Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Does it matter if the iPhone for life plan is a good deal for the consumer or not?

It certainly sounds like a great deal with always getting a new iPhone. There are many consumers not savvy enough to sell it on eBay after. Why do you think carriers offer comparatively poor trade in credits on old phones?

Heck, they should offer a new iPhone every year plan for an appropriate price! The most recent iPhone models are still worth quite a bit.

Also do this for the S6 when it comes out.

It's simple for the customer, and that's what Sprint needs. 

If I was shopping for a new iPhone, and saw that deal, I would jump all over it. It's simple, predicable, and priced right.

- $70 a month, simple

- new iPhone every two years, simple

What's the issue?

• Like 5

It's simple for the customer, and that's what Sprint needs.

If I was shopping for a new iPhone, and saw that deal, I would jump all over it. It's simple, predicable, and priced right.

- $70 a month, simple

- new iPhone every two years, simple

What's the issue?

Half my preorders were iphone for life. People seem to like the idea if they are approved for the zero down.
  • Like 9

im not seeing a "add on" for $30 ( i have 100 (20gb), then 6 $15 access charges, then tax's (also discount))

I just switched over as of Sat. I have 6 lines as well with 20gb, $15 per line plus the base $100. No other charges. My total space is showing 42gb! I plan to not try using that extra 10gb though!

Half my preorders were iphone for life. People seem to like the idea if they are approved for the zero down.

And that's my point. 

I am personally very financially sound, and make enough for a decent living. I equate the iPhone for Life plan to leasing a new car. I may not want a car for more than two years, so I had the option to upgrade my car every two years, without changing my pricing, it would be perfect.

• Like 3

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.  On friday I upgraded my Wife's line to the iPhone 6 and did the iPhone for Life lease.  We are on Framily and when checking my acct today noticed the $15 Framily service fee on her line.  We had never had that fee before.   Apparently their system saw the lease as a discounted upgrade.  Took a 25 min chat with a rep to get the fee removed.  So if you are on Framily and do iPhone for Life watch your acct.  

• Like 6

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. On friday I upgraded my Wife's line to the iPhone 6 and did the iPhone for Life lease. We are on Framily and when checking my acct today noticed the $15 Framily service fee on her line. We had never had that fee before. Apparently their system saw the lease as a discounted upgrade. Took a 25 min chat with a rep to get the fee removed. So if you are on Framily and do iPhone for Life watch your acct.

Similar issue.

We have 5 lines on the family share data plan 20gb.

Upgraded 2 lines to iphone for life and noticed a 25 dollar charge for discounted phones added for the 2 lines. Called sprint, they cleared it up and credited the account back to the start of my billing period. They showed it was added to the account when I went to the share data and removed but re added last week for some reason.

He determined it was invalid and fixed the account.

Also said I selected the unlimited individual plans for the 2 iphone for life upgrade plans, and once I get the phones and activate to call sprint so they can move those 2 lines back over to the family share with the other 3 lines.

• Like 1

Similar issue.

We have 5 lines on the family share data plan 20gb.

Upgraded 2 lines to iphone for life and noticed a 25 dollar charge for discounted phones added for the 2 lines. Called sprint, they cleared it up and credited the account back to the start of my billing period. They showed it was added to the account when I went to the share data and removed but re added last week for some reason.

He determined it was invalid and fixed the account.

Also said I selected the unlimited individual plans for the 2 iphone for life upgrade plans, and once I get the phones and activate to call sprint so they can move those 2 lines back over to the family share with the other 3 lines.

Thanks.  When we get the phone on Friday I will keep an eye on that.  When I did the ugrade it did not ask me to select a plan, that I would select the plan when I activate the phone.  So to my knowledge I have not changed plans.  The rep I chatted with today did not say the plan was changing for her phone.  We are in a 10 member Framily so I do not want to lose that. 

Looks like these new iPhone plans were pushed out before the system was totally ready to deal with them.  I am glad Sprint is moving fast but it's creates a bad customer experience.  People don't like fees just appearing on their account.  

• Like 1

Since there was some confusion because of how Sprint described the lease on the website, here is some clarification from the actual lease document regarding early termination. Basically if you terminate the lease early, you will owe the balance of lease payments remaining. If you return the phone that will be the only fee you have to pay. If you do not return the phone, you will pay the remaining lease payments AND the purchase option price. The purchase option price is the price you would pay at the end of the lease if you wanted to keep the phone. That price for the 64GB iPhone 6 is $200. Obviously it would make more sense to just turn the phone in at the end of the lease rather then pay that to keep it. If you want to keep the phone after two years or don't think you can fulfill the lease, do easy pay.  Also it is obviously very advisable that if you do the lease or easy pay you should probably carry some type of insurance coverage on your device.   Really no different then a car lease.

