Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

You're putting too much stock into these "5G trials". As far as we are concerned, these tests are to determine if high band spectrum will actually work. There are no guarantees, even for small cell usage.

Since Verizon is attempting to buy a company out for both its fiber optic network and EHF holdings, I'm pretty confident in the tech. On top of this, lots of companies are coming out with new mmW based network tech. It's extremely promising, so I expect amazing results from the trials.

Since Verizon is attempting to buy a company out for both its fiber optic network and EHF holdings, I'm pretty confident in the tech.

We don't even know what the actual 'tech' is. Don't expect this '5G' to be used by cellphones if they are indeed going to use high band spectrum. Maybe fixed locations, but definitely not cellphones.

We don't even know what the actual 'tech' is. Don't expect this '5G' to be used by cellphones if they are indeed going to use high band spectrum. Maybe fixed locations, but definitely not cellphones.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wireless/millimeter-waves-may-be-the-future-of-5g-phones

According to Samsung in this article, by concentrating the radio energy into a narrow beam, a phone can receive/send the signal without upping Tx power. Would simply require very intelligent small cells, in theory. But you're right, a lot of this is theoretical. I just think chances are, it's the future. Everyone is throwing their hat in the mmW ring, including Sprint. Gonna be exciting few years!!

http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wireless/millimeter-waves-may-be-the-future-of-5g-phones

According to Samsung in this article, by concentrating the radio energy into a narrow beam, a phone can receive/send the signal without upping Tx power. Would simply require very intelligent small cells, in theory. But you're right, a lot of this is theoretical. I just think chances are, it's the future. Everyone is throwing their hat in the mmW ring, including Sprint. Gonna be exciting few years!!

Don't get me wrong, they could definitely make this work, BUT it won't be years...It will be decades. Making highband spectrum work on phones will be a challenge.

Since Verizon is attempting to buy a company out for both its fiber optic network and EHF holdings, I'm pretty confident in the tech. On top of this, lots of companies are coming out with new mmW based network tech. It's extremely promising, so I expect amazing results from the trials.

You are aware right now Verizon's trial are doing it from a WISP like distribution. Not mobile.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

You are aware right now Verizon's trial are doing it from a WISP like distribution. Not mobile.

Absolutely, but there is an extremely high chance they'll be experimenting with handheld radios to see results. 

Absolutely, but there is an extremely high chance they'll be experimenting with handheld radios to see results.

How much protection are you willing to wear being with in 3 feet of that high a frequency at 50mw. You will get burned

You're putting too much stock into these "5G trials". As far as we are concerned, these tests are to determine if high band spectrum will actually work. There are no guarantees, even for small cell usage.

Pretty interesting article about Mobilitie (which is Sprint's smallcell deployment partner) Vs Crown's own interpretation of deployment in similar areas and the challenges they face. The article even mention's UE relay on Mobilitie's proposal on this one particular site. 

http://www.steelintheair.com/Blog/2016/04/tale-of-two-small-cell-proposals-crown-castle-vs-mobilitie.html

Appearance review report for the sites is also on here...

Submitted in December, so Sprint has been going at it for a while.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2015/12/ARB2015-00082report.pdf

• Like 3

Pretty interesting article about Mobilitie (which is Sprint's smallcell deployment partner) Vs Crown's own interpretation of deployment in similar areas and the challenges they face. The article even mention's UE relay on Mobilitie's proposal on this one particular site.

http://www.steelintheair.com/Blog/2016/04/tale-of-two-small-cell-proposals-crown-castle-vs-mobilitie.html

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2015/12/ARB2015-00082report.pdf

One major takeaway from this is that Sprint is gonna be hit with a slower rollout compared to others due to the requests for 70-100' poles to get LoS signal. I wonder how the permitting is gonna go.

One major takeaway from this is that Sprint is gonna be hit with a slower rollout compared to others due to the requests for 70-100' poles to get LoS signal. I wonder how the permitting is gonna go.

