Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

If Sprint offered the same plan for Android phones, they would have to charge more than $50. Because the phones would be worth less when they are turned back in. If Android phones were worth more after 2 years, they could do the same thing. Sprint is not going to additionally subsidize Android phones loss in value. It's not going to happen.

The $50 offer is valid for non-lease plans too. Device value has no relevance for that case. If this were only for leases, then it would actually sound reasonable to me.
  • Like 2

The $50 offer is valid for non-lease plans too. Device value has no relevance for that case. If this were only for leases, then it would actually sound reasonable to me.

Shows you how close I pay attention to non-network things. I thought it was lease only that received the $50 plan.

Just curious, what if:

Sharp/SoftBank had a plan for its "edge" phone where unlimited data for $45 plus phone fee

Or

If Google kicked funds to sprint to lower data plan at $45 plus phone fee

Would you be okay with either of those options, especially the first one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious, what if:

Sharp/SoftBank had a plan for its "edge" phone where unlimited data for $45 plus phone fee

Or

As a shareholder, I want the company to make as much money as possible in a fiscally responsible manor that's consistent with maintaining a best-in-class network operation. If these plans help customer acquisition and can move the needle on the bottom line, you gotta do what's necessary - even if it's a free Blackberry for life plan*.

* Blackberry for life plan not guaranteed for life. More like 18 more months.

• Like 1

Just curious, what if:

Or

I don't care for any plan that includes/excludes certain devices for the exact same service provided to other devices.

There are many ways to discount things, however the above, which as far as I am aware, is the first time that any carrier has made available discounted plans for a specific brand of device.

if the shoe were on the other foot and android devices only were getting a discounted plan, then I would feel the exact same way and I am sure the iFans would be in a so much larger uproar than the few comments this has so far generated.

• Like 1

I don't care for any plan that includes/excludes certain devices for the exact same service provided to other devices.

There are many ways to discount things, however the above, which as far as I am aware, is the first time that any carrier has made available discounted plans for a specific brand of device.

if the shoe were on the other foot and android devices only were getting a discounted plan, then I would feel the exact same way and I am sure the iFans would be in a so much larger uproar than the few comments this has so far generated.

I believe AT&T did for the original phone. B

Not sure if anyone else has got this offer so, I thought I'd through it out there (partially, in hopes of just changing the topic here).

I just logged into my Sprint account and got the following pop-up:

"Congratulations! For a limited time, you're eligible to upgrade your phone when you sign up for Easy Pay monthly installments or our iPhone for Life Plan leasing option with no annual service agreement...."

I am on the ED1500 plan with 3 lines (each under contract), all of which are 10-14 mos out from the 20 month upgrade. Sounds pretty good!  

:tu:

• Like 1

I just don't get why such an uproar about sprint giving a discount to a certain demographic. It happens when people get employed discounts. Does it mean to that all people who don't work for Target get "penalized" for not working at Target? Sprint chose to do the $50 plan for IPhone 6 & 6+ users as a way to push the sale of devices. Discounts given for X reason happens in all companies. 

• Like 1

Airlines do it all the time too. The person sitting next to you may have paid anywhere between $50 less to $500 more than you, for the exact same service. His price may be further lowered simply because he booked with a particular branded credit card. Same with hotel rates.

• Like 7

Airlines do it all the time too. The person sitting next to you may have paid anywhere between $50 less to $500 more than you, for the exact same service. His price may be further lowered simply because he booked with a particular branded credit card. Same with hotel rates.

Please tell me you're not citing airline pricing, of all things, as a precedent of sanity in pricing models. [emoji32]
  • Like 3

regarding the myriad pricing systems of airlines and hotels;

If these different discounts were based on the color of your luggage, would you still think that was acceptable?

At this point I can't tell if dedub is trolling for comments or just refuses to accept any possible explanation for the iPhone pricing.

"ITS A DISCOUNT ON THE SERVICE #!@#!@#!@!!@## ghjkghskdlfhjksdlf"

Why is this such a sticking point when people get all kinds of SERVICE discounts at Sprint for employer discounts, credit union discounts, student discounts, even union discounts. I think there are even discounts for retired teachers. 

I guess if you are looking for something to help salve the wound, iPhone users that want more than 16GB get to pay at least 100 more when most Android users can buy a cheap MicroSD card.

I can understand the $50 plan for choosing iPhone for life and leasing the device but it seems silly to also allow the discounted plan with easy pay or paid in full iPhone sales too. They should have done something similar to the service credit on mobile broadband plans for buying via easypay that anyone can get regardless of device purchased.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What surprises me is that there have been more Android users defending the iPhone discount than upset by it.  It seems to be relegated to a small minority.  I get why they don't like it.  I mean, who wants to find out they don't qualify for a discount that others do?  I get that.  However, it is available to them if they want to get a certain product.  I remember some people not happy that BlackBerrys did not have to pay the $10 Premium Data Fee, and that BlackBerrys had special plans that included some additional benefit.