Early Termination: You may terminate this Lease Agreement before the end of the lease term by notifying us at least 30
days prior to termination, returning the Goods in good condition and repair, and paying the remaining lease payments
due. Failure to return the Goods and pay the remaining lease payments will constitute an Event of Default. We may
terminate this Lease Agreement before the end of the lease term upon the occurrence of an Event of Default or if we
discontinue the leasing program. If we discontinue the leasing program, we will forgive all remaining lease payments due,
and you will return the Goods to us in good condition and repair within 30 days after we notify you of the discontinuance of
the program.

Default: You agree you will be in default under this Lease Agreement upon the occurrence of any of the following events
(an Event of Default): (1) you fail to make any payment when due hereunder; (2) you breach any other provision of this
Lease Agreement; (3) you breach any provision of the Consumer Terms (if you are an individual consumer lessee) or the
Business Terms (if you are a business lessee); or (4) you fail to activate and maintain Sprint wireless service for the
Goods as described in the Wireless Service section above.

Remedies: Upon the occurrence of an Event of Default, we will give you 30 days’ notice of and right to cure the default. If
you do not cure the default within 30 days, you must immediately return the Goods to us in good condition and repair, and
the following provisions will apply, in addition to any other remedies to which we may be entitled under applicable law. If
this Event of Default occurs during the original lease term, we will require you to pay the remaining lease payments
due, plus the purchase option price set forth on page 1 of this Lease Agreement, but we will waive this purchase option
price if you return the Goods to us in good condition and repair within 30 days after the Event of Default. If this Event of
Default occurs during any extended lease period, and if you do not return the Goods to us in good condition and repair
within 30 days after the Event of Default, we will require you to pay the fair market value of the Goods as of the date of the
Event of Default, as disclosed on Sprint’s website. If we have to institute suit to collect the amounts you owe, or to
recover possession of the leased Goods, we may recover our reasonable attorneys’ fees and court costs, or the presiding
judge may allow our reasonable attorneys’ fees to be taxed to you as a part of the court costs.

• Like 4

Since there was some confusion because of how Sprint described the lease on the website, here is some clarification from the actual lease document regarding early termination. Basically if you terminate the lease early, you will owe the balance of lease payments remaining. If you return the phone that will be the only fee you have to pay. If you do not return the phone, you will pay the remaining lease payments AND the purchase option price. The purchase option price is the price you would pay at the end of the lease if you wanted to keep the phone. That price for the 64GB iPhone 6 is $200. Obviously it would make more sense to just turn the phone in at the end of the lease rather then pay that to keep it. If you want to keep the phone after two years or don't think you can fulfill the lease, do easy pay. Also it is obviously very advisable that if you do the lease or easy pay you should probably carry some type of insurance coverage on your device. Really no different then a car lease.

In regards to the insurance, I am wondering if I were to break or crack my screen and half Apple replace the phone for the out of warranty cost, which I believe is around 200. With that fulfill sprints agreement for the lease?

The only plus for the tep is lost or theft.

From the lease I saw no serial number or IMEI is on the lease.  Just model.  So I am guessing as long as you turn a phone in that is the same model on the lease it is ok.  So for example if you have applecare and they replace the phone for a broken screen it looks like you are ok.  It would be no different then Sprint Insurance if they replace the phone.

From the lease I saw no serial number or IMEI is on the lease. Just model. So I am guessing as long as you turn a phone in that is the same model on the lease it is ok. So for example if you have applecare and they replace the phone for a broken screen it looks like you are ok. It would be no different then Sprint Insurance if they replace the phone.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking too. I figure I'm going to slap a case and a screen protector on it. And I should be good. I have not had a phone lost or stolen.

11 or $13 a month is kind of expensive especially when you're going to fork up about $200 as a deductible. Out of warranty costs for Apple at the Apple Store are very similar and you do not pay 11 or $13 a month. Again the only difference I see is lost or theft.

Also, just for comparison sake, here is the total cost comparison between easy pay/full price and the lease.  This is for iPhone 6 64 GB

Easy Pay/Full Price = $749 + $41.20 sales tax = $790.20

iPhone for Life Lease (turn phone in at end of lease) $25/mo + $1.38 tax on each payment = $26.38 x 24 = $633.12

iPhone for Life Lease (Buy phone at end of lease) $633.12 + $200 (End of lease purchase option) = $833.12

Obviously, buying the phone at the end of the lease is not a good deal.  Just do easy pay if you think you want the phone at the end of the lease. That is how leases work, Sprint is assuming the resale risk and thus there is a premium on the outright price on the lease vs easy pay. 

