Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Humility in a CEO. How quaint...

Hmmm I don't know how good of an idea it would be to make such an announcement. Everybody wants transparency, but whenever they try to transparent about their plans it seems to get used against them. We'll see.

I disagree. I think it's and excellent idea to show that they are focusing on problem areas like major cities where congestion is taking over the network. After all, Hoogobble Alabama is not going to have the congestion issues that Manhattan, NY is going to have. Showing customers that Sprint is acknowledging the issues and effectively DOING something about it at a rapid pace, is enough to keep someone from switching to a more attractive provider in the sense of finding relief and usable service.

To add. It is important to say they are focusing on this ESPECIALLY because Claure essentially said NV 1.0 is complete. In areas where it does not represent that claim, people are concerned. Either they are waiting for backhaul and LTE, or are having congestion issues on a daily basis. Claure absolutely must reassure subs that Sprint just isn't going to "hit it and quit."

Edited by jamisonshaw125
  • Like 3

Sprint will also be doing this: Buy iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus and trade in any iPhone in working condition and meets all standard buyback condition requirements, buy back value will be $200. I see sprint getting a lot of newcomers.

Can you link the offer? If current subs are eligible this seems like not too bad of a deal. I have a iphone 4 (not in use) and an iphone 5 I would trade in towards an Iphone 6 if it is $200 per...

I disagree. I think it's and excellent idea to show that they are focusing on problem areas like major cities where congestion is taking over the network. 

Right. And what's going to be the story for people in every other city that isn't announced as a 'focus city'? I can just about imagine what the flamingo will be saying when he pounces on this.

• Like 2

Right. And what's going to be the story for people in every other city that isn't announced as a 'focus city'? I can just about imagine what the flamingo will be saying when he pounces on this.

I believe the list is the second round of B41 prioritization he was speaking about.  At least I hope he is.  I interpreted his comments to mean he was going to pick a threshold of pass/fail and say all sites that have LTE performance worse than this must make B41 8T8R addition a priority...no matter what market it's in.

And then I believe he is saying that his second strategy was to focus on wide 8T8R deployments in specific targeted suffering markets.  And then after these, it is assumed they will go back and get all the rest.

As long as the message is...we are adding B41 capacity in every market at the sites that need it most.  Even in your city, as needed.  And then here are the other cities we are also focusing on a full 8T8R deployment also now.  And keep adding to that list as needed.

I'd take the network.sprint.com map and show the highest usage sites that are identified as needing B41 ASAP.  And I'd show the status.  Planning, permitting, in progress, testing and complete.  Mark them red.  People would eat that up.  But keep the information flowing consistently and show progress everywhere.  If there are whole markets not showing B41 8T8R action, then those markets would be ripe for the competition to start pointing out that Sprint is ignoring that city and switch to them.

• Like 6

the people in other cities 'should' already have a decent experience, so they shouldn't have much to say, and neither should tmo.

On the other hand, if there are cities with legitimate issues that aren't a 'focus', then they have every right to gripe.

I believe the list is the second round of B41 prioritization he was speaking about. At least I hope he is. I interpreted his comments to mean he was going to pick a threshold of pass/fail and say all sites that have LTE performance worse than this must make B41 8T8R addition a priority...no matter what market it's in.

And then I believe he is saying that his second strategy was to focus on wide 8T8R deployments in specific targeted suffering markets. And then after these, it is assumed they will go back and get all the rest.

As long as the message is...we are adding B41 capacity in every market at the sites that need it most. Even in your city, as needed. And then here are the other cities we are also focusing on a full 8T8R deployment also now. And keep adding to that list as needed.

I'd take the network.sprint.com map and show the highest usage sites that are identified as needing B41 ASAP. And I'd show the status. Planning, permitting, in progress, testing and complete. Mark them red. People would eat that up. But keep the information flowing consistently and show progress everywhere. If there are whole markets not showing B41 8T8R action, then those markets would be ripe for the competition to start pointing out that Sprint is ignoring that city and switch to them.

Robert

Does this mean mid-level markets like Omaha, Lincoln, and Des Moines, which are seeing 8t8r deployments, are going to get shelved? What about sites that have been deployed already in those markets?

Does this mean mid-level markets like Omaha, Lincoln, and Des Moines, which are seeing 8t8r deployments, are going to get shelved? What about sites that have been deployed already in those markets?

