Google Hangouts w/Voice (Was Google Voice)

COZisBack

Oh, I'm pretty sure they are done with GV app, since they are doing full GV to Hangouts.

I'm not so sure about that. between voicemail transcription {does hangouts do this?} and cloud services. I can see them having something up their sleeve and just waiting til mvno is released to to update the app. Getting rid of voice means the voice website would be deprecated. And that's not happening. Hangouts can handle the front end. But who knows.

I'm not so sure about that. between voicemail transcription {does hangouts do this?} and cloud services. I can see them having something up their sleeve and just waiting til mvno is released to to update the app. Getting rid of voice means the voice website would be deprecated. And that's not happening. Hangouts can handle the front end. But who knows.

Yes Hangouts does do transcribing and im not entirely sure what you mean by cloud, but the hangouts app once fully integrated does support receiving and sending messages from the browser or desktop app, and also backs up all text on hangouts.

Yes Hangouts does do transcribing and im not entirely sure what you mean by cloud, but the hangouts app once fully integrated does support receiving and sending messages from the browser or desktop app, and also backs up all text on hangouts.

Can you retrieve all your old messages on hangouts? Like from 3 years ago? From old handset? That's what I meant by cloud. And see missed calls and sent and received calls? The Orig integration scared me off with all the complaints. Maybe I should give it a go again.

Can you retrieve all your old messages on hangouts? Like from 3 years ago? From old handset? That's what I meant by cloud. And see missed calls and sent and received calls? The Orig integration scared me off with all the complaints. Maybe I should give it a go again.

All messages before switching over stay on gvoice website, but messages after switching to hangouts stays on gmail chat from day 1.

I've been playing with the integration for the past hour or so. I like the voice part of it. Being able to forward my voice calls to my work cell is nice. I'm not convinced that I like the text message part of it. I had been using Google Messenger for my sms msgs, keeping them separate from Hangouts. Is there any way to still do this? It seems Hangouts wants to take over all messaging after I did the integration. Maybe I just missed something.

Sent from my Note 4.

All messages before switching over stay on gvoice website, but messages after switching to hangouts stays on gmail chat for from day 1 till now.

How does it work if you don't use Hangouts for texting? I use full GV integration, but I still receive messages through the network rather than GV. I would like to still be able to do that.

I've been playing with the integration for the past hour or so. I like the voice part of it. Being able to forward my voice calls to my work cell is nice. I'm not convinced that I like the text message part of it. I had been using Google Messenger for my sms msgs, keeping them separate from Hangouts. Is there any way to still do this? It seems Hangouts wants to take over all messaging after I did the integration. Maybe I just missed something.

Sent from my Note 4.

There is option in hangouts to enable/disable SMS to hangouts.

I think I spoke too soon. I'm going to leave it be for now. I just found out I can now send and receive sms from my computer and tablet. That's a pretty cool feature. I should've done this long ago.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

I think I spoke too soon. I'm going to leave it be for now. I just found out I can now send and receive sms from my computer and tablet. That's a pretty cool feature. I should've done this long ago.

Sent from my Note 4.

That is about 80% of the reason I use the feature, plus having your older messages accessible via your gmail is also a plus.

That is about 80% of the reason I use the feature, plus having your older messages accessible via your gmail is also a plus.

How obvious is it within Hangouts which are texts and which are chats? I've been hesitant to integrate into Hangouts because I use it for chat a lot, not sure how I feel about getting texts mixed in there. 

How does it work if you don't use Hangouts for texting? I use full GV integration, but I still receive messages through the network rather than GV. I would like to still be able to do that.

Im not 100% sure what your asking.

How obvious is it within Hangouts which are texts and which are chats? I've been hesitant to integrate into Hangouts because I use it for chat a lot, not sure how I feel about getting texts mixed in there. 

Text are labeled SMS and hangouts are not on the desktop. The app on the phone actually says "via google voice" or via "carrier sms" and if it has no label its just plain hangouts messages.

Im not 100% sure what your asking.

I think you answered it in a reply to someone else. I don't want to receive texts in Hangouts on my phone, I want to continue using the texting app. However, I want to be able to send and receive texts on my computer/tablet. It sounds like that is possible?

I think you answered it in a reply to someone else. I don't want to receive texts in Hangouts on my phone, I want to continue using the texting app. However, I want to be able to send and receive texts on my computer/tablet. It sounds like that is possible?

with GV Desktop chrome app you can still do this.

It sounds like you can disable SMS in hangouts and use your SMS app as normal. You'll probably get duplicates of everything through hangouts via google voice though.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

That's what I use now. Is that still the case if I choose to integrate GV with Hangouts like it keeps prompting me to.

Edit: You were editing as I was quoting looks like.

Once you integrate with Hangouts, the GV app is no longer used.

Once you integrate with Hangouts, the GV app is no longer used.

I think we are getting confused, so maybe I should just start over.