Also for comparison sake the trade-in value of a Sprint iPhone 5 64 GB on Gazelle is $110, and on T-Mobile (which Sprint is matching right now) is $253.  Current average sale price on Swappa is $265.

Keep in mind if you do lease the buyout at the end of the lease is $200.  If the resale market shows you can do better selling it, it might still make sense to buy it and then sell it yourself.  For example buy the device at the end for $200 and if you can sell for $300 you can recoup some of your cost.  Ideally though if your plan is to sell the phone yourself you are better off doing easy pay/outright buy. 

At the end of the day, I don't care how anybody buys their phone, just understand what you are getting into before you do anything and do what makes the most sense for your situation.

• Like 2

You think they will increase the price of apple care replacement? Guess I am buying applecare day of then lol. 

I would not be surprised if they did.  They did when they went from the 4S to the 5.  Since the 6's have bigger screens, different body I would not be surprised if they did.  Won't know until Friday at least though.

• Like 1

Worth Ave Group seems to be a pretty well respected option for 3rd party insurance that might be worth a look.

Since there was some confusion because of how Sprint described the lease on the website, here is some clarification from the actual lease document regarding early termination. Basically if you terminate the lease early, you will owe the balance of lease payments remaining. If you return the phone that will be the only fee you have to pay.

That's not what the FAQ at http://shop.sprint.com/modals/iphone_for_life_faq_modal.html says:

What happens if I cancel my service prior to completing my 24 month lease?

If you cancel service during your lease term, you will have to pay the remaining lease payments plus the device purchase option price set forth in the Lease Agreement.

If you return your device, the device purchase option price will not be credited to your account.

Unless they use the word "credited" to mean "charged", it sounds like you have to pay the purchase price even if you return the phone.

Edited by ahecht

That's not what the FAQ at http://shop.sprint.com/modals/iphone_for_life_faq_modal.html says:

Unless they use the word "credited" to mean "charged", it sounds like you have to pay the purchase price even if you return the phone.

I am quoting off the actual contract.  That has authority over an FAQ.  My guess that is a typo on the FAQ.  Would not be a first.

Actual language from the contract:

Remedies: Upon the occurrence of an Event of Default, we will give you 30 days’ notice of and right to cure the default. If

you do not cure the default within 30 days, you must immediately return the Goods to us in good condition and repair, and

the following provisions will apply, in addition to any other remedies to which we may be entitled under applicable law. If

this Event of Default occurs during the original lease term, we will require you to pay the remaining lease payments

due, plus the purchase option price set forth on page 1 of this Lease Agreement, but we will waive this purchase option

price if you return the Goods to us in good condition and repair within 30 days after the Event of Default. If this Event of

Default occurs during any extended lease period, and if you do not return the Goods to us in good condition and repair

within 30 days after the Event of Default, we will require you to pay the fair market value of the Goods as of the date of the

Event of Default, as disclosed on Sprint’s website. If we have to institute suit to collect the amounts you owe, or to

recover possession of the leased Goods, we may recover our reasonable attorneys’ fees and court costs, or the presiding

judge may allow our reasonable attorneys’ fees to be taxed to you as a part of the court costs.

• Like 7

Also, i don't think the coverage on the maps is overstated. In my experience, it is very similar or worse than the connectivity i have had.

Also what does this push the total covered pops too?

Maybe it's a localised thing, my metro is certainly overstated.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.  On friday I upgraded my Wife's line to the iPhone 6 and did the iPhone for Life lease.  We are on Framily and when checking my acct today noticed the $15 Framily service fee on her line.  We had never had that fee before.   Apparently their system saw the lease as a discounted upgrade.  Took a 25 min chat with a rep to get the fee removed.  So if you are on Framily and do iPhone for Life watch your acct.  

Logged into my acct this morning and fees are back.  Grrrr.  Need to contact Sprint again.

Update:  Called Sprint this time.  Rep said it was an error and he escalated to his supervisor to get the fees removed.  Told me it would be 1-2 hours before it would reflect online.  We will see what happens.  I made sure the rep put good notes on my acct if the problem continues. 

Update 2:  Well the line item for the service charge is still showing on my account, but the amount changed from $15 to $0.  I am guessing they figured if they just took it off it might keep re-appearing and thus they  left the line item and just zeroed it out.  I will continue to keep an eye on it.