It doesn't mean they won't deploy equipment. Just the priority is changed. All sites will eventually get the new equipment in time. Focus is now predominately urban high capacity areas where possible but if not possible at that moment they'll work on the other lower priority sites.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, and no.  They will finish out whatever is already permitted and equipment procured for.  But the remaining sites in these markets will not be ignored.  They will just now be focusing on the sites that have the worst LTE performance first and need the relief of Band 41 and 8T8R to bring these specific overburdened sites back into a reasonable experience for Uniband LTE devices and an excellent experience for Triband device owners.  Think of it as triage for Band 41 deployment.

Then after the worst sites are upgraded, then they will focus on specific markets in a more complete fashion.  So in places like Omaha, Lincoln and Des Moines, after they finish up what they're working on, they likely will be moving around to the worst performing sites next in all three cities.  After those are done, it would then depend on whether any of these three are considered critical for full deployment.  Maybe one will.  Maybe all three.  Maybe none at first.

We don't know what his selection criteria for markets is.  It will probably be a factor trying to determine the number of Sprint subscribers in a market, the number of potential subs that could be gained if the performance was better, how fast/easy can the market be 8T8R upgraded, and which markets would benefit most (have the worst overall performance currently).

One good thing about 8T8R is it's an overlay on already upgraded Sprint sites.  The field installs go really fast.  If a city had little or no permit requirements, they could bang it out quickly.  In a few months they could bang out each market they are working on at sites with upgraded backhaul in place.

This will be good over all.  I think it will be good in Omaha, Lincoln and Des Moines too all things considered.  It's the best way to do this academically and from the customers perspective.

• Like 2

I love this newfound sense of urgency at sprint. And if we are marching closer to the "customers just want their data to work well" why would anything other than prioritizing in these areas matter? E-peen speedtest whoreoffs in suburban america?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This will be interesting as I have seen some sites in my city of around 100k perform worse than some in DFW, San Antonio, Austin, and some better. I'm more curious if at the initial new strategy will be these High capacity strained sites get some b41, leaving more swiss cheese coverage at the initial part.

This will be interesting as I have seen some sites in my city of around 100k perform worse than some in DFW, San Antonio, Austin, and some better. I'm more curious if at the initial new strategy will be these High capacity strained sites get some b41, leaving more swiss cheese coverage at the initial part.

Yeah there are some places in SA and Austin that remain simply AWFUL. Like my post above all it takes is a single upgrade to improve the experience for everyone. By getting my Nexus 5 onto B41 they not only make the experience better for me but it also relives the non triband users of my congestion. 

• Like 2

Question.  With the buyback program and easy pay, can you turn in a device and apply the credit to the phone reducing the amount of the easy pay payment? Or is it a gift card they send later?  For example say my wife wanted to trade for a new iPhone and they give $200 for her current one, would it be $649-$200=$449/24=$18.70?  Basically I want the phone credit to reduce the price of the new phone.

• Like 1

Yeah there are some places in SA and Austin that remain simply AWFUL. Like my post above all it takes is a single upgrade to improve the experience for everyone. By getting my Nexus 5 onto B41 they not only make the experience better for me but it also relives the non triband users of my congestion. 

Hence my idea a few posts back that Sprint needs to put some type of program in place to encourage subs to upgrade to B41 devices and make it as painless as possible for them to do so.  

• Like 1

Hence my idea a few posts back that Sprint needs to put some type of program in place to encourage subs to upgrade to B41 devices and make it as painless as possible for them to do so.  

Who knows? Considering T-Mobile announcement to try to get people to switch to phones with WiFi Calling capabilities, Sprint just might have a plan in the works to get people to upgrade to Spark devices sooner rather than later.

• Like 4

I expect that it will be any and all sites worse than a certain pass/fail rating that Marcelo and the network team will establish. It will not be focused on specific markets only. I think the broad deployment will start to focus on specific markets, but I expect the relief deployment will be anywhere and everywhere.

As for swiss cheese, I don't agree. B41 can only be overlaid on NV Sites with fully upgraded backhaul. It will not be a cohesive B41 network, but it doesn't need work that way to be effective now. B41 seamlessly hands off to other Sprint LTE bands. Customers won't notice except their phone works better now in certain places. In places where they get B41 and also B25/26 in the area that now have a measurable amount of less subs on their channels because of B41.

AT&T uses widerband channels to relieve their 5MHz channels in my area. Works well. Verizon does not make sure their XLTE B4 is cohesive in every market. It uses B4 to relieve the highest usage sites first and then goes back and adds it on others. Customers just start seeing the worst sites getting better. And the number of poor sites getting fewer and fewer.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Question. With the buyback program and easy pay, can you turn in a device and apply the credit to the phone reducing the amount of the easy pay payment? Or is it a gift card they send later? For example say my wife wanted to trade for a new iPhone and they give $200 for her current one, would it be $649-$200=$449/24=$18.70? Basically I want the phone credit to reduce the price of the new phone.

