Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I used to live in Chattanooga. Not only was EPB terrific in the price and performance department, their customer service and installation and everything else was fantastic too. I had exactly one outage with them, which was announced in advance, occurred in the middle of the night, and was required in order for them to increase my speed from 30 Mbps to 50 Mbps at no cost to me.

Seriously. It's the one thing I miss most about Chattanooga.

The ageism here is rather unsettling. I've seen it mentioned in several posts now, and it doesn't actually prove anything, it just belittles others. I think we can make our points without it.

- Trip

Trip age has a lot to do with falling for hype. The older you get the less you fall for companies blowing smoke up your well you know what. Age has to do with experience and understanding. How can you grasp the process if you aren't old enough to have seen it? The brain doesn't full develop until 25 so of course I put less faith in what some under 25 says. And I am certainly not alone there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Trip age has a lot to do with falling for hype. The older you get the less you fall for companies blowing smoke up your well you know what. Age has to do with experience and understanding. How can you grasp the process if you aren't old enough to have seen it? The brain doesn't full develop until 25 so of course I put less faith in what some under 25 says. And I am certainly not alone there.

While it is true that the brain does not fully develop until 25, age does not have to do with success. In fact, I am far more worried about the elders in Congress writing laws on technology than I am about millennials. We have PhDs under 25 for developing their field. Hell, Mark Zuckerberg was 20 when he released Facebook.

• Like 2

So if I was 28 and saying the exact same things I'm saying now and providing the same papers and sources, it's more believable?
  • Like 1

So if I was 28 and saying the exact same things I'm saying now and providing the same papers and sources, I'm more believable?

No, but I would give a bit more weight to your argument. It is unlikely you would be making the same argument though. I am actually giving you credit with the age thing. I am saying you are smart but inexperienced. If you where older and making the same arguments, I might think you weren't that smart. I am chalking up much of the argument to inexperience.

• Like 1

Either way I am getting tired of this back and forth. It has become annoying and off topic. It has gotten out of hand and rather pointless.

Either way I am getting tired of this back and forth. It has become annoying and off topic. It has gotten out of hand and rather pointless.

It has.  I will simply point out that I am 27 and have been with the FCC more than 3 years, after more than a year with a TV station ownership group working on constructing stations, and was involved in the industry via my not-for-profit website for many years before that.  Not to sound arrogant, but I don't think anyone would tell you that my age puts me at any kind of disadvantage.  To say age has anything to do with this discussion is false and comes across as very insulting, to be quite honest.  Age is irrelevant to this conversation.

What I would answer with is, if you believe all of this 5G talk is untrue, then why is an agency full of people of all ages (the FCC) working on 5G in millimeter wave bands if you're correct and it's a complete waste of time?  I'm not directly involved, but plenty of other people in my branch of OET are, and they don't think it's a waste of time.  Are you saying my supervisor, in his 30s, or my co-worker, in her 40s, or the head of OET who has been with the agency for 30 years, or the pile of others of all age groups, are all too young to know what's true and what isn't?

But, that's neither here nor there.  Let's get back on topic.

- Trip

• Like 13

It has. I will simply point out that I am 27 and have been with the FCC more than 3 years, after more than a year with a TV station ownership group working on constructing stations, and was involved in the industry via my not-for-profit website for many years before that. Not to sound arrogant, but I don't think anyone would tell you that my age puts me at any kind of disadvantage. To say age has anything to do with this discussion is false and comes across as very insulting, to be quite honest. Age is irrelevant to this conversation.

What I would answer with is, if you believe all of this 5G talk is untrue, then why is an agency full of people of all ages (the FCC) working on 5G in millimeter wave bands if you're correct and it's a complete waste of time? I'm not directly involved, but plenty of other people in my branch of OET are, and they don't think it's a waste of time. Are you saying my supervisor, in his 30s, or my co-worker, in her 40s, or the head of OET who has been with the agency for 30 years, or the pile of others of all age groups, are all too young to know what's true and what isn't?

But, that's neither here nor there. Let's get back on topic.

- Trip

Please read 3gpp rules for 5g. They haven't even committed to hearing anything above 6 Ghz let alone 30-60 Ghz. They aren't considering it for 5G. So there is no point in this discussion until they agree to consider such things.

And 3 years isn't much experience any how. That places you a decade behind me in the technology industry.

Either way I am done with this. And this harassment is out of line.

It's not really off topic sense this is sort of the news thread and sprint testing 5g is in the news. http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprints-5g-plans-no-surprise-analysts/2016-05-05 

The problem is attack people for things outside the issue. You haven't really shown how this will cost to much to add to existing small cells plan, where is will only go x ft due to Free pass loss math, or that it will cause injury at the distances that are being tested right now. 

With or without 6Ghz+ Sprint is adding small cell if you look at some of crown castle maps they are block by block so the only added expense is the high frequency equipment.

Samsung already tested out to 2 km which is not desired with small cells short distance is preferred to lessen interference.

Like it or not the spectrum capacity crunch is coming and  and this will starting to be deployed in 5 years by someone. It may end up like Wimax but it is still coming South Korea will probably be the first. 