Im certain that Marcelo's visit to FL to have talks with local government officials went smooth enough that they are confident to get these things get passed quite a bit quicker than previously possible since he was boasting about how well things went.

• Like 2

Im certain that Marcelo's visit to FL to have talks with local government officials went smooth enough that they are confident to get these things get passed quite a bit quicker than previously possible since he was boasting about how well things went.

ONE THING I gotta give them though - more 70-100' poles means far less DAS locations than Crown Castle - so Orlando won't be small cell block by block. So while rollout might be a bit slower, the cost won't be as high and coverage should be well coated.

My one question - and I'm sure this has been answered - but can these sites do CA?

ONE THING I gotta give them though - more 70-100' poles means far less DAS locations than Crown Castle - so Orlando won't be small cell block by block. So while rollout might be a bit slower, the cost won't be as high and coverage should be well coated.

My one question - and I'm sure this has been answered - but can these sites do CA?

Yes they can...

Here is one live in FL..

https://twitter.com/RFtelecomGuy/status/703746451327815682

• Like 2

That's a great article.  As I was reading it I was thinking Crown has been in the tower game for a while and seems like they know how to get permits approved quicker.  Hopefully Mobilitie doesn't hit snags trying to get their permits approved and their small cells deployed.

From the article:

1. First come, first served. Multiple wireless service providers or neutral hosts like Crown Castle or Mobilitie may be interested in a single location – but the first one to submit will typically get it.  In this case, the City of Orlando has required a separation distance between poles such that Mobilitie will be required to either co-locate on the Crown Castle pole (which is next to impossible) or find another pole outside the area of separation.

This is concerning. I totally understand the eyesore concerns. But CCI/Verizon has already grabbed so many prime locations that this rule, if adopted by other cities, could really muck up competition. And isn't there something in the telecom act of '96 that says you can't deny permits on the basis of "another carrier already offers service here"? Not sure if that applies here since these will be mostly for capacity, but it could probably be argued in a court if the city explicitly states something along the lines of "it's first-come-first-served" since small cells AFAIK are not co-locatable.

Which brings me to another point. Carriers do need to figure something out for eyesore and redundancy concerns.

(Of course this wouldn't be an issue with shared infrastructure which would pretty much solve all of these problems, but I don't want to get into politics.)

Stackable pole antennas. Shared antennas. Something. This problem is just gonna get bigger.

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't all poles at a consistent height be less of an eyesore than having sporadically placed poles that are much taller than others?  In which case, the more the merrier!

- Trip

• Like 1

Looks like Rootmetrics released all 1st half 2016 airport reports. Sprint did decent. Lots of 2nd place and 3rd place finishes, marked improvement for sure.

I don't seem to see them. Maybe error on their part?

Do you see the 2015 airport reports at least?

Oh sorry, I glossed over a rather important word - 'airport.' I do see a lot more 2016 entries, but a slew of 2015 too.

As i am sitting in one of my favorite in the middle of the east valley to eat, right next to a tower that hasn't even seen NV 1.0 upgrades yet, i have a hard time believing Sprint is still planning on being the number one or two network in 80 percent of markets .

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As i am sitting in one of my favorite in the middle of the east valley to eat, right next to a tower that hasn't even seen NV 1.0 upgrades yet, i have a hard time believing Sprint is still planning on being the number one or two network in 80 percent of markets .

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Not sure where you are, but I see a permit has been pulled for one of them that seems telecom-esque. Phoenix's permitting site isn't being nice right now though.

Figured I'd make mention of it in here too...

I spotted the 3rd carrier of B41 in the North Wisconsin market last night!!

If you're a premier sponsor, I posted it in our market thread or click here. (If not, now's a good time to donate!)

This totally caught me off guard. I wasn't really expecting it for awhile here because only large cities have had it been spotted, so this was quite awesome to see. It also shows that Sprint as a whole is really starting to get the ball rolling again on work now that it's nice out! Can't wait to see what other changes come our way... :)

• Like 5