I currently use Google Voice. I am fully integrated, my GV number is my Sprint number. I use the Google Chrome extension on my computer, and GV app on my tablet. However, on my phone, I have texts sent to my device rather than the Google Voice app. 

If I integrate GV into Hangouts, can I still have texts sent to my device (not Hangouts) AND be able to respond via a computer or tablet. 

I think we are getting confused, so maybe I should just start over.

I currently use Google Voice. I am fully integrated, my GV number is my Sprint number. I use the Google Chrome extension on my computer, and GV app on my tablet. However, on my phone, I have texts sent to my device rather than the Google Voice app. 

If I integrate GV into Hangouts, can I still have texts sent to my device (not Hangouts) AND be able to respond via a computer or tablet.

Yes, just keep that SMS option disabled on hangouts app.

So I guess I did answer that question earlier, just wasn't sure.

I have posted something similar to this before -- maybe even in this thread -- but I will post it again.  Google is backing the wrong horse.  Google Voice, not Google Hangouts, should be the primary service.  Add chat and MMS to Google Voice instead.

The Google Voice web site may be plain, but it is great.  It does what it needs to do on the desktop -- send/receive SMS and collect voicemail.

Meanwhile, Google Hangouts on computer requires a bullshit Chrome extension.  Hey, I may have Chrome on my desktop, but I would rather continue with Safari for personal use and Firefox for professional use.

And then there is the Google Hangouts mobile app.  With integration, are SMS being sent/received via actual SMS protocol or via data transport?  I have no idea.  I want transparency and redundancy.  With an SMS app, I use SMS via actual SMS protocol -- no data usage.  With Google Voice, I use SMS via data transport.  I get to pick and choose between the two based on circumstances.  SMS protocol is great while roaming; data transport is great while on Wi-Fi.

Finally, Google Hangouts is an awful name.  I am sure it is cool if you are a 17 year old girl or a Magenta hipster, but it does not sound appropriate if you are an adult professional.  If Google wants a "central" service for all messaging types, go back to GrandCentral -- the name of the service that Google acquired to become Google Voice.

Grrr, Google Hangouts can go hang itself.

AJ

• Like 6

I'm still going to try it for a while and see how it goes. I do have a question though. Since sms now goes over the data channel only, what happens when you are in a 1x area (native or roaming)? Will the sms just not go through? If so, I guess when I go to an area like that, is it best to disable the integration?

Sent from my Note 4.

I have posted something similar to this before -- maybe even in this thread -- but I will post it again. Google is backing the wrong horse. Google Voice, not Google Hangouts, should be the primary service. Add chat and MMS to Google Voice instead.

The Google Voice web site may be plain, but it is great. It does what it needs to do on the desktop -- send/receive SMS and collect voicemail.

Meanwhile, Google Hangouts on computer requires a bullshit Chrome extension. Hey, I may have Chrome on my desktop, but I would rather continue with Safari for personal use and Firefox for professional use.

And then there is the Google Hangouts mobile app. With integration, are SMS being sent/received via actual SMS protocol or via data transport? I have no idea. I want transparency and redundancy. With an SMS app, I use SMS via actual SMS protocol -- no data usage. With Google Voice, I use SMS via data transport. I get to pick and choose between the two based on circumstances. SMS protocol is great while roaming; data transport is great while on Wi-Fi.

Finally, Google Hangouts is an awful name. I am sure it is cool if you are a 17 year old girl or a Magenta hipster, but it does not sound appropriate if you are an adult professional. If Google wants a "central" service for all messaging types, go back to GrandCentral -- the name of the service that Google acquired to become Google Voice.

Grrr, Google Hangouts can go hang itself.

AJ

I completely Agree!

And, for all of the same reasons that you mentioned, I have not 'integrated' my Google Voice with Google Hangouts, and I won't do it anytime soon.

Is there any service/app out there that, from the same app, let's me do IP based messaging to those that have the same client while doing SMS to those that don't? While Hangouts does support both I agree with the comments above: I want to be able to decide between using IP and SMS myself and even mix the two in the same conversation if needed based on my network situation.

Meanwhile, Google Hangouts on computer requires a bullshit Chrome extension. Hey, I may have Chrome on my desktop, but I would rather continue with Safari for personal use and Firefox for professional use.

And then there is the Google Hangouts mobile app. With integration, are SMS being sent/received via actual SMS protocol or via data transport? I have no idea. I want transparency and redundancy. With an SMS app, I use SMS via actual SMS protocol -- no data usage. With Google Voice, I use SMS via data transport. I get to pick and choose between the two based on circumstances. SMS protocol is great while roaming; data transport is great while on Wi-Fi.

Google may not want to support another platform via browser. I don't really agree with it, but I understand why they want Hangouts/Google Voice in Chrome and not a competing browser they don't have control over.

When you integrate Google Voice with Hangouts, there is a toggle to send via SMS/MMS, via Google Voice, and via Hangouts next to where you enter your message. Each message shows how it was sent (SMS, Google Voice, or Hangouts).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk