Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

No I don't think that's what implied here.

I mean up until a few months ago 3g was still being used by them.

It shows that they are not standing still. They were the first in the US with a nationwide 4g roll out. And I suspect that they want to be in the same boat the next go around.

5g technology what ever that ultimately ends up being, will help them leave land lines entirely.

Don't forget competition is a good thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sprint was first to 4G with WiMAX.

• Like 3

Next, it will be that Sprint has an unfair advantage with so much BRS/EBS 2600 MHz spectrum. The FCC never should have allowed such accumulation. Something needs to be done.

I know people on certain forums who always felt that Clearwire and Sprint wasted that spectrum. I don't think that logic is new.

However... I'll just leave this here for the next Magentan who thinks "wet bag paper".

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-02-04/deutsche-telekom-is-said-to-be-nearing-clearwire-deal-on-spectrum-purchase

Funny how close this became to reality. Funny how people forget that. Lots of people on that side just don't have the courage of convictions to say "damn we wish we had a chunk of that." Soon enough they'll be saying it.

• Like 7

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/denver-co/2015/2H

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/sprints-network-is-the-fastest-in-denver-and-getting-better-every-day.htm

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/no-one-beats-sprint-for-overall-network-performance-and-fastest-speed-in-denver-period.htm?view_id=10517

Johns Saw states CA in 80 markets at select locations.  Based on my own tests, Sprint is likely to win in other markets or at least be acknowledged for greatly improved  network service.

[edit: originally posted as separate thread - moved by moderator to this 381 page area.  I was beat by 4 hours]

Edited by dkyeager
  • Like 3

I know people on certain forums who always felt that Clearwire and Sprint wasted that spectrum. I don't think that logic is new.

However... I'll just leave this here for the next Magentan who thinks "wet bag paper".

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-02-04/deutsche-telekom-is-said-to-be-nearing-clearwire-deal-on-spectrum-purchase

Funny how close this became to reality. Funny how people forget that. Lots of people on that side just don't have the courage of convictions to say "damn we wish we had a chunk of that." Soon enough they'll be saying it.

I think they believe unlicensed spectrum is the way to go now.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I think they believe unlicensed spectrum is the way to go now.

That's far from a set plan at this point. We still don't know how the FCC will rule on this. As someone who lives out of Sprint territory but not T-Mobile territory, I support the LAA strategy, but even still, that might get passed quickly if 5G development is accelerated.

That's far from a set plan at this point. We still don't know how the FCC will rule on this. As someone who lives out of Sprint territory but not T-Mobile territory, I support the LAA strategy, but even still, that might get passed quickly if 5G development is accelerated.

I was referring to comments on this article by a troll. 2.5 looks pretty good now. Even AT&T is going to use 2.3 for LTE soon.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprint-conspicuously-absent-lte-u-debate/2015-09-03

I was referring to comments on this article by a troll. 2.5 looks pretty good now. Even AT&T is going to use 2.3 for LTE soon.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprint-conspicuously-absent-lte-u-debate/2015-09-03

Some just can't be pleased. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Like 1

I will take Verizon at their word on 5G.  It means the other carriers have less than two years to get the most out of their 4G plans given Verizon's initial 4G installation wave.  It may also affect funding for additional 4G efforts. A good strategic move on their part  by a carrier with enough cash to pull it off.  But as Sprint showed with Wimax, even Verizon will need other carriers to follow to be successful.

source: http://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-sets-roadmap-5g-technology-us-field-trials-start-2016

• Like 2

I will take Verizon at their word on 5G. It means the other carriers have less than two years to get the most out of their 4G plans given Verizon's initial 4G installation wave. It may also affect funding for additional 4G efforts. A good strategic move on their part by a carrier with enough cash to pull it off. But as Sprint showed with Wimax, even Verizon will need other carriers to follow to be successful.

Correct they have proven themselves.

Can they fail on 5g sure... But I'll give them a pass till that occurs.

"Since our testing in March, T-Mobile’s median download speed decreased from 9.8 Mbps to 6.8 Mbps"

Ouch!

There is indeed zero excuse for AT&T's results at all, but they did do fine in calling, and they relatively maintained their median speeds, meaning they are not declining at the rapid rate of T-Mobile. 

