Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

So today I went to restart my Galaxy S5 that is primarily a hotspot. And to my suprise I see screen burn in... Looks like it isnt such a great idea to leave signalcheck displayed 24/7. lol. Is there any way to fix screen burn in? or is my screen stuck with the Signalcheck burned into it? Its not a huge deal. Im just curious.

You'll have to ask mikejeep in the SCP thread if he can add Screen Reset as a new feature [emoji16] [emoji6]

You'll have to ask mikejeep in the SCP thread if he can add Screen Reset as a new feature [emoji16] [emoji6]

I wish you was serious...  LOL.  I know my screen is pretty much stuck with SCP burned into it.  Its not a huge deal.  Like i said thats my Hotspot phone.  So I dont really mess with it unless I am reseting my connection.  I was just curious thats all.

Has anyone else tried their S5 underwater?

Yup, I've used it in the pool, stuck it under the sink to wash it off after the kiddos mess with it, gotten soak with the hose while cleaning the house.  Survives just fine.

Touchscreen gets a little wonky when covered in water - can't really use it underwater either....but really, pretty minor inconvenience considering :)

I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a non-waterproof phone.

• Like 2

Yup, I've used it in the pool, stuck it under the sink to wash it off after the kiddos mess with it, gotten soak with the hose while cleaning the house. Survives just fine.

Touchscreen gets a little wonky when covered in water - can't really use it underwater either....but really, pretty minor inconvenience considering :)

I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a non-waterproof phone.

Agreed here. You can snap a picture using the volume keys (if set up in camera settings) if you open the camera before it gets wet. I did it once out of principle but never again [emoji1]

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

• Like 1

Thanks a ton for the feedback! That explained everything perfectly! I also forgot to add LTE speeds were down. Last night after I posted, I decided to power off my phone for a minute or two. Something I didnt do after system updated to 4.4.4. I live in between 2 LTE towers. One is about a mile away, and the other is about a little over a mile. I can't get any LTE signsls at home. Some late nights if I'm standing outside I'd pick up a LTE signal here or there at -117 to -119 dBm when i had my S4. To make a long story short, I left home this morning on the normal 3G signals. As soon as i drove about 5 tenths of a mile, I seen the very quick handoff to LTE at -109 dBm! My S4 hardly ever did that, only when i got close to the site. On way to work, I held LTE signals for miles passing through, and by locations that had it, which didnt happen when i got the phone last Saturday. I've noticed quicker handoffs to 3G areas that don't have LTE.

As for being at work, my S4 had speeds anywhere between 15-22 Mpbs depending on the day. Yesterday speeds were way below ranging between 8-10 Mpbs. Then again, maybe it was that kind of day. Did more tests today, and got what I expected! Can't wait to use the other bands in FL in next couple of weeks while on vacation! I love this phone!

Thanks again for the very useful information!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hf44c00giclxnf2/AAAqdUr0CFzmRsQVVu95zefia?dl=0

More sites needs to be LTE before you see a better experience.  Here in the south bay, rarely dropping to 3G on my Samsung S5 or iPhone 6. (only when putting in our pocket but again it will latch on LTE within a few minutes once you have it outside your pocket)

I recently had my S5 unlocked by Sprint.  I noticed roaming option was not available under more networks.  Did it move somewhere?

lC9WmDY.png?1

I don't have that issue.

Just recently upgraded from the s4 to the s5 and I love the phone but man the lte is giving me tons of issues...for example just switching off of wifi my phone never connects to a network I have to airplane mode recycle the device. On top of that I noticed my phone will stick to 3g and when it trys to connect back to lte it will either not work at all so I would have to reboot my phone or it would freeze my phone completely so requiring a battery pull. Considering I have had this happen to me about 3 times in the week I have had the phone. My s4 connected great to lte now in areas where I used to have great signal I have bad signal on the s5 or In areas I know lte is their I have 3g.... I know this phone is tri-band but don't see why it would cause this much trouble.

Is it me, or is the S5 weak on call volume when being on calls outside, where there's noise to little noise? Boosting it with extra volume still sound low. Even inside a building where it can be a little loud, it still sounds low.

Is it me, or is the S5 weak on call volume when being on calls outside, where there's noise to little noise? Boosting it with extra volume still sound low. Even inside a building where it can be a little loud, it still sounds low.

well, it's you.  :) 

Actually, I don't have any issue with hearing callers in any venue unless they are calling from another network or mumbling or muffling their voice by covering the microphone hole.  HD calls are super loud actually, have to turn it down. 

• Like 1

I recently had my S5 unlocked by Sprint.  I noticed roaming option was not available under more networks.  Did it move somewhere?

lC9WmDY.png?1

I had this issue with a brand new S5.  you have to completely wipe the phone and do a full brand new restoration.  You will notice other settings missing as well.  Doing this fixed mine.

well, it's you.  :) 

Actually, I don't have any issue with hearing callers in any venue unless they are calling from another network or mumbling or muffling their voice by covering the microphone hole.  HD calls are super loud actually, have to turn it down.

True. I experienced my first S5 HD call last weekend in a heavily lit LTE location, meeting up with a friend who was also in the same area. Very crisp, clear, and way too loud.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone want to buy an Otterbox Defender case New in box from me? I got it as a gift and its too bulky. Its really sturdy.

If anyone buys it from me, i'll donate some proceeds to the S4GRU coffers.

$35 OBO

Gunmetal Grey.

http://www.otterbox.com/Defender-Series-for-Samsung-GALAXY-S5/sam2-galaxy-s5-set,default,pd.html

• The Defender Series GALAXY S5 case delivers rugged protection in color combinations you create
  • Multi-layer, custom GALAXY S5 case readies your new phone for heavy use and potential mishaps
  • This is the rugged GALAXY S5 case that lets you use your high-end device in demanding conditions and rough environments without worry
  • Wrap your GALAXY S5 with trusted OtterBox protection, and enjoy using it everywhere

• 2 weeks later...

My wife had an issue with her s5, it would do fine with data on roaming and Wi-Fi, but native data would not work at all. It sounds like a b.s. issue, but we even had the tech see it happen...she found something about a network protocol update that didn't work correctly and caused the issue (said she saw it on Sprint forums)...but at any rate, she reloaded my wife's Rom from their computer in the Corp store. Just happens they had lollipop on their computer for the s5 and she got it already . This was last Monday.

Sent from my LGLS990

• Like 2

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-samsung-galaxy-s5-owners-can-now-update-android-50-lollipop

Would think the Lollipop update should be hitting Sprint soon since Verizon owners have theirs coming!

This is the second time in a row that VZW has beaten Sprint.  I certainly thought we would have a solid ROM by now. 

My wife had an issue with her s5, it would do fine with data on roaming and Wi-Fi, but native data would not work at all. It sounds like a b.s. issue, but we even had the tech see it happen...she found something about a network protocol update that didn't work correctly and caused the issue (said she saw it on Sprint forums)...but at any rate, she reloaded my wife's Rom from their computer in the Corp store. Just happens they had lollipop on their computer for the s5 and she got it already . This was last Monday.

Sent from my LGLS990

Are you the guy trolling all the forums with tales of getting NL2 from a corp store?  Is it NL2 on her device?

This data issue was caused by an application called "ItsOn" that was rejecting data sent from Sprint.  It's been corrected on their side (server issue most likely), but someone claimed that Sprint Corp store in St. Pete loaded NL2 Lollipop on their phone when they were trying to fix it.  We called the store, but no one knew anything about the NL2 software fix speaking with their techs.

(kidding about you not telling truths, just confused as to what's going on with this Lollipopers update)