like 15

If Sprint offered the same plan for Android phones, they would have to charge more than $50. Because the phones would be worth less when they are turned back in. If Android phones were worth more after 2 years, they could do the same thing. Sprint is not going to additionally subsidize Android phones loss in value. It's not going to happen.

• Like 8

Enough!

If you want an Android and are pissed off at Sprint for charging you too much, find a better plan on another carrier and LEAVE!

If you want to pay less and stay on Sprint, get an iPhone!

This discussion has become ridiculous. Sprint is participating in a free market. They are free to set prices wherever they want. You are participating in a free market. You are free to buy whatever phone/plan that is your best fit. If it ain't on Sprint, so be it.

So stop whining. I have multiple Androids. Other family members have iPhones. We are all on Sprint. We are happy. We are tired of your bitching.

On the other hand, if you don't want to discuss Sprint pricing changes in this extremely relevant thread on a Sprint-oriented message board, then maybe you should be the one leaving [emoji1]

I guess nobody should bring up any points that might be critical of their policies, and we should just quietly leave? Sigh..

• Like 1