What is "5g" is there a definition? Or is Verizon calling it 5g.

Remember our friend Steve with the technology to increase capacity how many times? And Verizon says it can get speeds 4xs lte? Hmmmm I don't think it's real 5g just nationwide ca with some new upgrades... What 5 g standard will they have ready to deploy as well as the money in less than 18 months?

Hell when sprint goes 3x ca and ca through the 3 bands call it 5 g

• Like 1

Here is what is going to happen...

If the RootMetrics 2H 2015 results continue to roll in like this, the Sprint haters are going to change their narrative.

Previously, it was that BRS/EBS 2600 MHz is "garbage" spectrum, "can't penetrate a wet paper bag."  Low band and mid band spectrum holdings make the other LTE networks superior.

Now, with Sprint rapidly rising in the RootMetrics reports -- in large part due to band 41 and 2x CA -- the detractors are going to proverbially move the goalposts.

Next, it will be that Sprint has an unfair advantage with so much BRS/EBS 2600 MHz spectrum.  The FCC never should have allowed such accumulation.  Something needs to be done.

AJ

Meh. I'm ready. At this point I think written examples of people spouting "hurr durr paper bag" are in the triple digits. Just pick any of the hundreds of examples and post a link. Besides, the same logic should have applied to low-band. But we all know what happened there. Nobody really cared.

• Like 1

What is "5g" is there a definition? Or is Verizon calling it 5g.

Remember our friend Steve with the technology to increase capacity how many times? And Verizon says it can get speeds 4xs lte? Hmmmm I don't think it's real 5g just nationwide ca with some new upgrades... What 5 g standard will they have ready to deploy as well as the money in less than 18 months?

Hell when sprint goes 3x ca and ca through the 3 bands call it 5 g

It's fine to mock

But they have the resources...

Didn't Samsung start 5g tests in Korea as well

The partners with Verizon seem very capable. I don't think they have a standard yet but what some folks seem to skip over here is that some one is pushing ahead and not waiting around.

• Like 1

I will take Verizon at their word on 5G.  It means the other carriers have less than two years to get the most out of their 4G plans given Verizon's initial 4G installation wave.  It may also affect funding for additional 4G efforts. A good strategic move on their part  by a carrier with enough cash to pull it off.  But as Sprint showed with Wimax, even Verizon will need other carriers to follow to be successful.

source: http://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-sets-roadmap-5g-technology-us-field-trials-start-2016

The one thing I can give any carrier that pushes any new technology, overlaying, or densification is that is forces others to follow. This does help keep the already embarrassing "nationwide" coverage in check. 

• Like 1

It's fine to mock

But they have the resources...

Didn't Samsung start 5g tests in Korea as well

The partners with Verizon seem very capable. I don't they have a standard yet but what some folks seem to skip over here is that some one is pushing ahead and not waiting around.

If you remember correctly that was the sprint screw up.. Moving to 4g WiMAX and everyone decided to go lte after the fact. Yes in Korea they are testing 5g. Now if Verizon said 2020 I would be excited. 2017 sounds like an upgrade kinda how Tmo went 4g hspa then hspa+? I don't believe a 5g standard has been set yet. A specific platform.

• Like 2

If you remember correctly that was the sprint screw up.. Moving to 4g WiMAX and everyone decided to go lte after the fact. Yes in Korea they are testing 5g. Now if Verizon said 2020 I would be excited. 2017 sounds like an upgrade kinda how Tmo went 4g hspa then hspa+? I don't believe a 5g standard has been set yet. A specific platform.

And that's fine... Vzw can screw up. But I think the point is that they haven't so far. And if they didn't go 4g the other carriers (mostly att) would have slouched along at hapa speeds longer. And Sprint would have tried longer to make wimax work. I suppose anyways.

It's semi easy to knock down T-Mobile as they are being gimicky to attract customers the most. It is working sadly though. I suspect that people are tired paying much more money to ATT and VZw. Or can't deal with Sprint.

What's happening is though tmo can't keep its data strong network as fast as more people join.

Hopefully Sprint doesn't have that problem, but first Sprint needs to attract its customers back.

I'm more curious how many customers are leaving all four carriers, for dirt cheap Carriers like AARP and net 10.