It's a promotion.  For Sprint, it will have its pros and cons.  There is analysis going on now.  If it is really successful, they may even extend it.  They may even expand it to include other devices.  If it is costing them too much money and not working out like they plan, they may just let it expire and do nothing like it again.

This is something new for Sprint.  It seems wildly popular based on reports we are seeing and hearing.  What we are experiencing now is the first part of the story.  This could grow into oh so much more.  It may even drive down all plans to $50, eventually.  Stay tuned.

P.S. - it gets a lot of people into Triband devices quickly, which Sprint needs desperately.  Sprint needs to get people off Uniband and spread out onto Triband ASAP.

Edited by S4GRU
Added P.S. line
  • Like 6

At this point I can't tell if dedub is trolling for comments or just refuses to accept any possible explanation for the iPhone pricing.

"ITS A DISCOUNT ON THE SERVICE #!@#!@#!@!!@## ghjkghskdlfhjksdlf"

Why is this such a sticking point when people get all kinds of SERVICE discounts at Sprint for employer discounts, credit union discounts, student discounts, even union discounts. I think there are even discounts for retired teachers. 

I guess if you are looking for something to help salve the wound, iPhone users that want more than 16GB get to pay at least 100 more when most Android users can buy a cheap MicroSD card.

He's not trolling.  I agree with his stance, and what he says seems so obviously right to me, to the point that my mind is blown that you guys continue to argue against it.

Regarding your comparisons to other discounts:  In a few pages back in one of my first posts on this, I argued that this isn't really like a veteran or student discount.  Which smartphone OS you prefer is something that (roughly) divides the population.  And in this case the discount isn't based on who the person is, but rather discounting a service based on which product you chose to buy.  It makes the market muddy and clouded, and encourages handset manufacturers to play more games with carriers to win their favor.

• Like 1

It's not trolling to have the counter opinion about the iPhone plan in this thread. If posting it in the iPhone 6 thread, that would be trolling.

• Like 2

I can understand the $50 plan for choosing iPhone for life and leasing the device but it seems silly to also allow the discounted plan with easy pay or paid in full iPhone sales too. They should have done something similar to the service credit on mobile broadband plans for buying via easypay that anyone can get regardless of device purchased.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Exactly.  I wouldn't complain at all if it were only part of a leasing plan, since in that case the device and service are pretty much bundled together.  But allowing it with Easy Pay for the same rate basically means that a person buying a Android phone with Easy Pay and a person buying an iPhone with Easy Pay will pay different rates to receive the exact same service.

Frankly, which device you use should largely be none of the carrier's business (aside from reasonable precautions to make sure the device doesn't harm the network in some way).  The only thing the carrier should be concerned with is your network usage. Minutes are minutes and bytes are bytes.

• Like 2

What surprises me is that there have been more Android users defending the iPhone discount than upset by it.  It seems to be relegated to a small minority.  I get why they don't like it.  I mean, who wants to find out they don't qualify for a discount that others do?  I get that.  However, it is available to them if they want to get a certain product.  I remember some people not happy that BlackBerrys did not have to pay the $10 Premium Data Fee, and that BlackBerrys had special plans that included some additional benefit.

It's a promotion.  For Sprint, it will have its pros and cons.  There is analysis going on now.  If it is really successful, they may even extend it.  They may even expand it to include other devices.  If it is costing them too much money and not working out like they plan, they may just let it expire and do nothing like it again.

This is something new for Sprint.  It seems wildly popular based on reports we are seeing and hearing.  What we are experiencing now is the first part of the story.  This could grow into oh so much more.  It may even drive down all plans to $50, eventually.  Stay tuned.

P.S. - it gets a lot of people into Triband devices quickly, which Sprint needs desperately.  Sprint needs to get people off Uniband and spread out onto Triband ASAP.

I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree that this new pricing plan seems to be popular and may be successful in the end.  And I admit I'm probably in the minority of the population criticizing it.  But I'm a principled person, and I would argue against this kind of pricing discrimination whether it favored Android *OR* iOS.

(personally, I'm on a Framily plan so the pricing doesn't affect me.  But I still think the discrepancy is bad.)

So again if Samsung had the same deal. Would you be upset for htc users? Just curious

Yes.  I'm annoyed by any deal that ties cell phone service/network related fees to what device you're using (other than, say, charging a different rate for a dumbphone incapable of data usage, or a tablet incapable of voice/text).

Edit: I'm okay with such discrepancies for the leases case that bundles the device and service together.  Because with leasing, the carrier is reselling the device after the lease ends, which changes the value of the service provided from the traditional model.  Ideally they'd reflect that in a lease surcharge on top of a regular service charge rather than the way they do it now just so everything makes more sense; but that is probably nitpicking.