No they won't do that for some reason. The trade in can cover tax and accessories, then the rest goes to an immediate bill credit.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 on the Sprint Network

• Like 1

Who knows? Considering T-Mobile announcement to try to get people to switch to phones with WiFi Calling capabilities, Sprint just might have a plan in the works to get people to upgrade to Spark devices sooner rather than later.

^^^^

6 months or closer to your 2 year upgrade? upgrade to the iPhone 6 NOW with on contract pricing. *must turn in old device for up to $200 credit towards accessories or device credit*

While some might see that as a photocopy of T-Mobile's move, I still think this could be a great idea.

• Like 1

As long as the message is...we are adding B41 capacity in every market at the sites that need it most.  Even in your city, as needed.  And then here are the other cities we are also focusing on a full 8T8R deployment also now.  And keep adding to that list as needed.

Yes, as long as they're loud and clear on that point, it could resonate with consumers.

• Like 2

Yes, as long as they're loud and clear on that point, it could resonate with consumers.

I will acknowledge there is risk.  But he needs to do something bold that will rally customers and get them excited.

While some might see that as a photocopy of T-Mobile's move, I still think this could be a great idea.

Yeah, I can hear the complaining now from the fanboys.  But sometimes a good idea is just a good idea.

• Like 3

I expect that it will be any and all sites worse than a certain pass/fail rating that Marcelo and the network team will establish. It will not be focused on specific markets only. I think the broad deployment will start to focus on specific markets, but I expect the relief deployment will be anywhere and everywhere.

As for swiss cheese, I don't agree. B41 can only be overlaid on NV Sites with fully upgraded backhaul. It will not be a cohesive B41 network, but it doesn't need work that way to be effective now. B41 seamlessly hands off to other Sprint LTE bands. Customers won't notice except their phone works better now in certain places. In places where they get B41 and also B25/26 in the area that now have a measurable amount of less subs on their channels because of B41.

AT&T uses widerband channels to relieve their 5MHz channels in my area. Works well. Verizon does not make sure their XLTE B4 is cohesive in every market. It uses B4 to relieve the highest usage sites first and then goes back and adds it on others. Customers just start seeing the worst sites getting better. And the number of poor sites getting fewer and fewer.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

True but for some places the only way relieve the strain is have new sites with b41. Here we have two Colleges, both decently large, one shares a tower with two hospitals, and has some coverage from another tower providing for the other college b41 wouldn't even reach the area it needs too. It'll be interesting to see how these situations will be addressed. Because it would require a new site to be efficient. But any b41 on one of these towers will be relief for sure.

True but for some places the only way relieve the strain is have new sites with b41. Here we have two Colleges, both decently large, one shares a tower with two hospitals, and has some coverage from another tower providing for the other college b41 wouldn't even reach the area it needs too. It'll be interesting to see how these situations will be addressed. Because it would require a new site to be efficient. But any b41 on one of these towers will be relief for sure.

Yes, this is true.  However, Sprint cannot focus on network expansion right now while their existing coverage is in the toilet.  Marcelo is doing the best thing he can do right now.  Additional B41 coverage via brand new sites is going to happen.  But it's not the #1 priority.  

Who's the biggest threat to churn?  Customers who are covered by the Sprint network now but data speeds are abysmal, or those who have poor or no coverage?  There are 10x more people in the former than the latter.  So it's a no brainer.  People with poor or no coverage were already likely to churn.  Sprint wasn't a good choice for them to begin with.  Even if the network is better.  These will be expensive to try and keep.  New sites are expensive and time consuming.  But the mass of people that could churn due to poor LTE speeds can be made happy much faster, less expensive, and Sprint has a lot of resources to make that happen quickly versus new sites.

New B41 sites do need to be added in the future.  And it's still part of the B41 plan.  They were always going to be at the tail end.  So Marcelo really has not changed anything here as it pertains to new sites.  He is just changing the upfront plan.  Doing it this way will make a lot more people happy sooner and allow Sprint to possibly pick up even more customers down the road also.  But if Sprint loses its core customers now that they could have kept by refocusing this effort, then there would be likely no Sprint left but a handful of new shiny infill B41 sites that will no longer be needed.

Even VZW is adding additional B4 XLTE towers last.  First focusing on the busy sites, then the remaining existing sites and additional infill sites last.  You have to admit it is the best plan.