Please read 3gpp rules for 5g. They haven't even committed to hearing anything above 6 Ghz let alone 30-60 Ghz. They aren't considering it for 5G. So there is no point in this discussion until they agree to consider such things.

And 3 years isn't much experience any how. That places you a decade behind me in the technology industry.

Either way I am done with this. And this harassment is out of line.

And yet it is on 3gpp website talking about "The “5G” work will include operation above 6 GHz".  Are you sure you are keep up with everything 5G or you are just throwing away everything to the side?

• Like 2

It's the experience, not the age. Yes age does have a pretty big influence on experience but automatically assuming age and experience go 100% hand in hand is a little narrow sighted. In my years I have learned there are quite a few things that really just have to be experienced to know, and that those experiences come with age. This subject about buying into hype is not one of them though, anyone can learn and/or experience it from a pretty young age and wise up pretty fast.

Just because science says the brain fully matures at 25 doesn't mean you didn't get any experience in all those years prior. ALOT can be experienced before the age of 25.

As for this 5G talk, as far as I'm concerned, any reality of it is way too far off for me to even bother thinking about. Anything now is just a wild idealistic pipe dream. 3-7 years from now and we'll start to see a realistic view of it as it begins to develop into something practical. One things for certain, it's gonna have to be practical and cost effective or it will never fly.

• Like 4

Guys, the last thing I read was the cost to plan, install and operate a B41 small cell was 10% of a macro B41 site.

So, as long as you don't need more than 9 small cells to cover a specific area, small cells are a viable option for that area.

Also, please note that small cells is not a new coverage area solution for Sprint. Sprint will still build macro sites when needed. However, in fill sites and places needing extra capacity, a small cell can be the best solution.

And given Sprint's LTE network can be very patchy in some areas, small cells will be very welcome in those locations.

It's not as if Sprint is starting service in a never served major metro and planning on serving it entirely with small cells. Let's keep the discussion in realistic terms.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 10

I looks like the coverage map was updated today.  I can't tell any differences though.

I'm not sure which parts they updated, but a number of GMOs in East Texas have been converted to full build since January, and none of them are showing.

EDIT: NOLA area has a much less exaggerated LTE+ layer now. A few months ago they had made the whole thing solid.

Example before/after of a given tile:

2016-05-13-old-tile.png

2016-05-13-new-tile.png

• Like 1

To all the recent infighting posts and members in this thread...

I have two words for you.  Brush your teeth!

Credit to those who recognize that terrible movie reference.

But, actually, the two words I have for you are -- simmer down now!

S4GRU probably should and will have dedicated 5G, EHF, and/or VLC thread(s).  Staff will decide.

In the meantime, more unnecessary infighting will result in hidden posts and possible disciplinary actions.

Got it?  And those truly are two words.

AJ

• Like 7

I'm not sure which parts they updated, but a number of GMOs in East Texas have been converted to full build since January, and none of them are showing.

EDIT: NOLA area has a much less exaggerated LTE+ layer now. A few months ago they had made the whole thing solid.

Example before/after of a given tile:

2016-05-13-old-tile.png

2016-05-13-new-tile.png

Sprint really needs to change the yellow gradients on their data coverage map.  It's impossible to decipher things.

• Like 5

Yeah it's truly difficult to read whether it's best LTE Plus or fair LTE on the map, it's crazy how similar the shades are

Has anyone here reached out to Marcelo about this?

• Like 1

Let's forget about all this "faux 5G" talk and concentrate on the real deal!

Check this out!!!

Sprint small cell install with UE Relay backhaul in SoCal..

https://twitter.com/RFtelecomGuy/status/730545078263894016

hehehehehe...@tin aka atomic50

• Nokia Networks Flexi Zone B41 Pico Cell model FWHT-01
  • Airspan iRelay 460 LTE Band 41
  • Alpha Wireless AW3477-S 2496-2690 MHz Omni Antenna

1GQTR1Z.png

• Like 13

To all the recent infighting posts and members in this thread...

I have two words for you.  Brush your teeth!

Credit to those who recognize that terrible movie reference.

But, actually, the two words I have for you are -- simmer down now!

S4GRU probably should and will have dedicated 5G, EHF, and/or VLC thread(s).  Staff will decide.

In the meantime, more unnecessary infighting will result in hidden posts and possible disciplinary actions.

Got it?  And those truly are two words.

AJ

On behalf of Calhoun County, Jawja, I invite you to....(Simmer Donna?)

Yeah it's truly difficult to read whether it's best LTE Plus or fair LTE on the map, it's crazy how similar the shades are

Sprint has the coverage map messed up. There are areas that have band 41 coverage for months that still does not show on the map. These areas usually only have 1 or 2 towers with b41 online though but still.

On behalf of Calhoun County, Jawja, I invite you to....(Simmer Donna?)

"Ma'am, who is this queen of disco?"

220px-DonnaSummer-OnceUponATime-Front.jp

"Donna Summer"

"Now, how do her name appear in the phone book?"

"Summer, Donna"

"Stretch it out now.  Stretch it out."

"Summer Don-na"

"Loud and clear now."

"Summer Don-na"

"Keep going."

"Summer Don-na!"

"That's right.  Simmer down now!"