Since I'm typically not the most welcomed member here (due to my stupid posts admittedly) I'll be even more curious how the big four can deal with that occurring more than not. Granted that they sell the or rather lease the airwaves to the mvno but at slim margins. Then again data over the air is this country's geek crack lol.

Meh. I'm ready. At this point I think written examples of people spouting "hurr durr paper bag" are in the triple digits. Just pick any of the hundreds of examples and post a link. Besides, the same logic should have applied to low-band. But we all know what happened there. Nobody really cared.

Well, when the anecdotal evidence that T-Mobile's W-CDMA can't pull a megabit or EDGE speeds, and their LTE continually pulls 3 or worse has become more and more prevalent in the last year, it hasn't fazed any of them. Dozens and dozens and dozens of people offer very similar stories, sometimes including quite extensive details. 

The best the T-Mobile advocates can come up with is that perfectly suburban areas are just "rural" and "not important", and then they sling insults and other irrelevant crap. Mindless, idiotic bullshit like "WiFi always uses less battery and is so much better than cellular anyways" as nonsensical deflections after they whine how great their carrier's cell network is. Wi-Fi is great for sedentary situations when properly deployed. Otherwise, no. Verizon, AT&T and Sprint have gotten rid of virtually all 2G in the majority of all areas. Yes, some will sadly point out remaining exceptions, but as a whole, it's basically gone. For the little one, it's still not gone and still no full 3G network. 

Defending a carrier that is historically unknown to damn near all suburban and rural users and still fails to deliver is not going to end well. And next year will clearly be the turning point.

• Like 3

but first Sprint needs to attract its customers back

Former customers left for a reason.  Easier to go after new customers.

• Like 1

Well, when the anecdotal evidence that T-Mobile's W-CDMA can't pull a megabit or EDGE speeds, and their LTE continually pulls 3 or worse has become more and more prevalent in the last year, it hasn't fazed any of them. Dozens and dozens and dozens of people offer very similar stories, sometimes including quite extensive details.

The best the T-Mobile advocates can come up with is that perfectly suburban areas are just "rural" and "not important", and then they sling insults and other irrelevant crap. Mindless, idiotic bullshit like "WiFi always uses less battery and is so much better than cellular anyways" as nonsensical deflections after they whine how great their carrier's cell network is. Wi-Fi is great for sedentary situations when properly deployed. Otherwise, no. Verizon, AT&T and Sprint have gotten rid of virtually all 2G in the majority of all areas. Yes, some will sadly point out remaining exceptions, but as a whole, it's basically gone. For the little one, it's still not gone and still no full 3G network.

Defending a carrier that is historically unknown to damn near all suburban and rural users and still fails to deliver is not going to end well. And next year will clearly be the turning point.

The biggest slowdowns are in the most urban areas. Look at Chicago as an example. T-Mo is fine in the suburbs and slow in the Loop.

In a lot of ways, T-Mobile is doing a good job. I can attest to that living in a rural expansion area. Their fanboys though... Holy crap.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, 5G is basically LTE-A+. In a lot of ways it is what Sprint is already doing with combining the non-contiguous bands together for a bigger pipeline. I think I also read somewhere that it may include WiFi to help networks become more robust and widespread (but I am unsure if that is actually true or not). 

If I recall correctly, 5G is basically LTE-A+. In a lot of ways it is what Sprint is already doing with combining the non-contiguous bands together for a bigger pipeline. I think I also read somewhere that it may include WiFi to help networks become more robust and widespread (but I am unsure if that is actually true or not).

Negative. LTE Advanced can aggregate as little as two 1.4 or 3MHz LTE carriers that run slower than average LTE networks now. LTE Advanced is not the standard for 5G. In fact, there is no standard accepted at all.

To be consistent with past generational upgrades, it needs to be an increase ~10x the previous generation. It is likely that 5G will be networks capable of running 1Gbps. And will not be released anytime soon.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 8

There are at least 3 candidate air interfaces for 5G. Which one is Verizon going to implement. Is Verizon still on Release 8 of LTE? What they will probably do is upgrade to release 11 with CA and 4x2 MIMO and call it 5G. Maybe even upgrade to all new RRHs.

• Like 1